Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

What EXACTLY is the problem when trying to go with a bigger throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 02:43 PM
M-train

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What EXACTLY is the problem when trying to go with a bigger throttle body?

I'm trying to get my head around this, and I've read everything on here, the Maxima, and Altima forums about doing this.

So if there was some way to just keep all of the "guts", and wiring harness out of the stock tb, and just put it all into a bigger housing with a bigger throttle plate, would it work?

Or, is it the increased air flow just too much for the stock ECU, or an Uprev tuner to cope with? [heard time, and time again where people are having trouble trying to tune for the bigger tb with uprev].

Last edited by M-train; 12-10-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:04 PM
che69velle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you na or fi, I'm getting 548rwhp with twin turbo on a stock tb.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:00 PM
jwttz

Na forum.....
I would wager to say that he is probably na.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

many factors if you are start from a stock Z car...

bolting it up
making a proper intake for it
tuning it

continue reading and searching around
Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by jwttz
Na forum.....
I would wager to say that he is probably na.
This.

I've already finished building my engine, and I've already got my intake modded for a bigger tb.

But, for this engine to realize its full potential I will have to go bigger with the TB, and the mass air tube.

I talked with someone on Voltage drop, and they do in fact make a harness for a GM 90mm tb [same make as stock Nissan], BUT they don't list it on their website as nobody has seem to be able to make it work, even with Uprev tuning.

From what I have read I can drop around $2k, and buy a Haltech, and just drop the flybywire tb, but for now I just don't have that kinda money laying around.

Last edited by M-train; 12-11-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:43 PM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to go to an old school cable setup. I have yet to drive an electric setup that responds as fast and as crisp as a cable operated system. Wish there was a cheap and easy way to fool the electronics and go cable.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:14 PM
M-train

I know a guy on the Altima forums that is running the Haltech Platinum, and according to him you can run a cable TB, but damned that's a lot of money.

The Uprev tuner is around $800 which is within reach price wise, but if it's not able to tune for a bigger TB, then it really wouldn't be worth it for me.

Last edited by M-train; 12-11-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:23 PM
cashmoney03

Oh I know it can be done. Just not cheap haha.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:17 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by cashmoney03
Oh I know it can be done. Just not cheap haha.
I hear you on that note.

I'm with you I hate the flybywire tech. Cables did the job for years with not too much problems, and they, both the cable, and the tb were relatively cheap to replace.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 PM
reno56

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey M-train, what kind of manifold you using? whats the diameter on the opening? just curious as I got the crawford which is about 78mm in diameter but could probably be ported to 80mm and as a result I settled with the 2009 maxima TB for now..
Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Why cant you just hook up the stock electronic throttle body motor directly to a cable throttle body without the spring?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:42 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by reno56
hey M-train, what kind of manifold you using? whats the diameter on the opening? just curious as I got the crawford which is about 78mm in diameter but could probably be ported to 80mm and as a result I settled with the 2009 maxima TB for now..
I custom built my intake, and it now has 90mm tb potential.

Last edited by M-train; 12-16-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Why cant you just hook up the stock electronic throttle body motor directly to a cable throttle body without the spring?
I asked a question similar to yours on a different forum. Here is the best answer I got on the question.

"With a slightly larger TB the factory/stock ECU will be confused as it is comparing the flow of air in real time with what it is programmed to see, thus it will simply correct for the increase by altering the fuel trims and retarding timing. With massive increase in air flow the ECU will freak out and not really be able to correct for this massive increase, which will result in very undesireable driveability issues..if it would even run. Simply put it is best to go aftermarket piggy back or full stand alone."
Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 PM
cashmoney03

So why do the domestics not have the issues we do? It's an incredibly common mod to jump to a 90mm or 92mm throttle body and with a tune runs like stock
Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM
joranginous

I have limited knowledge with the uprev tuner but, I believe a good tuner can get the car running like stock by adjusting the k value and carrying on with the rest of the tune with the uprev software to get it running in its sweet spot. Also, the uprev program can improve the throttle response as nissan has a soft throttle response programmed in probably to help wear and tear.

Last edited by joranginous; 12-16-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

I think a properly "tuned" intake and manifold would do better than just slapping on a bigger TB. By "tuned" I mean tuned to the engine and exhaust, not software tuned.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:16 PM
jonnyidfw

Great Thread Guys, I am also getting close to finish line on my build, I am doing VQ35DE w/ 96mm 9.5cpr Wiseco Forged Pistons, Darton Sleeves, Eagle Rods, Greddy TT, E85/FlexFuel, JWT C8 Cams, but with a Haltech Platinum Pro Plug In(Standalone)... And I also bought both GM 90mm TB's that have been tested/Used so far, reason I have both TB's is I am hoping to make one work, of course with a custom at LEAST Upper plenum, so I would like to hear from anyone on here that has had ANY success or input on what was done, how far you got nd/or why you stopped there??? Looking forward to any and all useful input anyone on here may have. I do know that with quite abit of research on the forums and net in general, there is some really info out there, just no end results..... I know that with a TT Setup this would make pretty good gains in HP!

Last edited by jonnyidfw; 12-21-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: .....
Old 12-23-2014, 08:22 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there's not enough control with UPrev. Who knows what those tables are doing. I made the excel calculator to play with the throttle curves, but dont notice much.

Other cars can jump to big TB bc they have the programming in their setup to do so.

I can run any DBW I want with my Proefi. It doesnt incorporate cruise control yet, so I still just use the stock ECU for now.

Good luck getting the Haltech to work. If it uses spark timing to control idle, it might be ok, if the voltages the 90mm needs are close to the stock TB. I'm guessing they are not, other wise the Titan guys would still be selling their 90mm TB mod.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:31 PM
SurraTT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW the 350z plug in haltech is supposed to be able to control larger dbw tb's when it first came out that was one of the questions i asked.

i'm not on the forums enough to see if anyone here has done this yet? since the ecu is plug in for you, it should be fairly simple to mess around with a 90mm gb tb.

str8dum1- aren't you 6spd now? with plug in haltech ecu? edit nvm lol

if anyone is running the pro plug in 350z ecu haltech pm me.

Last edited by SurraTT; 01-20-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM
M-train

Originally Posted by str8dum1
there's not enough control with UPrev. Who knows what those tables are doing. I made the excel calculator to play with the throttle curves, but dont notice much.

Other cars can jump to big TB bc they have the programming in their setup to do so.

I can run any DBW I want with my Proefi. It doesnt incorporate cruise control yet, so I still just use the stock ECU for now.

Good luck getting the Haltech to work. If it uses spark timing to control idle, it might be ok, if the voltages the 90mm needs are close to the stock TB. I'm guessing they are not, other wise the Titan guys would still be selling their 90mm TB mod.
Here is just some thinking out loud, and maybe I waaaay off, but here we go.

From what I've been reading here on the other posts on the subject, it would seem that its hard to nail down the fuel flow to match the air flow.

I have to wonder if the missing link is stepping up to bigger fuel injectors, and fuel pump. Might fool the computer, and make tuning with the Uprev a bit more precise.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: What EXACTLY is the problem when trying to go with a bigger throttle body?