Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Newbie needing advice/info

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 AM
shortbus1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needing advice/info

Hey all, I just reigstered here and have a few questions. However I will give you the low down first.

I currently do not have a Z, though I am looking to buy one. I have been driving a lifted Tacoma for the past 3 years and love offroading but I feel a need for a change to something sporty and fast. I have loved the Z since the day it hit the dealerships and have decided that's what I want now.

I plan to pick up a gently used 2003 model with the 6-speed tranny. I would like any adivce on what to look for, if the models have had any problems or recalls, and your honest opinions about the Z. Everyone has their likes and dislikes about their ride so Im curious as to what all yours are.

I have been a good contributing member of two Tacoma clubs over the past few years and I look forward to doing the same here. Thanks in advance guys and gals and take care!

-Jason
Old 07-15-2005, 11:31 AM
JoeyFyed

From my knowledge most 2003's and some 2004's have a few problems such as tire feathering and numerous TSB's. Some people can live with it and fix it if such a problem arises. But if i were you, id stick with the 2005 models, pretty much everyone i know has no TIRE feathering after 10+K miles, they do have a slight pull to the right, but nothing dramatic. All in all, ill stick with getting the 2005 or even 2006 when it comes out. But its your money, do as you please.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Nissan website to learn about model differences.

I generally agree with above post but would include 04 models. But have a mechanic give any car a through going-over.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 PM
JoeyFyed

Off-Topic. But Brickyard, you picked an amazing color. Ive only seen one where i live, and i live in Los Angeles.... =]
Old 07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
SFZ

Originally Posted by shortbus1981
Hey all, I just reigstered here and have a few questions. However I will give you the low down first.

I currently do not have a Z, though I am looking to buy one. I have been driving a lifted Tacoma for the past 3 years and love offroading but I feel a need for a change to something sporty and fast. I have loved the Z since the day it hit the dealerships and have decided that's what I want now.

I plan to pick up a gently used 2003 model with the 6-speed tranny. I would like any adivce on what to look for, if the models have had any problems or recalls, and your honest opinions about the Z. Everyone has their likes and dislikes about their ride so Im curious as to what all yours are.

I have been a good contributing member of two Tacoma clubs over the past few years and I look forward to doing the same here. Thanks in advance guys and gals and take care!

-Jason
Welcome aboard Jason,
I have a used 03 myself. Maybe I'm lucky but no tire feathering here. When I got it, it had some well worn 17'' stockers on and the tires had no feathering issues. Since then I've upgraded twice (need to update my sig) and still no issues. I think Brickyard is right on when he suggests having a mechanic look it over, definitley could save you some trouble later. Some folks here mention an axle clicking issue and once you are on here long enough you'll come across the "my transmission is grinding in...(pick your gear of choice) posts. Remeber that the vast majority of folks have little to no problems (my opinion anyway) with the car, but like anything else, it's not perfect. Long story short, if the price is right and it checks out okay, I wouldn't be afraid to go used.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:34 PM
shortbus1981

Thanks for all the responses guys. It's greatly appreciated. I have done some reading here and have come across a lot of what seems to be negative stuff about the Z's, especially the 03's. That leaves me concerned. I have had my Tacoma (a 2000 model) for three years with not a single issue what so ever. And being a memeber of two Tacoma clubs I have never heard such a laundry list of complaints like I am seeing here. I love the Z's look and it's performance numbers, but if the thing is going to be plagued with problems....I might just not do it. I would have a mechanic shop take a look prior to me buying though. I have a family friend that co-owns a shop and I'd have him look over it. I can't afford an 04 or 05, but it seems the 03 is problem plagued. Hmm... a lot to think about. I am honestly sad by all this.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:43 PM
ZRA

Cool

Hi Jason,
Welcome to the forum. Visit the Nissan website: www.nissan usa.com and see what models and options they offer. Pick what you can afford. My opinion would be a used 04 or 05 model. Have someone who is familiar with the Z check it out for you. Good luck.

05 SB touring, Nismo front chin spoiler, rear deck spoiler, polished SS front grill.