New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Do topless drivers have more fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 AM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do topless drivers have more fun

I was going to buy a convertible Z and then thought about the car jackings and people stealing cars and the road rage and what not. All that stuff can still happen to you in the regular Z. But I just think I would feel alot safer if the vehicle had a top.

I had things all mapped out I have a 2 car garage and I was always going to leave the top down. But there will be occasions where I go to walmart and stay an hour or two. I don't want anyone trying to steal my car or a jealous person to do something to it. So I don't thiink I will get a roadster.

But it seems to me that topless drivers have more fun they have the wind in their hair and have all that fresh air wipping around them. And at night time at the beach having the top down would be a real treat...holla at me on this whether I should go topless or not....
Old 12-15-2005, 10:32 AM
macca44

yep definitely topless, i only put the top up when its raining, even in winter top down and heater on full
Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 AM
BENSIN

Depends on gender I guess.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:48 AM
350ZZack

I have fun when girls are topless...
Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Sin

not good for going over 120......And I live in one of the not sooo good parts of town.........

and only like girls with eye patches and knife fetishes!!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by UBERMENSCH
But it seems to me that topless drivers have more fun they have the wind in their hair and have all that fresh air wipping around them. And at night time at the beach having the top down would be a real treat...holla at me on this whether I should go topless or not....
I wouldn't weigh the foreseeable nuisances as much as I would practicality and how you intend to use it. If they want to steal your car, key your car; they're gonna do it Roadster or not. Do you live in a good convert climate? Is this your daily driver?
You live near the beach? Sounds like the vert is for you
Old 12-15-2005, 10:52 AM
FairladyZX

I luv crusing with my babes & friends in my ZR. No worrys about stealing, car jacking, terroriest threats and etc. If they want it then take it, I'll just hand 'em the keys and get myself a 06' GTZR instead. Lolz
Old 12-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Sin

Your tune wouldn't be so happy if you had to have replaced 6 tires in 6k miles... 2 of which were when the car was... oh..... 5 hours old.... Like I said luck of the draw...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 PM
06daytona

If you just like crusin and dont care too much about performance i would deff go w/ the ZR but if you want power and stability, i would go with the hard top.

ps- not saying you cant get hp out of a ZR but hard tops are better on stability.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:47 PM
pisces9ca

Default Definitely Topless!

There is NOTHING like cruisen' on the open road with pretty much a 360' view all around. This is even good for spotting cops,( even in airplanes) as they try to keep you down under 85-90 mph on some nice stretch of open road. I love that feelin'!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out topless test driving the Porsche Boxster and Carrera, BMW and the Z350.

I found that the noise was an issue - not so much the wind but the music other people play out blasting mine.

I found that even with the top up the heat burned through the Nissan's top. Porsche has three layers with the middle layer being some sort of felt pad.

The dust not only settles on the dash but the exaust from the cars around you also get you.

And then there is that nasty thing called the sun. That nuclear reactor causes a bunch of cancer and I don't have the disipline to wear a hat and sun lotion all the time.

And finally the looks. The Z looks best with the hardtop. The top on the roadster just doesn't flow with the lines of the car. The new Porsche Caymen has a nice solution to this and I might have bought it if it were to have come out a couple years ago (I don't buy first year cars!).

Take the roadsters for a ride on a nice sunny day. The Porsche, Audi, Nissan, and BMW dealers were more than willing to let me take solo test drives. When you're looking at 40-70K cars they ought to treat you well.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:18 PM
FairladyZX

Again, the Z was originally designed to be a roadster!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:25 PM
350ztoronto

^

shiet, didnt know that
Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

I might get a ZR after all. I live in Florida, where it is sunny all day every day. Occasionally it drops down to 50 or 45. That's it. At it's worst 34 degress but that is only during December to January.So I might go topless
Old 12-15-2005, 04:00 PM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I started out topless test driving the Porsche Boxster and Carrera, BMW and the Z350.

I found that the noise was an issue - not so much the wind but the music other people play out blasting mine.

I found that even with the top up the heat burned through the Nissan's top. Porsche has three layers with the middle layer being some sort of felt pad.

The dust not only settles on the dash but the exaust from the cars around you also get you.

And then there is that nasty thing called the sun. That nuclear reactor causes a bunch of cancer and I don't have the disipline to wear a hat and sun lotion all the time.

And finally the looks. The Z looks best with the hardtop. The top on the roadster just doesn't flow with the lines of the car. The new Porsche Caymen has a nice solution to this and I might have bought it if it were to have come out a couple years ago (I don't buy first year cars!).

Take the roadsters for a ride on a nice sunny day. The Porsche, Audi, Nissan, and BMW dealers were more than willing to let me take solo test drives. When you're looking at 40-70K cars they ought to treat you well.

I thought about the dust and exhaust from other cars. I have a 98 maxima now and I would hardly ever drive with the windows down. Always had that AC blowin. And with gas prices so high, I have been driving occasionally with the 2 front windows down and I notice the dust considerably. But If I go topless I just anticipate cleaning the interior alot more often...
Old 12-15-2005, 04:20 PM
ZZTopless

Originally Posted by UBERMENSCH
I was going to buy a convertible Z and then thought about the car jackings and people stealing cars and the road rage and what not. All that stuff can still happen to you in the regular Z. But I just think I would feel alot safer if the vehicle had a top.

I had things all mapped out I have a 2 car garage and I was always going to leave the top down. But there will be occasions where I go to walmart and stay an hour or two. I don't want anyone trying to steal my car or a jealous person to do something to it. So I don't thiink I will get a roadster.

I'm sure by my screen name, you can tell where I stand on this one already
but I'll add my 0.02 for what it's worth.

I took a few coupes out for test drives (both as driver and passenger) and then test drove the roadster. I was concerned about the loss of torsional rigidity, and was extremely impressed by the absence of noticable flex during the drive (salesperson gave a test drive more exciting than a good day at Busch Gardens).

My car was purchased for fun only - I don't have to drive it every day and I try hard to avoid driving it if I'm not going to be able to have the top down, because it's a heck of a fun convertible. I don't think I would necessarily have the car as a daily driver, but I'm also not sure I'd choose to have the coupe as a daily driver.

I put the top up whenever parked somewhere (including my garage) as it's better for the top to store it up. It drops quite quickly and operates with one flick of a lever, so I don't find it that inconvenient.

On the flip side, you're not going to get maximum performance/$ from the roadster as others have noted. But, for me, the tradeoff in additional weight vs. the coupe and the likelihood that it will be uncomfortable at the drag strip were outweighed by the day-to-day fun of cruising with the top down. It's really all about what you're getting the car for and what you enjoy.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:29 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get 1 of each!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 PM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

I feel ya, I am still not sure which one to get though, I'll have to test drive them both and see.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:32 PM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

Originally Posted by InSaNeZ
Get 1 of each!
I have a 98 max that I plan on keeping so I will have 2 cars as it is. so no need for that, but thanks for the suggestion.