Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

just got my '07 Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:32 AM
aonyoung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my '07 Z

i just got mine like 2 weeks ago, and this is my first sport car i have ever had. i just wondering when should i go back to nissan dealer to do the service.. (500 miles?)

thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 05:23 AM
mcurry5

You might want to read the manual. I dont believe it says anything about 500 miles. If you are just going to guess when servicing your car, you might want have a very very good mechanic work on it to fix all your problems.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:25 AM
mcurry5

What happened to the lost art of actually reading a manual ?????????????? Must be a new generation of drivers or something. I have always read the manual of cars I have owned. Even used ones. It only makes sense. Haha thats the problem, people have no common sense now a days.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:28 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you check on the Nissan Site in the Owners section, there is an online guide to Maintenance intervals - i.e. when to bring in for what.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 PM
VENOMSZ

Be mindful of the Nissan Dealerships.
They are known to do "things" to
peoples cars...not good things either.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:10 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome and congratZ on the 07. What trim level did you buy?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:29 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by aonyoung
i just got mine like 2 weeks ago, and this is my first sport car i have ever had. i just wondering when should i go back to nissan dealer to do the service.. (500 miles?)

thanks
you can prolly only get owners manuals online now. dont forget to buckle up.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:37 PM
CRAZZD

first oil change due at 3750 miles. Nothing until then. Go to
nissanusa.com and register under owners and it will have the service schedule for you and remind you when things are due based on how much you drive.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 AM
mcurry5

Originally Posted by I1DER
you can prolly only get owners manuals online now. dont forget to buckle up.
I am pretty sure the 07' comes with an owners manual.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Blu Hvn

I'm an old guy (I'll be 55 next month) and I grew up being told and believing you should get your oil changed at about 1,000 miles. The reasoning is there are metal filings, etc. in the engine that you want to drain out.
This reasoning may be out dated but getting an oil change is about the cheapest maintenance (about $25.00) you can do on a car.
So I say get the oil changed either by the dealer or a reputable mechanic-not a quicky oil change place. Someone mentioned above about dealers screwing up your car. I've had far worse experiences at the quick oil change places than at a dealer.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
I1DER

Originally Posted by mcurry5
I am pretty sure the 07' comes with an owners manual.
I was being facetious. I don't have an '07, but I imagine the manual states to have the oil changed and have a service inspection done after the break-in period which was 1200 miles. I wouldn't have that particular inspection done by a jiffy-lube.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM
mcurry5

Originally Posted by I1DER
I was being facetious. I don't have an '07, but I imagine the manual states to have the oil changed and have a service inspection done after the break-in period which was 1200 miles. I wouldn't have that particular inspection done by a jiffy-lube.
The manual doesnt say anything about changing the oil or inspections at 1200 miles.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
I1DER

Default 1st Oil Change, Service

The manual doesnt say anything about changing the oil or inspections at 1200 miles.
I reviewed the docs I received when mine was new and mcurry5 is correct. In fact the manual states in the tech and consumer info section that "Your engine was filled with a high quality engine oil when it was built. You do not have to change the oil before the first recommended change interval."

It was only my dealer who informed me to bring it in after the break-in period(1200 miles as stated in the manual). It was their policy to do an inspection, ask about any deficiencies, and change the oil for me....at no charge. They apparently feel like many here do that a oil change around that time is good to remove any metal bits that may have resulted from the break-in.

I like my dealer's attitude about it. They also say I need to change the oil at 3750 mile intervals, while the manual says that for my type of driving(schedule 2 maintenance), it only needs to be changed at 7500 mile intervals.

Last edited by I1DER; 06-25-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:08 PM
mcurry5

If there are any metal flakes it will occur during the 1st 50 or so miles. Why not change the oil then ?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:05 PM
K9Zdriver

If there are any metal flakes it will occur during the 1st 50 or so miles. Why not change the oil then ?
You'll be surprised that some people do. I read it in the maunal(2007) that after 1200 miles, you can drive the car little harder(beyond 3000 rpm). Base on this piece of information, i changed my oil at 1200 miles. That is just me.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:05 PM
twitch579

Watching people change there oil every 1,000 miles or anything less then 4000 miles apart is just soo funny but sad at the same time. Its such a waste of oil, you might as well go to the store and buy 5 quarts and just throw it away.

Your wasting your time, ive been a mechanic for over 12 years and ive worked with mechanics and engineers that just laugh at people that have nothing to do to there car so they change the oil frantically.

There are no metal flakes that float around in the engine, its crazy to say that, any break-in particles are totally caught by the oil filter. YES the oil filter actually works, all oil passes thru it, if u dont believe me go cut one open and pull out the huge accordian of filtration thats crammed inside any cheapo oil filter.

Cars that BURN oil or have emulsifying problems (water getting into oil) are the only cars that need everymonth oil changes.

Hearing people talk about changing oil all the time is right up there with when my girlfriend gets her oil changed and tell me how much "smoother" the car drives. Stop wasting precious oil that where paying so much more for then we should. Change it at every 4000 miles and forget about it.

If u want something to do to your car besides change the perfectly good oil try waxing it, the sun is your enemy. Its doing 10,000,000,000 more damage to your car then the oil ever will.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:06 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome.
As everyone else said, just follow the service intervals in the manual.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:17 PM
black06z

Originally Posted by twitch579
Watching people change there oil every 1,000 miles or anything less then 4000 miles apart is just soo funny but sad at the same time. Its such a waste of oil, you might as well go to the store and buy 5 quarts and just throw it away.

Your wasting your time, ive been a mechanic for over 12 years and ive worked with mechanics and engineers that just laugh at people that have nothing to do to there car so they change the oil frantically.

There are no metal flakes that float around in the engine, its crazy to say that, any break-in particles are totally caught by the oil filter. YES the oil filter actually works, all oil passes thru it, if u dont believe me go cut one open and pull out the huge accordian of filtration thats crammed inside any cheapo oil filter.

Cars that BURN oil or have emulsifying problems (water getting into oil) are the only cars that need everymonth oil changes.

Hearing people talk about changing oil all the time is right up there with when my girlfriend gets her oil changed and tell me how much "smoother" the car drives. Stop wasting precious oil that where paying so much more for then we should. Change it at every 4000 miles and forget about it.

If u want something to do to your car besides change the perfectly good oil try waxing it, the sun is your enemy. Its doing 10,000,000,000 more damage to your car then the oil ever will.
this is something a lot of car enthusiasts refuse to believe, but its true. Complete paint jobs aren't cheap either.