Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Trading in Cobalt SS for Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:36 PM
slideZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in Cobalt SS for Z

Hello all my name is Houston, I will be trading in my 2006 Cobalt SS for a 350Z here very soon, convinced by how shitty some other cars really are and fellow Nissan friends IRL. 2 of my closest friends have a 240SX, one is a 95 and one is a 97 both modded moderately and they drift all of the time. I also drive their cars and work on them a lot so I do know a good bit about those. Another one of my buddies has a 2005 G35 with several Nismo parts such as the body and clutch and exhaust for instance. So I am going to trade it in and get a Z. Most likely an 03 or 04, I heard some bad things about 03's and bases being not so great so I will try and not go that route unless I come across an offer I just simply can't refuse. I will be on here a good bit in the future and just like my Cobalt I am going to mod the hell out of this. No cheap mods, learned about those the hard way and won't happen again. And if anyone here drifts/slides and there is a subforum that I haven't seen let me know, thanks. Glad to be here.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:42 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by slideZ
.....if anyone here drifts/slides and there is a subforum that I haven't seen let me know, thanks. Glad to be here.

There isn't a sub-forum because most Z drivers are grown up and don't like paying for new tires every week, and didn't grow up on Gran Turismo.

IBTL

Last edited by halfass872; 01-03-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:44 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, there isn't such a thing as a "cheap mod" for the 350z, as far making alot of power that is
Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
FYI, there isn't such a thing as a "cheap mod" for the 350z, as far making alot of power that is

+1

Forced induction, or dump all your money into suspension mods. Don't bother if you plan on staying NA.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
slideZ

Originally Posted by halfass872
There isn't a sub-forum because most Z drivers are grown up and don't like paying for new tires every week.

IBTL
ah thanks dude, I highly doubt this will be locked. anyway, I won't be streetsliding like you think I will be, we have this thing here in atlanta called Turner Field drifting competitions and I go to them every chance I get and learn, as for tires I could care less, i'll be putting coilovers and new widers wheels all the way around for my first mods. Tires aren't a problem though.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM
slideZ

+1

Forced induction, or dump all your money into suspension mods. Don't bother if you plan on staying NA.
I know for a fact i'm staying NA for at least a year, I'm not jumping straight on top of things that quickly. And by cheap mods I meant stupid **** from autozone. Screw that. i'm doing this car right. First year it will just be all suspension, wheels, just a cold air and maybe a RSR or topspeed exhaust from what I've heard. No serious horsepower gains off the bat.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
halfass872

I highly doubt this will be locked.
Give it time my friend. the heavy hitters haven't found this thread yet. lol This forum is ruthless!!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:54 PM
slideZ

Give it time my friend. the heavy hitters haven't found this thread yet. lol This forum is ruthless!!
its straight dude im prepared already for it. the guys on the 240atlanta and cobaltss.net forums aren't exactly pushovers either. I think i've seen at least 300 variations of a photoshop'd search button.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 PM
halfass872

I know for a fact i'm staying NA for at least a year, I'm not jumping straight on top of things that quickly. And by cheap mods I meant stupid **** from autozone. Screw that. i'm doing this car right. First year it will just be all suspension, wheels, just a cold air and maybe a RSR or topspeed exhaust from what I've heard. No serious horsepower gains off the bat.
Pop charger can be found for around $80 (WAI) basically makes a bunch of noise. And pretty much that's all you will get from an intake on this car. Warm or cold. So save your money and keep the OEM box. It does a fantastic job. And had a huge opening with no extra underhood air seepage.

You can get decent mods from exhaust. SEARCH around and see what others have said. I went straight to the top and got the Nismo. Which may not be the best in gains, but the quality is second to none. An dit has no rasp.

The Z in stock form is engineered to the max. That's why it's so hard to get any gains without FI. Many have seen drops in performance by trying to mod the intake and exhaust.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:58 PM
surfcity40

Michelob DunkelWeisse tastes smokey. btw, congrats on getting out of the Cobalt, whatever you buy.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:01 PM
NISMO_558

just a heads up, the RSR exhaust is extremely loud
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM
slideZ

Pop charger can be found for around $80 (WAI) basically makes a bunch of noise. And pretty much that's all you will get from an intake on this car. Warm or cold. So save your money and keep the OEM box. It does a fantastic job. And had a huge opening with no extra underhood air seepage.

You can get decent mods from exhaust. SEARCH around and see what others have said. I went straight to the top and got the Nismo. Which may not be the best in gains, but the quality is second to none. An dit has no rasp.

The Z in stock form is engineered to the max. That's why it's so hard to get any gains without FI. Many have seen drops in performance by trying to mod the intake and exhaust.
I definitely dont doubt there were drops in performance from exhaust. Thats why I basically staying stock until if i go FI minus the catback probably just for that extra bit of growl that Z's have. My friend with the G35 has the Nismo catback and it sounds pretty good, not very loud but just a little bit more than stock. Definitely no rasp. I am looking for a bit louder but no rasp would be nice, that **** is annoying no matter what car it is on. So what exactly is this pop charger, my buddy with the G has an extra Injen cold air lying around unopened that he may sell me but I wont get it if its not even worth it.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:04 PM
slideZ

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
just a heads up, the RSR exhaust is extremely loud
i'm aware of this and I can't wait to hear a soundclip or hear it for myself in person. Definitely doesn't bother me though I'm used to having a full 3" headerback so it can't be that much louder, or is it?

edit: holy ****, just watched a vid and its great, that is exactly what im looking for

Last edited by slideZ; 01-03-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:05 PM
halfass872

So what exactly is this pop charger, my buddy with the G has an extra Injen cold air lying around unopened that he may sell me but I wont get it if its not even worth it.
Come on man. Search. We aren't gonna do your work for you. There's got to be a million threads on it here. I'm just bored right now, that's why i'm helping so much, lol.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 PM
slideZ

I used to have, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BjlFCJg2NY , on my Cobalt. its a header and downpipe combo with a custom 3" catback. sounded pretty sweet. the Z with the RSR though sounds unbelievable
Old 01-03-2009, 06:09 PM
slideZ

Come on man. Search. We aren't gonna do your work for you. There's got to be a million threads on it here. I'm just bored right now, that's why i'm helping so much, lol.
its cool man, im planning on it. just felt like i'd get myself a few posts in before i venture anywhere else so i dont get flamed immediately
Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 PM
halfass872

its cool man, im planning on it. just felt like i'd get myself a few posts in before i venture anywhere else so i dont get flamed immediately
You're gonna need a few hundred and a few months under your belt before that happens!! lol
Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
slideZ

You're gonna need a few hundred and a few months under your belt before that happens!! lol
that pop charger, just checked it out, is basically a very short ram intake using the stock box to pull air when the hood is closed right? I had a similar setup on the Cobalt, it was a general motors performance parts short ram where the filter was in the engine bay and pulled air from the stock box through the front bumper when the hood was closed, ill post a pic

edit: maybe later, my photobucket album is down

Last edited by slideZ; 01-03-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:21 PM
halfass872

that pop charger, just checked it out, is basically a very short ram intake using the stock box to pull air when the hood is closed right? I had a similar setup on the Cobalt, it was a general motors performance parts short ram where the filter was in the engine bay and pulled air from the stock box through the front bumper when the hood was closed, ill post a pic
Jesus man!!

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part.asp

If you need, i can tell you how to enter your car info in the little boxes as well!!

3 seconds on google!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
NISMO_558

reading over the posts, anybody wanna take a shot at how old the OP is? I smell young meat

Quick Reply: Trading in Cobalt SS for Z