Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

brand new Z, does stalling many times damage engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
herecticx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx guys i did a little better today..
i guess its just about practice and getting used to the clutch
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
SoldzMyZ

Originally Posted by youngh
how long did it take you to get it smooth and no roll back on hills? curious ;o
6 months for me. I was 23 when I got the Z. Before that I learned atx when I started driving at 16. Now I can drive it smoothly. I remember taking out a girl when I was still somewhat new and I was really jerky when I shifted. Now totally different. Driving a manual becomes second nature and as corny as it may sound, part of the car. AND FUN!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
fabcas311

Originally Posted by PerfZ
[/B]

Well I guess if you are sitting sideways or backwards now, then that could lead to some problems.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 PM
thomas'Z

you just need some one to show you how to do it the correct way.
i have shown at least 3 of my friends that want to buy a Mt car and within 30 to 40min they are driving around the city with no stalls.
a few honks from people cuz taking a little longer to start accelerating from 0 but it is all good.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Z isn't the easiest manual car to drive. Even long-time drivers experience jerky moments.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 AM
herecticx

hey guys i just done 400 kms on the car.. im guessing its still in 'break-in' period. today i took it up to 120km in 6th gear.. i was wondering if this would damage the 'breaking in' of the car?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:17 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

just stay under 3k, stop with the stupid ****ing questions and search.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 AM
herecticx

i have stayed under 3k revs.. so driving at 120kmph will not damage the break-in so long as im not reving over 3k ??

ive have found nothing with the search option

your answers will be appreciated

Last edited by herecticx; 02-11-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:31 AM
jdf28045

Default Idea

I think that we should throw him in a z with a act street light cluch and a act 6 puck sprung hub clutch and let him learn on that. If you can work that you will never have an issue with any other cluch.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by youngh
how long did it take you to get it smooth and no roll back on hills? curious ;o
It took me a few months to get the car to drive smooth, let alone good hill starts. Even a year later I have days were I jerk the car.

For steep hill starts I strongly recommend using the ebrake method. That will definitly reduce wear on your clutch.

Also someone mentioned seat position. I have to keep my seat in one position. If I start moving it back and forth, up and down, my muscle memory gets all screwed up and I start jerking the car
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
youngh

Originally Posted by Lento
It took me a few months to get the car to drive smooth, let alone good hill starts. Even a year later I have days were I jerk the car.

For steep hill starts I strongly recommend using the ebrake method. That will definitly reduce wear on your clutch.

Also someone mentioned seat position. I have to keep my seat in one position. If I start moving it back and forth, up and down, my muscle memory gets all screwed up and I start jerking the car
yeah same for me. my leg muscles get all retarded and cant figure out where the engagement point is again lols. i adjusted my seat back a little bit cause i had to learn the 350z clutch sitting up really really close, and it started to get uncomfortable when i got used to it so i moved it back. now i need to get used to the new seat position ;/
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM
youngh

Originally Posted by booey1979
6 months for me. I was 23 when I got the Z. Before that I learned atx when I started driving at 16. Now I can drive it smoothly. I remember taking out a girl when I was still somewhat new and I was really jerky when I shifted. Now totally different. Driving a manual becomes second nature and as corny as it may sound, part of the car. AND FUN!!!
how did your date go? ;p
Old 02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No damage from your 120; even if you exceed the rpms on occassion it will not hurt the car.

relax & enjoy it.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
herecticx

thank u
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
350z Guy

dont worry i stall plenty of time, the Z was mine first manual car too

but trust me if you can master driving manual in a Z then you pretty much can drive any manual car, i drove my friends s2000, and it was so much easier than my car

i always thought i was a bad stick shift driver, until i drove my friends s2000 lol

practice, practice, practice!! good luck and dont ride the clutch
Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

Don't worry you will be fine. My Z was my first manual too, I still beleive it is the toughest car to learn stick on.
No way man!!! I learned to drive stick on a Viper and that was a brutal experience!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Polo08816
Banned

Originally Posted by Goin' Sidewayz!
No way man!!! I learned to drive stick on a Viper and that was a brutal experience!!!
Luckily you're still alive.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

Originally Posted by Polo08816
Luckily you're still alive.
Haha! I stalled it so many times I'm suprised my dad kept letting me learn on it. I stalled it 4 times before I even got it out of the driveway the first time driving it. My second driving experience with it I was in 5th doing about 50-55mph and was getting ready to make a right hand turn and my dad wanted me to practice downshifting so I attempted to throw it in fourth, but I screwed up and ended up putting it in 2nd!!! LOL, the RPMs skyrocketed and you could hear the engine go WHOOOOOOSHHHHH loud as hell!!! After that I just had to get used to the shifter... when trying to get into 4th Id always accidently throw it back in 2nd. Now I can drive it without experiencing any of the problems I mentioned above, but it's still a much different car than any other manual transmission car Ive ever drove.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by Goin' Sidewayz!
^Lol yea I heard between the shifter and the clutch its like operating truck levers.

I've done the 5th to 2nd shift a few times by accident. All I can say is thank god the Z's gearing is so tall, otherwize I probably would have blown the engine.

You should try to test drive an S2000, compared to the Viper you will feel like a driving god.... Feels like your flying when the Tach is reading 9000... but then you realize you just got overtake by a minivan

But definitly a fun car to drive
Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

^Lol yea I heard between the shifter and the clutch its like operating truck levers.

I've done the 5th to 2nd shift a few times by accident. All I can say is thank god the Z's gearing is so tall, otherwize I probably would have blown the engine.

You should try to test drive an S2000, compared to the Viper you will feel like a driving god.... Feels like your flying when the Tach is reading 9000... but then you realize you just got overtake by a minivan

But definitly a fun car to drive
Ya it is!!! The viper's clutch is absolutley ridiculous. However, just like you say with the s2000, the viper is a very very very fun car to drive. Pretty much any car that naturally sits very low and has a cramped two seat cabin is very fun...with the viper you get a powerful stock engine too so it's all the more enjoyable!

Quick Reply: brand new Z, does stalling many times damage engine?