Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New Z owner in Norcal (Long Read)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM
milto0n

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Z owner in Norcal (Long Read)

Hi all,

New to the forum since I recently bought my car about a week ago. The simple version of this is that I picked up a 2003 Touring edition Z 6 M/T with 118k miles and a clean title for $6,000. It was too good to be true so I took extra caution when I contacted the seller but I will explain below. Here is a pic:

I've been the owner of a s13 for the past 6 years and it was a difficult decision but I realized I needed a nice streetable car... something with air conditioning and that didn't require me to keep my tool kit in the car just in case it breaks down. I really do like the car and I put my heart and soul into it but I have grown extremely tired of the 240 scene and the lack of maturity with s chassis drivers. But I digress. I was originally searching for a G35 since it is a perfect combination of luxury, streetability, and RWD but I also considered 2004 and up maximas, Audi TT, and even an RX8. I did look at Z cars, especially since I love Nissan cars but I ruled it out as an option since they were not in my price range (< $8,000)

As I'm browsing online I see a Z for $7g and checked out the ad. As most spam ads online go, a phone number was not added but I figured I'd email. I played email tag with a gentleman who checked out and told him I would like to check it out. The next day he gives me a call. He explained to me that the car belonged to his client, a lady who was widowed and had the car sitting for 3 years. It belonged to her husband who passed away. To her, the car was representative of her hold on her husband and letting it would ultimately allow her to move on.

In that phone conversation he told me that they would be asking 6g and first one with the cash gets it. Mind you, I still haven't sold the 240 so I'm a little short of cash. Borrowed a couple bucks from the girlfriend and pull out a cash advance and I met up with the owner 2 hours later. I still went about the process very cautiously until I met the owner. Once I did, my skepticism quickly vanished and the reality of the situation sank in; it was a lonely widow just trying to move on. The car was in good condition and everything very much checked out. It had a crack on the windshield, popping noises on both left and right suspension when turning lock to lock, a scuff on the passenger door, and rock chips in the front bumper, all things that were explicitly mentioned to me beforehand. Other than that, a good tune up was in order.

When we were handling the paperwork, I put business aside and told the lady that I have a lot of respect for these vehicles. I am one of very few S-chassis owners that does not abuse the car. Hell, I've never even been pulled over. I assured her that I had no intention of abusing the car at all and that I would preserve it the best I can. For much of the time I was talking with her or asking questions, she was holding back tears and I could only imagine the difficulty she was having.

I know this was kind of a long introduction but I feel as though it was pretty unique. I still haven't gotten rid of the s13 but I'm removing the turbo kit and smogging it which will hopefully make it easier to sell... and lord knows I need the cash. The only thing I have in mind for the Z is tinting rear windows, installing my sub (in stock bose location if I can modify a couple of things), and maybe in the distant future doing body and paint work to the aforementioned issues. I look forward to having this car and anticipate having it for as long, if not longer, than I had the s13. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome and congratulations on the Z. It looks good.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

God damn. Nice find