Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New Owner - from e36 m3 to HR Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
er1k325

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - from e36 m3 to HR Z

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself. im a fairly new owner of a z. Purchased it about a month ago but just finally getting to start this thread.

I come from the bmw side, i started e46 325i (where my username originally started) then soon after swtiched to e36 m3 in which ive owned for the past 4 years, but I decided to sell the m3 for something newer but still wanted something fun and reliable which led me to this car.

my plans for this car is primarily to be used as a daily driver/occasional weekend track day car(hopefully 2-3 events per year depending on my $$$ situation).

I wanted an hr and it had to have a 6 speed and with an lsd (didnt want to go thought the hassle of searching for and changing the diff), so it took me a while to find a non base hr that was in my price range and with not to many miles but i finally found it.

some info of the new car:
-2007 enthusiast 6mt
-carbon silver on black interior
-the car is bone stock aside from window tints, aftermarket head unit, and front clear bra.
-just hit 51k miles

here is how she sits now

my future plans for this car:
-oem brembo brake conversion
-either a new set of rpf1 18x9/10 or will look around for whatever good deal of used wheels i find that match my preferences
-suspension wise, still undecided whether to get coilovers or koni adjustable with a set of springs
-an exhaust but still undecided

and some shots of what i switched over from:

in case anyone decides to ask about differences in the 2 cars

-the m3 was lighter and felt alot smaller compared to driving the Z
-braking feels about even so far(i have yet to drive the Z hard thought)
-speed/power, huge difference IMO, 1st gear i would say feels about the same but any gear after that the Z's power/acceleration difference is easily noticed(z being faster)
-plus side of the Z is the 6th gear vs my e36 only having a 5spd, although i feel the transmission is not at smooth as the m3 and the Z is very notchy and you have to use the clutch alot more for it to be smooth, or maybe im just not used to it yet.
-2 seats are defiantly a downside plus there's alot less trunk space in the z.
-Z is alot more a$$ happy and unpredictable than the e36

anyway thats just a bit about me and my new car/old car, eager to see whats to come with this car

C&C appreciated
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. As you explore the site, you'll find a wealth of information. As far as mods go, you might consider adding a oil cooler to your list of track must-haves. To smooth out the tranny syncro engagement, try swapping over to Redline MT85, which matches the OEM viscocity specs and provides better heat protection as well. Your choice of sway bars, dampers/springs will allow you to tune the Z handling to your tastes. Finally, maintenance costs will be WAY less than either your E36 or 46.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Congratulations er1k325 on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Your Z will definitely benefit from 18" rims as I think the 17" rims barely fill the arches. 19"'s in my opinion look too big and are not great for the track. You'll definitely want to get an exhaust to unleash that V6 howl which is so addictive at 4000rpm plus, the only decision you'll struggle to make is whether to go for a twin exit or a single exit although there are plenty of you tube videos of exhausts to help you make up your mind. There are plenty of different manufacturers of suspension for you to get confused by but I'm sure you'll find yourself something within your budget. The Brembo brakes are superior to the standard brakes and much more confidence inspiring and yes the gearbox will be more notchy than your e36 but it will be something you'll get used to. I hope you get as many happy miles of motoring out of your Z as I have had out of mine, and again, welcome.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM
er1k325

typo

Last edited by er1k325; 01-21-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM
er1k325

Originally Posted by dkmura
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. As you explore the site, you'll find a wealth of information. As far as mods go, you might consider adding a oil cooler to your list of track must-haves. To smooth out the tranny syncro engagement, try swapping over to Redline MT85, which matches the OEM viscocity specs and provides better heat protection as well. Your choice of sway bars, dampers/springs will allow you to tune the Z handling to your tastes. Finally, maintenance costs will be WAY less than either your E36 or 46.
changing all fluids is first on my list, i hope the trans fluid swap changes the feel

as for the maintenance costs/parts are actually more expensive on the Z than my e36 believe it or not. the availability and amount of parts for the bmw, i have to say are alot more vast than the Z world.

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
Congratulations er1k325 on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Your Z will definitely benefit from 18" rims as I think the 17" rims barely fill the arches. 19"'s in my opinion look too big and are not great for the track. You'll definitely want to get an exhaust to unleash that V6 howl which is so addictive at 4000rpm plus, the only decision you'll struggle to make is whether to go for a twin exit or a single exit although there are plenty of you tube videos of exhausts to help you make up your mind. There are plenty of different manufacturers of suspension for you to get confused by but I'm sure you'll find yourself something within your budget. The Brembo brakes are superior to the standard brakes and much more confidence inspiring and yes the gearbox will be more notchy than your e36 but it will be something you'll get used to. I hope you get as many happy miles of motoring out of your Z as I have had out of mine, and again, welcome.
i thought about the oil cooler but i dont track competitively, i just go out to have fun so i don't end up running it hard for anything over 15-20 minutes at a time without pulling over to cool iff, so i hope these cars arent that bad with oil temps rising?

as for the mods i mentioned they are for the future, i plan on going to the track at least once stock before i start buying anything. i agree with the sway bars, i changed them on the old car and it made a huge difference so will definatly look into them for this car. i want a single exit love how it looks and its lighter too, but after getting a ride in one before i got a headache from the drone and my car will primarily be a dd so its gotten me thinking...

Last edited by er1k325; 01-21-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. Add 4.08 final drive to that diff and that power difference in every gear range becomes more noticeable.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

nice upgrade. i do love the e36 m3s though.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 PM
er1k325

thanks guys
Old 01-22-2014, 05:35 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice HR!!! I came from an E36 M3 as well, also with the same best color on BMW's...Alpine White.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:09 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Assassin
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. Add 4.08 final drive to that diff and that power difference in every gear range becomes more noticeable.
He said he doesn't want to mess with the diff which is why he was looking for anything besides base......

That being said, you will eventually want to look at diffs, and when you do, go for the 4.08 gears as The Assassin said. I have a base and swapped in a low miles VLSD and it makes a HUGE difference over peglegging it, but tight weight shifting turns still cause my VLSD to "catch up" which is annoying.

I have a diff/4.08s on my wish list...

I was similar to you DD/tracked my HR 2x in 90* weather running higher RPMs(staying in 3rd into a corner rather than upshift) and my oil temp was fine. Clutch fluid on the other hand needed bled/replenished. If you are drifting then for sure look into upgrading anything cooling.

I'm at work so I can't see your pix, but I do love the looks of almost every M3.

Welcome and it sounds like you have a good grasp on where the car is going. If you're planning on tracking a Daily Driver I'd say look for 18x10.5s square....but wide rubber is expensive... not as much as my 19s though!

Welcome again.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM
er1k325

Originally Posted by TuckerE36
Nice HR!!! I came from an E36 M3 as well, also with the same best color on BMW's...Alpine White.
thanks

how did you like the transition? are you happy with the switch yourself or do you think about having it back? so far i miss mine

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
He said he doesn't want to mess with the diff which is why he was looking for anything besides base......

That being said, you will eventually want to look at diffs, and when you do, go for the 4.08 gears as The Assassin said. I have a base and swapped in a low miles VLSD and it makes a HUGE difference over peglegging it, but tight weight shifting turns still cause my VLSD to "catch up" which is annoying.

I have a diff/4.08s on my wish list...

I was similar to you DD/tracked my HR 2x in 90* weather running higher RPMs(staying in 3rd into a corner rather than upshift) and my oil temp was fine. Clutch fluid on the other hand needed bled/replenished. If you are drifting then for sure look into upgrading anything cooling.

I'm at work so I can't see your pix, but I do love the looks of almost every M3.

Welcome and it sounds like you have a good grasp on where the car is going. If you're planning on tracking a Daily Driver I'd say look for 18x10.5s square....but wide rubber is expensive... not as much as my 19s though!

Welcome again.

thanks!
yes i have looked into diffs but for now i will stick to the vlsd, if i decide to go with a serious build in the future i will be getting a legit diff.

i wanted to run squared was thinking about 265's or so all around, but after lurking the forums and reading on these cars i learned how the tcs will act up if the tires are staggered in height from the front and rear, since its a DD i don't want to run into any issues, although i could and would have to always turn off the tcs every time i drive it...
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by er1k325
thanks

how did you like the transition? are you happy with the switch yourself or do you think about having it back? so far i miss mine
HA! I miss the tranny and gear box on the M3. The Z's tranny is just very notchy and the clutch is horrid. The Bimmer's just flowed much better, also 100x quieter lol BUT i've adapted and installed a short throw shifter so...
Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by er1k325
thanks

thanks!
yes i have looked into diffs but for now i will stick to the vlsd, if i decide to go with a serious build in the future i will be getting a legit diff.

i wanted to run squared was thinking about 265's or so all around, but after lurking the forums and reading on these cars i learned how the tcs will act up if the tires are staggered in height from the front and rear, since its a DD i don't want to run into any issues, although i could and would have to always turn off the tcs every time i drive it...
Just get the overall diameter right and you shouldn't have any issues. I think OEM tires are 45 series side wall so you could still run 265s if that's what you wanted, just note the height of your new tire's sidewall thickness as there is some variation company to company/brand to brand.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 PM
secwind

Welcome to the site.

You might consider getting a weighted shift **** like Tommy Kaira. The weight of the **** really smooth out the nochyness and vibration in the shifter. I felt more of a difference with that than swapping fluids which did nothing for me.

Tommy Kaira is pricey, but there's a replica somewhere called fat boy or something. Pretty much the same weight and look-wise minus the logo.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 PM
andre81k

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club. Looking forward to see some pics from your first track outting.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by secwind
Welcome to the site.

You might consider getting a weighted shift **** like Tommy Kaira. The weight of the **** really smooth out the nochyness and vibration in the shifter. I felt more of a difference with that than swapping fluids which did nothing for me.

Tommy Kaira is pricey, but there's a replica somewhere called fat boy or something. Pretty much the same weight and look-wise minus the logo.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the OBVIOUS baller status you get from having it

Love my TK.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats.

What was done on your E36?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 PM
RedlineHR

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I also came from an e36. 97 M3 2dr in arctic silver. loved that car and wish I still had it. only mods were H&R OE sport springs, Koni Yellows, and Ground Control Rear trailing arm bushing shims.

Yours looks like a 95 with those side-markers.

From the e36, I went to a 2006 z and after driving for a while was very disappointed in that it didn't feel any faster with "300HP" then the m3 at 240HP. I use quotes for "300" because nissan was cheating on it's HP ratings through 2006. in 2007 they had to use SAE standards so they had to completely rebuild the engine so as to not have to publish a loss in power for 2007 SAE specs. And the 06 turned out to be an oil burner so when the 07 came out, I traded it in for the 07. never looked back. The HR engine is a beast with bolt-ons and a tune.

I find the 97 M3 to be in a whole different (better) class for braking than the 350z. My 350z is a Grand Touring so it has the factory Brembo upgrade. Problem is the weak link in the 350z braking is the weak-a$$ wheel bearings and the positioning of the calipers. The bearings all allow a little flex so during a high-g corner, the brake discs knock the pads out a little. After a high-G turn, you have to pump the brakes a couple times to get the pads back to the rotors. Single biggest disappointment with my z are the brakes. my 2006 and 2007 both exhibited this nasty brake pad knock-back trait. For the 370, the calipers are mounted at the very front of the disc to reduce this effect. The 350 calipers are mounted higher.

Nissan paint is some of the worst in the industry. The front of my Z at 56k miles is worse than my M3 was at 227k miles. Good thing you have the clear bra.

Transmission/clutch. Clutch is the second worse trait on the 350z. it's like an on/off switch. You either bog the engine or spin the tires. I have to adjust my seat if I change shoes with a thicker or thinner sole.

The Z can't put the power down like the M3. Traction control on the 350z is horribly intrusive. ANY detection of wheel spin (1/8th of a rotation) and the VDC kills all power for 2-3 seconds. The factory limited-slip is pretty weak. Even with 305/30's on the rear in a Pilot Super sports, the Steering wheel must be pointed straight or I get wheel spin.

Funny you mention 1st gear feels the same. 1st gear in an HR engine takes you to 46 MPH where in the m3 it's closer to 35. I believe the M3 only got to 59 MPH in second gear, requiring a 2-3 shift to get to 60.

However, Once the 350z is motion, it's incredibly fun to drive fast and it's handling is very predictable and forgiving. You'll get used to double-pumping the brakes at the track. I am still on factory suspension so I think that's part of my problem with traction. I have too much body lean in the corners and the inside wheel becomes unweighted.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM
dilat3d

I also went from an e36 to the Z.

I totally agree with Redline in regards to the clutch, the M's clutch was far better, including the feedback it gave, though I actually prefer the Z's shifter.

I have a Touring so I don't have brembos but I feel the braking is sufficient.

Finally, my M had an AA S/C and Bilstein PSS9s, so it was a go kart to say the least. Nonetheless I'm sure with some stiffer suspension and some additional power you'll find the Z to be quite fun as well.

I'm running stock suspension, with some bolt-ons, basically the same setup as Redline actually, and I'm getting UpRev tuned next month, so after that I'll be able to give a better comparison of the two cars (save the handling of which the M is superior).

Either way, I don't regret getting the Z .. it sounds great, looks great and is an overall fun drive. If I get rid of it down the line it would probably only be for an E46 M or another Z to be honest. I love RWD sports cars!

Last edited by dilat3d; 01-26-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 AM
er1k325

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
Congrats.

What was done on your E36?
performance wise:
kw v1 coilovers
f&r turner motorsport sway bars
dinan intake
dinan tune
custom midpipe/straightpipe connected to a supersprint muffler
front eibach strut brace
rear ultra racing strut brace
went throught 4 sets of wheels, the last one and the wheels in the picture are SSR comp
motorsport hardware 80mm wheels stud conversion
hr 10m spacers front 5mm spacers rear to clear tires from rubbing the coilovers

a bunch of maintenance to long to list

Originally Posted by RedlineHR
I also came from an e36. 97 M3 2dr in arctic silver. loved that car and wish I still had it. only mods were H&R OE sport springs, Koni Yellows, and Ground Control Rear trailing arm bushing shims.

Yours looks like a 95 with those side-markers.

From the e36, I went to a 2006 z and after driving for a while was very disappointed in that it didn't feel any faster with "300HP" then the m3 at 240HP. I use quotes for "300" because nissan was cheating on it's HP ratings through 2006. in 2007 they had to use SAE standards so they had to completely rebuild the engine so as to not have to publish a loss in power for 2007 SAE specs. And the 06 turned out to be an oil burner so when the 07 came out, I traded it in for the 07. never looked back. The HR engine is a beast with bolt-ons and a tune.

I find the 97 M3 to be in a whole different (better) class for braking than the 350z. My 350z is a Grand Touring so it has the factory Brembo upgrade. Problem is the weak link in the 350z braking is the weak-a$$ wheel bearings and the positioning of the calipers. The bearings all allow a little flex so during a high-g corner, the brake discs knock the pads out a little. After a high-G turn, you have to pump the brakes a couple times to get the pads back to the rotors. Single biggest disappointment with my z are the brakes. my 2006 and 2007 both exhibited this nasty brake pad knock-back trait. For the 370, the calipers are mounted at the very front of the disc to reduce this effect. The 350 calipers are mounted higher.

Nissan paint is some of the worst in the industry. The front of my Z at 56k miles is worse than my M3 was at 227k miles. Good thing you have the clear bra.

Transmission/clutch. Clutch is the second worse trait on the 350z. it's like an on/off switch. You either bog the engine or spin the tires. I have to adjust my seat if I change shoes with a thicker or thinner sole.

The Z can't put the power down like the M3. Traction control on the 350z is horribly intrusive. ANY detection of wheel spin (1/8th of a rotation) and the VDC kills all power for 2-3 seconds. The factory limited-slip is pretty weak. Even with 305/30's on the rear in a Pilot Super sports, the Steering wheel must be pointed straight or I get wheel spin.

Funny you mention 1st gear feels the same. 1st gear in an HR engine takes you to 46 MPH where in the m3 it's closer to 35. I believe the M3 only got to 59 MPH in second gear, requiring a 2-3 shift to get to 60.

However, Once the 350z is motion, it's incredibly fun to drive fast and it's handling is very predictable and forgiving. You'll get used to double-pumping the brakes at the track. I am still on factory suspension so I think that's part of my problem with traction. I have too much body lean in the corners and the inside wheel becomes unweighted.

yes mine was a 95, your looks very clean as well, luxury package or did you add the slats in the front?

the Z might actually be faster in 1st as well, but the m3 just felt so much more raw and would push you back into your seat which the Z doesn't give so i guess it just "feels" like that to me

i still have yet to drive the Z "hard" so give feedback on the braking, been really busy and plus im in need of rear tires badly as well

Originally Posted by dilat3d
I also went from an e36 to the Z.

I totally agree with Redline in regards to the clutch, the M's clutch was far better, including the feedback it gave, though I actually prefer the Z's shifter.

I have a Touring so I don't have brembos but I feel the braking is sufficient.

Finally, my M had an AA S/C and Bilstein PSS9s, so it was a go kart to say the least. Nonetheless I'm sure with some stiffer suspension and some additional power you'll find the Z to be quite fun as well.

I'm running stock suspension, with some bolt-ons, basically the same setup as Redline actually, and I'm getting UpRev tuned next month, so after that I'll be able to give a better comparison of the two cars (save the handling of which the M is superior).

Either way, I don't regret getting the Z .. it sounds great, looks great and is an overall fun drive. If I get rid of it down the line it would probably only be for an E46 M or another Z to be honest. I love RWD sports cars!
nice i always wanted to go FI in the m3, but it came to a point where i felt the money i was spending was going to waste and adding no value to the car what so ever, i was planning on rebuilding the motor and going with an FI route, but i ended up selling it instead and adding that money i would have spent and getting the Z, which is nice because its about 12 years newer

Quick Reply: New Owner - from e36 m3 to HR Z