Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

2007 350z HR (GT) Potential Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Zaksle75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 350z HR (GT) Potential Buyer Questions

So I'm going to look at a 350z HR Grand Touring 2007 this Sunday.
First, yes I looked many places through google and this forum to find answers for these questions but I need them straightforward, help appreciated!

It has 73k miles, is from CA but mostly lived in Arizona, it's Tango Orange, looks stock in all the pictures.

1) Reliability, it has 73,000 miles. The carfax has very good extensive maintenance record, basically one owner as the 2nd owner was a dealer and 3rd only put 1k miles on it and had for 7 months.
Carfax reports 05/01/2007 "Damage reported after accident or other incident" before EVER EVEN BEING BOUGHT.
Dealer I'm buying from says the airbags were not deployed and it was not towed, this was back in 2007 of course.

2) What to look for when I buy? What areas of the car to look at, like fenders, cracks where they forge the panels, paint, underneath, what exactly am I looking for?

3) What to expect in the future as I drive maybe 20-25k miles a year, my new job will be 50 miles one way. I'm not one to ramrod 24/7 but I do get on it here n there ya know?

4) If bought, what're some things to immediately just get new of and start maintaining to "future proof"

If there's any advice, that doesn't even pertain to this please please advise me, this'll be a huge investment and for something I really want and I believe I will love, my only worry honestly is reliability, I don't want the tranny or engine blowing up in like 500 miles haha.

I hope it can last to at least 2018 with no major problems and it just uses regular maintenance, I only make about 1600 a month. Thanks guys!
Help a worried lover out!

ps: if interested & allowed I can attach CarFax?
Old 04-22-2016, 04:00 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

first, no car is an investment... you are not going to make money off of it

take it to a reputable mechanic and have them look over it, would be the best thing and money well spent
Old 04-22-2016, 06:02 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

When you walk around the car, look very closely at all the panels. In particular the lines should be absolutely straight, the shade and appearance of paint should be uniform.
Also visually inspect ALL fluids. If the trans or engine oil smell burned walk away.
If you buy it, check the oil level weekly until you know whether it's using oil or not. This is a known problem.
Good luck!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:42 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee

take it to a reputable mechanic and have them look over it, would be the best thing and money well spent
+1 - Take it to a Nissan dealer for an inspection and have them pull any codes in the onboard diagnostics system. That's not a lot of miles for a well-maintained HR car, if it's been well-maintained.

I'm guessing you mean the color is Solar Orange, which was only available on '07 cars. And, make sure it's a GT, and not a lower trim level. The GT has unique double-staggered wheels (similar to the Nismo), Brembo brakes, full leather, etc. Many times a seller will "upgrade" the car to get a higher price. Nothing wrong if it's not a GT, just offer less.

The damage noted on the CarFax probably happened in transport from the factory or the port where it came into the country, and if it wasn't fixed properly, the first owner probably wouldn't have bought it. It varies by state, but that sort of thing has to be disclosed to the buyer of a new car, and repairs are usually top-notch. That paint is a tri-layer pearl, so it's tough to match, so look for that.

Do you have a link to the ad showing the car?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
+1 - Take it to a Nissan dealer for an inspection and have them pull any codes in the onboard diagnostics system. That's not a lot of miles for a well-maintained HR car, if it's been well-maintained.

I'm guessing you mean the color is Solar Orange, which was only available on '07 cars. And, make sure it's a GT, and not a lower trim level. The GT has unique double-staggered wheels (similar to the Nismo), Brembo brakes, full leather, etc. Many times a seller will "upgrade" the car to get a higher price. Nothing wrong if it's not a GT, just offer less.

The damage noted on the CarFax probably happened in transport from the factory or the port where it came into the country, and if it wasn't fixed properly, the first owner probably wouldn't have bought it. It varies by state, but that sort of thing has to be disclosed to the buyer of a new car, and repairs are usually top-notch. That paint is a tri-layer pearl, so it's tough to match, so look for that.

Do you have a link to the ad showing the car?
+2 on professional inspection.

Secondly, please DO NOT post the CarFax. While there's nothing specific in the rules about this, it is a paid-for document, and that, in and of itself should be regarded as intellectual property. It's probably OK to do so but just to be on the safe side, the owners of this site do not need any legal hassles. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Zaksle75

Thanks for all your guys responses I'm gonna be checking it out tomorrow 1PM Arizona time they just lowered the price to 13900, they lowered their other Z to 13600 (was 13900) so thats good for me!

Yeah I was gonna look at the lines, paint, cracks, everything and just look for abnormal stuff and smell it hear it everything like that.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow night! Wish me luck!

and @dcains I sent you a PM! Thanks man!
Old 04-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I havent seen many GT's in the area. Where is it located?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Zaksle75

Literally right dead center in Phoenix I'm gonna buy it tomorrow hopefully around 1 or 2 man just nervous, gonna look at everything I'm knowledgeable of haha!
There's a bunch of other Z's everywhere else too but yeah, I'm gonna try to use Wells Fargo & Desert Schools, and whatever else the dealer offers, this'll be my 2nd time to pull a loan so I'm hoping good rates I have 700+ credit.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Frostydc4

Private party or dealer?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Zaksle75

Dealer haha don't steal it!
They have a 2nd one but it's a Enthusiast, I'ma try it too. But it's red, too much attention.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by Zaksle75
Dealer haha don't steal it!
They have a 2nd one but it's a Enthusiast, I'ma try it too. But it's red, too much attention.
Its tempting

An auto GT is a unicorn & would make a great DD.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:58 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

As JHC says if the engine has had regular oil & filter changes with quality oil then these engines are pretty much bullet proof. The 2005 Rev-up engines had real problems with burning oil and needed regular top ups, many were replaced under warranty. Mine doesn't use a drop from service to service and there are owners on this forum who have covered 200,000 miles. Hope its a tidy example, you'll love it if it is. I've had mine 4 years now and it still brings a smile to my face when I climb in & fire it up. Good Luck.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:53 PM
Zaksle75

Okay bro's, bought the car !!!

LOVING IT SO EXCITED OMG, my snapchat story is nothing but orange 350z

Body was solid, everything was solid, tires might need changed in I'd say 20k miles

Also the front brakes have a very MINOR whine, idk if it's just the brake pads so new or they old, or if it's normal. I smelled something warm smelling after driving it all day you know around 6500-7000 rpm /giggity
But I'm sure it was just cause of me.

But body is solid, bumper bottomed out a few times and you can tell around lights they prob went over a curb and parked and when reversing maybe pulled a little, car is solid though I'm loving it!!

too bad it only takes CDs on the radio...

Anyways. What kinda oil do they need and how much, what about brake fluid, differential fluid? Anything I should start maintaining ASAP and at least checking? Never owned a sports car so idk if there's any unique things to look at.

Thanks guys! Loving it though!

Last edited by Zaksle75; 04-24-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:30 PM
mattleegee

Read a little 1st
Old 04-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by Zaksle75
Okay bro's, bought the car !!!

LOVING IT SO EXCITED OMG, my snapchat story is nothing but orange 350z

Body was solid, everything was solid, tires might need changed in I'd say 20k miles

Also the front brakes have a very MINOR whine, idk if it's just the brake pads so new or they old, or if it's normal. I smelled something warm smelling after driving it all day you know around 6500-7000 rpm /giggity
But I'm sure it was just cause of me.

But body is solid, bumper bottomed out a few times and you can tell around lights they prob went over a curb and parked and when reversing maybe pulled a little, car is solid though I'm loving it!!

too bad it only takes CDs on the radio...

Anyways. What kinda oil do they need and how much, what about brake fluid, differential fluid? Anything I should start maintaining ASAP and at least checking? Never owned a sports car so idk if there's any unique things to look at.

Thanks guys! Loving it though!

An oil change wouldnt hurt but just continue with the scheduled maintenance and you should be fine
Old 04-27-2016, 09:52 AM
NR350z

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats, I know the feeling, being a new Z owner myself.

Get some pics up !!!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Fluids:
Oil: 5qts (I use Amsoil signature 5-30) Use a copper crush washer on the drain plug and use a Wix/KnN/Amsoil filter.

Brakes: Depending on how you bleed the brakes you will need 1-2 L of brake fluid. (just buy 2L) Motul 600 is amazing brake fluid but builds up water quickly. (like 6 months you need to change it) I use Motul when I know i'm going to track / Beat on it, and ATE Typ 200 When I need it to sit for a while (1-2 years between changes)
Stoptech pads are amazing street pads, I highly recommend them, you cant go wrong with EBC yellows, or Hawks HPS. Invest in steel brake lines, they make a positive improvment to brake feel.

Clutch: You probably should change this fluid too. I Highly recommend just using ATE type 200 as it last a long time before water buildup is a problem. You can get a stainless line for this as well. Something else to consider is Z1 Motorsports makes a bracket to secure the slave cylinder. This with the stainless line really helps pedal feel.

Trans: 2.9L Redline's MT-85, I have used Amsoil in the CD009 and It caused many issues (not wanting to go in 1-2 gears in the cold, 5th gear grinds) I was much happier with redline.

Diff: 1.4L Amsoil SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP I'm sure other brands are good, I use this.

Power steering: DEXRON III or equivalent Automatic Transmission Fluid. I use AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. I would recommend flushing this as well.

I would change all this just so you know where your car is at and can continue to maintain it properly! Grats on your car! GTs are very nice!
It also helps to make friends with someone who is an AMSOIL dealer. You can get most of these premium fluids for cheaper then the bargain basement stuff. I just got 6QTs of Ams signature and a Ams filter for 62 bucks. I was paying over 100 bucks for that picking it up off the shelf.

Last edited by NiLL; 04-27-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee

Ford GTs =P
Sorry I had too.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:25 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Not sure if it makes a difference, but Nissan requires Dexron VI (not III) for the P/S system.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Zaksle75

thanks guys!
but bad news lol huge pop noise the other day fluid was everywhere underneath the auto wasnt shifting threw a code P1000 whatever that is but everything worked fine after restarting car
annnnd my serpentine belt shredded everywhere... lol warranty though so yay

Quick Reply: 2007 350z HR (GT) Potential Buyer Questions