Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

My first 350z

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Gadget

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My first 350z

Hello guys, I thought I posted here but apparently it never went through. Soo I suppose I'll redo it.

Background.
I'm just a lad in upstate NY, somewhere in my 20's. Im a forum junkie, I love lurking in the technical issues categories and learning what possible problems I may encounter in the future and how they are solved soo im not wasting people's time with something that's already been answered in 2009. I'm constantly reading posts on this forum about possible mods and issues to establish a better understanding of my Z and what route I'd like to go down with build.

Previous car build history
Soo I'm from the hated world of honda, most of my cars were honda/acura mainly because they were cheap and I was broke and still newly into tinkering with cars and Honda is a very easy platform to start out with.
I have only built one car by myself, this car was a 95 Integra GSR. I did a complete bottom and top end rebuild and suspension upgrade and Tranny swap. I was running hondata 200 (at the time it was new) with forged eagle rods and rs machined type r high comp pistons with acl bearings and Arp head studs. Skunk 2 stage 2 cams, apexi ws2 exhaust, b16 helical lsd trans, function and form type 2 coils and a sht ton more I just don't have the patience to type. It was the car that gave me a general understanding of how tedious engine building is. I don't claim to be an expert as I learn new things all the time and contously run into problems I need to research to fix. But thays pretty much that. I've helped friends with countless B series builds from N/A to F/I and have witnessed a few detonations.
Anyway....

I just bought an 06 350z touring 6MT with 114k miles on it from a local dealer for a price I couldn't refuse. The body is a solid 9/10 especially for being a North Eastern car its whole life. Although it has only had 1 owner besides myself.

My goals
Currently I have installed a Borla TD cat back the first day I purchased the car.
I'm looking for N/A build with slightly increased power and reliability, with main focus being on handling. his car may see the track but only once or twice a year and will be mainly aimed towards street car and pretty lookin. It's going to be my daily driver all year round (I have backup daily though)

Looking to make mid 300 hp and tq and handling overhaul. Pics and better write up later to come in a seperate Build post.

Hope you enjoyed my sloppy post from mobile. 😗
​​​​
​​
​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Gadget:
Atreyu'z 350 (11-27-2017), zakmartin (11-29-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Gadget

Oh here's a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails My first 350z-img_20171121_184848_714.jpg   My first 350z-img_20171122_174543_757.jpg  

Last edited by Gadget; 11-27-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:18 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome- but if you think you'll make 320-350 HP with bolt-ons, keep reading. Also, what kind of driving background do you have? That'll make a difference in what kind of handling mods to suggest for you.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (12-31-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Gadget

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome- but if you think you'll make 320-350 HP with bolt-ons, keep reading. Also, what kind of driving background do you have? That'll make a difference in what kind of handling mods to suggest for you.
Lol I didn't specify I'd be doing bolt on build. Just that I've only added borla exhaust.
But Yess bolt ons such as test pipes, plenum spacer etc will be done.

I plan on Engine management, fuel management, forged eagle rods and slightly higher comp ratio pistons. Still exploring but soo far that's my general idea. Nothing set in stone.

As for handing id like less body roll and a more balanced weight distribution.

As for driving background I've participated In a couple open track and amateur track days in my integra. Haven't been able to do so in the Z since it's winter time but first day the track has open session I will be there for to establish a base and work from there.

But as I mentioned this will mostly be for street spirited driving with very little track time maybe twice a year. MAYBE. Right now will be focused on surviving winter lol. I appreciate the thought of suggestions but I think I'll be alright for the time being. If I have questions though, I'll be sure to ask. There is more than enough information on these forums to get an idea of how to go about handling and performance. Thanks for the welcome

Last edited by Gadget; 11-27-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Atreyu'z 350 (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome, Gadget.
Gadget (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Welcome to the boards! Any rust issues on the underside or does it still look pretty good?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Gadget

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Welcome to the boards! Any rust issues on the underside or does it still look pretty good?
No rust underneath. Looks fantastic on the underside. Since I live in upstate NY that was the first thing I looked at and once I saw how clean it was I couldn't refuse the price. I have it under coated now to keep it that way
zakmartin (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadget
No rust underneath. Looks fantastic on the underside. Since I live in upstate NY that was the first thing I looked at and once I saw how clean it was I couldn't refuse the price. I have it under coated now to keep it that way

That's what I did to mine a couple weeks after I bought it. They go crazy with the salt here, too.. I think it came out well.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:27 PM
liven Z life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome where are you In NY I have been seeing a grey Z around my town lately I hadn't before. My car is away for winter so haven't been able to say hello. Just curious if your close to the glens falls area?
Old 12-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Gadget

Originally Posted by liven Z life
Welcome where are you In NY I have been seeing a grey Z around my town lately I hadn't before. My car is away for winter so haven't been able to say hello. Just curious if your close to the glens falls area?
Ahh sorry i overlooked this post. I am about 45 minutes from glens falls. I used to live there actually, worked on dix ave a few years back currently closer to stillwater
Old 12-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Civi9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, I'm a current Honda owner, and am planning on keeping my 9th gen Civic as a daily, and buy a used Z and build it for weekend/track use.
I've had lots of fun with my supercharger, but I'm getting the itch for RWD and love the look and sound of the 350.

How are you liking it so far? Ie, how it drives compared to a smaller Honda, shifter feel, clutch feel, and maybe general thoughts of sturdiness.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Gadget

Originally Posted by Civi9
OP, I'm a current Honda owner, and am planning on keeping my 9th gen Civic as a daily, and buy a used Z and build it for weekend/track use.
I've had lots of fun with my supercharger, but I'm getting the itch for RWD and love the look and sound of the 350.

How are you liking it so far? Ie, how it drives compared to a smaller Honda, shifter feel, clutch feel, and maybe general thoughts of sturdiness.
Its definitely a switch up compared to honda, but in a good way. Shifting requires more force/effort from gear to gear, the trans is definitely a lot more notchy but you quickly get used to it and has a solid feel to it
The heavy fly wheel takes some getting used to as the rpms seem to hang a lot longer than our smaller hondas.
The clutch is more of a workout than a honda but thats expected
Car handles great not much body roll and the seats keep you from sliding around inside the cabin.

​​​​​All in all its a great purchase and the oem power you get will certainly have you suprised the first time you open her up. Im driving mine all year round (currently in nasty salt and snow covered roads) and i have no complaints. The car has the traction when i need it and breaks loose when i want it, recovery from slides is also like butter. I highly recommend going with a Z. At least a 06 for the rev up engine or 08 for the HR engine. Rev up has significantly more power than the 03-05 counterparts, 08 has slightly better response and about 6ish hp more than the 06.

The interior is cheaply done and painted plastics chip very easy.

​​​​Feel free to ask more detailed questions and ill do my best to help you out.

Expect to pay a substantial amount of money for power gains. Especially compared to honda where its cheap to build. The other thing is they are a lot more frustrating to work on than a 4cyl honda.

Last edited by Gadget; 12-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Civi9 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 09:18 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I get a kick out of this because Hondas are actually fine automobiles. It's only ill regarded due to the "ricer rep" they get from all of the silly ones out there (being from a lower buy-in and subsequently developed aftermarket for them...much like used Zs have become today).

I owned an injected (LXi) Accord Coupe back in the first year of the Coupe's production (1988) and it was a very competent car. Bought it brand new because that's what I could afford with my having bought my first house that year. Laff. Loved it and it handled decently, stock, and very decently when I eventually put shocks and springs into it.

I might still have the thing if it hadn't been destroyed by an errant drunk. Had 278k miles on it when it was put out to pasture in the late '90's. The ONLY thing it ever had done to it was a new clutch and regular oil/tuneups.

Comparing to a Z is truly apples to oranges not just by the performance classification but by sheer virtue of the FWD v. RWD orientation. But ya, everything is "lighter" on a Honda.... steering, clutch, shifting, etc. Either car CAN be driven fast, just different input techniques and overall at-limit characteristics. Again, all about the drive orientation and driver skill.

If I were shopping for another commuter car, I'd still look at Honda.
Civi9 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Civi9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heavy fly wheel takes some getting used to as the rpms seem to hang a lot longer than our smaller hondas.
The 9th gen Si has rev-hang, which I assume is similar to what you're describing. I have it tuned out of my current map.

At least a 06 for the rev up engine or 08 for the HR engine. Rev up has significantly more power than the 03-05 counterparts, 08 has slightly better response and about 6ish hp more than the 06.
I wondered why I was seeing different intake manifolds for different year Z's. I really like the look of the one in which there are 2 intake tubes, but from pictures it's hard to tell if there are 2 throttle bodies as well. Is that what the "HR" designation comes from?

Expect to pay a substantial amount of money for power gains. Especially compared to honda where its cheap to build. The other thing is they are a lot more frustrating to work on than a 4cyl honda.
I'm into my Civic for around $7,000 so far with suspension, RPF1's, Intake/Exhaust/Downpipe, shifter mods, FI, and braces/rear sway bar.

I think I'm interested in doing an NA build similar to what your plans are. Some mild-moderate internals, bolt ons, lightweight flywheel, and tune. And maybe full E85.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:36 AM
Gadget

Originally Posted by Civi9
The 9th gen Si has rev-hang, which I assume is similar to what you're describing. I have it tuned out of my current map.

I wondered why I was seeing different intake manifolds for different year Z's. I really like the look of the one in which there are 2 intake tubes, but from pictures it's hard to tell if there are 2 throttle bodies as well. Is that what the "HR" designation comes from?

I'm into my Civic for around $7,000 so far with suspension, RPF1's, Intake/Exhaust/Downpipe, shifter mods, FI, and braces/rear sway bar.

I think I'm interested in doing an NA build similar to what your plans are. Some mild-moderate internals, bolt ons, lightweight flywheel, and tune. And maybe full E85.

Yes the dual intake setup youve seen is an VQ35HR and yes it has 2 Throttle bodies compared to the Vq35DE and Rev Up versions which only have one intake and 1 throttle body.

From my research $7,000 into a 350z build will go pretty quick depending on what sort of suspension mods you are planning.

​​​​​My route for suspension will be bagged suspension with with SPL rear links, steering angle kit, Diff brace, and a few others i cant think of off the top of my head, i have a details list saved on my PC but ill attatch a screenshot of an outdated list i have on my phone. And that already puts me at around $2,500-$3,000.

Exhaust route i went with borla TD catback which cost me around $1100 and i still need Test pipes, resonator delete and Long tube headers which comes to about another $1,100ish soo far putting this build estimated around $5,000 ballpark.

After doing more research into N/A im more than likely going to go FI next year or two with Forged rods and Lower compression pistons with Acl bearings. Which is going to be about $10,000-$12,000 not including labor(doing it myself, probably going to buy a seperate lower mile engine and build it on the side when i have time and swap it in and keep current engine as backup) thankfully engines are cheap for the Z.

​​​​​With the VQ, you dont need to worry about intake like cold air or short ram, stock intake is very good and gives a nice whistle sound like a CAI would. Only thing im really adding for intake is a plenum spacer (intake manifold spacer)

Lightweight flywheel, and tune are also in my future.

The more i street this car, the more i want to track it soo until winter ends and i get a track day in, i cant really settle for what im doing for sure eith this build because i have no baseline of running i too hard.

QUOTE=MicVelo;10931641]I get a kick out of this because Hondas are actually fine automobiles. It's only ill regarded due to the "ricer rep" they get from all of the silly ones out there (being from a lower buy-in and subsequently developed aftermarket for them...much like used Zs have become today) [/QUOTE]

You are right, they are fine cars and are apples to oranges in comparison to the Z, not just drive train but the fact that honda is a 1.6-2.0l 4cyl where as the Z is a 3.5l v6 beast.

There really isnt a comparison.

​​​​​​
Attached Thumbnails My first 350z-screenshot_20171218-152319.png   My first 350z-screenshot_20171218-152405.png  

Last edited by Gadget; 12-18-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Civi9 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the new pickup

I would go with a vortech & a 7500rpm redline with your revup. Should be plenty of fun until you build the motor.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:36 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

What long tubes for $1100.... if obx, get ready for fitment issues
Old 12-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Gadget

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
Congrats on the new pickup

I would go with a vortech & a 7500rpm redline with your revup. Should be plenty of fun until you build the motor.
Well i doubt ill build this motor due to the mileage, ill be content with just bolt ons. What ill probably end up doing is buying a new or low mile HR and build it while daily driving this and after its all said and done just habe a shop swap it in since i wont really have time to do the swap myself. The more i drive the Z the more i change my mind about plans. I work 12hr overnight shifts so Ive got plenty of time to continue researching and readinf other people's builds.

As for long tube headers im not sure on the brand yet but good to know about obx. Thanks for that info. The price was including test pipes and res delete by the way.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:09 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Looking to make mid 300 hp and tq and handling overhaul. ​​
300 is a little lofty unless youre really got a plethera of bolts and a very aggressive tune...but do the bolt ons and see where you land.

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I get a kick out of this because Hondas are actually fine automobiles.
I came from a '93 integra ... it was a good platform and an otherwise really good car...I sorta miss it as a daily.

Well i doubt ill build this motor due to the mileage, ill be content with just bolt ons. What ill probably end up doing is buying a new or low mile HR and build it while daily driving this and after its all said and done just habe a shop swap it in since i wont really have time to do the swap myself. The more i drive the Z the more i change my mind about plans. I work 12hr overnight shifts so Ive got plenty of time to continue researching and readinf other people's builds.

As for long tube headers im not sure on the brand yet but good to know about obx. Thanks for that info. The price was including test pipes and res delete by the way.
If you plan to sell this Rev-up than you minimize your bolts ons and save your cash for your next z car.

I wouldnt promote to an HR rather go find a decent '03-'05 DE - especially if you're going to modify. I'm not a huge fan of the Rev-up engine due to issues with the exhaust cam phaser gear and the oil consumption issues. A turbo'd / modified DE will make +/- the same amount of power a HR will and there will be a considerably more options (for less money) for aftermarket and replacement parts not to mention the chassis' will be more readily available and lower cost.

just a thought...
Old 12-31-2017, 03:53 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually swapping an HR motor is very labor intensive (you will need to find a 07-08 vq35hr trans as well as swap over the the entire wiring harness & integrate all of the canbus functionality with the new motor & ECU/DBW to get it to run right. There is a shop in FL that does this service, the wiring & etc, for $1500-2000). Unless you really like that specific chassis you might as well sell that car & buy an 07-08 or just save the $$$ from the start and go FI.

Like the others said to break 300whp on the vq35de-r you will need aggressive cams & race gas, ITB's, or a stroker kit. All 3 have been done if you search through the tech section.