Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New to the Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Faaaa7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Z

Hey guys, am new to 350z, just bought a 2006 manual.
there are few things i’ve noticed am not sure what that is:
the gear shifter is shacking a lot specially after 140km/hr.
the clutch doesnt go all the way up after changing a gear.
i feel the rear suspentions are much stiffer than the front ones!

can u guys help me to what should i be looking into?!

Old 12-26-2017, 06:57 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Hello and welcome to the boards and congrats on the purchase.

Since you're not the original owner, you're going to have to do some inspecting and maybe a little research to see what kind of work has already been done on the car and what has been deferred. Is the title clean? Are there any mods? The clutch issue is very common in the 2007 and 2008 model years, but I'm not sure about 2006. If the clutch has never been changed, then it's probably going to need changing soon.

My advice (and you can take this with a grain of hindsight since you've already purchased the car) is to remember that when you buy a used car, you're probably buying someone else's problems. If you didn't spend the money to have a licensed mechanic do a thorough examination of the car before you purchased it, then you could be in for a significant repair bill after the sale.

With basic questions like the ones you asked, I'd strongly recommend you take the car to a good mechanic now and have them take a look at anything you're having concerns over. This will save you from throwing money at parts and work you don't need. We can only tell you so much over the internet since we aren't looking at the car in person.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well. Report back to the maintenance forum if you need help with something you can't find a search result for.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 11:48 PM
Faaaa7

I've already inspected the car before I buy it, and the result was good, no major problems with the car.

I was just asking these questions, because I wanted to know what is normal for the car, since I've never owned a Z before and don't know any around me has it. "i don't live in the US, so this car is not that popular where I live".

and I've went to more than one mechanic, regarding the clutch "one said you need to change the master, another said we'll do bleeding and clean the cylinder" and for the shifter, they said it needs a new mount.

I'll try and find a good mechanic I can trust, and lets hope for the best.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

It sounds like you've got your bases covered then. The rear shouldn't feel noticeably stiffer than the front unless the car has aftermarket shocks or springs on it. It's pretty well balanced from the factory, but like everything else, your suspension's going to progressively get worse with age. How many kilometers are on the odometer?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:25 PM
Faaaa7

It has 150K miles "imported from US", and all stock, no mods on it.

I've inspected the suspensions at a shop and he said they are fine, but I doubt that. the rear are so stiff that when they hit something on the road, they can shack the car left and right and I don't feel that on the front ones!!

Also if you look at the pic, the length between the tire and the body on the front are not the same on the rear (the front space fits 2 fingers and the rear 4 or more) "am not sure also if that normal or not" , I've owned cars before "accord v6, dodge charger" they didn't have that! , maybe because its not in the same category, I dunno.

Last edited by Faaaa7; 12-27-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Replace the flexible clutch line, it deteriorates over time and rebuild the master. The master gets sediment in it from the flexible line.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:25 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the forum Faaaa7. Just a note about your suspension, if its OEM and has never been replaced from new then its going to be a candidate for the scrap bin. These units usually last no more than 80 to 90K. Looking at it logically the front suspension is going to take at a bit more of a hammering than the rear because its going to be absorbing more under braking etc. Chances are that at 150K its had a replacement clutch at some time in its life and is perhaps due another. Maybe your car is shaking or moving about on the road because it needs a geometry set up. Believe me when i tell you if your tolerances are out you'll feel it. As ZAKMARTIN has said, chances are you're buying other peoples problems, but don't give up heart they are a fantastic car to drive. Try and find the best mechanic who knows about the 350Z in your area, and the best of luck to you.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Faaaa7, I'm in the UK at the moment in the process of celebrating The New Year, so have no reference info with me suffice to say that as long as you replace the thrust bearing and the slave cylinder, as a matter of course when replacing the clutch, then you should be good to go.IF I find any further info when I get back home I'll PM you.Judging by the photo you posted it looks to have been pretty well looked after.

Last edited by samsniss350z; 12-31-2017 at 04:22 PM.