Check Engine - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Check Engine

Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 AM
kaliaxel

Default Check Engine

So iím planning on buying a Z and this one iím looking at is for a good price, but thereís one thing wrong with it. It has the service engine light. He told me it was because it had no mufflers and no reasonators and it was welded so there is not o2 sensor. It was new piping 2.25Ē straight pipe. But it still does have the cats. He sent me this picture and I wanted to know if these are the right readings for a straight piped Z. Should I still get this Z?
Itís a 2003 350Z Touring.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 PM
travlee
Master

Thanked 5,779 Times in 3,977 Posts

I Wouldnt buy any car with a check engine light
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,375 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee View Post
I Wouldnt buy any car with a check engine light
^^^ So much this.

No O2 sensors? You mean all four are gone?

Must run real well. <===Note sarcasm.

Yeah, buying someone else's issues. The CEL isn't BECAUSE it has straight pipes. It's because of the obvious and questionable O2 sensor delete. Be prepared to tap & weld the pipes for O2 bungs, get new sensors (plus probable wiring) and re-learn the ECM. And then more issues when it doesn't clear the CEL. There's a lot of Zs always for sale, this sounds like one that shouldn't be.

It's cheap for a reason.

Last edited by MicVelo; 02-09-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:33 PM
kaliaxel

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
^^^ So much this.

No O2 sensors? You mean all four are gone?

Must run real well. <===Note sarcasm.

Yeah, buying someone else's issues. The CEL isn't BECAUSE it has straight pipes. It's because of the obvious and questionable O2 sensor delete. Be prepared to tap & weld the pipes for O2 bungs, get new sensors (plus probable wiring) and re-learn the ECM. And then more issues when it doesn't clear the CEL. There's a lot of Zs always for sale, this sounds like one that shouldn't be.

It's cheap for a reason.
Damn okay, if i decided to buy the car and buy a cat back for the car wouldnít i just be able to install the new exhaust and plug in new o2 sensors?
Old 02-09-2019, 04:00 PM
travlee
Master

No....
Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 AM
Chihuahuamaster

A 'catback' would not solve the issue. You're likely looking at replacing the catalytic converters and the primary O2 sensors.
The secondary sensors will also throw a code if they are out/ malfunctioning. But these would not affect driveability like the primary sensors (on the headers).

I would say it's not a terribly difficult issue to fix, but could cost upwards of $500 depending on what cats you replace with, and where you buy the sensors (rockauto) will have the Denso brand sensors for cheaper than I've found anywhere else. Also, if you're able to do the work yourself.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:46 AM
travlee
Master

He is a balla on a budget.... it will depend on how much money mommy and daddy gives him
Old 02-12-2019, 08:07 PM
kaliaxel

Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster View Post
A 'catback' would not solve the issue. You're likely looking at replacing the catalytic converters and the primary O2 sensors.
The secondary sensors will also throw a code if they are out/ malfunctioning. But these would not affect driveability like the primary sensors (on the headers).

I would say it's not a terribly difficult issue to fix, but could cost upwards of $500 depending on what cats you replace with, and where you buy the sensors (rockauto) will have the Denso brand sensors for cheaper than I've found anywhere else. Also, if you're able to do the work yourself.
I see now, i did more research and saw that the o2 sensors are by the cats area. now i just gotta wait until my next paycheck to buy sensors for it!