Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine temp high, then check engine light - code U1000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine temp high, then check engine light - code U1000?

Well it wasn't exactly a track... this fresh bit of tarmac out in the boonies for a new residential area with no houses yet. Anyway I did a few runs around it and my engine temp was starting to get pretty high (lots of elevation changes). This always happens since I got the car, i'm assuming there is probably air in the coolant system.

Anyway engine temp was high, it switched to failsafe mode (5AT trans goes into 4th gear and stays there until you restart the engine), then the gear selection display goes blank and the "Engine Service Soon" light comes on. I stopped and let the engine run so it would cool down, then restarted the engine... Everything back to normal and working fine except still had the ESS/CEL light on.

Took it to a auto parts store and barrowed a code reader, just came back with U1000... after some searching just looks like a comm problem between the ECU and reader. They didn't have another reader for me to barrow so we just reset it. Drove it home fine and it hasn't come back on yet.

Any ideas as to what it could of been? Maybe it just got too hot and one of the sensors found something out of normal operating range so it threw a code? Hopefully everything is fine... seems the same, except I did notice the AT shifting a bit rough at one point.

I checked my fluid levels and oil and its all good.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:02 PM
coachk
Banned

I think all the codes start with the letter P.....go to the maintenance and repair section and check out the sticky there.It has all the codes...the thread title is DTC definitions
Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM
gregom

Yeah I already checked it... No U's. If the code comes back i'm going to another store to see if I can try a different code reader.

But if anyone has experienced this it would be nice to know what caused it, if anyone knows.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:49 PM
crg914

P codes = Powertrain related
B codes = Body related
C codes = Chassis related
U codes = Network related

Some module is not communicating like it should. Could be a problem with the CAN bus. The overheat condition sounds more like a symptom, not a cause. Take it to a dealer, or someone competent.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:45 PM
gregom

Good to know... thanks for posting that.

The engine temp only gets high though when i'm racing up-hill... around town and everything it has no problems.

Now that the ECU code was reset I think i'll try and check for a code again and see if I get the U1000 again. Maybe the code reader just had problems connecting to the Z's computer. I'm not sure... never really messed with code readers much.

I might have my dealership change the oil and check the computer out too. Usually don't like having to pay someone to change oil but it needs done soon and i'm lazy.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Hoooper

check the FSM for the meaning of the code, easy enough to do and even if the code was a fluke then you know what it means if it ever comes back. Then, you can post in the sticky so we all know what it means

http://phatg20.net/index.php?option=...ileinfo&id=109 If you dont already have one

Last edited by Hoooper; 07-28-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
brandon85

U1000 one the the modules did not recieve a message from another module that it expected. With the U1000 the module that expected the message doesn't know which module did not send the expected info. So unless there is a specific module not communicating the code is imo useless.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 AM
gregom

I'll have to plug in another reader soon and see if I still get U1000. No CEL light yet though...