Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

2007 Nismo 350z: Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:26 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MC
i am as soon as its broken in. that and autoX . i used to do alot of track days but i only quit because my stock brakes on my other Z wasnt up to par and i had issues with them. so as soon as this car is broken in its back to VIR and maybe even the old NASCAR track i used to go to. but until then i am autoXing as soon as next month
I'll be shooting pics for the Triangle Z HPDE at CMP August 4-5. Check with Stack & see if there's room. Stack & Marty (members here) run a top notch HPDE.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:56 AM
jmark

Originally Posted by brandonanix
its crazy that someone this negative towards the NISMO brand and the thought of a higher performance Z, would purchase one to begin with. kind of disapointing to me that Z owners act this way to their fellow owners and cars.
All I have to say is don't go look at one or drive a friends or you'll be trying to figure out to get one.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:23 AM
brandonanix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmark
All I have to say is don't go look at one or drive a friends or you'll be trying to figure out to get one.
Ive already been trying to figure a way to get a red one, and throw my time attacks on it
Old 07-20-2007, 04:36 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VeeTec

http://nissannews.com/nissan/2007veh...smoz/specs.pdf

fyi.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

That's okay. The people who don't think its worth it will be falling behind us on the track.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:40 AM
jmark

Originally Posted by Changvi
+1.....Its called Jealousy....Thinking about trading in my Z for one...
Bingo. Don't go to the dealer unless you are ready to do it. Trust me if you see one you'll be just like Matt! I know if I had not known about the car & just stopped in yesterday & saw my car sitting their it would have been all over......

Last edited by jmark; 07-20-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:52 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Bingo. Don't go to the dealer unless you are ready to do it. Trust me if you see one you'll be just like Mat! I know if I had not known about the car & just stopped in yesterday & saw my car sitting their it would have been all over......
Yea exactly what happened to me. I did this as well. Walk in just to look and take pictures. Next thing I know I was driving it off the showroom floor.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:55 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Bingo. Don't go to the dealer unless you are ready to do it. Trust me if you see one you'll be just like Mat! I know if I had not known about the car & just stopped in yesterday & saw my car sitting their it would have been all over......
Well thats not good for me. I am going to a dealer to pick up my 03 from a tranny replacement. I think if they had a white one there and would do sticker out the door. I would trade mine in.

There are some good arguments. Like the same HP output. Yea the Nismo edition should have a little more.

And yea Nissan could have thrown on some more Nismo goodies.

Chris(well see if I still have the 03)

Still waiting on Matts pics of the white one at his dealers...
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 AM
jmark

Originally Posted by NA&CH
Well thats not good for me. I am going to a dealer to pick up my 03 from a tranny replacement. I think if they had a white one there and would do sticker out the door. I would trade mine in.

There are some good arguments. Like the same HP output. Yea the Nismo edition should have a little more.

And yea Nissan could have thrown on some more Nismo goodies.

Chris(well see if I still have the 03)

Still waiting on Matts pics of the white one at his dealers...
I don't there would be a bad color choice for a Nismo Z. Black cleaned up must be stunning. Matt's pictures prove that for sure. I am too **** to own a black one. Love my Silver Alloy. I owned a PPW Track. I think it would contrast perfectly with the gray Nismo body kit. Chris IMHO at MSRP or less the Nismo Z is a no brainer. Red while I am sure it looks great will only draw more attention to this car. Trust me it doesn't need that.......
Old 07-20-2007, 05:05 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119709

This is a good article:

As we buried our right boot exiting the last hairpin in 2nd gear, the tach needle of the 2007 Nissan Nismo 350Z raced northeast across the dial. It didn't waver and we rode a tsunami of forward thrust toward 7,000 rpm.

We'd heard that Nissan would be testing the 2007 Nismo 350Z at Tsukuba Circuit, the most popular racetrack in Japan, so we dropped by to see what all the fuss was about.

That's how we found ourselves at 125 mph on the back straight of this 1.3-mile circuit with the 2007 Nismo 350Z asking for more.

Z, the next generation
From the moment the Nissan 350Z launched in 2002, it's been a hot prospect on the road. There were plenty of people (including many at Nissan) who believed the Z-car would never make a comeback from the brink of irrelevance, yet 200,000 350Zs have been parked in garages around the world since then, including 27,278 in the U.S. last year.

The centerpiece of the 2007 350Z is a new, high-revving 306-horsepower version of Nissan's well-known, 3.5-liter VQ-Series V6. Motohiro Matsumura, the engineer who directed the design of the original VQ, tells us that Nissan originally asked him to control noise and vibration in the company's first all-aluminum engine, and his use of lightweight yet rigid parts led him to excellent performance at the same time.

Some 80 percent of the VQ35HR engine is new. Twin throttle bodies, a higher compression ratio and straighter intake ports help squeeze out more power, while variable valve timing for the intake and exhaust cams broadens the power band. To help the engine withstand the higher 7,500-rpm redline, the crankshaft's pins and journals are larger in diameter and the crankshaft's main bearing carrier is supported by a ladder-type frame. Meanwhile, the connecting rods are 8.4mm longer to help reduce vibration, a measure that required a revised engine block with a taller deck height.

When the new high-revving, 3.5-liter VQ35HR V6 is hooked up to the Nismo 350Z's six-speed manual transmission, it delivers 306 horsepower at 6,800 rpm. The torque output is 268 pound-feet at 4,800 rpm, but, more important, 90 percent of peak torque is available between 2,000 rpm and 7,000 rpm.

Chassis tricks from Japan
The chassis of the Nismo 350Z has been developed by Autech, a Japanese company that produces specialty models for Nissan and also prepares Nissan's entries in the Japanese Super GT racing series.

Autech welds up some of the seams in the Z-car's body to increase structural rigidity and also installs the usual strut-tower braces. The Nismo 350Z also features special Yamaha-built mass dampers between the left- and right-side frame members beneath the unit-body chassis to control vibration in this new, stiffer body. This is technology adapted from the mass dampers Yamaha formerly supplied to the Honda Formula 1 team.

There are plenty of signature Nismo pieces within the interior, but the car is more noteworthy for special exterior bodywork developed by Nissan for racing, including a front aero splitter, a front bumper cover, rocker-sill extensions and a dramatic rear treatment with a wing.

The Nismo 350Z rides on lightweight forged wheels and carries 245/40R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R tires in front and 275/35R19s in the rear. Specially tuned springs and dampers are part of the package.

The racing connection
It took just two corners of Tsukuba to realize just how freely the new V6 spins toward its 7,500-rpm redline. The outgoing VQ engine had loads of punch through the midrange, but the new HR (high-revving) engine has real staying power at peak rpm. It has a dry, crisp and yet authoritative exhaust note that becomes an addictive roar above 5,000 rpm.

As we charged toward Tsukuba's second hairpin at 80 mph in 3rd gear, we jumped on the brake pedal and engaged the big four-pot Brembos, plucked 2nd gear with the short-throw shift linkage and then clipped the tight apex at around 45 mph. Letting the tach needle plummet to an indicated 2 grand, we floored the throttle and unleashed a torrent of power that continued right to the redline at 7,500 rpm.

The newly found high-end power tempts you to keep the engine on the boil above 5,000 rpm, yet if you find yourself lower in the rpm range, there's plenty of torque to climb the ladder to peak power again.

Just like a classic Nissan engine, the new VQ's throttle response is crisp and the engine pulls strongly across the full sweep of the tachometer. There's no difference between the engine of the Nismo 350Z and that of the 2007 Nissan 350Z, yet the engine feels so rewarding, there might not need to be any difference.

The Nismo 350Z's real mark of distinction lies in its track-ready chassis. At Tsukuba, the Nismo 350Z recorded a lap time of 1:05.9, some 1.3 seconds quicker than the most aggressive model of the standard 350Z. The Nismo 350Z turns in sharper, corners quicker with less body roll, and both squats less under acceleration and dives less under braking.

Push the Nismo 350Z as we did through the track's long right-hand sweeper, and it will understeer at first. Once you feather the throttle for a moment, though, the car assumes a neutral attitude and you can use the VQ 6's wide power band to steer the car with the throttle in a way that's more progressive and controllable than ever before.

Of course the V6's meatier top-end power means that the rear end will break traction sooner, but the slide is easier to catch once the sideways stuff starts.

A track car, not a street car
The downside of the Nismo 350Z is quickly apparent on the street.

All the newfound chassis rigidity combined with the stiff-legged, track-ready suspension calibration and aggressive, low-profile Bridgestone RE-01R tires combines to deliver a harsh ride that'll shake your fillings loose even on Japan's magically smooth roads.

It'll be interesting to see if Americans are willing to pay a premium for a track-ready Z-car that doesn't feature a special measure of added engine power, but the new VQ V6 is so impressive that they might not notice.

With the 2007 Nismo 350Z, Nissan has taken one of the world's best sports cars, given it a look that's both unique and functional and built up a razor-sharp chassis that's capable of extreme performance. You'll want to keep the engine on the boil at nearly 7,000 rpm just like we did.

We'll see what's next for Nismo, as we hear it's preparing a 400-hp 380RS edition of the Z-car that will be powered by a detuned version of the 3.8-liter V6 used by the Autech-prepared Z-car driven by Michael Krumm that won the 2006 Japanese Super GT racing series.

Edmunds attended a manufacturer-sponsored event, to which selected members of the press were invited, to facilitate this report.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:08 AM
jmark

Good read although I think the car's ride is more than acceptable for the street. The car with the 3.8RS motor would be killer!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:40 AM
VeeTec

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
I got mine straight from the manufacturers current specs.

The news release you mention contains some out of date weight estimates. Nissan updated their specs, after realizing they were overinflated on some models.

http://www.nissanusa.com/z/specifications-coupe.html

I weighed my car on two seperate occasions, and it showed 3,235 to 3,240 actual lbs, with half a tank of gas, and some travel items.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9166/p3150020gv2.jpg
Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 AM
VeeTec

Now if someone will weigh their Nismo, we will know what the actual weight is.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 AM
fast kiwi

Originally Posted by MC
its like this i drove it 80 miles today. and while i didnt rev it over 4500K i was able to get a great sense of handling. it is amazing and im saying that unbiased ive owned a 03 Z 98 C5 vette and a 05 C6 vette this thing is so stiff and stable through the turns. i havent really pushed the HR engine yet

ask your self this are you a nismo fanatic? do you follow super GT racing in japan? does a numbered car matter to you? for me the answer was yes. fans of nismo know what this car is and it is something very special to them. ive been hardcore for nismo as much as anyone in the entire Z community my 03 Z had to nismo V1 kit then the V2 kit and both the nismo 18 and 19 " LMGT4's so this car was a natural progression for me. if your not nismo obsessed its still a unique Z to have if nothing else. but has far as worth it go see it in person and you should answer your own question in about seconds, i did

performance wise i drove a 2003 so the fit and finish of the 07 is much greater the steering is tighter the clutch feels better and the interior is a welcomed change from what i had.

last year i test drove 4 cayman's would i take my car over a cayman after driving both? yes as for the BMW that is a very cult like following aswell so what side of the fence are you on?

+1.. ask your self if your a true Nismo fanatic.. if you are then theres no question.. BMW has the highest resale in luxury cars but i can honestly say the Nismo may very well hold a good value as well.. I agree with this quote in that both cars are kinda "Cult" cars that cant b hated on, the 335i outa the box is a much quicker car (trust me on this) but i cant only imagine how great that Nismo Z handles and how fun it will be side ways.. rememebr also the 335i has no LSD so it kinda blows for tracking etc.. it wont handle like your M3 (which is crazy your giving to your g/f but thats another story) I suggest you drive em both.. HARD and see which one you fall in love with, you wont hate either...... Good luck..
Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by VeeTec
Now if someone will weigh their Nismo, we will know what the actual weight is.

There is a scale not to far from my work. Wonder if they would let me use it to weigh the car. Hmm.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:59 AM
jmark

Originally Posted by MC
oh ive run with them about 4-5 times. i know them well great guys!! im going to be in atlanta during that week. im trying to do one maybe september or october
They are at the Rock Oct 6-7. I won't be there cause my daughter gets married Oct. 6.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Suvlaki

buy an rsx

Quick Reply: 2007 Nismo 350z: Is it worth it?