Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

HR NISMO Spring Rates...Mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
msukach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HR NISMO Spring Rates...Mystery?

Ok...flame suit on...I've searched but perhaps not that extensively...has anyone determined what are the spring rates on HR NISMO?

Double breasted flame suit on...want to lower the car 1.5/1 or 1/1 but can't see going with coilovers merely to drop the car a little--especially without knowing what the specs on the springs and shocks are on the HR.

I'm almost willing just to try, say Swift Spec Rs, just to test...but if/when it goes bad, I'd have another part to sell.

Of course, if the springs turn out to perform well and enhance the look I'm interested in, then there's the added chance of having to add to the expense by purchasing cambers, etc to re-align the car.

My Z is a DD...I don't track or race.

So far, everyone I see who has changed the suspension has good success with coilovers but, given that expense, I still want to know what I'm replacing.

Ok...fire away...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
pacfwu

The only thing I've been able to find about the stock Nismo suspension is that it's 35% stiffer than stock.

I personally spent a long time searching for information, talking to people, and trying to figure out what would be the best way to go as far as modifying the suspension and I learned one thing: It's all apples to oranges.

Fundamentally, a Nismo should be like a standard 350z. If all you do is add lowering springs, they might not match well with the shocks and give you a crappy ride. Mainly, you just need a matched spring/strut combo that will work for what you need the car for.

Best bet is to think of your car like any other 350z and pour over the Suspension section of this forum. That's all I did, and this one post was what stuck with me:

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

If you study the threads, you'll see the same recommend units coming up again and again by guys who know what we're talking about, such as us, G35sedan, and a few others. Study these threads, and you'll end up with something suitable for your needs and budget
Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 AM
msukach

Originally Posted by pacfwu
The only thing I've been able to find about the stock Nismo suspension is that it's 35% stiffer than stock.

I personally spent a long time searching for information, talking to people, and trying to figure out what would be the best way to go as far as modifying the suspension and I learned one thing: It's all apples to oranges.

Fundamentally, a Nismo should be like a standard 350z. If all you do is add lowering springs, they might not match well with the shocks and give you a crappy ride. Mainly, you just need a matched spring/strut combo that will work for what you need the car for.

Best bet is to think of your car like any other 350z and pour over the Suspension section of this forum. That's all I did, and this one post was what stuck with me:
I probably haven't gotten through all of the suspension section but certainly a great deal of it. Agreed--expertise...or, rather, the sharing of expertise generated from experience is always a big plus and what the forums are, in part, designed to do. Just haven't found the facts yet...like you, the most I've been able to find follows from what you found:

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...0&postcount=27

"Nismo tuned sport suspension for improved cornering and response
*35% stiffer progressive rate springs for improved handling without
compromising ride quality. Front damping factor increased 25%
and rear increased 50% for enhanced control and minimal body roll."

May just leave it the way it is and move on to other "knowns" for what little mods I'll do before I see FI kits in the marketplace.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:03 AM
NISMOFO

So the facts is that there are no facts on this yet? Just the % increase numbers on shocks/springs............hmmm.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:40 AM
msukach

I've yet to find anything more regarding the HR NISMO suspension...pacfwu may be able to chime in on the spring/shock data since he presumably still has his....
Old 05-03-2008, 09:55 AM
StoneZtech

Smile

Autech tune the setup.

NISMO/Nissan built them.

That's what I think.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless someone independently tests the rates, I doubt any more info will be revealed about this suspension.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:19 PM
pacfwu

Originally Posted by msukach
I've yet to find anything more regarding the HR NISMO suspension...pacfwu may be able to chime in on the spring/shock data since he presumably still has his....

Well I've still got them, but it's not as though I've run tests on them. The spring rates are 35% stronger than stock. So I think I figured them out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7kg(f)/10kg(r). It was awhile ago, so I could be mistaken. The main difference is going to be the valving in the shocks. That's where your x-factor is going to be. And short of someone sending them out to be reverse engineered, this is probably going to remain an unknown.

Originally Posted by StoneZtech
Autech tune the setup.

NISMO/Nissan built them.

That's what I think.
Tokico builds them.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:14 AM
msukach

Thanks for the quick response...if you have a second, can you post the part numbers for front/rear shocks and springs? Maybe I can do a little more research to help clear up this unknown....
Old 05-04-2008, 03:34 PM
NISMOFO

I just installed the front struts/springs and rear shocks/springs from a newer Nismo Z on my 2003 Touring model. When I compare the overall weight of the cars.....my car is supposed to be 105 lbs lighter. When I compared the length of the overall strut assembly...the Nismo was roughly 1/2" shorter. Rear springs were also about 1/2"...maybe less. Shocks/struts are Tokico.....it says it right on them...engraved on the side.

I was surprised at how soft the ride is. i'm on my stock 18" Touring wheels at the moment. But I've ridden in a Z with S-Tune (19" wheels though) and it was a lot more firm/bouncy. Bascially, I was expecting a rough ride, and I got far from it.

The car isn't any lower either. The front is pretty much right where I left it...nearly identical from my before/after measurements. The rear is actually higher (yes, I installed the springs correctly...lol) by about 1/2". The I can see, and it is shown in the measurements. I've put maybe 15 miles on it today total. I'm waiting to see if it settle before I get an alignment. Also waiting on my new wheels.

I have a hunch that the rear raised up because my rear shocks were pretty much toast. I think the car might have been sqwatting a little from being roughly 5 years old now....that's just a hunch. But the progressive springs might have something to do with it as well.

My overall impression is that is Nismo Z suspension is a very toned down version of the S-Tune. Its very daily driver friendly and pretty soft. It kind of feels like I'm driving a new car right now.

Also, I have stock sways on the car right now. Unless someone can tell me otherwise.....I believe the Nismo Z has the same sways as stock? Or they're larger and they just painted them black like every other Z? I'm planning on Nismo sways though.....that's what the car really needed more than anything and it's still has a lot of body roll...the steering could be tighter for sure.

I'm not a performance guru......I don't track my car either. I've ran hotchkis springs on my last two z's. tokicos adjustables on the last one as well. I just want a tighter handling daily driver. So that is what my goal was....nothing for the track or anything crazy. I think sways would help tremendously though.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
msukach

NISMOFO - thanks for this feedback--I think we're getting closer to clearing up that unknown. I too have driven an S-Tune and have the same impression as you regarding the ride comparison to the NISMO Z's suspension--"a very toned down version of the S-Tune."

This is jsut speculation...but, with the exception of a few options--like the additional front/rear horizontal dampers and the Rays wheels--, the NISMO Z seems like a consumer grade S-tune. The exhaust exhaust and suspension are "NISMO-tuned"--a term that appear less defined than one would think--certainly doesn't mean S/R-tuned .

I'm not knocking the NISMO--I love mine...but I'm often a victim of marketing--particularly w/Nissans! It is what it is...that said, I still find terms like "NISMO-tuned" not misleading but certainly indeterminate.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The belief that the s-tune suspension is more harsh than the NISMO is a shared sentiment on here. There are a few NISMO owners who previously had 350Zs equipped with the S-tune who had similar thoughts.

However, even though they thought that the S-tune was more harsh and likely more stiff, they all mentioned that the NISMO is the better handling car.

About sway bars, from a search on here, you'll find that it has been mentioned that the front bar is the same, but the rear is specific to the NISMO. And it should be mentioned, that '03 Zs are supposed to be stiffer that later years.

NISMFO, if you don't mind, could you share how much you bought the suspension bits for.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 AM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by Sensi09
The belief that the s-tune suspension is more harsh than the NISMO is a shared sentiment on here. There are a few NISMO owners who previously had 350Zs equipped with the S-tune who had similar thoughts.

However, even though they thought that the S-tune was more harsh and likely more stiff, they all mentioned that the NISMO is the better handling car.

About sway bars, from a search on here, you'll find that it has been mentioned that the front bar is the same, but the rear is specific to the NISMO. And it should be mentioned, that '03 Zs are supposed to be stiffer that later years.

NISMFO, if you don't mind, could you share how much you bought the suspension bits for.
I bought the suspension parts used, so I'd rather not say what I bought them for. I'll say that I got a good deal though and only paid a fracture of what the S-tune costs.

I might need to look into getting a rear sway bar then from the 2007-2008 Nismo Z rather than putting on S-tune sways. Maybe that would be a better idea.

If I owned a Nismo Z though, and I wanted more from the car.....I would probably switch to S-tune parts.....or maybe just S-tune sways. I'm not sure if the S-tune sways would hurt or help the handling of the car at all though?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ No way. I am not second guessing the Nismo Z's balance. If I was racing the car and had tons of money to experiment maybe. No reason to do it otherwise. Just putting part of a Nismo Z suspension on a standard Z is not going to work IMHO. There are too many pieces missing. Some which you can't duplicate.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:31 AM
NISMOFO

I know there are extra welds to stiffen the car and some bracing under the car. But the car I road in with the S-tune didn't have any of that and it felt was way more planted to the road. But I guess there is such a thing as too stiff as well.....and just enough body roll. Maybe the Nismo Z has that? But it's definite tame and soft for what I expected.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I think that is the beauty of the Nismo Z setup. It handles great, lowers the car and still rides very well. I am not saying it could not be improved on. I do believe it would compromise the balance & ride the car provides however. It is interesting the SCCA turned down the Nismo 350Z for T2 competition. I really think the Nismo Z would make a killer T2 racer. Add T2 springs, Motorsport sway bars & JRZ shocks in conjunction with the stiffer chassis and functioning body work.....
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
NISMOFO

Default Nismo Edition Suspension vs stock 2003 Touring Pics:

Here are some pictures comparing the Nismo Edition Suspension (not the S-tune) to my stock 2003 Touring suspension w/nearly 45K miles on it.

Front Left Strut

Front Right Strut

Rear Shocks (same part #)

Front

Rear (springs are shown upside down...obviously)

Old 05-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pacfwu
Well I've still got them, but it's not as though I've run tests on them. The spring rates are 35% stronger than stock. So I think I figured them out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7kg(f)/10kg(r). It was awhile ago, so I could be mistaken. The main difference is going to be the valving in the shocks. That's where your x-factor is going to be. And short of someone sending them out to be reverse engineered, this is probably going to remain an unknown.

Tokico builds them.
Oem spring rates are as follows

2003/2004
314/342 (wheel rate 149/144

2004.5/2007 (should be the same for 2008)
314/427 (wheel rate 149/180

S-tune shock/spring kit
448/504 (progressive springs, especially in rear)
(wheel rate 212/212)

Nismo Z (using +35%, if accurate)
424/576 (rear progressive, but front spring is the same linear style as other oem springs, though all have a slight taper in outside diameter that will lend a slight amount of progressive spring rate)
(wheel rate 201/273)

If anyone want's to know the spring rates on the Nismo Z and is willing to send me a single front and rear spring, I will get the community the rates. Springs will be shipped back within 48hrs of receipt at my expence. Some of the oem rate data that we have came from members doing just that.

If a single Nsimo Z front shock and rear shock were to also be shipped to me I will provide a shock dyno at my expence, though keep in mind that the turn around time will not be 48hrs, likely 7-10 day's before they would be dropped off with Fedex ground. I have oem 2003 shocks waiting to be dyno'd as well as Koni yellows. Hoping to dyno several others as well.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Stiff and lower doesn't always mean it will handle better. It's all in the tuning. Until a S-Tune can out handle a NISMO Z in numbers, then it is still not as good in handling.

The NISMO suspension shows itself on the track and IMHO my car is very stiff, compared to other 350z I have been in. But yes the S-Tune is slightly lower than the NISMO.

Originally Posted by msukach
NISMOFO - thanks for this feedback--I think we're getting closer to clearing up that unknown. I too have driven an S-Tune and have the same impression as you regarding the ride comparison to the NISMO Z's suspension--"a very toned down version of the S-Tune."

This is jsut speculation...but, with the exception of a few options--like the additional front/rear horizontal dampers and the Rays wheels--, the NISMO Z seems like a consumer grade S-tune. The exhaust exhaust and suspension are "NISMO-tuned"--a term that appear less defined than one would think--certainly doesn't mean S/R-tuned .

I'm not knocking the NISMO--I love mine...but I'm often a victim of marketing--particularly w/Nissans! It is what it is...that said, I still find terms like "NISMO-tuned" not misleading but certainly indeterminate.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 AM
NISMOFO

Nismo S-tune sways are 35mm front/ 22mm rear.

Does anyone know the sway bar thickness on the stock 2007/2008 models vs the Nismo Edition Z? I think I read that only the rear was different for the Nismo. But also, the front was thicker on the stock Z's because of the heavier HR motor.

Just wondering which sways I should put on this Nismo Suspension...S-Tune...or stock (the way it came).

I really do love the suspension, it was just softer than what I expected. I agree stiffer does not mean better.

Quick Reply: HR NISMO Spring Rates...Mystery?