Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Nissan is buying me a new bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:42 PM
NewJoyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bena1916
well I tried to go through this process of getting it replaced with zero luck. the dealership and then nissan both refused to replace mine for the exact same cracks--the district service representative was impossible to speak with in person and refused to even look at the car. my experience was less than stellar
Try a different dealer.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
windsorvr

mine has both sides cracked and the bumper has only been used for 11k miles... dealership is giving me the run around, not looking good for me
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
SHIROZE

Just took my Nismo to the dealer to inspect this issue that I found happening as described below. The passenger side has a bump with no tear. The driver side is ok. Their plan is to remove facsia, rework bump and touch-up, and notch both guides. The are positive Nissan will approve. I'll keep you updated.

If your having trouble with the dealership, then:
1) make sure your really nice to the service rep - use the same guy all the time
2) ask your service rep to show the manager, ask the manager to show GM, ask the GM to show the owner
3) call Nissan directly and explain situation with car - explain that dealer "would like to help, but doesn't know what to submit". That way your car will be in the manufacturers database with notes with a reference number. Then tell the dealer that Nissan said car needs to be inspected and a report submitted for this reference number.
4) Have the dealer put in writing why the tear/bump is not covered under warranty when other dealers have covered it. But nicely ask and make sure the letter has the reference number on it.

So, I use the same rep at the dealership. I didn't even buy the car there. I called Nissan first to report and have a reference number, just didn't need it. My car had two rust spots in the engine bay that I wanted fixed when the car had 800 miles on it. They fixed it at the body shop. Took it back to the service rep, told him what a great job the body guys did. So the service guy knows me, knows my car, and that I am very appreciative. When his manager came out today, I told him how impressed I was with my service rep and how good the body guys are. I showed him their work and thanked him. Tell me, how could he say no. People skills are an art, but anyone can learn how to nicely, genuinely thank people, and get their way.

You'll get it - just be nicely persistant not

Last edited by SHIROZE; 08-19-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:10 PM
bena1916

At the end of the day because I had some light scrapes (from entering my driveway at just the wrong angle once or twice) underneath the bumper they're not going to warranty it as they say this was the cause. Glad others are having a better response from Nissan and their dealers than me.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
SHIROZE

At the end of the day because I had some light scrapes (from entering my driveway at just the wrong angle once or twice) underneath the bumper they're not going to warranty it as they say this was the cause. Glad others are having a better response from Nissan and their dealers than me.
I get that, BUT if everyone else is having the same problem - they are full of crap. Politely push the issue and keep calling Nissan. I bet almost every chin has a scrape.

Last edited by SHIROZE; 08-21-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:19 PM
SHIROZE

Originally Posted by SHIROZE
I get that, BUT if everyone else is having the same problem - they are full of crap. Politely push the issue and keep calling Nissan. I bet almost every chin has a scrape.
Read thru the warranty for the Nismo ( http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...2007_N_WIB.pdf ) and I can't find a thing that would void the warranty, but I'm sure they can find something. Can't really find anything in Owner's Manuel either. Take the manuels to the dealership and ask exactly what part(s) of the manuel allow them to void the warranty work.

I'll make sure I ask my dealership how they are covering it. Oh, read page two of the warranty booklet.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
SHIROZE

Ok - All Repaired. The tech, John, took off the shroud underneath. He and the service tech, Bryan, looked at what happened. The bump on the inner part of the chin was very visable near the air guides. John did say, as was mentioned in a previous post, that it may have been caused by or enhanced by hitting the chin on speed pumps etc. However, with few marks underneath there wasn't a real issue. So the three of us agreed that trimming the guides was probably the quickest - cleanest option with a re-work of the plastic on the chin. So John trimmed about a half inch off of the plastic guide on each side. You can see in the two pictures. The trim is on the side where you see the bolt clips. On the left pic, if you look close and follow the character line of the air guide to the left - you will see a small white mark on the black plastic. That is the bump that turns into the rip. Notice on the left side of the guide, the edge is somewhat rough. This is after the trim. Once this was done, the paint restoration guy, Mala, hit the bump with a heat welder (? - didn't see) to melt the plastic back down in the grove. It was then sanded after it cooled, primed, painted, and clear coated. Looks very nice and Mala even touched a couple a chips in the hood complimentary. Total work time was about a hour and a half. This was all covered by the dealer as warranty work. This is the second Nismo that he has reworked.

I asked Mala what he would do if the bump was an inch or two rip. He said he would stitch or staple the two sides of the rip together to add strength. The us the heat welder to melt the plastic together and follow the same procedure as above.

Hope this helps. Ask any question for clarification.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Nissan is buying me a new bumper-1-rght-side-trim.jpg   Nissan is buying me a new bumper-2-left-side-trim.jpg   Nissan is buying me a new bumper-3-heat-weld-and-sand.jpg   Nissan is buying me a new bumper-5-paint.jpg   Nissan is buying me a new bumper-6-clear-and-blend.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Eric_P

Just got my car back from the bodyshop. The dealer is an Autonation dealer in Denver. I bought an Xterra from this dealer, but not the Z since they didn't have any. They sent me to a competitor that had my car. The Z is also my third Nissan purchased in 8 years.

They completely replaced the front bumper, lower chin, reflectors & emblem. And they listened and did not reinstall the license plate holder. The paint match is better than the factory match. I have fabbed up a bracket using the tow hook hole. Found a 2 in boly to fit & drilled out the center & threaded it. Used two long bolt with a coupler to hold the plate in place. I recycled the Xterras from plate holder in this build. I figured I better put the plate on since it is required here and they are stepping up enforcement in a revenue generating campaign.

I will try to post picture.

The old bumper is going to Nissan. I begged to keep it so I could use it for track days, bet they wouldn't let me.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Eric_P

When I turned the car over, the bumper had a nice mark in it from hiting a cone @ ~80 mph.

Now to let the paint cure and get a clear bra installed.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:26 PM
08 nismo 1475

i have a lightly damaged 08 nismo factory front bumper full bumper for sale for $700 full front bumper and lower bumper and under air dam all factory parts. can send pictures if interested bumper is factory ppw and gray. email at G69chevy@yahoo.com thanks david
Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 PM
ODEHBOY

for the last 2 months I have been talking to Nissan on replacing this to me, Even had the warranty manager for nissan come out and look and my car. first thing he looked at was the bottom of my bumper. there was one little scrape, and he said, I cause it.. BS. And he also said it's not a big enough issue, because nissan doesn't have it in their system.

Well how could it be a big enough issue if Nismo's were a limited production car? it's not like there's 10k nismos out there. godamn that pissed me off
Old 09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
bena1916

^Join the club about being pissed off at Nissan.

I'm going to try this Nissan warranty process one more time just for fun but I have little hope. Really is a shame though, as I really like the car but this annoys me every time I wash the darn thing.

So how many of us have shaved the air guides to stop the problem from happening because they were actually touching the bumper?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
ODEHBOY

The lady did tell me tho, that if we get enough people to call in and complain about it, they can have all the Nismo's warrantied. I wish we can get a Sticky and have all the nismo owners complain.

Here is the lady i talked to and her number. Head of the Warranty Department
1-866-799-1690 EXT.1662 Her name is Kayla.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 PM
bena1916

So after going through the warranty process with Nissan again--no love for me. I was told from a regional rep that once a warranty issue is resolved (e.g. closed in my case without repair) they will not change the decision.

I think I'll do some research and see if I can take them to small claims court in Colorado for the repair to the bumper because of an obvious design flaw. If I can maybe they'll realize it's cheaper just to deal with me instead. Would be a good civics lesson for my 11 year old in any event if I go through the process.

Last edited by bena1916; 10-08-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 PM
SHIROZE

So after going through the warranty process with Nissan again--no love for me. I was told from a regional rep that once a warranty issue is resolved (e.g. closed in my case without repair) they will not change the decision.

I think I'll do some research and see if I can take them to small claims court in Colorado for the repair to the bumper because of an obvious design flaw. If I can maybe they'll realize it's cheaper just to deal with me instead. Would be a good civics lesson for my 11 year old in any event if I go through the process.
It would be interesting to enter into evidence that other representatives of Nissan, there dealers, have either repaired or replaced the part. With pictures, explinations, and heck we might just send you copies of repair receipts just to help you screw with them. You could depose other Nissan owners and maybe Nissan dealer personnel. I sure a lot of us would luv to help with the challenge
Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 AM
tioga

I noticed last summer i had a crack there too and had no idea why. Now it makes sense