Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

KingBaby's Nissan Nismo #0191 'Lin'da'

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's your new CAI's going? Thinking of Stillen Gen 3's? How are the injen's?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Nismo1534

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcee91
How's your new CAI's going? Thinking of Stillen Gen 3's? How are the injen's?
Injen's R&D is WAY better than Stillen's. I have had both versions on my car and I can tell you that Stillen's design sucks. Just look at the install instructions for both and compare. Also, the black tubing option for the Injens looks way classier compared to the chrome Stillens.

On a side note - I am also running Injen's hydroshields, which are absolutely amazing. I have run the intakes for a few thousand miles and the filters still look brand new. No more worrying about dirt and debris getting wedged between the fins of the filter. This is especially true for the Nismo, where the bottom of the filters are directly exposed to the outside elements. My Stillen filters got really, really dirty pretty fast and took a long time clean, when I was not utilizing the hydroshields. Plus, they are pretty damn good at repelling water for peace of mind.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo1534
Injen's R&D is WAY better than Stillen's. I have had both versions on my car and I can tell you that Stillen's design sucks. Just look at the install instructions for both and compare. Also, the black tubing option for the Injens looks way classier compared to the chrome Stillens.

On a side note - I am also running Injen's hydroshields, which are absolutely amazing. I have run the intakes for a few thousand miles and the filters still look brand new. No more worrying about dirt and debris getting wedged between the fins of the filter. This is especially true for the Nismo, where the bottom of the filters are directly exposed to the outside elements. My Stillen filters got really, really dirty pretty fast and took a long time clean, when I was not utilizing the hydroshields. Plus, they are pretty damn good at repelling water for peace of mind.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Kcee91

Cool, I've heard great reviews from both the Stillen 3's and the Injen's. I'm going to keep searching, but by the looks of it, I might go Injen!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
brandon3434

I like my stillens...They made some good power! I like the injens tho too...They look very similar! I wouldn't go as far as saying Injen's R&D is WAY better Stillens...I'd say they both are great products, both make a good amount of power. (They're def the two best intakes out there for the HR in my opinion.)
Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Kcee91

Originally Posted by brandon3434
I like my stillens...They made some good power! I like the injens tho too...They look very similar! I wouldn't go as far as saying Injen's R&D is WAY better Stillens...I'd say they both are great products, both make a good amount of power. (They're def the two best intakes out there for the HR in my opinion.)
@King and Brandon: Do you have any dyno chart videos or pics? Just wondering because CAI's is going to be the next mod.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:57 PM
brandon3434

No, I personally do not. Either way, they are both great!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Agreed they both will pull in higher density air which is always a plus!

From using my scan gauge I've noticed a 1-2 degree difference at idle and a 3-4 degree difference at speed...

This is just from memory so you can disregard it as hogwash!

I haven't driven my car in like 5 days...

Last edited by KingBaby; 04-11-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Nismo1534

With the Stillen intakes, the entire system is secured only by the throttle-body and a small strap that you have to somehow mount by drilling some holes and getting really clever. The straps only hold the intakes so well, and the intake tubes can easily move around. The system did not feel securely mounted at all. Also, you have to cut the horn wires, extend them, and, once again, get clever with where to mount them. I am very **** with mods and this was very annoying. Plus you only get three short pages of instructions and are left winging a lot of the install. The chrome tubing is VERY EASY to scratch and shows all defects. To be honest, it sort of looks cheap.

The Injen intakes, on the other hand, come with a lot more accessories to make the installation great! This includes a custom horn bracket to mount in the stock location (no cutting and extending wires) and a nice bracket that attaches right before the filters that you bolt to the top part of your bumper where those plastic clips hold your bumper on (see illustrations below). Then you get seven full pages of instructions to help you along the way. The 90 degree rubber tubing that passes through the core support is also a great addition, as it allows for better adjustment and flexes however you need it to. The black-colored tubing option is very sleek and looks more "professional" if that makes any sense.

And I cannot stress enough how awesome it is utilizing the Hydrofilters to keep water and debris out of the actual filters. I'll never go back to an exposed filter.

Compare what comes with each kit:

Name:  Stillen.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  Injen-1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  52.8 KB

Some installed shots (Note the mounting differences):

(Stillen)
Name:  StillenInstalled-1.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  63.4 KB

(Injen)
Name:  InjenInstalled-1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  53.7 KB

My personal installs:

(Stillen)
Name:  IMG_1429.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  58.2 KB

(Injen)
Name:  1After.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  2After.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  58.7 KB

Hydroshield:

Name:  Hydroshield.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  41.1 KB

Last edited by Nismo1534; 04-12-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Kcee91

With the Stillen intakes, the entire system is secured only by the throttle-body and a small strap that you have to somehow mount by drilling some holes and getting really clever. The straps only hold the intakes so well, and the intake tubes can easily move around. The system did not feel securely mounted at all. Also, you have to cut the horn wires, extend them, and, once again, get clever with where to mount them. I am very **** with mods and this was very annoying. Plus you only get a few pages of instructions and are left winging a lot of the install. The chrome tubing is VERY EASY to scratch and shows all defects. To be honest, it sort of looks cheap.

The Injen intakes, on the other hand, come with a lot more accessories to make the installation great! This includes a custom horn bracket to mount in the stock location (no cutting and extending wires) and a nice bracket that attaches right before the filters that you bolt to the top part of your bumper where those plastic clips hold your bumper on (see illustrations below). Then you get 16+ pages of instructions to help you along the way. The 90 degree rubber tubing that passes through the core support is also a great addition, as it allows for better adjustment and flexes however you need it to. The black-colored tubing option is very sleek and looks more "professional" if that makes any sense.

And I cannot stress enough how awesome it is utilizing the Hydrofilters to keep water and debris out of the actual filters. I'll never go back to an exposed filter.

Compare what comes with each kit:

Some installed shots (Note the mounting differences):

(Stillen)

(Injen)

My personal installs:

(Stillen)

(Injen)

Hydroshield:

Thanks for the info brother! Also, I found out why our transmission and flywheel sound really noisy along with the fly wheel chatter we have been encountering. The fact is that it is a Nismo and an informant told me that our cars have an upgraded flywheel and pressure plate from the factory. Just wanted to put that out there.

Last edited by Kcee91; 04-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes me want to buy the injens now!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Kcee91

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
Makes me want to buy the injens now!
+1 on the Injen's!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Nismo1534

Hey, sorry everyone for the intense thread jack!! KingBaby - Let me know if you want me to delete all intake post(s). I made the appropriate thread in the VQ35HR section

Last edited by Nismo1534; 04-12-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
brandon3434

Originally Posted by Kcee91
Thanks for the info brother! Also, I found out why our transmission and flywheel sound really noisy along with the fly wheel chatter we have been encountering. The fact is that it is a Nismo and an informant told me that our cars have an upgraded flywheel and pressure plate from the factory. Just wanted to put that out there.
Whoever told you that information is wrong sadly...the nismo transmission is exactly the same as any HR transmission...the simple reasoning is that the stock flywheel is light which is the reasoning behind the chatter/noise...so he is right about that much. but yea our flywheels are the same as the other HR z's...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Hey, sorry everyone for the intense thread jack!! KingBaby - Let me know if you want me to delete all intake post(s). I made the appropriate thread in the VQ35HR section
You can leave it here man great info and pics!

Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Kcee91

Whoever told you that information is wrong sadly...the nismo transmission is exactly the same as any HR transmission...the simple reasoning is that the stock flywheel is light which is the reasoning behind the chatter/noise...so he is right about that much. but yea our flywheels are the same as the other HR z's...
I was hoping we got an upgrade at the factory! grrr. lol
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Lakeside

Injen>Stillen

I personally would save CAI's for the 2nd to last NA Mod. Right before an UpRev tune!

Save your money for HFC's or Test pipes. Biggest bang for the buck mod. Followed by an exhaust system. The intakes are more for looks IMHO! K&N drop-ins with the stock airbox's is quite functional. I went that route for awhile. It's really not worth the 3-5 whp gain that you get from the CAI's IMHO. It's more show, then go!..

Zim
Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, never knew that about the Stillen and Injen intakes. I thought about getting an intake for a bit. Now I'm focusing on saving up for the Nismo exhaust. Just love the sound.

KingBaby, so what's next for Lin'da?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM
brandon3434

Hmmm, so anyone know the power differences between the stillen vs injens? I had to zip tie my stillens to get them to stop rattling in like 6 spots, which was annoying...other than that, they fit fine I guess...and make some decent power for intakes...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Nismo1534

Hmmm, so anyone know the power differences between the stillen vs injens? I had to zip tie my stillens to get them to stop rattling in like 6 spots, which was annoying...other than that, they fit fine I guess...and make some decent power for intakes...
They are tubes with filters on the ends - they make the same power, trust me on this. I ran them both and they were so similar, my tune did not even show a difference.

Quick Reply: KingBaby's Nissan Nismo #0191 'Lin'da'