Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

The Fujitsubo Legalis-R: An OEM Poser for the Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Nismo1534

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Fujitsubo Legalis-R: An OEM Poser for the Nismo

I spent many hours researching the 'perfect' aftermarket exhaust for the Nismo: One that resembled the OEM muffler, in both looks and sound, but also added the additional performance advantage. Therefore, this thread targets anyone who wants to keep their modding clean without the unwanted attention of a loud or wild-looking muffler (or lack-thereof). Such a task was not easy, as there always seems to be something that makes an aftermarket exhaust stand out or not match correctly. The hardest problem with the Nismo is finding exhaust tips that are the same dimensions (4.5in wide x 6.5in long) as the stock ones. The Motordyne VQ was a great candidate, but was discontinued before I could make the purchase. Enter the Fujitsubo Legalis-R. It's basically a copy of the Nismo cat-back with larger, 3in piping and non-rolled tips. This exhaust is also identical to the Nismo S-Tune exhaust, but with larger tips and a different internal muffler design. Everything from the muffler and tip dimensions to the location of the resonator seem to match up very well with the OEM exhaust. With everything so similar, it even sounds the same. The main difference is the muffler positioning; it hangs lower. I can also feel a slight bit of added pickup in the higher RPM range. All-in-all it's mission complete: An OEM-styled aftermarket exhaust that looks and sounds like stock, but is more free-flowing.

NOTE: I would give fitment a 9 out of 10 on the Nismo, as the muffler hangs lower than the stock one. This makes the muffler come into slight contact with the top part of the diffuser (just like the HKS does), adding the potential to melt it. This upper plastic piece could either be trimmed (1/4in) or simply removed. The contact is so slight, I am just going to run it as is, without modification, and see what happens.

ALSO: This exhaust is QUIET. It almost seems quieter than the stock Nismo exhaust. I have run this system with ART test pipes and Berk hi-flow cats and it still is as quiet as stock. If you are purchasing a cat-back for an increase in sound, this is not the exhaust for you.

UPDATE: It was brought to my attention that Fujitsubo makes an exhaust designed specifically for the Nismo (identical to stock, with larger 3in piping). This is what should have come on our cars before they shipped them over here! The exhaust is a Japan-only piece, but bulletproofautomotive.com can have it shipped to the US and to your doorstep for the low price of $2154 View it here.

UPDATE2: The muffler has made notch marks where it comes in contact with the upper plastic part of the diffuser. This plastic part has also marred the chrome surface of the muffler where it comes into contact. This is very, very minimal and is not noticed unless you are specifically looking for it.

UPDATE3: I dynoed the car and all the redlining got the exhaust tips much hotter than normal driving temperatures (car is not moving so no wind to help cool them down either). They were hot enough to slightly melt the upper plastic part of the diffuser. It was a very small 1-inch spot that melted, but it did nonetheless. I'll will need to temporarily wrap them with exhaust wrap when I go for my tune.

Name:  DSCN0839.jpg
Views: 2719
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0833.jpg
Views: 2649
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0834.jpg
Views: 3762
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0836.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0837.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0838.jpg
Views: 3052
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0829.jpg
Views: 2701
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0832.jpg
Views: 2659
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0840.jpg
Views: 2690
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0842.jpg
Views: 3870
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0843.jpg
Views: 2751
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0848.jpg
Views: 2695
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0858.jpg
Views: 2770
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0852.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0853.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  85.6 KB

Stock
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DoEGpkoR42M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DoEGpkoR42M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fujitsubo (no other mods)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFj5x6LGScM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFj5x6LGScM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fujitsubo is the only mod

Name:  RealDynoNumbers.jpg
Views: 2480
Size:  13.0 KB

Name:  RealDyno.jpg
Views: 2583
Size:  34.9 KB

Last edited by Nismo1534; 02-02-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

nice nice man

I too wanna keep things clean and low key yet increase function...
Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
pacfwu

Nice. Even though it hangs low, it's not an eyesore like some of them with the OEM layout.

Too bad they don't make the titanium version etched with the Z emblem and squares anymore. Would've liked to have had one of those on s-tune back in the day.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:21 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Isn't Fujitsubo the actual manufacturer of the Nismo exhaust?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
pacfwu

^
The S-tune exhaust, not the factory model.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Ahhh, that's right. I wouldn't doubt that they're all not made from the same molds though.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Lakeside

The replacement Nismo mufflers are boxed and produced by HKS!

I find it odd that you would spend that kind of money on a nock off exhaust system that you believe to provide gains. (I assume they haven't been provided yet)

If your goal was to retain the stock look and produce gains all you had to do is upgrade your mid-pipe and install some HFC's and you would be where your at now! Sure you could upgrade the Y-pipe to, but the stock Y-pipe isn't all that bad really.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I second that. You spent 1k on an exhaust that produces minimal gains at best, and its as quiet as stock....
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice comparison. What is the stock weight vs. Fujitsubo?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Nismo1534

Originally Posted by Lakeside

I find it odd that you would spend that kind of money on a nock off exhaust system that you believe to provide gains. (I assume they haven't been provided yet)

If your goal was to retain the stock look and produce gains all you had to do is upgrade your mid-pipe and install some HFC's and you would be where your at now! Sure you could upgrade the Y-pipe to, but the stock Y-pipe isn't all that bad really.
Originally Posted by stevehl
^^ I second that. You spent 1k on an exhaust that produces minimal gains at best, and its as quiet as stock....
Huh, guess I was not clear enough (sorry for the confusion). In my initial post I actually stated that this would not be an ideal purchase if you were simply buying the cat-back and leaving it at that. For me, on the other hand, Motordyne ART and XYZ pipes, along with a tune, are on the way . The cat-back is simply the finishing touch and will obviously get louder after the install of said pieces. And no, Fujitsubo is not a knock-off manufacturer.

Last edited by Nismo1534; 08-10-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

To call a Fuji a "knock off" is retarded first off... Fuji makes factory exhausts for numerous car companies. Not to mention its pretty expensive.. I have both the Y-pipe and catback. I wouldve probably gotten something different or even kept the original exhaust but I love my Fuji.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:04 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I bumped another thread for this question

but does any one make a stock mid-pipe without the resonate part?

Oct 15 bonus time!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:34 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the side-by-side photos. I see not appreciable difference.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Fujitsubo makes the Nismo S-tune exhaust (Nismo Z's muffler is made by HKS), so it's not really a knock-off.

BTW, how can you "upgrade" the stock midpipe? The best you can do to it is just cut out the resonator or you can custom make your own with a larger pipe diameter. At that point, it'd be dumb to retain the stock muffler which would cause a bottleneck.

As for the stock y-pipe, if you have test pipes or high flow cats, this is another area (2 inlets, actually) where you'd create a bottleneck. Again, it makes no sense to leave this alone when you're "upgrading" everything else.

Design isn't everything, as you seem to be suggesting. If it doesn't even have matching diameter, it's not going to perform as it should. There's a reason why collectors and reducers exist (think venturi effect). You can see this where your 2 inlets merge on the y-pipe, as an example.
Originally Posted by KingBaby
I bumped another thread for this question

but does any one make a stock mid-pipe without the resonate part?

Oct 15 bonus time!
No, you have to go to a local shop for them to cut it off and weld you in a straight pipe in its place.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Lakeside

One day while surfing I came across an aftermarket Mid pipe without a resonator. Basically just a straight pipe. No restriction. I was tempted to buy it but went a differant route. I once considered leaving the stock nismo muffler and upgrading the mid pipe, Y-pipe & installing HFC's.

Instead I went dual and haven't regretted it.

Lately I am considering trying another system which would be the AMUSE R1 titan titanium system. http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5502#

In hopes to drop some weight and recover alittle TQ but if not, I wouldn't be to concerned...

Zim
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM
brandon3434

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I actually like it better hanging a bit lower than OEM, looks and sounds great man!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Nismo1534

Originally Posted by brandon3434
Wow, I actually like it better hanging a bit lower than OEM, looks and sounds great man!
My thoughts exactly! Fills in the bumper better. I am anxious to add the ART and XYZ pipes and see whow it affects the sound.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Lately I am considering trying another system which would be the AMUSE R1 titan titanium system. http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5502#

That exhuast is pure sex...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 AM
08panna

the reason i suggested that he should get the exhaust was my experience and i think he was looking for the same thing. i wanted something that was decently loud, while being able to cruise on the highway and not hear it. I have the same fuji with resonated test pipes and i had the resonator in the midpipe taken out. this combo really livens up and is sharp and loud when you really put your foot into it, yet on the highway at 74 mph, you can BARELY hear it. I havent had much experience with other Z exhausts but i absolutely love the look and sound of mine. Glad you picked it up! not a whole lot of em out there
Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Nismo1534

Damn, if Motordyne would ever get their XYZ pipes finished, maybe I could make some comparison videos! I've been waiting for over six weeks =(

Quick Reply: The Fujitsubo Legalis-R: An OEM Poser for the Nismo