Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Making the OEM exhaust a bit meaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:15 PM
fhumphrey04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the OEM exhaust a bit meaner

Hey guys,

Normally I dont post a ton around here and I just research info about the Z, but I need a little input with the nismo. Just recently I made the decision to not go FI with this car, its far too expensive to justify and I probably won't have this thing forever, so I decided to just go with wheels, a suspension, and a few other small mods.

I'd really like to retain the factory Nismo exhaust, but I want it to get about 20% louder with maybe a bit of midrange gain if anything at all. Originally I thought a set of HFCs would work perfect, but I keep reading about them cracking and adding tons of rasp, plus dealing with the CEL is not an option for me. I already have nismo intakes on it, which helped a bit with the sound and makes the car feel more fun. Is there another option out there besides going with a different exhaust?
Old 11-19-2011, 05:21 PM
scoobyrex247

is your exhaust oem nissan or is it the Nismo S-tune?
Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 PM
fhumphrey04

Its whatever came on the Nismo Z with the huge tips.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not certain why you hid this in the NISMO forum. Exhaust is exhaust. There are a dozen threads in the exhaust forum to make your NISMO sound mean.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 PM
fhumphrey04

I put it in here because there's hardly anyone with our exhausts since most people get the other nismo exhaust.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Sounds like you have the OEM Nismo exhaust on a Nismo Z, swap out to a Nismo S tune exhuast.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

OR

Now this is just from my experience. You can take it or leave it. Remove the mid-pipe resonator OR since you might want to return to stock. Have a muffler shop make you a new one (mid-pipe) without a resonator i.e. straight pipe...

This will give you what you want for $100-$150 depending on labor...
Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done this and how does it sound...

Originally Posted by KingBaby
OR

Now this is just from my experience. You can take it or leave it. Remove the mid-pipe resonator OR since you might want to return to stock. Have a muffler shop make you a new one (mid-pipe) without a resonator i.e. straight pipe...

This will give you what you want for $100-$150 depending on labor...
Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 PM
User 42426

^^You can prob search that up. It probably sounds a bit raspy, iono, just a guess since there is no resonator. Your only choices are that, hfc, art pipes, or the washer method haha. Ive only heard of hfc cracking from mating hfc with the nismo y pipe. Not sure if the nismo comes with the nismo y pipe, or if its just the nismo s tune....
Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Does sound a bit raspy upon start up, everything except motordyne rasp alittle bit. My current setup is raspy on start up, after that it's music!

I say just go get an estimate from a exhaust shop...no harm from a bolt on straight pipe you can always go back to stock.

When I did have this setup it was great! Sounded a little meaner and wasn't crazy! I stated this in another thread you can't add anything to this setup i.e. test pipes cause it then sounds horrible.

Also the Nismo s-tune has a smaller resonator and a bigger diameter 3" hence better performance and tone!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:35 AM
JCITY
Banned

Thumbs up ART pipes

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
Hey guys,

Normally I dont post a ton around here and I just research info about the Z, but I need a little input with the nismo. Just recently I made the decision to not go FI with this car, its far too expensive to justify and I probably won't have this thing forever, so I decided to just go with wheels, a suspension, and a few other small mods.

I'd really like to retain the factory Nismo exhaust, but I want it to get about 20% louder with maybe a bit of midrange gain if anything at all. Originally I thought a set of HFCs would work perfect, but I keep reading about them cracking and adding tons of rasp, plus dealing with the CEL is not an option for me. I already have nismo intakes on it, which helped a bit with the sound and makes the car feel more fun. Is there another option out there besides going with a different exhaust?
Whats your budget?
I'm running a Nismo s-tune exhaust with ART pipes.The results after I added the ART pipes were what you are looking to accomplish.The ARTS are not cheap.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:05 AM
User 42426

^^How much louder is it with the art pipes? And did it change the tone at all before and after?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 AM
fhumphrey04

Originally Posted by KingBaby
OR

This will give you what you want for $100-$150
depending on labor...
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thanks man! I'll get researching it a little bit and look at what it's going to take, but for that much money itd be worth a shot. If the car is a bit raspy at startup thats perfectly fine, I was used to it in my old M3

As for those who mentioned the s tuned exhaust- im really not looking to go that route because it doesn't look as nice as the oem exhaust to me. It does sound great though, no doubt about that!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 AM
T-Stan

I was in the same boat, so i just swapped out the muffler for a dual magnaflow muffler. Sounds great, no rasp. I am very happy with it.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:45 PM
JCITY
Banned

Originally Posted by stevehl
^^How much louder is it with the art pipes? And did it change the tone at all before and after?
It is louder...maybe by a third.The tone is more of a snarl rather than the
softer tone from the s-tune.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
JCITY
Banned

Question ??

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thanks man! I'll get researching it a little bit and look at what it's going to take, but for that much money itd be worth a shot. If the car is a bit raspy at startup thats perfectly fine, I was used to it in my old M3

As for those who mentioned the s tuned exhaust- im really not looking to go that route because it doesn't look as nice as the oem exhaust to me. It does sound great though, no doubt about that!
??The S-tune looks almost the same as the OEM.The tips are slanted up a bit and are about the same diameter(OEM tips cover the inside pipe.the s-tune pipe diameters are larger throughout).S-TUNE HAS NISMO ETCHED ON THE SIDES.You may want to go the heap route as the s-tune runs around $1,300+.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if you've tried it, but the stock muffler polishes up amazingly!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:59 PM
fhumphrey04

Originally Posted by JCITY
??The S-tune looks almost the same as the OEM.The tips are slanted up a bit and are about the same diameter(OEM tips cover the inside pipe.the s-tune pipe diameters are larger throughout).S-TUNE HAS NISMO ETCHED ON THE SIDES.You may want to go the heap route as the s-tune runs around $1,300+.
It sure looks a little smaller:

But besides that, I'm not dumping $1.3k on a muffler for this car, I'd just as well put that money towards something that will deliver a very tangible difference, like FI.

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
Not sure if you've tried it, but the stock muffler polishes up amazingly!
That's an idea as well! Have you done this or are there pictures of setups with it? I'd imagine it might eventually cloud up with time and/or get a bit aged from all the debris from roads.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM
UrineDanger

Off topic question here, I got rear-ended like 2 weeks ago as some know, finally got a check to get it fixed. Turns out they're going to replace my exhaust also, how likely is it that I will be able to get an aftermarket exhaust, or would that even be possible. I'm going to talk to the shop about it tomorrow. Insight is appreciated thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:35 PM
fhumphrey04

I am sure if you talk to the shop and pay the difference between an aftermarket exhaust they won't care.

Quick Reply: Making the OEM exhaust a bit meaner