Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

utec

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006 | 04:33 PM
dovla

Spare Solenoid ON above RPM (x100)
Spare Solenoid ON above TPS (%)
Spare Solenoid OFF above RPM (x100)

But if UTEC Boost Control can work with N2O solenoid(s) that would be awesome.

Anyone know if or how does MAP changes (range) while on N2O, and where exactly should MAP sensor be installed?
Old 02-18-2006 | 04:57 PM
done12many2

The Nitrous Express Maximizer made for NX by FJO controlls the fuel and nitrous soleniod via a separate solenoid driver unit that pulsates the fuel and nitrous sonenoids at a predesignated frequency. It can control a wide variety of different brand solenoids provided you change the frequency on the Maximizers setup.

In order for the UTEC to emulate what the Maximizer does, the solenoid output is going to have to be pretty stout. The seperate solenoid driver on the Maximizer setup draws up to 50 or 60 amps of current. The act of pulsating the solenoid open and closed in a very rapid and controlled manner will definitely be a trick for the UTEC.

That would be really great if there is a way for the UTEC to control this, as nitrous control and tuning would all be handled in one package!

As soon as my pistons and rods get in, we are rebuilding my motor with higher compression and I am going to now need something to pull timing. Obviously timing with nitrous use is going to become a little more crucial than it is now. The Maximizer is setup to output a signal to a seperate unit to begin pulling timing when you fire the nitrous. I just have to figure out which unit I want to handle this. Any recommendations? I think something that is capable of tuning would be a little more advantageous than just using the Safeguard unit. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 02-18-2006 | 08:53 PM
dovla

Disclaimer – I have no N2O

$90 or $130 FJO high-current driver (up to 40 amps) – I suppose, would still be used, Maximizer or not, that is if UTEC Boost Control output can control FJO solenoid driver.
Old 02-21-2006 | 11:29 AM
AZ350Z

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I have 5 on the shelf, I could have got you one next day aired..lol
I think it just turns on or off a spare selenoid for the N20, not really progressive..Ill check with Jermaine on Monday..
Any word on this?
Old 02-22-2006 | 02:47 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Mine comes in sometime this week. Ill have results this weekend I hope, weather permiting.
Old 02-28-2006 | 09:11 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost
Premier Member

Subscribing - Good read guys!!! Very interested in whether the UTEC can do both. The Maximizer is a badass piece of equipment though....right 12many? haha!
Old 02-28-2006 | 10:17 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

got mine today, i will start playing with it soon, it was put in a guys car who didnt like it, he sold it in 3 days, so i bought it from him, its tuned NA for similar mods,

off to the dyno i will post my results!!

-jeremy-
Old 02-28-2006 | 07:30 PM
done12many2

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
got mine today, i will start playing with it soon, it was put in a guys car who didnt like it, he sold it in 3 days, so i bought it from him, its tuned NA for similar mods,

off to the dyno i will post my results!!

-jeremy-
Don't even bother putting it in. It's just a waste of time. Just sell it to me!!
Old 03-01-2006 | 04:02 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

just pluggin it in with the settings that my friend tuned for his car with similar mods, i can tell a nice difference. the guy tuning his got somewhere around 17 peak horse power with it.

i have a couple more mods than him so its not perfect for my car..... yet!!

this will be fun, cant wait to get off work today
Old 03-01-2006 | 12:25 PM
Nowell
National Z Club

Just got my utec today also! This weekend the stack of mods on my living room floor go in, and the utec to adjust it all! Should be able to put my bottles in this weekend too!
Old 03-01-2006 | 12:39 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Nowell
Just got my utec today also! This weekend the stack of mods on my living room floor go in, and the utec to adjust it all! Should be able to put my bottles in this weekend too!

Don't you love it when you go from slow to Whoa!?
Old 03-01-2006 | 02:27 PM
titanjc

audiblemayhem, be sure to give us an update! ASAP!
Old 03-01-2006 | 05:29 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

well when i got home, i tried to take my laptop out to the car and hook it up, i tried and tried and couldnt get hyperterminal program to figure out the USB connection. i wanted to set some of the parameters for the solenoid on/off and the tps setting, as well as making sure my rev limiter is safe from where this other guy tuned it for his car....

i didnt have a lot of time though, there is actually a plug where you can hook a 9v (square battery) into it and power it up not in the car. much easier if you have it in your house to play with it. i will have more time tomorrow night but my roommate bought a house and we were moving him out tonight.... i will keep updating as i learn so i might be able to help someone out in the same position

if anyone is interested more in the UTEC go to the turboxs website and download the user manual and read it, lots of cool stuff in there

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 03-01-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2006 | 03:17 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Default I Love My Utec!!!

i love it, it is so perfect for nitrous, it now controls my solenoid, i have retarded the timing on my nitrous map, there is knock safety function that retards the timing until it stops knocking, i have the solenoid set for 100% TPS, on over 3000 rpms, off at 7000 rpms, and rev limiter at 7200

it has really cool datalogging in real time to record everything and also has a real time dashboard function that shows all your important stats

once you have it all figured out it is the greatest thing

i should be back to the track here soon and try to lay down some really good NA and N20 runs, i need 11's soon
Old 03-07-2006 | 06:43 AM
theking

I was helping Audiblemayhem, so I figured I would add my .02. The UTEC is just how I remember it for the WRX. Easy to navigate(once you commit the keystrokes to memory), has seamless switchover and with the solenoid output can do alot of different things. Another thing, the solenoid uses a logic setup where the air temp, coolant temp, etc. has to be met. Make sure it is on the AND logic. If not only one of the parameters has to be met and that isn't so safe. Something tells me that Jeremy and I will be going to the track on Friday and a 11 sec timeslip will be in hand.

I have a Emanage Ultimate and if I weren't selling the car I would have a UTEC in it.
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:07 AM
AZ350Z

Originally Posted by theking
I was helping Audiblemayhem, so I figured I would add my .02. The UTEC is just how I remember it for the WRX. Easy to navigate(once you commit the keystrokes to memory), has seamless switchover and with the solenoid output can do alot of different things. Another thing, the solenoid uses a logic setup where the air temp, coolant temp, etc. has to be met. Make sure it is on the AND logic. If not only one of the parameters has to be met and that isn't so safe. Something tells me that Jeremy and I will be going to the track on Friday and a 11 sec timeslip will be in hand.

I have a Emanage Ultimate and if I weren't selling the car I would have a UTEC in it.
Thanks for the info...I am doing a very similar setup. Any pics or additional install/tuning info you guys can provide would be appreciated. Here in AZ we dont have anyone familiar with the UTEC and I want to learn all I can.
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:09 AM
BlackTuner

Hello Guys,

This is my first time seeing this post. As far as the progressive nitrous control capability. The UTEC can use up to a 4 amp load for progressive nitrous control our Engineer re-spec'd it. Unfortunately the typical nitrous solenoid pull about 7-8 amps. So we recommend running the nitrous in simple on/off fashion. We have the circuitry to handle the progressive control, we will just need to put them into production and it will be very inexpensive to add to your UTEC purchase. I Promise .
s knock safety function that retards the timing until it stops knocking
While this is a great feature, I would recommend that you don not allow the car to knock if you can help it. The truth is that the car has to knock for it to react, that one knock event can sometimes be enough to hurt the motor.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:25 AM
sabrefanpc

would the utec interact with/replace the tps and window switch?

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:36 AM
theking

It depends. You could have it do either. Basically put the output of the solenoid(it throws a ground signal) to the tps switch and then the window switch and you could have all of it working. Since the utec uses a logic(ex:90% tps, Rpm start, rpm end) there is no real need to use the aftermarket window switch or manual tps switch since the utec has both of these in the logic setup.
Originally Posted by sabrefanpc
would the utec interact with/replace the tps and window switch?

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 03-07-2006 | 10:03 AM
Acree

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
Hello Guys,

This is my first time seeing this post. As far as the progressive nitrous control capability. The UTEC can use up to a 4 amp load for progressive nitrous control our Engineer re-spec'd it. Unfortunately the typical nitrous solenoid pull about 7-8 amps. So we recommend running the nitrous in simple on/off fashion. We have the circuitry to handle the progressive control, we will just need to put them into production and it will be very inexpensive to add to your UTEC purchase. I Promise .

While this is a great feature, I would recommend that you don not allow the car to knock if you can help it. The truth is that the car has to knock for it to react, that one knock event can sometimes be enough to hurt the motor.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com

Any clue about release date with this "revamped" progressive controller?

On another note, did I read something about the UTEC not being able to control CVTC or the timing advance on the cams in the upper rpm?

Quick Reply: utec