Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

NO2 on stock internals

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 01:16 PM
tbsday002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO2 on stock internals

Ive been to a few shops and have heard mixed opinions about NO2 on the z, what do you think about a 50 or 75 shot on stock internals
Old 04-28-2006, 01:19 PM
michaeljr6

that'll be fine, just make sure the installer knows what he's doing.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

N2O, Nitrous oxide, is very unpredictable and inconsistant.Heck half the time at these filling stations you dont know what your really getting..I have used it on my car and eventually blew a piston. With N2O its not "IF" you blow your motor up, its "WHEN" you blow your motor up..
This is what all my customers say " Oh, Im not gonna use it all the time, just once and a while" Then they wind up spending more money on bottle fills, where at $50 a bottle average, they could put that money towards a supercharger or single turbo...
In a nutshel, I personally would never reccomend Nitrous unless the customer was really specific that he wanted it...
Old 04-28-2006, 01:32 PM
BobbyRitz

Julian,

Would you agree that n2o is safer if UTEC controls it through the spare solenoid? That coupled with a conservative map with retarded timing, along with knock sensitivity turned up a little in UTEC seems fairly safe to me.

I've got an NX 100 shot kit that is going on next week.

EDIT: n2o isn't $5 per lb.

Last edited by BobbyRitz; 04-28-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am going to disagree even though i think you are cool as hell MRC. i think that a 75 wet shot on our car if used properly would last the lifetime of the car. that is saying that you dont use it a lot and have the correct setup. i know i am crazy and push the limits of my car. i have been through 7 or 8 bottles of N20 on my G35 sedan with a 100 shot. i have been through 7 or 8 bottles easily on my Z. i now have the utec retarding timing like you should and think that with the knock timing retard it is a much safer set up.

i think a 75 shot is safe on stock internals if done properly. i am running a 150 shot now for a while and think it is the most fun.

now understand that with nitrous, you have to have the bottle heated whenever you want to use it, this is a PITA because you will have to ride around with your bottle heater on every time you start your car. also nitrous varys according to pressure so that makes it very inconsistent. 850 psi might be 100 hp and 950 psi might be 150 hp. so you would have to keep the bottle at the exact same psi and thats impossible..

couple tips. make sure its a wet shot. make sure you put one step colder plugs in, make sure you have a wide open throttle switch and a window switch and HAVE FUN!!! you can easily run high 12 with a 75 shot on a stock car...
Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
Julian,

Would you agree that n2o is safer if UTEC controls it through the spare solenoid? That coupled with a conservative map with retarded timing, along with knock sensitivity turned up a little in UTEC seems fairly safe to me.

I've got an NX 100 shot kit that is going on next week.

EDIT: n2o isn't $5 per lb.
It is safer in that scenario, yes. However a really good reliable N2O set up,and Im not reffering to a ZEX kit with the controller box, but to a properly set up,tuned and jetted kit with accesories will run in the area of $1000 or so, plus install plus tune..Your into it for about $1800-2500 at that point, not to mention in NJ N2O is indeed $5 a lb on the average if not more....Im just saying a SC kit is only a few $$$$ more by the time you run the N2o for a year..
I am not saying nitrous should not be used, however I just am giving my opinion on the use of it. I personally like having the power there all the time and not filling up bottles, but N2O can be real fun, I do admit. I gues it comes down to whatever floats your boat.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:57 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

that sucks that your nitrous is that much. ours is under 3 dollars. about 2.70 a pound.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:16 AM
HoldThisForMe

What about this.....

I'm getting TT and was wondering about spool time...now this might be better for a ST than a TT but what a bout a 50 shot to help you get to spooling faster then once spooled cut the N2O off and let the Turbos do their job???? Sounds like it would be a killer setup for the ST guys and an OK thing for the TT guys.

Its definately possible, but would it be worth it???
Old 04-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by HoldThisForMe
What about this.....

I'm getting TT and was wondering about spool time...now this might be better for a ST than a TT but what a bout a 50 shot to help you get to spooling faster then once spooled cut the N2O off and let the Turbos do their job???? Sounds like it would be a killer setup for the ST guys and an OK thing for the TT guys.

Its definately possible, but would it be worth it???
You wont need N2O to spool up any turbo kit on the market right now...Maybe if you went with a single giant turbo.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:01 PM
theking

+1. Yeah saying this car has much lag with the turbo kits out is pretty funny. Even with a turbo(or two) this car has plenty of low end torque. If you went with something like a T78 then you might want nitrous for spoolup but with 3.5L and a large bore it still isn't real necessary.
Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
You wont need N2O to spool up any turbo kit on the market right now...Maybe if you went with a single giant turbo.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

damnit alan, i was going to say the same thing, if you are running a single T88 then i would throw a 100 shot outta the hole while it spooled.

with whats out there now, you wouldnt even have time to think about what you were going to do before you had full boost...
Old 04-29-2006, 07:01 PM
dovla

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
now understand that with nitrous, you have to have the bottle heated whenever you want to use it, this is a PITA because you will have to ride around with your bottle heater on every time you start your car. also nitrous varys according to pressure so that makes it very inconsistent. 850 psi might be 100 hp and 950 psi might be 150 hp. so you would have to keep the bottle at the exact same psi and thats impossible..
Are there any pressure regulators on the market that would hold steady pressure regardless of bottle pressure? Thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

well that is a tough question. it would be really hard for a regulator to lower the pressure of the bottle. they sell some that are "supposed" to lower the pressure but they just have a heatsink with a fan on them. i dont really think that would work well. most people turn on the air to lower the air temp and lower the bottle pressure. this works well but takes just a bit longer than you would like.

heating the bottle up and raising the pressure is easy. its the lowering part that is difficult..
Old 04-29-2006, 07:52 PM
jmcmorante

I had the n20 in my Z and was not happy with the results. Save up and go FI. Im FI now and man I wish I saved the money from all I spent on N2o accsrs.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

why are you not happy with the results. you must have had something installed wrong. my car is crazy fast...
Old 04-30-2006, 04:03 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

why are you not happy with the results. you must have had something installed wrong. my car is crazy fast...
My car was crazy fast on Juice also...To bad I broke a piston..
N2O on your piston is like a grown man with a 10lb sledgehammer hitting it dead on..
Old 04-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

oh i know, i have a good situation here. i dont ever want to blow my motor but my car just sits there all the time. i dont use nitrous a lot so i should be able to get it to last a while.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:58 AM
MySunset350Z

i have to agree. with other FI you get happier slowly as the car speeds up, but with nitrous its instant happyness. lol.

oh i know, i have a good situation here. i dont ever want to blow my motor but my car just sits there all the time. i dont use nitrous a lot so i should be able to get it to last a while.
how big of a shot? mods?

my best 60ft is a 1.70, but i never got anywhere near the 11's.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

i am running a NX 150 wet shot. utec tuned myself. i really only have pulleys, KnN, skunk2 spacer, test pipes . i gutted out some of the unnecessary stuff out of my car for the track. besides that it is really stock

1.63 and 1.65 are my two best 60s...
Old 04-30-2006, 10:29 PM
bacalhau16

so sunset 350z, with a 1.7 60', what did you run for a time. how big of a shot are u running?

i've been following audible's setup for a while. Its a really nice setup, and like i have already said, i will be following the same guidelines as his kit. I dont think that it will run me $2500 though. Thats a bit rediculous. i will be doing the labor myself, so i guess that where i will be saving the most money.

Quick Reply: NO2 on stock internals