Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Nitrous line plumbing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nitrous line plumbing...

Hey folks,

Where do you guys route the nitrous feed line to the engine? I don't want to make a hole in the firewall, but I couldn't find any spare holes with grommets in them. Am I not seeing correctly?

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

best place is under the car....by drilling a hole. Mine are ran inside the car which is not the safest place, but its all hidden.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
tenpenniesz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the nitrous line through the grommeted hole in the spare tire well and then zip tied the lines off following the driveshaft. I snaked the Nitrous line up through the engine bay, just to the rear of the wheel well (almost directly under the battery). Here is a link to a good install writeup. This is pretty much the same thing that I did.

http://www.rohan.sdsu.edu/~bentley/rookie.html

Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:31 AM
97supratt

I don't want to route it from the bottom of the vehicle because I want to mount the bottle right behind the drivers seat for easy access to open the bottle. I ran the line through the interior of the car already, and I found the big grommet for the ecu wiring harness. I just thought we might have a extra grommet that isn't being used.

I would hate to make a hole in the ecu grommet and maybe have a water leak because of it.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 AM
killerlexus
Banned for Scamming

behind the battery u will find a RUBBER sprout with the factory harness running through it. just unwrap the black tape, run your nitrous line and wires through the runner sprout, and then make sure u tape it back up good. and your done.you can run the nitrous line along the passenger side and in to the trunk. now go get a beer!
Attached Thumbnails Nitrous line plumbing...-dscn2602.jpg  
Old 10-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Kenk2
Professional

If you poke a hole in the grommet, just use a little black silicon to seal it back up..
Old 10-30-2006, 11:12 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by killerlexus
behind the battery u will find a RUBBER sprout with the factory harness running through it. just unwrap the black tape, run your nitrous line and wires through the runner sprout, and then make sure u tape it back up good. and your done.you can run the nitrous line along the passenger side and in to the trunk. now go get a beer!

Yeah that was the one I was referring to. Awesome thanks for the info, i'm gonna go get my beer now. Cheers
Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Hey man thats a great pic! Lots of peeps are gonna view that.. I am sure the UTEC guys would be happy to see that as I know I would of when I was installing mine.. I am gonna run my NOS underneath the car..
Old 10-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for that pic, it speaks about a million words... very useful info
Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 PM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I want to mount the bottle right behind the drivers seat for easy access to open the bottle.
LIke this

Very easy to open the bottle

I also like the way rico3682 put his

https://my350z.com/forum/nitrous-oxide/200733-nitrous-installed-now-the-pics.html
Old 10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by jksstar
LIke this

Very easy to open the bottle

I also like the way rico3682 put his

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200733
Yeah your placement is cool. I also like the way rico put his, mainly because I have more room in the trunk.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:27 AM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah your placement is cool. I also like the way rico put his, mainly because I have more room in the trunk.
I think the hardest thing about hooking up my kit so far was finding a good spot for the bottle
Old 10-31-2006, 04:10 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want to route it from the bottom of the vehicle because I want to mount the bottle right behind the drivers seat for easy access to open the bottle. I ran the line through the interior of the car already, and I found the big grommet for the ecu wiring harness. I just thought we might have a extra grommet that isn't being used.

I would hate to make a hole in the ecu grommet and maybe have a water leak because of it.

Thanks for the help guys
Actually I have routed lines through Main Harness Firewall Boots. But u have to be VERY careful. First I find a point that is away from wires. THINK !!!!!! Dont be hasty. Then I clamp in a vicegrip a punch of appropiate size and heat it very hot. Because a punch is tapered u push it in till u get the right diameter. Hold it for a few secs and withdraw it. U get a perfect hole. I run my line then neatly seal it with Black silicon. If u just punch a cold hole, it closes up and is a b!tch to route through. Also, a properly placed hole drilled with a properly sized grommet is a clean penatration.
I cant stress enough !!!--- Dont screw up with the hot punch. Its clean and watertite if done right

BTW---An improper seal on the main grommet on the Z WILL leak like a SOB.

Edit: ---Nice to have the Stainless line away from other wires so it doesnt Chaff them, Hence, the separate hole in the main grommet

Last edited by Eazzy; 10-31-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I routed mine inside the car down the passenger side. Then up through the big rubber grommet near the battery.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:59 AM
THE TECH

Best to just run it outside as everyone has mentioned. It is safer as well. Also if you ever plan to track it, you'll need a blow down tube which will also require you to put a hole in the floor.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:43 AM
killerlexus
Banned for Scamming

if you run through passenger side groumet , you wont have to drill or cut anything. you would just unwrap the tape around the openning and re wrap with electrical tape when your done.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
97supratt

if you run through passenger side groumet , you wont have to drill or cut anything. you would just unwrap the tape around the openning and re wrap with electrical tape when your done.
Thats what i'm going to do, thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:06 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH
Best to just run it outside as everyone has mentioned. It is safer as well. Also if you ever plan to track it, you'll need a blow down tube which will also require you to put a hole in the floor.

Why do people mention that it is safer to run it outside the car? What is gonna happen if the line burst (never seen it happen BTW)? you'll freeze your carpeting? Nitrous oxide is a NONFLAMMABLE GAS!!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:20 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by QuadCam
Why do people mention that it is safer to run it outside the car? What is gonna happen if the line burst (never seen it happen BTW)? you'll freeze your carpeting? Nitrous oxide is a NONFLAMMABLE GAS!!!!!
You are correct that it is considered a nonflammable gas, but if the line were to burst, you could die of the fumes. It is toxic. Nitrous grade product for cars is not the same as medical grade nitrous.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:04 AM
killerlexus
Banned for Scamming

go get a beer

Quick Reply: Nitrous line plumbing...