Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Nitrous line plumbing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THE TECH
You are correct that it is considered a nonflammable gas, but if the line were to burst, you could die of the fumes. It is toxic. Nitrous grade product for cars is not the same as medical grade nitrous.
I did not know that.. Glad I didnt stick my mouth over the nozzle to make me feel a little 'funny'
Old 11-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a line a long time ago rub against a sharp edge for months and finally broke while i was driving, i just got high as hell, it was fun!!!

ok, kidding on getting high but nothing happened. i was told a while ago that it was pretty much the same as medical grade but they add sulfur so you can smell it ...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:46 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i had a line a long time ago rub against a sharp edge for months and finally broke while i was driving, i just got high as hell, it was fun!!!

ok, kidding on getting high but nothing happened. i was told a while ago that it was pretty much the same as medical grade but they add sulfur so you can smell it ...

Jeremy,

I PM'd you about a s2k nx kit, just letting you know.

P.S. Need a quote. lol
Old 11-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The biggest issue is that it will basically starve you of oxygen if your whole car fills up with N2O .

If you go to a dentist's office, I don't think they give you a straight shot of N2O , they probably mix it with some oxygen ...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:31 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i was told a while ago that it was pretty much the same as medical grade but they add sulfur so you can smell it ...
jeremy, you're right. It is all N2O, but they add a small amount of sulfur to it to prevent "huffers" from abusing it. I think they add something like 20 Parts Per Million of sulfur.......i.e. a very small amount!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
killerlexus
Banned for Scamming

wowoOwaaawooooawwwwWwaaaa
Old 11-23-2006, 07:46 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
The biggest issue is that it will basically starve you of oxygen if your whole car fills up with N2O .

If you go to a dentist's office, I don't think they give you a straight shot of N2O , they probably mix it with some oxygen ...
Just in case no one has brought it to your attention since posting this, N2O has twice as much oxygen per unit volume as normal air. Breathing N2O will NOT starve you of oxygen, quite the contrary. That's why nitrous + lots of fuel works.

EDIT: They do add oxygen at the dentist, about 50:50, I was there a few weeks ago. And if inhaled in high concentrations, he did say it was toxic. However, as far as running the lines inside the car, I would think the highest danger of leakage exists at the fittings, not along the length of the hoses. And since most people place the bottle under the hatch... However, it does seem it would be an easier route to go to run the hose under the car.

Has anyone found any other place to mount the bottle besides behind the driver? I was thinking of pulling the spare and making a bracket to mount the bottle in its place, under the carpet mat, and make a better fitting, aluminum, cover for it. I suppose there is no place outside the passenger cabin. Battery compartment too small?

Last edited by undrgnd; 11-24-2006 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the problem is.... it keeps freezing my mouth damnit!!!

i remember the nitrous days... who knew that you could put it into your car as well!!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:20 AM
dizel

Default nitrous help

New to the site and the import scene. I am an old chevy small block guy and can build a 350 chevy with my eyes closed. Has anyone installed the Edelbrock nitrous kit on their Z. I got everything tightened but i am having a hell of a time with the wiring! I got it right but my service engine soon light comes on and the temp gague doesnt work. I rewired it stock and it still didn't work with a wire extention. I had to remove that 3'' wire because it didn't produce enough resistance to the ECM. I think that is the same problem i am having with the fuel enrichment module on the nitrous system. Has anyone had similar problems. HELP PLEASE its driving me nuts! The nitrous works and it goes like HELL but that light and code wont clear!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dizel
New to the site and the import scene. I am an old chevy small block guy and can build a 350 chevy with my eyes closed. Has anyone installed the Edelbrock nitrous kit on their Z. I got everything tightened but i am having a hell of a time with the wiring! I got it right but my service engine soon light comes on and the temp gague doesnt work. I rewired it stock and it still didn't work with a wire extention. I had to remove that 3'' wire because it didn't produce enough resistance to the ECM. I think that is the same problem i am having with the fuel enrichment module on the nitrous system. Has anyone had similar problems. HELP PLEASE its driving me nuts! The nitrous works and it goes like HELL but that light and code wont clear!
Your first mistake was using a edelbrock kit on a Z. I don't think i've ever heard of anybody that used the edelbrock on the Z. All you need is a basic wet kit with a window switch for fast reliable fun. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dizel
Edlebrock systems have been installed on the Z. Do a search, you will find some disappointing information. Better holla at Audible Mayhem and get a NX kit or the solenoids and nozzle to make a complete conversion. I believe Edlebrock uses a dry kit. Stock Z's have a returnless fuel system and "dry kits are the debil" (in a mama voice - waterboy). lol. You have to remember, this is not a 350ci domestic engine. Things are alot different on these cars. Wet kits only...NO DRY KITS!! If you're gonna use spray....use NX. There is no subsitute.

EDIT: tried to find the thread that this guy installed and tested the edlbrock on the dyno. Make a long story short...he didn't make the power promised by edlebrock and coverted everything to NX wet.

Last edited by Old School; 11-27-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
dizel

Thanks for the advice. I will look into a NX kit. I was bored the day before Thanksgiving, JEGS was right down the street, and wanted a little project for my daily driver. I liked the idea of being it practical and Edelbrock, in my experience, makes some solid equiptment. It works good for what i wanted it for, just some minor glitches. I got an old trailor queen in the Garage (79 Camaro). Thats where most of my money and time go. I am trying to adjust to owning an import and i like it so far, but i'll always be a camaro guy.