Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

The big bad nitrous post

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 02:13 PM
eskimo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by FairladyZCA
I read Page 1 till dis recent one - on a single sitting. I didn't move off the chair 'til I was absolutely done reading everything. Wow, u guys really have a lot of time typing these info... hahaha as I have a lot of time readin it.

I'm interested in getting NX. I'm going 2 order mine tomorrow. Hmmm looked @ their website, tryin 2 figure out d best of wat NX offer. Definitely goin w/ their 75shots. Biggest concern isn't getting d system, but rather d costs of installation & where 2 place d bottle (thinking of getting d composite bottle). 1st 1/2 of d trunk (sound system enclosure) & need my 2nd 1/2 for my other things i.e. bags, etc. Maybe I can fit something in betw. d pillar brace.

I've read d stories bout ZEX to incl. their cust. svc. & reput. in helping customers. IMHO, cust. svc. makes or breaks d company. U can have d best system in d world, but if u have a terrible cust. support, I won't endore or use ur company's product(s).

Gonna call them tomorrow and see the whole thing... will post more later down after installation. Will check back for response and other information.
You can try getting two 5lb bottles and putting one on each side of the trunk, I've seen that done for hatchbacks (Supra) before. Also, bottles come as small as 10oz.

I think less than 5lbs is for motorcycle application, because the top looks different so call up and ask if it'll fit your set up before you put money down. NX should be able to help you find what you need by calling them, but don't buy directly from them, their prices are way too high. Either find a shop that will order them and possibly install them, or look around at stores online. Also, make sure you can find a place to refill your bottle(s) before you get the setup, it might be a longer drive than you want to take. Any aftermarket shop, or any moderatley talented mechanic in your are should be able to do the install, not too tough, but you can't be too careful. Anything else?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:48 PM
FairladyZCA

Holy cow... thanks a lot. Didn't know they came in that small of size - thought it was only fast and furious myth. Hahaha I will definitely ask NX.

Some things that I need to rephrase - I'm not purchasing, but rather going through sponsorship. I am building my vehicle up and have many namebrand companies that's backing me up. I wasn't thinking of going through the sponsorship deals anymore since I was out of it for a little while. Once they (my previous sponsors) found out that I had the Z, they want me back in.

In regards NX, I've known them for years now. Though I worked with Holley through sponsorships before, I rather go with NX. Mr. X is helping me as we speak. Should get it all squared away very soon.

I'm thinking of getting two small bottles, but don't know where to put em'. Perhaps I'll place them on my seat (seen on Fast & Furious - Vin Diesel's RX-7). That looked really good and clean. I bet its not too comfortable for the passanger side, but who cares, right? Wondering if its even possible (well, anything's possible).
Old 09-18-2003, 02:58 PM
eskimo

Holy cow... thanks a lot. Didn't know they came in that small of size - thought it was only fast and furious myth. Hahaha I will definitely ask NX.

Some things that I need to rephrase - I'm not purchasing, but rather going through sponsorship. I am building my vehicle up and have many namebrand companies that's backing me up. I wasn't thinking of going through the sponsorship deals anymore since I was out of it for a little while. Once they (my previous sponsors) found out that I had the Z, they want me back in.

In regards NX, I've known them for years now. Though I worked with Holley through sponsorships before, I rather go with NX. Mr. X is helping me as we speak. Should get it all squared away very soon.

I'm thinking of getting two small bottles, but don't know where to put em'. Perhaps I'll place them on my seat (seen on Fast & Furious - Vin Diesel's RX-7). That looked really good and clean. I bet its not too comfortable for the passanger side, but who cares, right? Wondering if its even possible (well, anything's possible).
Alright, I personally don't have a Z, so you'll have to bear with me on these ideas. Can you find any empty space in the big *** rear brace to fit like a stout 5lb bottle? Or maybe in with the spare. Either of the glove boxes would be good if you don't mind giving them up and don't have a Bose system. I know this sounds strange, but theres a decent amount of space in the door for a 10oz. bottle, maybe even a 1lb. But that'd be a b itch to refill, and could be dangerous in a side-impact collision. You might be able to mount it under the passenger side dash using standard braces but hanging instead of standing. 10oz. bottle may even fit in the fuse box/brake fluid box along with the solenoids. Just sit in your car and look around for a little while. Then again, a 10oz bottle may not even make it a full run, so it all depends on what you need. 5lb is probablly good, and don't forget you can get supplementary bottles so you don't have to refill all the damn time if you get a small one. You could have two or three 10oz. in the glove box not hooked up and swap them out. You might even be able to fit a 10oz. between the driver seat and the console. No Z here, just lots of ideas.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:50 PM
FairladyZCA

Wow, thanks for your ideas. Let me try and dicent them in my mind for a second - to my conclusion, here's the deal:

"Can you find any empty space in the big *** rear brace to fit like a stout 5lb bottle?" - That's where I'm thinking of placing the bottle. When I take pictures, I'll make sure to post em' up for y'll to see.
"Or maybe in with the spare" - Spare? What spare? Oh you mean where I used to have one of those. I have a VCR in there now. Nope, can't do it there.
"Either of the glove boxes would be good" - No can do. On the right side, I have my PS2 mounted with lighting. On the left one is my 1600Watt Amp mounted with lighting.
"decent amount of space in the door for a 10oz. bottle" - Nope, can't do it there either - got my mids/tweets/X-overs and yea, refill be a biatch to deal with + side impact can't be too pleasing to the ears/nose/eyes.
"under the passenger side dash using standard braces but hanging instead of standing" Sounds too ghetto of an install - not good for shows, unless its a DUB Show. You may win first prize for that show!
I can go on with the no's, but I'm afraid that I just don't have the space in the front cabin. Only place is the pillars. Its either that or outside. Maybe I can mount it on top of the car and fabricate a housing for it. Hahaha now that may be a good idea - expensive, but good.

Only three possible places...

1. Under the rear brace
2. Where my VCR is located and place that elsewhere
3. Sides (2bottles) of the back portion of the trunk. That means less space for me to put my - whatever in.

Please anyone... any ideas that we haven't talked?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:12 PM
eskimo

LOL, what about in the lump under a Stillen hood? No need for a bottle heater then, but you might get a little too hot. I don't know if you realize how small a 10oz. bottle is, narrower than a can of coke, and less volumous. You could definatlly fit it where your spare was unless you have a round VCR, probablly even a 1 or 5lb bottle. Pillars could be cool, maybe even on the underside of the hatch? The size in inches are listed on that pic above so try mocking up something with like a shoebox and tape and hold it in different spots on your car, and don't forget something like a Venom kit's bottle is 6" x 21", so don't assume all brands are the same.

Your NX kit should be able to hook right up to a NOS bottle, in any case NX dosen't make small bottles, but ask around first, and you can always get the bottle painted and/or resticker it.

Last edited by eskimo; 09-18-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:34 PM
FairladyZCA

Hey Eskimo:

Always a pleasure reading your thoughts and comments on the web.

Since I posted, I have decided to strool to my vehicle and re-see where I can possibly install the kit at. With the measurements that I took... diameter to be approximately 8" X length @ 21", I can install a 5lb bottle (or possibly even a 10lb bottle). The bottle won't be really shown anyway because I'm going to fabricate a door with a window and have lighting in there (so that people will like what they see on shows) while preserving the very necessary trunk space in my Z.

Although I'll ask NX directly, I don't think there's any way else. I was thinking of sticking two bottles on the side of the most back of the trunk, but its not going to look "how I want it". Getting anything smaller than the 5lb bottle will just not look right UNLESS I go with my other plan in fabricating it under the passanger seat, which I don't want to anymore... too much time + aggrivation.

OOps.... UPS is here. Gotta Go!!! Thanks for the input!

Richard
Old 09-18-2003, 04:48 PM
eskimo

Where exactlly were you thinking about putting it now? 5lb bottle - 16.75"x5.25". Don't forget that the front of the bottle has to be tilted up some minimum angle to functon correctly.

What about three 10oz. on the ceiling, following the three gauge in the front center look. Also, one last strange one, take the VCR out of the spare spot, get one of those 7"x7" dvd players and run video-out to replace it, then have a door flush with the trunk floor, that when pushed, or when a button is pushed, the front of it (towards the rear of the car) lifts and opens displaying a pair or a trio of small bottles that you can just slide out to refill, or something of the sort. All depends on how much 'wow' you think you can get for you buck.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:39 PM
FairladyZCA

"What about three 10oz. on the ceiling, following the three gauge in the front center look." First of all - WHOA! What the !!!!! Holy cow! Now that's sweet! Good idea! Lemme see if it'll work with my fabricator. However, NX doesn't carry that type of bottle - OR DO THEY? Gotta ask tomorrow for sure!

"Take the VCR out of the spare spot, get one of those 7"x7" dvd players and run video-out to replace it, then have a door flush with the trunk floor, that when pushed, or when a button is pushed, the front of it (towards the rear of the car) lifts and opens displaying a pair or a trio of small bottles that you can just slide out to refill, or something of the sort." - Can't get rid of the VCR!!! Hahaha got a DVD player and Playstation2 in the car already. Need VCR till' korean video shops decides to play korean movies on DVDs. Gotta have my "shot" of videos during shows or I'll be bored to death!

Last note: Didn't know that the system to function correctly - it needed to be tilted up some min. angle. Good call! Thanks! Gotta find out what's the minimum degree angle allowed for it to properly work.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:10 PM
eskimo

Like I say, you can take the NOS stickers off the chrome bottles and put NX on if you like, or get them painted the same color as your exterior for a real clean look, maybe even wrap 'em in fiber if you like that look, or at least painted/vinyled to look like it. Most important thing to check right now is whether you can attach those to your NX set up, ask both NOS and NX and you're set. I'm glad you like the idea. You can probablly run the lines down one of the pillars inside the plastic pretty easily. You can probablly hang them from the ceiling at that angle using some pipe brackets from home depot, chrome em for show I suppose.

EDIT: Looking at the hi-res pic of the bottles I'm damn near positive you can tap into them the same way, the only difference looks to be the opening mechanism, just ask NX if NOS bottles will fit your kit and you're set.

-Peter

Last edited by eskimo; 09-18-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:16 PM
eskimo

Comparison
Attached Thumbnails The big bad nitrous post-bottletops.jpg  
Old 09-18-2003, 06:25 PM
FairladyZCA

Sorry, but I can't do that. I should have explained myself more clearly. I am getting a "full sponsorship". That would completely change the specs in what they sell and what they don't sell. I don't want to promote something that my sponsor doesn't have - it's not appropriate.

The other point is the fact that you're expecting me to purchase a bottle. That's where you went all wrong with me. I don't want to spend more than I have to... if any.

I'm going to talk with the guy whose gonna install em' and get back to this post in a bit. Thanks though...
Old 09-18-2003, 06:33 PM
eskimo

Yeah I guess that would make sense, well NX might make 'em, but I don't think they do. Seems like unless your sponsor is NX, you're OK though, seeing as you can get those bottles from a company that just sells bottles that hold gasese like CO2 or O2. I don't know what you're deal with your sponsor is, just trying to offer any help I can.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:37 PM
FairladyZCA

Originally posted by eskimo
Yeah I guess that would make sense, well NX might make 'em, but I don't think they do. Seems like unless your sponsor is NX, you're OK though, seeing as you can get those bottles from a company that just sells bottles that hold gasese like CO2 or O2. I don't know what you're deal with your sponsor is, just trying to offer any help I can.
Didn't mean to sound as if I was all over your back... on contraire monfraire... I appreciate your help and time in trying to help me decide which way to go.

Just gotta ask them what kit and all information I can get for my vehicle. I will tell them how I want to apply and what I should have. Since I've worked with them before on other vehicles, they're cool with what I need/want. Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:40 PM
eskimo

Didn't mean to sound as if I was all over your back... on contraire monfraire... I appreciate your help and time in trying to help me decide which way to go.

Just gotta ask them what kit and all information I can get for my vehicle. I will tell them how I want to apply and what I should have. Since I've worked with them before on other vehicles, they're cool with what I need/want. Thanks a bunch!
NP, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were, thats just how it came out, by you and your sponsors deal, I meant your contract or agreement, your setup. Let me know whatever you decided, and lets see some pictures of all this stuff you've got done, not that we haven't hijacked the thread enough.

EDIT: NX sells bottles down to 1lb, which feature a "motorcycle valve" which I'm guessing (I don't actually know) dosen't provide the same flow as a regular valve, neccessitating the use of multiple bottles, if at all possible. Sorry to put a damper on your plans.

Last edited by eskimo; 09-18-2003 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:15 PM
jmcmorante

I hope im not getting too much off the subject here but I need you guys expertise. I have a Wet NX system 35-50-75 with a 10lb. bottle wide open throttle system for about 3 months. After install I remained doing a lot of research on nitrous operation for my Z since this is my first car with a nitrous set up. All I was left with was more confusion. Im embarrased to say that I have used it only 3 times including the test drive after install due to not feeling confident of having the proper knowledge of the operation. I want to use it more often though as you can imagine.

I want to ask you guys for hints and also this couple of questions. To start with what else do I need to make my system safe and avoid blowing my engine. I hear there are pressure gauges, bottle heaters and remote bottle openers, but not sure if needed or what I should get.

Also now that summer is coming, how should I store the bottle. I usually take the bottle off the car and leave it in my garage if im not planning to use it for fear of the cops but now that its hot now I stored it inside one of my bedroom. Is it safe to leave the bottle, lets say, in the car in 105F degrees in a parking lot? Is it safe to have it in a room at home?

I really have had no luck in finding any Z owners with a nitrous setup in so-cal that may be willing to get together and chat regarding the proper nitorus operation. Im sorry to say I did find one guy but he was a real jerk. It would be neat to get together a couple of guys with NX in their Z's.

I'am currently running the 35 shoot and want to go to the 50 or 75 but so many people say not to that Im confused. PLZ let me know you rinput. I understand if 75 shoot is used one in a while is ok but why r so many people advising me of not even using the system?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:46 AM
RedondoG

jmcmorante;
I'm in SoCal in the south bay area, I have a N2O set-up on my G35 and have been researching this subject for a year now. I can probably answer most of your questions.
PM me if you want.
Terry
Old 06-21-2005, 08:08 AM
TwiZted

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to post on this thread only because I read the entire thing in 1 sitting, hmmmm.... I am thinking about a 75 shot on the Z, how is that Venom kit working out for you RedondoG ?? The Zex kit 'sounds' good, I just dont want to experience issues with the control box. I know with the Venom kit the rpms in which the N20 is sprayed can be controlled, how is that setup on the G?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:18 PM
RedondoG

Twizted;

I've been having some trouble with the Venom system, its been running lean while spraying. Fortunately Venom is in my neighborhood and they've offered to troubleshoot the system for free. The G is at Vemon right now, I expect to get it back on Thursday.
I turns out they had tested their system on an 03 and early 04, but not on the 04.5 G's. PM me in couple of days and I'll tell you what they found. If your Z is an early 04 (not the ULEV model) there should be no problems.

Terry
Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 PM
RedondoG

Twizted;
I got the G back from Venom. The new dyno charts show about 303 HP at the wheels and at that point the injectors don't have anything left in them. Venom had to modify their firmware to work with the ULEV settings in the ECU.
Alls rightt with the world...
next mod will be an upgearde fuel pump.
Terry
Old 07-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Koolwhip

Originally Posted by XBS
in some other post i read that a dry shot is best for 75 and under so which is better for my Z a wet or dry? and what are the pros/cons thanks
I have been thinking about using the Edelbrock EFI Dry kit on my 350z. Here is a link to the install/performance story -

http://superstreetonline.com/techar..._edelbrock350z/

Quick Reply: The big bad nitrous post