Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

The big bad nitrous post

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 11:23 AM
McDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The white w/ red striped wire is not working! This is just a constant 5V source voltage. I don't understand how this could possibly be working for you guys unless they also tapped the ground wire going to the ECU, which the manual says would cause the internal power transistors to eventually burn out.
I've tried both with no luck! The Zex unit won't even program successfully with just the white wire cause it doesn't see a voltage change. The MIL light did kick on though

Dan
Old 05-18-2003, 11:48 AM
12SecZ

There was a spare slot running the length of the car by the fuel and brake lines. It's just too perfect!
So true, as if the car was designed for N20 Brandon thoughtthe same thing when we ran the 4an hose. a 20 foot one would be better that is why I asked.

I too need the NGK Part number for 1 degree colder, I'm not sold 100 % on these ZEX plugs.

I have some air and fuel issues to work out to to get into the 12's less I run ET streets.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:31 AM
02trex

Default still the wrong wire

McDan,

The color of the wire is solid white, not white with a red stripe.

MaxHax,

What issues are you having regarding air/fuel?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:58 AM
McDan

Default Re: still the wrong wire

Originally posted by 02trex
McDan,

MaxHax,

Thanks.
Where is the white wire at? This explains our discrepancy.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:34 AM
02trex

Remove the intake tube. Locate the gray plug just below and to the right of the throttle body. Remove some of the wire loom; the white wire is there.
Attached Thumbnails The big bad nitrous post-aem-intake-004.jpg  
Old 05-19-2003, 10:54 AM
12SecZ

Not sure on air but the Z runs way too rich even with N/A 10HP rich, but even on N20 it's too rich and there is power to be had with an A/F controller. I need an A/F Box and some Dyno time I guess.
---

He's right it's a solid white wire there is a pic of it at my website, butt into it with the ZEX white wire.

Sorry my inbox was full if anyone PM'd me I apoligize, I emptied it.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:13 AM
McDan

Default Re: still the wrong wire

McDan,

MaxHax,

Thanks.
I have no solid white wire to the TPS! Only white w/ red stripe. See pic below:
Attached Thumbnails The big bad nitrous post-tps-wires.jpg  
Old 05-19-2003, 11:15 AM
McDan

Only white wires found are going to this green plug foing to something else:
Attached Thumbnails The big bad nitrous post-tpswiresandwhts.jpg  
Old 05-19-2003, 11:25 AM
12SecZ

Did you call Wade at ZEX?

Him or Joey will get you straightened out, they are great people!

I would help more but I paid for my install. Sorry!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:33 PM
02trex

McDan,

That is very strange! I don't know what to tell you...mine has a solid white wire; I can see though that yours does not. If I have time, I will take a peak at my wire harness tonight and note all of the wire colors for comparison to your pic.

Do not try to use the wire on the green plug.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:06 PM
zul8ter

Default zex spark plug

I used the zex spark plugs on my integra gsr with 55 shot and one of the plugs got totally messed up. the white peice that is below the electrode came apart and slide down and covered the elctrode seperating it from the metal peice that goes over the the electrode that receives the spark( i don't know if you understand, don't know the correct names) any ways it coused my car to sputter. so i checked the plugs and that is what i found. so i would say if you have n2o than you need to check your spark plugs often.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:48 AM
02trex

McDan,
The wire colors on my car are: white, white w/ red stripe, red w/ blue stripe, black, green, brown. Very different from yours.

The white wire on my car is in the same location as the green wire on your car. If the green is actually the correct wire, which it now appears to be (though I cannot explain the color differences), I suggest programming the ZEX unit with the car in neutral by manually opening the butterfly to full throttle. If that doesn't work, there may be something wrong with the ZEX unit.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:18 AM
McDan

McDan,
The wire colors on my car are: white, white w/ red stripe, red w/ blue stripe, black, green, brown. Very different from yours.

The white wire on my car is in the same location as the green wire on your car. If the green is actually the correct wire, which it now appears to be (though I cannot explain the color differences), I suggest programming the ZEX unit with the car in neutral by manually opening the butterfly to full throttle. If that doesn't work, there may be something wrong with the ZEX unit.

Good luck.
ohhhhkayyyyyy.....???
That's weird. Must have been a production change, only the manual does not show both setups. I wonder if they added the feature of being able to put the car in gear when not running and being able to open th throttle with the pedal. I sent my ZEX unit back to ZEX to be checked out because it got really hot and the programming doesn't seem to be working.

So I guess the answer is either the white or green wire, depending out which car you have... Hell, maybe there's another color out there!! I don't understand why they would do this. Imagine a dealer going by the manual trying to troubleshoot a TPS problem and seeing no Green wire....

Dan
Old 05-21-2003, 01:35 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Questions about nitrous set-ups:

1. What are the long term effects on the engine, if any?

2. A safety setting of 4000 rpm's was suggested for the spraying threshold. Is 3000 rpm's too low of a setting? My concern is that i will bounce off the rev limiter fairly quickly.

3. Will i need a larger exhaust to accomodate the extra airflow that will now exist?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:22 AM
02trex

1) The long term effect on the engine is "premature" wear. This extra wear is caused, not so much by the nitrous, but by the extra power. The wear would occur with any mod that gave you an additional 55-75 HP. Nitrous, in my experiences, is safe; just follow all safety precautions.
2) I don't know what you mean by "safety setting for the spraying threshold"...I spray from launch (once I have traction) through 6000 rpm, then shift. I shift slightly "early" to stay away from the rev limiter.
3) Nitrous does not increase your airflow; it helps burn additional fuel. You do not "need" a larger exhaust, but it would not be detrimental to have one.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:50 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

2. earlier it was said that the window switch should be set at 4000 rpm. Since yours is set to come on from launch, is it at 1000 rpm? or lower than that even?

3. So assuming i had a wet kit 75 shot, the extra fuel and oxygen being burned would be fine with the stock exhaust diameter?

Last edited by elektrik_juggernaut; 05-22-2003 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:12 AM
02trex

The ZEX kit needs to be "armed" by flipping a switch. Then it activates at wide open throttle, no matter what RPM you are at. My method is to launch the car and use the "arm" switch to initiate system activation:
1. The system is not active while I'm preparing to launch (stopped)
2. I launch the car (at WOT, slipping the clutch)
3. I gain traction (clutch fully released)
4. I flip the "arm" switch (WOT in 1st gear)
5. The nitrous system operates
Bottom line, I control when the system comes on.

Regarding exhaust, you would be able to extract more power with an aftermarket exhaust, but is the cost worth the small amount of extra power? Only you can determine that; for me, I don't see an exhaust as being a cost-effective mod (nitrous equipped or stock) for my goals. If your goal is to extract every last available HP, then by all means get the exhaust.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:15 PM
12SecZ

but is the cost worth the small amount of extra power?
Yes!!! My exhaust from the cats back was 300 bucks and you need it for N20, Turbo or SC because parts of the stock exhaust drop to 2 inches! (So Muffler Tech told me)

Why not just leave it armed and play with WOT with the gas paddle instead of all that flipping of the switch until that guy figures out if the MSD window switch will work?

N20 and my A5T WOT or not no in between
Old 05-23-2003, 08:09 PM
UnderPressure

Originally posted by MaxHax

I too need the NGK Part number for 1 degree colder, I'm not sold 100 % on these ZEX plugs.

LFR6A-11

Non-platinum 1 range colder

Try calling your local Yamaha Marine dealer. This is the standard plug for a 115hp outboard motor. Leave it to Nissan to pick the most odd-ball plug to saddle our cars w/.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:35 PM
12SecZ

For the record ZEX has assured me that these plugs will not cause "damage to the heads" and as for timing it is a non issue but I will tuck that part number away thanks!

Quick Reply: The big bad nitrous post