Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

ZEX Bottle Heater Installed (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 08:24 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZEX Bottle Heater Installed (pic)

Getting ready for Wednesday, upped my jets to 75 HP!

pic here

Last edited by 12SecZ; 04-14-2003 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Zaphod 350z

Good luck bro. Represent the sunny d! (juice)
Old 04-15-2003, 02:14 PM
supra crazy

i know little about nitrous and was wondering y would you want to heat a bottle ithought heat would be bad for the engine and also would make the bottle explude?

please correct me because i know im wrong and would like to know why would you need a nitrous heater.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:34 PM
12SecZ

Default Thanks you guys!

I really apreciate the sincere thoughts.

Last time it was sprinkly, we called it early for safety it never fully rained and other racers kept going but still.. I play it safe, it's a slick and narrow track and I'm launching on non DR's. My buddy Brandon races it too, he weighs 100 lbs less than me and has a whole room full of trophees! He is an M6 guy but he is the best driver I know bar none and he always gets my props. I may let him run it (if it doesn't rain) and get me a 12.9 (I wiegh 250-260 lbs he is like half that, and we remove my sub box too. We forgot to weigh it, this time we will. He represented the Trans Am and in his stock WS6 and won the Bakersfield North South shoot-out for the whole state of California last year. My mechanic, my friend, my ex detailer (smirk CGQ) and my driver sometimes when I need an extra .2 tenths. I don't think I could pull a 12.9 with my current mods but if anyone can it would be him. At the track we call him the "Hookmeister" anyone knowing how important hooking is knows what that term is all about. If he can't hook on the track that day NO ONE can. PROPS.

Yersterday it was supposed to rain but didn't. Today it was supposed to rain and is just overcast and damp.

Tomorow it is supposed to rain too.

I'm not wasting 65 more bucks to leave early
(40 bottle fill and 15 race fee) but other than that the temp is perfect! Timing for tomorow is perfect too because my wife is out of state! Dangit!

I broke a stupid bolt on my TB too which is a bummer.

We may have that fixed today, I am hoping. Otherwise the safest thing to do is to put it off a week and tell my wife I asm going to a GTG (not really a lie) married men who have wives that hate cars will understand this part lol.

While the TB was off I was gonna do some work on it but since dwnshift posted no gains that saved me some time.

This board is such a great resource.

Here is my city forecast

weather link in my city click here Too close to call. Gates open at 430pm PST tomorow aprox 25 hours from now. It's getting really windy as I type.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:37 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as the bottle gets low it doesnt shoot with the same pressure, so you heat it to raise the pressure back up. I dont think you would heat a full bottle.

maxhax can double check me on that tho.

oh and it can explode. bottles have a emergency release valve that will pop if it goes too high in pressure tho. Ive heard stories of people trying to get a bit extra into it, and closing the release up. then leaving a heater on or something like that, and BOOM. no one was in the car in the story I heard tho. car was toast tho.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:41 PM
12SecZ

i know little about nitrous and was wondering y would you want to heat a bottle ithought heat would be bad for the engine and also would make the bottle explude?
Well in laymens terms every time you make a run it tends to drop your bottle pressure. This is because the N20 is very cold. Ever use C02 or like a can or air to dust off your PC? Notice how the can sorta freezes up and gets cold?

The ZEX kit is designed to run at it's optimum at 900 to 1000 (per their website, anything above 900 is cool with me even 1200
but anywaZ after you run it will drop from like say 900 down to 700 and cost you time in your ET.

The bottle heater has two thermostats and an on off switch that keeps it at the optimum level for racing.

Just remember to turn off the switch when done and it won't "blow up."

Hope this helps. Do you own a Supra? What year?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:44 PM
12SecZ

Default Very good point Ares

The ZEX bottle in it's stock form (at least the one I got) did NOT have a vent valve!

I had to but that. I don't reccomend keeping a full bottle in your trunk in warm weather without a vent valve or blow down tube!

ZEX buyers/owners I would double check that!

NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) requires a Blow Down Tube which basicly does the same thing except it vents it out of the car for your safety. I have a pic of my setup with BD Tube at my website.

I dont think you would heat a full bottle.
Well if it was only 700 I would turn the heater on a full bottle to raise it to 900 because it's controlled by thermostats anyway.
It depends on the weather.

The first run always has the highest pressure, it's down hill from there and this is where the heater comes in.

Last edited by 12SecZ; 04-15-2003 at 02:47 PM.