Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Sprayed and Boosted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Chudson coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprayed and Boosted?

Who here is running nitrous on a stock block with a turbo? I came across a good deal and picked up a nitrous kit. I'm going to install it but probably wont use it until I have a built engine this winter. Just wanted to see if anyone else has it. I've got the TN kit, reflash now but will get tuned before I ever use the nitrous. I'm around 350whp, so I think I could run a 50 shot and still be within the limits of the rods.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 AM
coachk
Banned

I was running a TT/ 35 shot with a stock motor. 425whp on the TT and 460 whp with TT & N20. The car ran very strong for a long time. When I upped the spray to a 75 shot it made it 1000'
Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

prepare to build motor sooner than you would like
Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Hoooper

if hes only at 350 + 50 shot he should be just fine unless he gets a really crappy tune, or no tune at all
Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Chudson coupe

I have an AEM wideband gauge, assuming that I don't exceed much over 400 hp and bend the rods, will monitoring the A/F be the main thing to worry about?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Hoooper

pull some timing, watch fuel...yeah pretty much. EGT's have to be considered too
Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM
coachk
Banned

Do you plan on getting a different EMS
Old 06-19-2008, 02:31 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could go either way...

Its the torque you (or should I say, your rods) need to be afraid of.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Chudson coupe

Yeah, I know I should really just do the build first, but I think I got a pretty good deal so I couldn't resist haha. And if its sitting in the garage its going to be hard to keep out of the car. Plus the front mount for the supra came today, now i really wont be able to keep up.

I haven't decided on EMS yet, I have the emanage ultimate, which some people like and some people dont, its just sitting in its box for now, i may change it up, especially if i have nitrous because i want to be able to switch maps (i.e. utec) so i can switch between a standard map for boost and one that has nitrous built in.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:12 AM
coachk
Banned

UTEC works well with N20
Old 06-20-2008, 04:24 PM
chefrey

a lot of people use juice to spool the turbo faster and then cut it off once full boost is reached, it is a technique that works well especially with bigger turbos.

if your running on stock block the combination of the two all the time will be hard on the motor weather u are above 400 or not. try using progressive activation of the juice and a solid tune and your motor will last a bit longer, but remember to check your solenoids often when ramping them, they tend to malfunction sooner from that.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Chudson coupe

thanks for the input. how do i control the juice like that? sorry i'm a newb when it comes to nitrous.

And with EMS, do i really need to be able to switch maps? or can i tune for nitrous and be ok when i'm not using it (i think i'd just be rich) Its just that I already have an emanage ultimate (which i dont think can switch maps on the fly) so i might as well use it until i have a built engine.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:46 PM
zmedic16

barking up the wrong tree with any e-manage on th z.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Chudson coupe

lets not turn this into an argument about the emanage, so many confuse the ultimate with the blue. the ultimate has proven to be adequate, just not quite as tunable and does not have nice features like map switching on the fly like the utec. I'm thinking about using it because i already have it, i picked it up months ago for real cheap.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by Chudson coupe
thanks for the input. how do i control the juice like that? sorry i'm a newb when it comes to nitrous.

And with EMS, do i really need to be able to switch maps? or can i tune for nitrous and be ok when i'm not using it (i think i'd just be rich) Its just that I already have an emanage ultimate (which i dont think can switch maps on the fly) so i might as well use it until i have a built engine.

Control the N20 by using a button, thats what I do. I have mine set thru the UTEC to come on at 4k and shut off at 6,500 but even with that I can shut it off at any time by letting go of the button. I don't know alot about the ultimate and its use with N20, but if you can pick up a UTEC for cheap, it would be a good idea.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 AM
chefrey

Originally Posted by Chudson coupe

as far as ramping the juice you need to buy a progressive controller like a maximizer or i believe nx has a new line of gauges out that can control that as well.

for the ems i definately would try to find a utec at a good price
Old 06-21-2008, 10:33 AM
coachk
Banned

Is a progressive controller where it progressively sprays until it hits the desired shot amount. If so I think that would be good for a big shot but he's only going to spray a 50 shot.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:19 PM
chefrey

yes thats what im talking about. im just trying to offer advice to help him get some more time out of the stock block. even though its only a 50 shot ramping it in would still help with traction as well as motor stress. entering full boost and adding a 50 shot at the same time is going to cause some issues keeping the tires in place.

most people just like you did coach cant stay at a small shot of juice for a long time anyway, that **** is like crack keeps calling you back and after you get used to it you just want to go bigger!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 AM
coachk
Banned

Ain't that the truth....my motto is "MUST GO FASTER"...N20 is a good/evil addiction
Old 06-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Chudson coupe

Thanks guys, I think I will go with a progressive controller, it may not be optimal right now at a small shot, but down the road I hope to be able to use a larger shot when I have a new engine. I'd love to have that integrated into my gauges so I'll check out what NX has.

I do not want a new steering wheel, where is your favorite place for the button coachk? I'm pretty sure I'll be going with a button instead of a TPS.

Also, which gauges are the most important with N2O? I have oil pressure, boost, and A/F, I have room for two more.

Also, where is the best place for the purge? I was thinking of trying to get the purge valve in front of my intercooler, maybe it will give me colder intake temps for a few seconds. Not as good as the NX intracooler thing but may work somewhat.

Quick Reply: Sprayed and Boosted?