Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Sprayed and Boosted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:12 AM
coachk
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you some pics of my N20 setup If you look at my avatar real close you can see where I'm purging from.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:07 AM
chefrey

if u buy the intercooler ring, install it and runn the lines from your purge selonoid to your intercooler i don see why that actually wouldnt work just like a intercooler sprayer and you could use it at will just by holding the perge switch for however long u wanted to. not a bad idea
Old 06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd definitely stick with a small shot for now.

Also, for nitrous, I recommend that you get the digital bottle pressure guage and the switch center from dynotune. Or, if you can afford it, look into NX's new guages. They cost a pretty penny or 2, but they have everything you need it seems.

Just purge away from your intakes. You don't want to suck up the nitrous gas without compensating for it with extra fuel. Which is why it's a bad idea to spray into your intercooler. Also, when you get a intercooler sprayer kit, they are released at a different rate (limited by hole sizes) vs purge is just dumping the nitrous gas and it'll be more concentrated.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Chudson coupe

Good info, the kit is coming with a digital bottle pressure gauge, and the new NX gauges look amazing but are a little our of my price range.

One question about spraying the intercooler with the purge, I agree that it would eat up a lot of spray, but how would that ever get into the intake? the TN intake is pretty much just ahead of the driver side wheel well.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:09 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by Chudson coupe
Good info, the kit is coming with a digital bottle pressure gauge, and the new NX gauges look amazing but are a little our of my price range.

One question about spraying the intercooler with the purge, I agree that it would eat up a lot of spray, but how would that ever get into the intake? the TN intake is pretty much just ahead of the driver side wheel well.
Ah, I guess you're right. But either way, my point was that you should be careful where you spray. And trust me, purging to "cool down your air intake" is a stupid idea and a huge waste of precious nitrous (that you can use to cool down by spraying it anyway) when you do have the right distributor to go on the intercooler.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Chudson coupe

yeah, I think it might be a waste now that i think about it. I mean why would you worry about intake temps in the intercooler if you're spraying into the throttle body anyways. probly wouldn't notice a difference.

so aside from that topic, i'll be redoing my center console to fit 2 more gauges, and the electric pressure display, whats the best place for a button if I don't want it on the steering wheel, or is it not safe to have it anywhere but the wheel?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

yeah, I think it might be a waste now that i think about it. I mean why would you worry about intake temps in the intercooler if you're spraying into the throttle body anyways. probly wouldn't notice a difference.

so aside from that topic, i'll be redoing my center console to fit 2 more gauges, and the electric pressure display, whats the best place for a button if I don't want it on the steering wheel, or is it not safe to have it anywhere but the wheel?
If you have an automatic, then it doesn't matter as at least one hand will be free.

If you have a manual, your best option is the steering wheel. Unless you want to press the button, let go to shift, then press again, then let go to shift, etc, I see no other option. This is also why you should get the TPS or a WOT switch. Buttons serve no purpose as you'll only be spraying at WOT anyway. Why not just flick the switch and be done with it (let the gadget do the work electronically)? This isn't Fast and the Furious.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 AM
coachk
Banned

I like the button and mine is on a cord.I hold it in my left hand while my left hand is still on the steering wheel and I shift my AT with my right. I like the button because when I'm racing, if my tires break loose I can just left off the button but still stay WOT. I'm a computer retard when it comes to posting pics so if anyone wants to PM me their email address I can email them to you and you can post them in this thread. I think my setup is pretty decent when it comes to my gauges and the install of my kit.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 AM
chefrey

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Ah, I guess you're right. But either way, my point was that you should be careful where you spray. And trust me, purging to "cool down your air intake" is a stupid idea and a huge waste of precious nitrous (that you can use to cool down by spraying it anyway) when you do have the right distributor to go on the intercooler.

if i remember reading my post correctly i said for him to use a intercooler spray bar and run the line from the purge solenoid to it, thus having it hooked up propperly. plus if you are going to purge anyway why waste nitrous in thin air when you could put it to use somewhere else.

so to clarify, purging out by your winshield is a "waste of prescious nitrous" and purging to an intercoolerspray bar would be putting that prescious nitrous to use, you going to purge either way right.

also put a turbo car on the dyno and spray the intercooler with nitrous you will make more horse power everytime, anywhere from 15 to 40 depending on the car and set up

we are not talking about purging to "cool down an intake" we are talking about spraying an intercooler.

Last edited by chefrey; 06-24-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 AM
coachk
Banned

With the amount of money I have in this car "wasting precious N20" is the least of my worries.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by chefrey
if i remember reading my post correctly i said for him to use a intercooler spray bar and run the line from the purge solenoid to it, thus having it hooked up propperly. plus if you are going to purge anyway why waste nitrous in thin air when you could put it to use somewhere else.

so to clarify, purging out by your winshield is a "waste of prescious nitrous" and purging to an intercoolerspray bar would be putting that prescious nitrous to use, you going to purge either way right.

also put a turbo car on the dyno and spray the intercooler with nitrous you will make more horse power everytime, anywhere from 15 to 40 depending on the car and set up

we are not talking about purging to "cool down an intake" we are talking about spraying an intercooler.
Oh, I guess I must have missed that. However, the proper way to purge is to let the least amount of nitrous out using purge. As soon as you start purging the vapor, that's when you're supposed to stop. This takes less than a second, especially at higher pressures.

I know and agree that spraying the intercooler with nitrous will yield greater power gains, but unless your car is at a track running extremely high temperatures (isn't methanol better in this case anyway?), there are better ways to use nitrous - namely spraying into the engine (which will cool down the intake temperature more than a colder intercooler ever will.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
chefrey

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Oh, I guess I must have missed that. However, the proper way to purge is to let the least amount of nitrous out using purge. As soon as you start purging the vapor, that's when you're supposed to stop. This takes less than a second, especially at higher pressures.

I know and agree that spraying the intercooler with nitrous will yield greater power gains, but unless your car is at a track running extremely high temperatures (isn't methanol better in this case anyway?), there are better ways to use nitrous - namely spraying into the engine (which will cool down the intake temperature more than a colder intercooler ever will.

i actually agree with you 100%, but i think you are missunderstanding what i am trying to get across.

simply put when you purge into the atmosphere you loose all the gas with no benifit what so ever except filling your lines with nitrous. so that being said if your purge line was run to an intercooler bar it would actually benift you in two ways instead of one. slightly cooling down the intercooler (compressed gas is cold whether it is nitrous mix or just nitrogen) and filling the lines with nitrous at the same time and if you so chose to you could also use your nitrous to completely cool the intercooler as a spray bar set up would do. it would be like having two kits in one, apposed to adding a meth kit on top off a turbo and on top of nitrous.

in the end it would just be a more effecient use of your purge apposed to letting it go into the atmosphere.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:19 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

I got a similar question about this..

I have a built motor with the TN kit on. Im gettin it tuned with a utec soon but im not gonna run too much boost considering the high IAT the kit causes. Now can i run like 10 lbs of boost and drop like a 75 shot in there safley. BTW, im on the 380cc injectors and the walbro pump
Old 06-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Chudson coupe

I wouldn't run 10 pounds of boost on a stock block even without nitrous, with a good tune you might be ok, but i wouldnt risk it. your injectors have to work so much hard with each additional pound of boost, and the tn kit comes with 380cc injectors that are designed to be safe on the engine at around 8.5 psi
Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

I wouldn't run 10 pounds of boost on a stock block even without nitrous, with a good tune you might be ok, but i wouldnt risk it. your injectors have to work so much hard with each additional pound of boost, and the tn kit comes with 380cc injectors that are designed to be safe on the engine at around 8.5 psi
I dont have a stock block, i said i have a built block .LOL
Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by chefrey
i actually agree with you 100%, but i think you are missunderstanding what i am trying to get across.

simply put when you purge into the atmosphere you loose all the gas with no benifit what so ever except filling your lines with nitrous. so that being said if your purge line was run to an intercooler bar it would actually benift you in two ways instead of one. slightly cooling down the intercooler (compressed gas is cold whether it is nitrous mix or just nitrogen) and filling the lines with nitrous at the same time and if you so chose to you could also use your nitrous to completely cool the intercooler as a spray bar set up would do. it would be like having two kits in one, apposed to adding a meth kit on top off a turbo and on top of nitrous.

in the end it would just be a more effecient use of your purge apposed to letting it go into the atmosphere.
Ah, I agree with you also.

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie
I got a similar question about this..

I have a built motor with the TN kit on. Im gettin it tuned with a utec soon but im not gonna run too much boost considering the high IAT the kit causes. Now can i run like 10 lbs of boost and drop like a 75 shot in there safley. BTW, im on the 380cc injectors and the walbro pump
I guess it depends on how built your motor is and how much you trust your tuner. Without knowing the specs, nobody can give a definite answer. Try the FI sub-forum, also, regarding this question (if you haven't already).