Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

High compression or low with spray?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:27 PM
mtm864

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High compression or low with spray?

Hello all,

I have a quick question and i need some advice on a few things. I am in the process of building my 03 bottom end and i was wondering which would be the best route to go. I want to turbo it but i will resort to nitrous for the time being. Should i go high compression 11:0:1 and spray ? Or go 8:8:1 and spray? Like i mentioned before i want to turbo but that will be in the far future and i dont want it to be a complete slug until then. Thank you for your time and suggestions. Oh and i will be running 93 octane all the time, and ocassionally 110 race gas for the thurs-sat nights
Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Ragingbull350Z

I'm far from an expert on this topic, but from what I've read up.....Spray likes higher compression. This site is like my bible, search a bit and all of life's questions will be answered
Old 08-11-2009, 03:16 PM
mtm864

Originally Posted by dave079
Moved..........

Please dont post this in the general section. We have subforums for reasons
sorry wasnt sure what topic this woul fall under
Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

You have "spray" in your title, which would indicate that this is nitrous related.....

Anyway, to answer your question, it all depends on what you're wanting:

There will be more strain on various internal components and other parts with higher compression engine whereas the lower compression engine will not experience as much strain. However, the lower compression engine will be slower on the bottle than a higher compression engine. The higher compression engine tends to output more power than the lower compression engine, thanks to cooling effect of nitrous among other things.

Keep in mind that both are fine, given that you provide a proper nitrous/fuel mixture. However, with higher compression engines, you must be more cautious as far as higher octane gas and more ignition retardation goes. The lower compression engine will allow for more flexibility (less chance of detonation) with regards to using pump gas while on the juice.

Lastly, you must keep in mind your plans for the car. With nitrous, you generally want a high C/R to obtain maximum power out of the shot. However, it's my understanding that a low C/R is generally recommended for boost.

Lots of things to think about, other than what I listed above. It's your car, so it's your job to do the necessary research. Keep us updated.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
mtm864

Thanks for the advice. Ive decided to go high compression on pump gas. Then when i get to the local track i mix 50/50 with race gas for spray and only spray when it got race gas in. I will be running 93 pump 100% of the time Daily Driving out of spray. any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd go with the high C/R, if you're going to DD it and still have fun. Just make sure you get a real nice tune if and when you decide to spray, especially for bigger shots. Always run race gas (I run straight 109, which is the highest unleaded fuel I can get at my tracks) when on the bottle.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 PM
mgrotel

i would have tried a happy medium on the compression cause it sounds as if your ultimate goal is turbo boost and you can put more boost to a lower compression motor. but maybe you will get addicted to the juice and forget about those turbo things, haha
Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
grudum

I have a related question. I'm in the process of rebuilding and would like to go with 11:1 for daily use, and eventually put a 100 shot in for thrills as I have made the decision to never go turbo. Would a 100 shot be safe on 11:1 built motor with pump gas, or would I have to up the octane still?

Where can I research this if there is no direct answer?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 PM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous loves high compression. But if you plan to go turbo, why not wait and build a good low compression bottom end for the boost? You don't want to do things twice, unless you have the pockets for the jobs.