Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Nitrous and Engine Wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:11 AM
c_buz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous and Engine Wear

I am planning on doing my nitrous install on my 350Z. Initially I wanted to do 100 shot. I decided that 75 might be a better and safer idea. After speaking with someone who has been drag racing and spraying 250 direct port on his 383 stroker, he told me that he would not recommend spraying nitrous. Sure, it will work for a while but your piston rings will get worn after a season of use. Any opinions on this?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 AM
MiracleAces

Not an opinion. It's a fact. Even a 75 shot will take its toll on your ride eventually.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
DFW Z33
I am salad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MiracleAces
Not an opinion. It's a fact. Even a 75 shot will take its toll on your ride eventually.
+1

its not the size of the shot that does it, its the fact that your engine is ingesting a chemical that some of its parts arent able to handle for long periods of time.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 AM
c_buz

Yeah that's what I thought. Well, I guess that puts an end to my Nitrous dreams. LOL! Anybody want a brand new Dynotune Wet Kit?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

sure, ill take it for 350 bucks.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
SSNOS

More wear and tear than just putting around town....Yes.

More wear and tear than driving hard and redlining all the time....No.

Depending on the shot and whether you have a good tune and nitrous delivery system, wear and tear is no more than driving it hard n/a. For those that have never run n2o, a 75 shot and under will only shave off a few tenths in the 1/4, it's not like what you see in the movies. 125+ shot and your butt dyno will start feeling some noticeable gains.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
c_buz

What about the issue of piston ring wear? I mean, I would be injecting extra fuel into the cylinder? What about nitrous making seals brittle?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

if youre not getting a serious tune and using a UTEC or other controller to gradually allow the nitrous to hit and only at wot and not at fuel cut etc.. its fine.
NOs is in itself not even flamable. its a molecualr supercharger.
Supers use engine crank parasitic force to turn a compressor to force aitr into the engine at greater than 1 atmposhere.
Turbos use exhaust pressure to do the same.. nos uses itself to bind more air molecules.
Same principle.

Either get a big engine that sucks more air naturally, or force more Air into what you got already. It all takes extra fuel.

The big diff w nitrous is that its ALL torque, and thats what breaks stuff. SO you need it to be controlled veeeeery safely.
Thats why you cant hit it at a stand still w out spinning a bearing.

I have a utec and all the lovely controllers...and unless you want to spend the same and get a wb afr, nitrous pressure gauges, a UTEC, or window switches, and a full tune as well .. you should consider selling me your kit for cheap because well, its the nice thing to do. haha,.jk .. kinda.

NOS done right (IMO) is 2k, not 500 bucks fer sure.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

and theres a million threads ( but a few in particular that someone has taken great length to compile) in the nitrous section.. id read em up my man,.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
ajcool2

If your that worried about hurting your engine than dont do it. I did it because I knew people that were spraying their vq35's religously and didnt have a problem. I sprayed a 75 shot untuned all last year and shaved more than a second off my time.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 AM
drivessidewayz

Originally Posted by bmccann101
if youre not getting a serious tune and using a UTEC or other controller to gradually allow the nitrous to hit and only at wot and not at fuel cut etc.. its fine.
NOs is in itself not even flamable. its a molecualr supercharger.
Supers use engine crank parasitic force to turn a compressor to force aitr into the engine at greater than 1 atmposhere.
Turbos use exhaust pressure to do the same.. nos uses itself to bind more air molecules.
Same principle.

Either get a big engine that sucks more air naturally, or force more Air into what you got already. It all takes extra fuel.

The big diff w nitrous is that its ALL torque, and thats what breaks stuff. SO you need it to be controlled veeeeery safely.
Thats why you cant hit it at a stand still w out spinning a bearing.

I have a utec and all the lovely controllers...and unless you want to spend the same and get a wb afr, nitrous pressure gauges, a UTEC, or window switches, and a full tune as well .. you should consider selling me your kit for cheap because well, its the nice thing to do. haha,.jk .. kinda.

NOS done right (IMO) is 2k, not 500 bucks fer sure.
^^This. Nitrous is no different from a Turbo or Supercharger and one could argue that it's safer due to only using it at limited times. Does anyone run s/c or turbo without a tune? No. Why would you run nitrous without a tune? Nitrous gets its bad name from people wanting to spend $400 and bolt something up for an extra 100hp; it doesn't work that way.

On a stock block you shouldn't spray below 4k rpms, especially with a larger shot. My 425 lbs/ft will break stuff soon, which is why I quit until my tune is redone as I originally requested.

Also, he's not kidding about 2k done right. That's about what you will wind up paying for the gauges, tune, kit, and controllers.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:00 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MiracleAces
Says who? I guess if you're splitting hairs, you're correct, but in reality, no it doesn't.
Originally Posted by DFW Z33
+1

its not the size of the shot that does it, its the fact that your engine is ingesting a chemical that some of its parts arent able to handle for long periods of time.
What chemicals, nitrous oxide (2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen) and fuel?
Originally Posted by SSNOS
More wear and tear than just putting around town....Yes.

More wear and tear than driving hard and redlining all the time....No.

Depending on the shot and whether you have a good tune and nitrous delivery system, wear and tear is no more than driving it hard n/a. For those that have never run n2o, a 75 shot and under will only shave off a few tenths in the 1/4, it's not like what you see in the movies. 125+ shot and your butt dyno will start feeling some noticeable gains.
I shaved more than a few tenths with my 75 shot (13.2 best n/a to 12.5 during testing).
Originally Posted by drivessidewayz
^^This. Nitrous is no different from a Turbo or Supercharger and one could argue that it's safer due to only using it at limited times. Does anyone run s/c or turbo without a tune? No. Why would you run nitrous without a tune? Nitrous gets its bad name from people wanting to spend $400 and bolt something up for an extra 100hp; it doesn't work that way.
I agree with you, especially regarding those who gives the rest of us nitrous folks a bad rep. BTW, I've had nitrous without a tune for years without a problem, although I don't spray all that often.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to run a 100 shot very regularly for over a year and had no issues at all (without a tune).
Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

alot of misinformation in this thread. 350 summed it up. Nitrous head here. Made 366/438 on a 150 shot when I was NA.

Built with twins and finally put the nitrous back online for the race car tune. Nothing, and I mean nothing gives the kick in the pants like nitrous. instant gradification...instant torque...instant smile.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money on mods...75-100 is perfect for the Z. 1500-2000 buck with all the nitrous accessories like window switch, heater, purge, blow down tube, etc...and you'll be fine. Retain stock gas mileage while not spraying and if you're not trigger happy...your car will last just fine.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

^ This and a huge +1 on the instant torque and instant smile.

Old School, any more info on your set up or even real life numbers?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 AM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Old School, any more info on your set up or even real life numbers?
+1.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:16 AM
mconklin

I have a zex wet kit, got all the goodies..ran me about 1k w/ the install, not counting my uprev. all said and done Im about 2k in..spray pretty fequently and have had no issues..blackstone oil analysis came back normal. Im at 70k miles. nitrous is an oxidiser. it allows your engine to burn more fuel..thats it. of course there is strain on moving parts but thats to be expected w/ any increase in power as significant as a 75 shot..but dont let the haters scare you..its not that bad if you do it right and put the dough in.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:32 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old School
If you don't want to spend a ton of money on mods...75-100 is perfect for the Z. 1500-2000 buck with all the nitrous accessories like window switch, heater, purge, blow down tube, etc...and you'll be fine. Retain stock gas mileage while not spraying and if you're not trigger happy...your car will last just fine.

I'm just asking these two questions because you're talking about the differences in doing it cheap vs doing it right:

1) Does it make sense to invest in a nano kit to insure that your pressures are always 100% dead on versus worrying with heaters, coolers, etc? Especially if running a specific nitrous tune to keep AFR from varying because of bottle pressure differences.

2) In addition to window & WOT switches, does it make sense to go with a dual/multi-stage on a stock block so that you don't end up with too much torque down low, but you still get a kick in the pants up high? Maybe a 25-50 hit @ 3500/4000 and another 75-100 hit @ 5000/5500?

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-08-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:35 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

1. NANO kits help you get your bottle to the appropriate pressure faster, it doesn't make it 100% dead on. If you've had the NANO kit on while the bottle got hotter (i.e., sun), it's possible that you might have to purge nitrous to get the pressure down so you can use it right away. Heat is the enemy of the NANO kit. The NANO, however, does help you squeeze a bit more consistent runs out than the traditional heater (because it can maintain correct pressure faster with low bottle content).
  2. Stock block can take 150 shot with a tune and may have done it without 2 stages or progressive controllers. Just start out with whatever shot you want, just don't spray that low on the rev range if you're worried.