Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

first time using the NANO kit tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 AM
juicinjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time using the NANO kit tonight...

well today i tried the NANO kit out with the 100hp nx jets for the first time. previously i had been running 75hp nx jets with 1 step colder plugs on -1 degree over stock timing. i ran the 100hp jets with and without the nano. the car IS definitely faster in third. i havent sprayed in fourth yet. first and second really feel about the same. the car is fast. the NANO supposedly flows 25% more nitrous than without it, so i upgraded the fuel jet. i am running a 52N/37F (as opposed to 33F). technically, i should be 50whp above where i was at with the 75 hp jets. the car is noticeably faster. im loving it! ive had a nx kit on most of the hot rods ive had... always with a bottle heater. i like this setup a lot better. you dont have to worry about it, watch a gauge. its set and forget... but in the summer the bottle pressure gets high and it renders the nano useless... im still trying to find something effective, other than the ice packs that come with the nano kit, to keep the bottle cool. any ideas here guys? ive heard a window shade or bottle blanket might help, but something tells me if it sits in the sun all day its gonna get hot no matter what. people that have used the nx fire and ice say it works better to maintain pressure than it does to cool the bottle down from say, 1200-1300psi.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

purge
Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 AM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juicinjake
well today i tried the NANO kit out with the 100hp nx jets for the first time. previously i had been running 75hp nx jets with 1 step colder plugs on -1 degree over stock timing. i ran the 100hp jets with and without the nano. the car IS definitely faster in third. i havent sprayed in fourth yet. first and second really feel about the same. the car is fast. the NANO supposedly flows 25% more nitrous than without it, so i upgraded the fuel jet. i am running a 52N/37F (as opposed to 33F). technically, i should be 50whp above where i was at with the 75 hp jets. the car is noticeably faster. im loving it! ive had a nx kit on most of the hot rods ive had... always with a bottle heater. i like this setup a lot better. you dont have to worry about it, watch a gauge. its set and forget... but in the summer the bottle pressure gets high and it renders the nano useless... im still trying to find something effective, other than the ice packs that come with the nano kit, to keep the bottle cool. any ideas here guys? ive heard a window shade or bottle blanket might help, but something tells me if it sits in the sun all day its gonna get hot no matter what. people that have used the nx fire and ice say it works better to maintain pressure than it does to cool the bottle down from say, 1200-1300psi.
pics of your setup or it didn't happen.

where do you go to get your nano refilled?

buy the ice pack you wrap around the bottle like a bottle heater. you can buy them at rite aid, cvs or walgreens you can freeze or heat it costs $10-$15.

vid of my nitrous runs with stepped PPE headers the delay when I launch was from the lowend drop.

http://youtu.be/GlZRggfvWVc

http://youtu.be/_Mmd8Cx59kk

Last edited by denchan350gt; 06-17-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM
juicinjake

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
purge
Yea that's the only good way to do it I think. I need to get my gauges and remote bottle opener wired up so I have some additional control.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 AM
juicinjake

Den-you haven't seen my Facebook pics? R u not on the v35 drivers group? I have several pics on there! I refill the nano kit at a paintball supply store... That's y I got the 3000psi kit. I knew they could do it there.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
denchan350gt

Den-you haven't seen my Facebook pics? R u not on the v35 drivers group? I have several pics on there! I refill the nano kit at a paintball supply store... That's y I got the 3000psi kit. I knew they could do it there.
no I haven't pm me the link on FB.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Yea that's the only good way to do it I think. I need to get my gauges and remote bottle opener wired up so I have some additional control.
Where do you have yours mounted? I went with this setup just so I'd still have room in my trunk for carrying stuff around. I realize that it would be better if the bottles were aimed towards the front of the car, but until I gut it for the cage, this was the best compromise that I could come up with.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM
juicinjake

i have a g35, so i put them in the trunk right above the stereo amp, mounted to the plastic cover there. its surprisingly stable! this way i can still use all the spare tire area and other side for storage! i dont have a photobucket or anything so i cant attach a picture.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 AM
denchan350gt

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Where do you have yours mounted? I went with this setup just so I'd still have room in my trunk for carrying stuff around. I realize that it would be better if the bottles were aimed towards the front of the car, but until I gut it for the cage, this was the best compromise that I could come up with.

Did you ever try yours? The 3k psi bottle is big. Seriously thinking about getting a Nano kit.

I have to look at JJ pics on how to mount in my G35.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:45 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

What you can do, if you are tech savy, to keep your bottle cool, get a peltier unit, they cool pretty damn well and get a 240mm fan. Run them to the wires that you had your warmer attached to if they are still there. What kit do you have, 3000psi or 4500psi? If you have the 4500, a bottle and the nano can fit in your glove box area if you want to redo your setup.

NANO is more beneficial in the higher gears, since the longer your spray with a standard warmer setup, the more psi you drop, thats why it doesn't really make that big of a deal in 1st and 2nd, since your psi is usually still pretty good, its when you continue to spray that you feel it.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 PM
juicinjake

Originally Posted by BakaN20
What you can do, if you are tech savy, to keep your bottle cool, get a peltier unit, they cool pretty damn well and get a 240mm fan. Run them to the wires that you had your warmer attached to if they are still there. What kit do you have, 3000psi or 4500psi? If you have the 4500, a bottle and the nano can fit in your glove box area if you want to redo your setup.

NANO is more beneficial in the higher gears, since the longer your spray with a standard warmer setup, the more psi you drop, thats why it doesn't really make that big of a deal in 1st and 2nd, since your psi is usually still pretty good, its when you continue to spray that you feel it.
honestly, i dont think there is anything i can do to keep the bottle cool in the summer heat here. peltier coolers take a long time to work and arent as effective as a massive ice pack wrapped around the bottle (which still takes a while to cool the bottle). i guess i just wont be able to use the bottle during the day. all my other kits were on drag cars that i ran on friday or saturday nights (bottles were stored inside too) so i never really ran into this problem before. i threw the ice packs that nano gave me on today while i was in class for two hours. it wasnt enough. i tried to purge repeatedly before i left school and couldnt get any liquid nitrous in the lines, it had all turned to gas already. pretty much drained my whole nano bottle in the process. its kind of a bummer. my pressure was low enough but the bottle (and therefore the gas) was too hot. i run it early in the morning or late and night and it hits hard. not really the nano system's fault or limitation, just part of the learning process. im going to refill both on thursday and try again later that evening when its cool.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 AM
denchan350gt

honestly, i dont think there is anything i can do to keep the bottle cool in the summer heat here. peltier coolers take a long time to work and arent as effective as a massive ice pack wrapped around the bottle (which still takes a while to cool the bottle). i guess i just wont be able to use the bottle during the day. all my other kits were on drag cars that i ran on friday or saturday nights (bottles were stored inside too) so i never really ran into this problem before. i threw the ice packs that nano gave me on today while i was in class for two hours. it wasnt enough. i tried to purge repeatedly before i left school and couldnt get any liquid nitrous in the lines, it had all turned to gas already. pretty much drained my whole nano bottle in the process. its kind of a bummer. my pressure was low enough but the bottle (and therefore the gas) was too hot. i run it early in the morning or late and night and it hits hard. not really the nano system's fault or limitation, just part of the learning process. im going to refill both on thursday and try again later that evening when its cool.
Cant you disconnect the nano bottle and spray without it and leave it in your house during the summer months or until you go to the track?

Bottle will be at room temp when you put it in the car.

Since it's hot enough outside to not need a bottle heater anyway.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
juicinjake

i can definitely turn the nano off by opening the trunk and shutting the valve. however, running the nitrous when its hot like that it never seems to hit like it does when there is liquid nitrous in the lines/bottle and it doesnt run smooth either. take into account that it flows less nitrous without the nano (~25%). the fuel jets are increased to account for this increase in flow, so im jetted SUPER rich if im not using it. i run a 52N/37F as opposed to a 33F jet. using the nano in conjunction with a good purge, the system hits hard and power delivery is smooth! the car is so much faster in third it surprises me. running it at the same power without the nano (and the 33F jet) it wasnt nearly this quick in third. that said it should feel stronger with 25 more rwhp on the nano. its a good system, but its just different than the conventional way of doing it. its definitely less forgiving in the heat of the summer months. despite this inconvenience that i havent yet figured out how to practically overcome yet, i still prefer it to the heater... the car simply runs better.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have the time, you can run multiple peltier units. Just daisy chain a whole bunch of them. If you have enough of them, I'm pretty sure they can cool your bottle in a jiffy. The one side should be ice cold, and the other super hot, so I don't see it being an issue of timing if you have enough of them, it would probably take as much time to bring it to optimal psi as a regular heater if you have enough peltiers. It would be a good diy project. That was my original plan to do. If a peltier is good enough to drop 10-20c off a cpu, i'm pretty sure it could cool your bottle if multiple ones are used.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

If you have the time, you can run multiple peltier units. Just daisy chain a whole bunch of them. If you have enough of them, I'm pretty sure they can cool your bottle in a jiffy. The one side should be ice cold, and the other super hot, so I don't see it being an issue of timing if you have enough of them, it would probably take as much time to bring it to optimal psi as a regular heater if you have enough peltiers. It would be a good diy project. That was my original plan to do. If a peltier is good enough to drop 10-20c off a cpu, i'm pretty sure it could cool your bottle if multiple ones are used.
I've been thinking about this same idea. It looks like someone even has a patent out with this design in mind: http://osdir.com/patents/Refrigerati...-06889513.html
Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 PM
juicinjake

i tell you what, ill give it a shot. i dont have a lot of time with summer classes but i have a week off inbetween that i can do something with. the reason they are so effective on cpu's though is bc the heat sinks are sealed in a shroud under the fan... so there is a lot of surface area there to work with. i think ill rig it up external to the car first and just run lines from the battery and test it with the car running on a hot day to see how it works. ive also been opening the back seat and turning the ac on... that helps, and works, but very slowly. liquid cooling on cpu's is very effective but i cant find a practical way to make that work right now. ud have to have copper coils around the bottle and lines, a pump and reservoir... thats overkill in my opinion. the peltier idea is much more practical.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:07 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

I wonder if I could make a peltier blanket somehow with something stretchy like lycra, using multiple peltier units all wired up and spaced out enough to have a decent sized heat sink on each one. I may order some stuff and give it a try as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 PM
juicinjake

the best idea ive had seems kinda hard to pull off, but i want to find a way to plumb the ac back to the trunk where i could close all the dash vents and it would push back there very effectively... then feed that line into some sort of dedicated fan that blows it right on the bottle. i want to get rid of my back seat, but no one makes a rear seat delete for the g35. it seems that it would be possible to feed this duct through the rear seat delete. blowing cold air onto the bottle would be a LOT more effective than trying to pull hot air off the bottle, i think.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:28 PM
denchan350gt

Rig something from your vents under the front seats to the trunk.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
juicinjake

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
Rig something from your vents under the front seats to the trunk.
thats what i was thinking... do they blow ac or just heat? where do they exit?

Quick Reply: first time using the NANO kit tonight...