Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

bouncing/porpoising on I-294 (part II)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 11:37 AM
sgraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My TransAm is rough but not like you are a bb in a bottle. Lots of people are very unhappy. I wish I hadn't bought this car. The ride quality is terrible.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:37 AM
luke4me1st

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Who was your salesman at Continental??? I got my Z there too.
Jorge S. how long did you have yours so far?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:41 AM
luke4me1st

Originally posted by sgraham
My TransAm is rough but not like you are a bb in a bottle. Lots of people are very unhappy. I wish I hadn't bought this car. The ride quality is terrible.

I understand you it is bad, I just didn't have that issue on other roads @ least not yet. Plus i only have to ride on 294 for the next couple months and after that my department is moving downtown or Joliet.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:48 AM
luke4me1st

To those that didn't have the 294 experiance here is an explenation of how bad it is: today i was driving on 294 and my breasts were jumping up and down, the bad part is that im a guy and for 6'2 i only weight 180 !!! lol
Old 02-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Zcaraholic

I am not familiar with any of those roads but definitely have noticed the "bouncing" since I got my Z on Jan 30th. So, I tried the weight trick mentioned in a thread I read somewhere. I added sand bags totalling about 200 lbs in the back. It's great so far. No more bouncing, much smoother ride. I'm going to leave it there for a while and see if the springs loosen up. However, if they don't I may need to put in some stronger shocks to match the springs. I'll be needing to replace those sand bags with golf clubs pretty soon!
Old 02-27-2003, 12:45 PM
happypants

Originally posted by Zcaraholic
I am not familiar with any of those roads but definitely have noticed the "bouncing" since I got my Z on Jan 30th. So, I tried the weight trick mentioned in a thread I read somewhere. I added sand bags totalling about 200 lbs in the back. It's great so far. No more bouncing, much smoother ride. I'm going to leave it there for a while and see if the springs loosen up. However, if they don't I may need to put in some stronger shocks to match the springs. I'll be needing to replace those sand bags with golf clubs pretty soon!
How much space do the sand bags take up in the hatch? Can you still see out the back window??
Old 02-27-2003, 12:55 PM
sgraham

The 200lbs can't be great for performance but, if that solves the problem, terrific. I had read that fix prior and haven't tried it myself yet. The guys at Gerald Nissan service put 80lbs in the hatch and it didn't work. Maybe more weight is why. Of course this means I have to get the F1 kit to go to 360HP with the savings on fixing the suspension myself. ha ha ha
Old 02-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Zcaraholic

I had three bags that weigh between 65 and 70 lbs each. They don't take up that much room and visibility is fine. I cover them with an old gray army blanket and they're not really that noticeable. Not that I want to do this for a long time. However, it does remind me of my pickup truck that was also very bouncy at first but smoothed out after a while and a few loads of gravel, mulch, furniture, etc. Anyway, before the sand I almost got car sick it was so bouncy, now it's no problem at all now so I can just focus on driving. And this is a really great car to drive!
Old 02-27-2003, 04:52 PM
geneva

Default porpoising

Porpoising is a good word for it. It's really bad on 355 in some spots. Ibought mine at Gerald as well and will be the fourth complaint they get. Ive got the Brickyard Touring with Arelli rims.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:25 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys...I now have 3500 miles on my Z....and for the first 1500 the bouncing and porpoising on 355 and 294 was really bad. Enough to make me near sick a couple times and I don't have a weak stomach. Now it's smoothed out so much that I hardly even notice it any more. Maybe it just takes the suspension a couple thousand miles to break in fully...
Old 03-01-2003, 05:26 PM
ZGrrrl

Hey guys,

I am getting the same boob bounce that Luke4 speaks of earlier....
Only problem is that I am a chick and if they don't have a fix for this soon my t!t$ are going to be in my lap So somebody tell me whether I should switch out my shocks or throw a couple dead bodies in back

2003 350Z touring Super Black all goodies stock4now

1997 VW GTI, black, chip, Borla full cat ss, Koni adjust, neuspeed sport, 4pt schroth, 17 TSW Revo, Yoko paradas, KNN, clear corners, rear altezzas

1980 Vespa P200E, orig silver(I stripped/painted blue), rebuilt carb rejetted, JL high performance exhaust,
Old 03-01-2003, 05:38 PM
ZGrrrl

Oopsie,

forgot to add 6mt to the stat board...

and made Mike Manns from Continental Nissan a happy camper when I came in to purchase my Black beauty at 8:57 pm on January 31st (got salesdude of the month by a half car over Jorge for my sale) teeheehee

have had 1 month current odometer 1,147

thank God it is past break in....I couldn't live with myself any longer if I had to short shift and keep it under 85....it was simply torture

Janee'
Old 03-02-2003, 02:54 PM
simstad

As an civil engineer and Z owner, and having drove 294 for the first time yesterday, bad news in the Z, I can tell you that this only happens on the concrete portions of 294. Quick reason, concrete is not a flexible material, asphalt is. When frost heaving occurs the asphalt can accomodate the slight inconsistencies in the underlying road base, concrete cannot. That's why concrete is used less in the northern climates than in the southern climates, that and the salt corrodes the reiforcing bars in the concrete. But, I thoroughly enjoyed looking over at my girlfriend as we cruised down 294 through the concrete portions of the road. I have not experienced this over any other concrete roads in IL, WI, or IN, so I think it is exclusive to this tollway.

Try a sports bra on 294, maybe it'll help?
Old 03-02-2003, 04:49 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by ZGrrrl
Oopsie,

forgot to add 6mt to the stat board...

and made Mike Manns from Continental Nissan a happy camper when I came in to purchase my Black beauty at 8:57 pm on January 31st (got salesdude of the month by a half car over Jorge for my sale) teeheehee

have had 1 month current odometer 1,147

thank God it is past break in....I couldn't live with myself any longer if I had to short shift and keep it under 85....it was simply torture

Janee'
I'm suprised Steve Serafino wasn't up in the one or two spot...he gets salesman of the month nearly every month at Continental...he was my salesdude for the second time (I also bought my maxima from him).
Old 03-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Zcaraholic

To ZGrrrl, based on my experience with the 200lbs sand (see post above), I think you would only need one dead body to do the trick, but this would only be a short term solution and I think the smell would be bad after a while, ie, there goes the new car smell! But this problem is not limited to 294, it's a problem all over. But the sand's working great so I'm just going to wait and see...
Old 03-03-2003, 10:06 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Zcaraholic
To ZGrrrl, based on my experience with the 200lbs sand (see post above), I think you would only need one dead body to do the trick, but this would only be a short term solution and I think the smell would be bad after a while, ie, there goes the new car smell! But this problem is not limited to 294, it's a problem all over. But the sand's working great so I'm just going to wait and see...
I've only had the problem on 294 and 355...absolutely nowhere else...and the bounce on those two roads in my car with 3500 miles on it is nearly gone.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:19 AM
luke4me1st

I did notice that the proble seems to be going away slowly, at 1.5k miles on my car there is still some boob bouncing, but its not that bad anymore. So it might completly go away hopefully. I'll try to keep every one posted on the boob bouncing issues on a daily issues.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:26 AM
ZGrrrl

Well guys,
It's great to hear that after 3K I can downgrade from full support to light support....Anyway, shoot, a day late dollar short...I just read the post on the "get together" in Schaumburg and Downers...It would have been fun to hang out and hear you guys compare boob bounce with the chicks at Hooters.. teeheehee...
Well I can hardly wait for the next shindig...it should be a hoot!

Janee'
Old 03-03-2003, 10:33 AM
luke4me1st

yea,

I was gona stop by there too, to lead the boob bouncing discusion, but unfortunatly I stayed out way to late the night b4 and didnt wake up till 2. But i promise that i will not miss the next get together since i was looking towards the discussion of boob theory.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:44 AM
happypants

This "boob bouncing" may be a safety issue, if they're large enough and you're not wearing a seatbelt, you could get whapped in the face!!!

Make sure you wear your seatbelt!!!

Quick Reply: bouncing/porpoising on I-294 (part II)