Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

DETROIT Z (meets and events)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skingy
so.... my car finally threw the CEL. no big deal - thanks so much brian for the non-foulers.... and dude, let me give you something for them.
PM me your addy and I'll send the other side when I take it off. LOL. I don't want anything for them. I would have chucked them in the trash if someone local didn't need 'em. I'm just happy you can use it. Hopefully they won't point down like they did on my test pipes.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
AznSky

This is awesome having so many Z's in the area, and especially since everybody's cool as hell to hangout with.

FYI for those interested in the Autox in 2 weeks:

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=10186

My gf and I are signed up already. Great way to push your car safely.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 AM
amsyed84

Originally Posted by skingy
hey, at least you tried. that's all you can do... it's appreciated. i'm tapped out at the moment.... my next install will be an exhaust system (maybe later this summer), and next year i'll be getting wheels. then...dropped, and an alignment. i can't swing all of that sooner, though.

so.... my car finally threw the CEL. no big deal - thanks so much brian for the non-foulers.... and dude, let me give you something for them.

AND.... spent about 3 hours yesterday washing and detailing my car. didn't pay attention to the forecast. then i woke up to this white crap all over........... UGH.

thanks again to everyone who helped - and rob, never did thank you for the 'za. you rock.
WOW Snow good thing i got an after market snow plow on my Z

Time to get to work
Old 04-06-2009, 07:41 AM
lbk16

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Honestly, most shops would not like for you to work in their garage. He's just covering his backside. He wants to generate some sales, get some exposure, etc. He has mechanics who make money doing repairs. Can't make anything if we are using their lifts and doing it ourselves. As for tools, quite often they don't belong to the shop. Instead they belong to the mechanic.

So don't get too upset. My suggestion instead ...
Arrange for a meet at his place. Installs are OK so long as the car is on the ground. (No working underneath for insurance reasons. The lot is just like being in the shop.) We can still do engine bay mods like plenum spacers or exterior mods. The rest is a chance to shine up the cars and have something of a show.

As for any heavier work, Ali was needing his headers installed. Maybe he'd want to have them do it for a discount. We can watch how the mechanic does it so we can all learn something. I'm going to need an alignment for sure and I will already have it lowered with adjustable toe and camber arms. This would be a good tech session for the mechanic to do for us.

Not sure what other services they do. If they have a dyno, maybe someone would do a dyno tune.

There's a lot of potential in this. I'd start a new thead on this after working out some of the idea with them. Keep in mind they need to get something out of the deal.
Car show & shine = People passing by may stop in to check out the rides.
Tech Session = We all learn from them and they build a relationship with the club.
Tech Session = Mechanic gets some extra work and the shop gets dedicated rack time.

Let's take baby steps with them and do things cautiously. I think after a few good events, maybe they will open up the lifts so long and he trusts us.
All good points -- its just that the owner and I are personal friends. I was hoping he might be willing to do me a favor -- but I totally understand his position.

He was very amenable to a meet at his shop. He does not have a dyno (wish he did), but he has a full body shop, paint booth, wheel and tire mounting and balancing, allignment rack, etc. We could probably work out discounted labor rates...in fact, I am almost sure about that. I will start a new thread.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by AznSky
This is awesome having so many Z's in the area, and especially since everybody's cool as hell to hangout with.

FYI for those interested in the Autox in 2 weeks:

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=10186

My gf and I are signed up already. Great way to push your car safely.
Thanks Rob, I was just about to send a PM about the same.
Now, I have never done this. So do I directly go drive there or should I get some sort of instructor session before this?

What would be the class for my car?
I am currently reading THIS but would be helpful if someone already knew the answer.

Last edited by mekatoka; 04-06-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added Car class question
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
AznSky

Originally Posted by mekatoka
Thanks Rob, I was just about to send a PM about the same.
Now, I have never done this. So do I directly go drive there or should I get some sort of instructor session before this?

What would be the class for my car?
I am currently reading THIS but would be helpful if someone already knew the answer.
Yeah you just go there and drive. No instructor session needed. Of course if you want you can probably get a ride with somebody, or I can even give you a ride to see how it's done. But yeah, sign up, go there, and I'll be there to explain more in detail.

Since you're completely stock, you'd be in TBS (Street tire B-stock)

edit: Forgot, the only thing that you would "need" would be a helmet. But they have loaners there for you to borrow. And I can bring a head sock for you cuz I have extra.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 AM
mekatoka

Default Registered for the event

Originally Posted by AznSky

Since you're completely stock, you'd be in TBS (Street tire B-stock)

edit: Forgot, the only thing that you would "need" would be a helmet. But they have loaners there for you to borrow. And I can bring a head sock for you cuz I have extra.
I have registered for the event in SS and left a note to registrar to check my class, I am all excited

I thought it was SS-HS based on the document. It says completely stock falls under there.

What is the difference between SS-HS and TBS?
Also in the selection SS and HS are two different options?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by thekinn
Those are very nice wheels. Do you have a trusted tire installer? I wouldn't dare just take them to any old Discount Tire or Belle Tire - they don't give a crap about your wheels. Belle Tire f--ked up my Work wheels - that's how I ended up with Rotas.

I took my Rotas to Auto Europe (with an appointment) and they did a great job of installing tires..

Maybe some other people here also have recommended tire installers?
How much did they charge you for the alignment at Auto Europe? I am wondering if I should get a lifetime alignment package at Birdgestone?

There are threads on this issue in the NISMO section where if you let them know before hand they will be careful enough. Also, there was a case where some guy's wheel was scratched at a chain tire store (forgot which one it was) and the company paid to get the wheel's re-coated to factory finish.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
lbk16

If I were you -- I would try the AutoX with your stock alignment first, just to get an idea of what it is like. Then, if you like it and want to continue, you should think about a performance alignment, etc. I am sure (not that I have searched) that there are plenty of recommended alignment settings for NISMOs.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:33 AM
mekatoka

I wasn't taking about a performance alignment but an alignment in general. I haven't had that done so far, my car is up for a service pretty soon (100 miles). May be I will get it done at the dealer. I guess Steve was mentioning a performance alignment then.

However, there is no guarantee that the dealer won't scratch them.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM
blueper4mancez

Originally Posted by amsyed84
WOW Snow good thing i got an after market snow plow on my Z

Time to get to work
since you have the cwest long nose , wanna sell me your stock front bumper , i cracked the heck out of mine .
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
blueper4mancez

for wheels mounting guys just make sure to ask the manager there if they do reverse lip mount . i have 3 sets of volks mounted before and always have good luck with discount tires . if you guys want a truely good alignment , check out vr performance , they do high end stuff . alignment is done by strings and laser meters , they also do corner balancing. etc... if you want some more info pls pm me .
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
mekatoka

Default How to join DCSCC ?

Ok, according to THIS link, you pay 21$ if CCM member, 25$ if DCSCC and 29$ if not affiliated to any club.

DCSCC does not have any info on joining the club. How does one do that?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
AznSky

Ok, according to THIS link, you pay 21$ if CCM member, 25$ if DCSCC and 29$ if not affiliated to any club.

DCSCC does not have any info on joining the club. How does one do that?
See here for MSCC sign-up (they do a lot of events at belle isle, but don't allow passengers):

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131055

DCSCC sign-up I'd have to look, they cover MSCC events and CCM events.

But honestly, since it's your first season, just run some autox's before you join the club. And change your class to TBS.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

How much did they charge you for the alignment at Auto Europe? I am wondering if I should get a lifetime alignment package at Birdgestone?

There are threads on this issue in the NISMO section where if you let them know before hand they will be careful enough. Also, there was a case where some guy's wheel was scratched at a chain tire store (forgot which one it was) and the company paid to get the wheel's re-coated to factory finish.
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about having tires mounted on his new Volk wheels (I think I said 'tire installer').. I meant tire mounting to wheel. I think it cost me a little over $100 to have all 4 tires mounted and balanced.

An alignment is an entirely different thing pertaining to your suspension. If you haven't changed anything with your suspension - you probably do not need an alignment. Unless your car is pulling to the left or right - or something doesn't feel right - you do not need an alignment.

After I changed out my springs (which lowered the car) I had an alignment done at Boyland Nissan of Macomb.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Phreakdout

I think Deepu was correct meaning an alignment. Notice the fixture attached to the wheel in order to measure the alignment. If not careful, you could see scratches happen.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
blackturbog35

I always get my Wheels and Tires from my friend name Chris. He is a Manager at Discount tire shop in Ann Arbor MI on Washtenaw Ave. Alot of you guys might already knw him. His GF use to own a 350z.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by blackturbog35
I always get my Wheels and Tires from my friend name Chris. He is a Manager at Discount tire shop in Ann Arbor MI on Washtenaw Ave. Alot of you guys might already knw him. His GF use to own a 350z.
He's on A2SCC isn't he? His GF is Misha or something like that?

I'm looking into having my tires removed, wheels powdercoated at Exotic Coatings in Romulus and remounted and balanced. I may hit him up for the jobs.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by thekinn
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about having tires mounted on his new Volk wheels (I think I said 'tire installer').. I meant tire mounting to wheel. I think it cost me a little over $100 to have all 4 tires mounted and balanced.

An alignment is an entirely different thing pertaining to your suspension. If you haven't changed anything with your suspension - you probably do not need an alignment. Unless your car is pulling to the left or right - or something doesn't feel right - you do not need an alignment.

After I changed out my springs (which lowered the car) I had an alignment done at Boyland Nissan of Macomb.

Yep, my bad. I got it mixed with the meet at Motorwerks that we were planning for. My car is fine on the alignment for now but I will be changing the rear tires in the next few days as one of them had a nail and it was patched last year. Don't want the tire blowing out on me.

Last edited by mekatoka; 04-06-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
skingy

hey guys, i just went through and organized my toolbox (sockets), and saw i seem to be missing 3 craftsman sockets. no big deal - we were all mixing and matching tools to the the jobs done. it's nothing to replace them... just thought i'd check to see if someone had extras first.

i'm missing:
- 14mm deep well socket (3/8" drive)
- 14mm regular socket (3/8" drive)
- 17mm regular socket (1/2" drive)

if you could check for extras the next time you're around your tools, i'd appreciate it. if not - again, no big deal.

Quick Reply: DETROIT Z (meets and events)