Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

DETROIT Z (meets and events)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Install list:

Ansky (Rob)
- Crawford High Flow Cats
- Hotchkis FR/RR Swaybar
- Powergrid Endlinks
- Motordyne Plenum Spacer

Skingy
- Test Pipes

lbk16
- Plenum Spacer

Zminus1
- foulers

young Jee(Z)
- Stance Coilovers

amsyed84
- JWT PopCharger
- Megan Y Pipe
- Megan Racing Headers

PhreakdOut
- Stillen Upper Rear Chassis Brace
- Replace O2 non-Foulers with 90 degree type
Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 AM
AznSky

whoa.......dude you gotta invite me over haha!

amsyed I don't think we'll be able to do headers in 1 day.

And coffee and donuts on me for those who show up early!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by AznSky

I think you're the only one in my area. So you're always welcome.

I agree on the headers. It's not so easy when you're not in your own garage and half the tools you need are still at home. Add on the pressure to get it done before you have to leave. I think he'd better host a Mod party at his place just in case.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Datona Jess

Headers, no way
You need an engine hoist to rock the motor to get the bolts on the back cylinder.

That is an all day project.
Mike K (shifty) had a tech do it, and it took him 6 hours AT HIS SHOP

Brian-AWESOME Theater by the way, Novi is close enough!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM
amsyed84

Yea i was just about to say that too. I checked it out today and man its hard to get under there i think i might have to get it done by a shop.

Got my JWT PopCharger in today but there's no intake pipe.. all it came with was the filter and the heat shield i guess it attaches to the stock system.

Still waiting on the Y pipe

Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
AznSky

Hey guys, so I just want to make sure I have everything I'll need for the install:

- Crawford High Flow Cats (new cat/header gaskets, will re-use cat/exhaust gaskets. Also got locktite and anti-seize)
- Hotchkis FR/RR Swaybar (Do i need any grease or something? I remember we put something on Steve's bushings when we installed his swaybars)
- Powergrid Endlinks
- Motordyne Plenum Spacer (everything comes with the parts, skingy will bring the in-lb torque wrench)

Anything else I need besides the actual parts themselves, my tools, my torque wrench, and torque specs?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Phreakdout

Hey guys, so I just want to make sure I have everything I'll need for the install:

- Crawford High Flow Cats (new cat/header gaskets, will re-use cat/exhaust gaskets. Also got locktite and anti-seize)
- Hotchkis FR/RR Swaybar (Do i need any grease or something? I remember we put something on Steve's bushings when we installed his swaybars)
- Powergrid Endlinks
- Motordyne Plenum Spacer (everything comes with the parts, skingy will bring the in-lb torque wrench)

Anything else I need besides the actual parts themselves, my tools, my torque wrench, and torque specs?
> Anti-seize is for aluminum right?
> I recommend the appropriate grease for the bushings on the sway bars. (Silicone gel type) Should cut down on squeaking noises.
> I don't think I've ever used an in/lb torque wrench. I admire the dedication but snug fit with the 3/8 wrench should be just fine. After a while, you get used to how much pressure is around 25#s.
> On my plenum, I used the ATV Copper gasket material to seal the regular gasket. One small air leak = redo everything. Same material is also used on the exhaust. It's overkill but it's also insurance.
> Get penetrant spray. The night before, jack the car up and spray every bolt that you are going to tackle. Esp if you drove the Z in winter. Hit it again on Sat morning.
> Bring a breaker bar and or a cheater bar (tube to slide over the wrench.) Just in case the sway bar bolts to the chassis are stubborn.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
Headers, no way
You need an engine hoist to rock the motor to get the bolts on the back cylinder.

That is an all day project.
Mike K (shifty) had a tech do it, and it took him 6 hours AT HIS SHOP

Brian-AWESOME Theater by the way, Novi is close enough!!!
Thanks for the compliments. I did all the work myself. Just a little trim work left. You guys will have to come over sometime. Maybe the next trip I make to China, I'll bring back the new F&F movie. Blu-Rays for $3 with all the factory packaging. LOL.

No hoist is needed. Disconnect one engine mount and jack up the engine using the floor jack and wood. Then you need someone with small hands. Not me, my paws are Shrek-sized.

No doubt it's a big job. This one is best for when the owner is hosting the mod party.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 AM
AznSky

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
> Anti-seize is for aluminum right?
> I recommend the appropriate grease for the bushings on the sway bars. (Silicone gel type) Should cut down on squeaking noises.
> I don't think I've ever used an in/lb torque wrench. I admire the dedication but snug fit with the 3/8 wrench should be just fine. After a while, you get used to how much pressure is around 25#s.
> On my plenum, I used the ATV Copper gasket material to seal the regular gasket. One small air leak = redo everything. Same material is also used on the exhaust. It's overkill but it's also insurance.
> Get penetrant spray. The night before, jack the car up and spray every bolt that you are going to tackle. Esp if you drove the Z in winter. Hit it again on Sat morning.
> Bring a breaker bar and or a cheater bar (tube to slide over the wrench.) Just in case the sway bar bolts to the chassis are stubborn.
anti-seize is for the 02 sensors.
Which would be the appropriate grease for the bushings? I guess I'll have to go look. Any recommendations?
And ATV Copper gasket is a good choice? I"ll have to go see if the auto store carries it.
I dont' think we'll be having any problems with stuck bolts on my car. It only has 14k miles and has seen rain total maybe 10 times lol. But yes, I will bring a breaker bar.

Thanks for the tips!!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 AM
skingy

And ATV Copper gasket is a good choice? I"ll have to go see if the auto store carries it.
don't worry about the copper gasket - i have a full unopened tube of that, plus ultra gray RTV silicone gasket, which is made for high torque applications. i'll bring both.

and.... the in-lb. torque wrench is being delivered today.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Datona Jess

You guys and your torque wrench...

Brian, I don't know I have done that method for headers on a buddy's LS1 Camaro, and it was a tight fit getting in there, I do not have the hands for it, luckily he did...

Bluerays in there must be awesome, the darker the better thats for sure!!

Man we have alot of stuff to get done in one day....
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 AM
AznSky

Originally Posted by skingy
don't worry about the copper gasket - i have a full unopened tube of that, plus ultra gray RTV silicone gasket, which is made for high torque applications. i'll bring both.

Sweet!! You can have extra donuts and coffee if you want haha.

Thanks dude!

Aj don't worry I'll get started on my car once I get there
Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Rob - other Stuff to bring -
-AJ mentioned socket sets.
-Gloves
-Rags
-Goggles/Safety glasses
-I'll bring my 2x10 ramps
-others have said they would bring extra jack stands
-For those working under the hood, do you have/want to bring something to protect your paint while leaning under the hood?
-Wheel lock keys, if you have wheel locks

..and I'm bringing my suction gun for you to borrow.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by skingy

LOL - I was going to bring mine as well. I always have a new tube on the peg board. That stuff is awesome. I haven't tried the grey. What high torque application needs sealant? Usually, I use the copper for high temp and especially for anything upstream from an O2 sensor.

For gloves, I'm stopping by Harbor Freight and picking up a box of 100 latex mechanics gloves. I'm all out right now. It's the best thing to keep the hands clean. Even my Mechanics gloves are now grease soaked.

Steve: What ramps did you end up with? You know which ones I have since I bought them from you. Do yours have better clearance? [EDIT] 2x10 ramps - LOL Made from 2x10 boards. Duh! Brain fart on my part.

AJ, how is the driveway? Is it pretty flat or kind of steep? I'm just thinking about these guys jacking cars up on your property. So everyone remember a piece of wood to chalk the tires from rolling.

BTW: If your car drips anything or you are spraying bolt penetrant, be kind to the host and bring some cardboard boxes to cut up and lay flat under the car. I'd hate to see the driveway marked up.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
skingy

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
You guys and your torque wrench...
hey! if you're going to do something... do it right! lol.

LOL - I was going to bring mine as well. I always have a new tube on the peg board. That stuff is awesome. I haven't tried the grey. What high torque application needs sealant? Usually, I use the copper for high temp and especially for anything upstream from an O2 sensor.
the ultra gray is 'designed for high torque load applications' and 'exceeds import manufacturer's performance requirements'. it's also high temp (625 degrees). it's what z1 recommended i use when i called to ***** them out, lol. my car sounded like a stuck pig was under the hood after i installed their spacer...i had to take it out. one of their techs recommended the gray RTV... or, i could send it back and they'd send me one that would seal correctly. and i got a $25 voucher for a future z1 order for my troubles.... WHOOO boy.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
blackturbog35

Hey Guys I wont be able to make it due to am out of town but was Wondering if someone is looking to buy an ARC HIGH CAPACITY OIL PAN. I used it for 600 miles but had to change it due to APS EXTREME KIT comes with one. I paid $700 bought it from MYNISMO (Andy) sold it to me and willing to let it go for $375.00. Let me knw if anyone is interested. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by blackturbog35
Hey Guys I wont be able to make it due to am out of town but was Wondering if someone is looking to buy an ARC HIGH CAPACITY OIL PAN. I used it for 600 miles but had to change it due to APS EXTREME KIT comes with one. I paid $700 bought it from MYNISMO (Andy) sold it to me and willing to let it go for $375.00. Let me knw if anyone is interested. Thank you.
Sweet deal - Good luck on that. Sorry to miss hookin up.

Just curious, Were you on I-275 southbound around Novi this afternoon. (About 245pm) There was a sharp Black G on the road. I could stay back and check it out. I had a 3pm meeting in Canton so I had to boogy down the road.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:25 AM
blackturbog35

Ty Man and yeah I wish I could have come to the Mod party.

No buddy Am in Atlanta for the weekend plus my car is in the Shop getting Aps Extreme Kit installed and engine built at z1.
Sweet deal - Good luck on that. Sorry to miss hookin up.

Just curious, Were you on I-275 southbound around Novi this afternoon. (About 245pm) There was a sharp Black G on the road. I could stay back and check it out. I had a 3pm meeting in Canton so I had to boogy down the road.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Zminus1

I have to drop out of the mod party for this sat. my gf is shooting her film in rochester and the break in the weather gives us the chance to do all of the outdoor scenes. so i get to be executive producer/ assist director.

if you guys are going to go out after post where/when. I live across the street from ford field and all of the final four parties/bars will be crazy.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Datona Jess

Kris,
I never knew you were into **** directing...

Good for you man!!!

Quick Reply: DETROIT Z (meets and events)