Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Minnesota Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blueVQ
welcome new guy. I skipped all mods and went directly to s/c I dynod 246 rwhp stock and put the 6lb pulley on and got 350.6 rwhp. I can still go down two more pulley sizes but honestly I dont care to. Do a little suspension work, get some nice wheels. And take your car on the track once. Ull find its a blast to drive and does just fine. Ive kinda grown out of the whole being the fastest car on the road stage. They are just nice, well put together cars and dont even need mods to enjoy them. Do whatevef mods u want. Who cares what anyone else thinks. You can figure it out. Aaron is definately the one to go to for tech questions. But just dont ask his opinion because he will be blunt with you..haha. Besides, im starting to think he has no z. ..... Havnt seen it in two years. ..... Aaron, what do you have, like negative 2000 miles on your car now? Lol

My car can only be driven when the weather is decent.... which is the same damn time as when I have to work. Last two yrs have not been good to me in terms of driving time. I get done working. take the car up to the store and drive home. hard to really go any further when I have corn and pepper plants that need to be babysat

I did break 20k miles on the car in 2010.... but at the end of 2008 it had 17,900 miles. 2008 was my yr though, put almost 6k on it that yr
Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by textherex
Well, I paid for the Warrenty... plus, I work on Cars all day hoesntly the last thing I want to do is to work on mine because I broke it. I had to do that with my turbo civic, I got so tired of working on it til midnight so that I could drive it to work the next day. So, I am at the point where I will let someone else handle it for now and save me the pain, plus for 50 bucks, I am getting a new tranny through warrenty(nissan doesn't rebuild trannys they just replace them), new struts in the front because they are leaking, new shifter and a new clutch on top of everything, I don't have to install any of it. So, I would say it is worth it.
I understand you intentions, and yes I will agree with you alot of Dealership techs no nothing outside of Diag and Repair.
And for the build, I don't plan on N/A I am really sorry if I have given the impression that I will piece this together over time. I plan on doing my research and knowing what I want to do, then doing it. Not going do the road like I did with my civic going through gsr tranny after tranny.

I am really not a dick.... really I'm not.

I can be an acquired taste online, but I like to think I wouldn't post anything here I wouldn't say to a person face to face - whether that is true, I guess I don't know..

I can appreciate paying someone else to work on my car. I enjoy doing the wrenching to some degree, but not as much anymore. fortunately I have a good resource that I can call when I need 'help'
Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
blueVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn mitsu's.......
Old 02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Travis, maybe you should buy all my nitrous goodies that are brand new and have the fastest on the road
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Btw whats up new guy....everyone here is mn nice, of course.....I am currently rocking the 99 maxima SE after my SHO met an untimely end @100+ recently....long story, the max is good to me overall....did the warpspeed y pipe, magnaflow cats and monza cat back, sounds like a f'n small block chevy, Dare I say almost sounds not nicer, but more refined than my Z setup!

And yes dave, i will get pics of it up soon.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How much did you want for the nitrous goodies again?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:45 PM
textherex

Thanks for the Welcomes and Aaron, naw it is cool, no harm no fool you know? Besides I can come off as an arrogant *******... wait, I AM! I had my BMW meet a timely death against a guardrail at 40mph, poped two air bags which the insurance company said that it costs 2.5k per air bag, so it got totaled out. A taurus up to 100+ I don't care what is under the hood is a BAD idea, I work for ford. Taurus's were not meant to be driven past 10 mph. Although the new 11 SHO twin turbo ecoboost thing is rather impressive. I like Max's I would love to have one as my side car. And Blue, I am leaning to S/C the more I read, cost is better for me as well as what I am looking to do. I know there is a Vortec kit out there as well as the Stillen kit.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:01 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe hks also makes a kit and possibly procharger. I would stay away from stillen, you have to buy their ugly hood for the kit to fit.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
How much did you want for the nitrous goodies again?
Paid $185 plus shipping for remote bottle opener (baller)
Gauge $40 plus shipping
Blow down tube, is somewhere, that was $30 i think.
Bottle warmer remote $80 or something?

I'm open on pricing, but its all still brand new in box!

I Know theres more, the full zex kit, mutual friend still has,he never ran it, and I think he wants $350 or some thing? I can ask.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Yeah it was a Cosworth V8, i hate refrring to it as a Ford, but ehhhh.....It was prob closer to 129 (mumms the word, I am just hapoy they put me back together and I am alive) and several rolls, plus no F'n airbags went off, thank you very little Ford.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
textherex

Originally Posted by Stock2Autocrozz
Yeah it was a Cosworth V8, i hate refrring to it as a Ford, but ehhhh.....It was prob closer to 129 (mumms the word, I am just hapoy they put me back together and I am alive) and several rolls, plus no F'n airbags went off, thank you very little Ford.
Glad you are live and well.. just I did say not over 10mph... anything over that well, I think we all know now.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Originally Posted by textherex
Glad you are live and well.. just I did say not over 10mph... anything over that well, I think we all know now.
Yeah, i had the lil bish back tuned to where it was b4 ford detuned it bc it was killing their cobras, and of course they couldnt have that! Funny thing is i work in psychiatry and neurology, so it is odd being on the other side of MRI Ct's and brain scans after trauma.....but it has also taught my students, as well as myself, a lot of things......the body roll in that car was immense, and I knew that tire needed attention....simple ,aintenance, and slowing my roll pun intended would have prevented it, tire burst, rim caved.....I went into low orbit....but, as stated I clearly didn't Earnhardt myself very grateful on that note!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
you have a lot to learn. cams will not be worth the hassle.... basically any n/a bolt on isn't worth the trouble beyond looks and sound. You just don't get much out bolt-ons.

doing cams is 2/3 the way to building the motor. much too much work for maybe 15hp
It depends on your point of view, Mr. 500hp....lol

If I could gain 30hp from cams, exhaust, tune, etc then I'd be happy. I think the cost of it would hurt at first, but over time I think it would be worth it. I'd be happy with 275whp.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
Dave what are you doing next weekend??? If you're not busy mind if I swing over and bring some of my home made brew??
Oh, yeah! Definitely! I've got a bday party to go to Saturday night, and Tara has her book club thing on Sunday afternoon. Maybe we could get together Saturday afternoon?
Originally Posted by Zivman
I am really not a dick.... really I'm not.

I can be an acquired taste online, but I like to think I wouldn't post anything here I wouldn't say to a person face to face - whether that is true, I guess I don't know..

I can appreciate paying someone else to work on my car. I enjoy doing the wrenching to some degree, but not as much anymore. fortunately I have a good resource that I can call when I need 'help'
Acquired taste.

FWIW, Aaron's not a dick.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
It depends on your point of view, Mr. 500hp....lol

If I could gain 30hp from cams, exhaust, tune, etc then I'd be happy. I think the cost of it would hurt at first, but over time I think it would be worth it. I'd be happy with 275whp.
just the parts alone

BC cams - 1100
Exhaust - 1000
downpipes -200
Headers - 350
Tune - 350
roughly 3000 bucks and that will yield you more like 20 hp. That doesn't even count labor which would likely be another 1500.

4500/20 hp = $225 per hp gained

You could do a twin setup on stock block for about 10 grand and gain 150 hp (250 stock going to 400 )

10000/150 = about $67 per hp gained
Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

^^Simple math=$$$$$, as mentioned, 2big FI's----- you farmers know how to swing those phat checks
When I dumped the nitrous mission, it was bc I realized the Z is the consistent and quintessential sports car...I will eventually soon have the old fashioned HP to weight running with a side project for speed alone (hot rod, Kit car, etc...), the Z can stay relatively lightly modded, and unmolested in its true nature....or if you go for it may as well GO BIG as the above post drives home.

Closed on new house today, bought new Z rims...if I can swing a BJ outta the new lady, will be the perfect Trifecta for the day!

Last edited by Stock2Autocrozz; 02-24-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock2Autocrozz
^^Simple math=$$$$$, as mentioned, 2big FI's----- you farmers know how to swing those phat checks
When I dumped the nitrous mission, it was bc I realized the Z is the consistent and quintessential sports car...I will eventually soon have the old fashioned HP to weight running with a side project for speed alone (hot rod, Kit car, etc...), the Z can stay relatively lightly modded, and unmolested in its true nature....or if you go for it may as well GO BIG as the above post drives home.

Closed on new house today, bought new Z rims...if I can swing a BJ outta the new lady, will be the perfect Trifecta for the day!
woohoo time to throw a house party!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:42 AM
blueVQ

Hahaha.....nice.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

lmao! trifecta ftw!

Aaron, your math sucks. It's all out of my price range. Hard to justify spending that when I hardly drive the car.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 AM
textherex

You have to put everything into perspective, I can't justify spending 4 grand on 27whp but that is just me, 27whp isn't make or break and you really won't feel it a whole hell of alot. Sad new, there was a Red Z covered in snow going hwy 100 north at 8 am, I saw it and felt bad for the car! Also, on the justifying note, if I can only drive the car 6 months out of the year, I will make sure that I can drive it those 6 months and not pick and chose the prettiest of day, I would love my car to be fast but I want to be able to drive it as well so 500whp keeps me from doing that, I will be happy at 300-350 maybe 400. But it is truely to each their own.

Quick Reply: Minnesota Chat Thread