Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Minnesota Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I used to have a Jeep Cherokee for a winter beater. Sold it to some Mexicans on my bday.

Congrats on selling that G, Janik. Can't wait to see the new one.

I have a single exit exhaust with a fart can, too.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
textherex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mind upgrading my exhaust but.. I don't see the need to drop the money on it yet without cams.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by textherex
I wouldn't mind upgrading my exhaust but.. I don't see the need to drop the money on it yet without cams.
you have a lot to learn. cams will not be worth the hassle.... basically any n/a bolt on isn't worth the trouble beyond looks and sound. You just don't get much out bolt-ons.

doing cams is 2/3 the way to building the motor. much too much work for maybe 15hp
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

^+1 The VQ doesnt respond well to bolt on mods, do some more research on this forum.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM
textherex

I don't have much to learn in the performance area, but I will agree that I don't know that much about the VQ. I have heard a ton of things that the block isn't strong enough to handle much boost, anding in cams then boosting it will do more then just boosting itself. But I need to do alot of research, I have the time still a year and half on my warrenty. I want to go with twin turbos, cams, full exhaust, of course a stronger clutch, and an lsd. What do yall think? I know you go against the cams, but I work in a dealership that I can use a stall and pull the motor without any issues.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have much to learn in the performance area, but I will agree that I don't know that much about the VQ. I have heard a ton of things that the block isn't strong enough to handle much boost, anding in cams then boosting it will do more then just boosting itself. But I need to do alot of research, I have the time still a year and half on my warrenty. I want to go with twin turbos, cams, full exhaust, of course a stronger clutch, and an lsd. What do yall think? I know you go against the cams, but I work in a dealership that I can use a stall and pull the motor without any issues.
Since you have to build the bottom end anyways than yes a good time to add cams would be when you have to tear everything apart till than just wait..

Sup everyone havnt been on in awhile got the day off today woot woot!! Just got my new car and driver mag today and they have a little info on the new 2012 GTR. Are you ready?? (might be old news to some) Ok here we go... (time to buy one Aaron) The 3.8 liter v6 jumps from an already ridiculous 485 horses to a totally absurd, USDA-guarantee-of-certain-arrest 530 hp and torque from 434 to 448.. Also..... get ready for this, the cars warranty now covers the launch control, but after 4 launches you have to drive the car 1.5 miles to minimize the tranny temps. I know 0-60 times dont really fly around here buy how about 3 seconds.... 3 seconds flat.... And that was claimed that it was also on a semi wet track....

It also talks about that nissan will offer a kit to help upgrade your GTR 1.0 to a GTR 2.0 but no pricing or timing on the kit has been announced.

Last edited by silverbullet_Z; 02-23-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Zivman

Cams by themselves (without boost) are not worth it, even if you do all the labor yourself... they just aren't.

If you are doing a build, it is foolish not to replace the cams. You have everything apart and all you are paying for is the parts. Also, when boosting, you put in a cam geared towards your goal.

I don't know your full knowledge on performance modifications, but at this point you have two strikes against you:

1.) you talked about exhaust needing cams to be worthwhile (on the Z)
2.) you work at a dealership

I say this all in fun, but a lot of people come in talking about twin turbos this, builds that, etc... maybe 1 out of 10 get it done.

I might sound like a know-it-all... and I actually kind of am one ... that said, I have done a few builds, done a few installs, and have a good amount of direct experience with performance modifications on a VQ.

Not saying I know everything, but I have spent the time, spent the money and done it... and with more than one build and more than one car and more than one type of setup

APS TT on stock block

APS TT on Built block on Z:
Name:  P1010139-1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  DynoSheet.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  70.3 KB

APS TT on built block on G35

APS Single turbo on stock block

Name:  IMG_5067.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  69.5 KB

Vortech Supercharger on stock block:
Name:  img5986-1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  118.7 KB
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
Sup everyone havnt been on in awhile got the day off today woot woot!! Just got my new car and driver mag today and they have a little info on the new 2012 GTR. Are you ready?? (might be old news to some) Ok here we go... (time to buy one Aaron) The 3.8 liter v6 jumps from an already ridiculous 485 horses to a totally absurd, USDA-guarantee-of-certain-arrest 530 hp and torque from 434 to 448.. Also..... get ready for this, the cars warranty now covers the launch control, but after 4 launches you have to drive the car 1.5 miles to minimize the tranny temps. I know 0-60 times dont really fly around here buy how about 3 seconds.... 3 seconds flat.... And that was claimed that it was also on a semi wet track....

It also talks about that nissan will offer a kit to help upgrade your GTR 1.0 to a GTR 2.0 but no pricing or timing on the kit has been announced.
I am thinking about it... would have to sell the Z, AND the evo and still have to finance some of it.

I love them, on paper, but would have to drive one to know if it is worth the money. My evo is so much fun. I don't know if I could have the same fun with a GTR. It would be faster, and MUCH higher end, but no real manual. Not that I am a great driver, but after driving the evo on a basically daily basis, it is a blast to drive everytime I take it out.. I don't think it would be as much fun with a paddle shifter.

I say all that still loving my Z. AWD is great and all, but having the ability to burn the tires on a RWD car is great fun as well. The evo just begs to be driven hard and the Z is more of a cruiser in comparison, with big grunt..... I just don't know where the GTR would fall in comparison. I fear with all the tech and such, it would take some of the enjoyment out of the whole experience.

Maybe this is just me trying to talk myself out of one.... but either way a 90k+ car is something I don't know if I would ever do. And if I really got serious I think I would look hard at a viper.... I know I know, but I would have to drive both before hand.

As an enthusiast, I am happy the GTR even exists... especially this day in age... economy in the *****, gas prices high, gov't regulation, you name it
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
textherex

Ouch, working on cars for a living is a strike against me.. a little brutal considering how many desk jockies are on these type of boards.
And I never said Exhaust without cams is worthless, I said that what I want to do exhaust is down the list. Cams are ahead on my list of things to get then exhaust is. I have built many race spec motors from small b18c's to 500 hemi's and 512 chevys. Understood you don't know my history or what I have done, that is part of the reason I am here. I don't know VQ's and I have clearly stated it, I would love to get info from you on what you would suggest. The mention of the dealership just means I do plan on doing this myself and I have a place to get it down at, it isn't a means of bragging.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
silverbullet_Z

Ouch, working on cars for a living is a strike against me.. a little brutal considering how many desk jockies are on these type of boards.
And I never said Exhaust without cams is worthless, I said that what I want to do exhaust is down the list. Cams are ahead on my list of things to get then exhaust is. I have built many race spec motors from small b18c's to 500 hemi's and 512 chevys. Understood you don't know my history or what I have done, that is part of the reason I am here. I don't know VQ's and I have clearly stated it, I would love to get info from you on what you would suggest. The mention of the dealership just means I do plan on doing this myself and I have a place to get it down at, it isn't a means of bragging.
Dont take what Zivman says seriously (Aaron) at times he can be very blunt but in person is really cool and HE does know what he's talking about when it comes to just about everything on the Z, he's been there done that basically to the Z. My name is Greg and I have nismo cams and a quaife LSD in my ride (my top two mods) and cams and headers are by far the worst to do to the Z with minnimal gaines for as time consuming as they are, infact installing headers is a complete joke for the Z it is by far way too time consuming with minnimal gains unless you go the Supercharger route. I only did cams on my ride cause I had and issue with my motor that I had to fully disassemble.

Like everyone said the Z doesnt give considerable gaines with just bolt on parts you have to go the FI route if you want to actually feel the difference..
BTW from one base owner to another get the Quaife LSD that is and still is my best mod. Loved it from day one.
Mods:
Quaife LSD
Nismo Cams
HKS True Dual Exhaust
Berk HFC
JWT popcharger
Kinetix SSV
Tein S-tech Springs
Hotchkis F/R sways
GT spec F/R braces
Stillen Radiator
Samco Coolant hoses
Nismo Diff cooling plate
and a couple other small things

Last edited by silverbullet_Z; 02-23-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
textherex

Howdy Greg, I am Jeremy aka Tex. As far as everything goes I am being VERY vague, because these mods are atleast a year and half ago and that is a very conservative atleast. I know that FI is the way to go, and I plan on that. I have no issues pulling the motor and storing my chassis for a couple of months while I built it, we live in MN most of our Z's are not on the road in the winter anyways soooo.. I have the time. I understand fully how to get power and what it takes, please do not take me as every other person that has played Need for Speed or watched Fast and Furious. Also since you are S/C what power are you putting down, I am looking for 400whp. I am not looking to run with the big dogs, honestly I am going to be really setting this car up for Autocross not strait drag so I want power to get out of a corner but not crazy power. And maybe 400whp is much because that would be close to doubling stock, so more on the 300-350 side.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
silverbullet_Z

Howdy Greg, I am Jeremy aka Tex. As far as everything goes I am being VERY vague, because these mods are atleast a year and half ago and that is a very conservative atleast. I know that FI is the way to go, and I plan on that. I have no issues pulling the motor and storing my chassis for a couple of months while I built it, we live in MN most of our Z's are not on the road in the winter anyways soooo.. I have the time. I understand fully how to get power and what it takes, please do not take me as every other person that has played Need for Speed or watched Fast and Furious. Also since you are S/C what power are you putting down, I am looking for 400whp. I am not looking to run with the big dogs, honestly I am going to be really setting this car up for Autocross not strait drag so I want power to get out of a corner but not crazy power. And maybe 400whp is much because that would be close to doubling stock, so more on the 300-350 side.
Wooo I'm not S/C just ready for it lol, I have been reading getting alot of info and Vortech is the ideal way to go if you want to go S/C you want to talk to Travis BlueVQ he's S/C and went the Vortech route. But again if you have any real questions about FI you do need to talk to Aaron, like I said he knows his ****.

Reading is >than me just saw that you're only looking for 300-350 range with that just go SC and with vortech you can upgrade the pulleys and increase your HP so when and you will want more later on you can just upgrade your pulley. Many people have had success not doing anything to the bottom end of the block and staying 400 or less.

Last edited by silverbullet_Z; 02-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
silverbullet_Z

Dave what are you doing next weekend??? If you're not busy mind if I swing over and bring some of my home made brew??
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
silverbullet_Z

Originally Posted by Zivman
I am thinking about it... would have to sell the Z, AND the evo and still have to finance some of it.

I love them, on paper, but would have to drive one to know if it is worth the money. My evo is so much fun. I don't know if I could have the same fun with a GTR. It would be faster, and MUCH higher end, but no real manual. Not that I am a great driver, but after driving the evo on a basically daily basis, it is a blast to drive everytime I take it out.. I don't think it would be as much fun with a paddle shifter.

I say all that still loving my Z. AWD is great and all, but having the ability to burn the tires on a RWD car is great fun as well. The evo just begs to be driven hard and the Z is more of a cruiser in comparison, with big grunt..... I just don't know where the GTR would fall in comparison. I fear with all the tech and such, it would take some of the enjoyment out of the whole experience.

Maybe this is just me trying to talk myself out of one.... but either way a 90k+ car is something I don't know if I would ever do. And if I really got serious I think I would look hard at a viper.... I know I know, but I would have to drive both before hand.

As an enthusiast, I am happy the GTR even exists... especially this day in age... economy in the *****, gas prices high, gov't regulation, you name it
Amazingly with this new found power they've actually were able to increase the MPG by 2, I know that might not sound like much but for a beast of a car and near supercar as it gets thats pretty reasonable
Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Zivman

Every app is different... learning curve for every one. unfortunately with the Z it takes a lot to get power out of it. if you are happy with 20-30 hp then go ahead throw headers, exhaust, intake, plenum, ecu tune/flash, crank pulley, etc at your car. But really if you plan on N/A, your money is better spent on suspension and wheels and tires.

My words were not to insult, but based on my experience -> people that work at a dealership always think they know more than they actually do.

I admit I don't know it all and I made mistakes learning the things I have... and some cost me some $$$.

At this point my advise and thoughts would be:

1.) why have any concern about the warranty? especially if you are mechanically capable and have resources to fix things yourself? These cars are relatively easy to fix and I would rather enjoy a more powerful car now, than later

2.) if you have true intentions on doing a build, wait to do the cams then. why rip into the car to do cams, then again in a yr or so when you build? On top of that, what if you go with a more N/A friendly cam now, and then you find you want a cam for top end power with twin turbo kit?
- same thing with exhaust. why do any of that now when they become critical components when you boost the car

3.) because of everything in my second point, put a game plan together... you state 400 hp is your goal. That is plenty doable on stock block. GTM twin kit, greddy kit both would be fine. keep the torque to the 360-390 range and you will be fine. No need for cams, just the basic kit, half assed fuel system, exhaust and tune = about 10 grand
Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
Amazingly with this new found power they've actually were able to increase the MPG by 2, I know that might not sound like much but for a beast of a car and near supercar as it gets thats pretty reasonable
f^ck milage....if you beat on it, it will be like my Z-> 6-8mpg

my evo gets a solid 13 mpg now
Old 02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
silverbullet_Z

Originally Posted by Zivman
f^ck milage....if you beat on it, it will be like my Z-> 6-8mpg

my evo gets a solid 13 mpg now
I set myself up for that one
Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM
textherex

Well, I paid for the Warrenty... plus, I work on Cars all day hoesntly the last thing I want to do is to work on mine because I broke it. I had to do that with my turbo civic, I got so tired of working on it til midnight so that I could drive it to work the next day. So, I am at the point where I will let someone else handle it for now and save me the pain, plus for 50 bucks, I am getting a new tranny through warrenty(nissan doesn't rebuild trannys they just replace them), new struts in the front because they are leaking, new shifter and a new clutch on top of everything, I don't have to install any of it. So, I would say it is worth it.
I understand you intentions, and yes I will agree with you alot of Dealership techs no nothing outside of Diag and Repair.
And for the build, I don't plan on N/A I am really sorry if I have given the impression that I will piece this together over time. I plan on doing my research and knowing what I want to do, then doing it. Not going do the road like I did with my civic going through gsr tranny after tranny.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:13 PM
blueVQ

welcome new guy. I skipped all mods and went directly to s/c I dynod 246 rwhp stock and put the 6lb pulley on and got 350.6 rwhp. I can still go down two more pulley sizes but honestly I dont care to. Do a little suspension work, get some nice wheels. And take your car on the track once. Ull find its a blast to drive and does just fine. Ive kinda grown out of the whole being the fastest car on the road stage. They are just nice, well put together cars and dont even need mods to enjoy them. Do whatevef mods u want. Who cares what anyone else thinks. You can figure it out. Aaron is definately the one to go to for tech questions. But just dont ask his opinion because he will be blunt with you..haha. Besides, im starting to think he has no z. ..... Havnt seen it in two years. ..... Aaron, what do you have, like negative 2000 miles on your car now? Lol
Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Zivman

evo is down.....not mitu's fault

broke my KW3 coilover:
Name:  IMG_3011.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  46.3 KB

Quick Reply: Minnesota Chat Thread