Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

2010 MI-350Z Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
mekatoka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you guys interested in TEST-N-TUNES? I am planning on doing those more often. They are cheap (~$60) and are usually on weekdays, so it doesn't require a lot of planning.

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/events-calendar
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
lbk16

Any of you guys interested in TEST-N-TUNES? I am planning on doing those more often. They are cheap (~$60) and are usually on weekdays, so it doesn't require a lot of planning.

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/events-calendar
I have done a couple, but it is WAY TOO FAR to drive for a couple hours of track time.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM
lbk16

Originally Posted by mekatoka
As you guys know I was at Autobahn past weekend with Chin Motorsports. It was a blast and they live up to their tag line More Tracks, More Time.

-They run 30 min sessions, 3 run groups and you get 4 sessions
- At the end of the day there is a HAPPY HOUR where you can go and run all the hour if you'd like.
- In total I got 2.5hrs track time per day.

Here's the kicker - I barely qualified for a SOLO. They have 3 run groups
GREEN - novices with instructors and recently qualified novices who drive in green
BLUE - Intermediate group with open passing anywhere with point by
RED - Advanced group with open passing anywhere with point by

My instructor qualified me to run SOLO in BLUE, but had to be signed off by a senior instructor and the guy only qualified me SOLO in GREEN. The reason was that I was not able to heel-toe. So, I have been trying to pick it up now.

They were right on time with no delays at all. They have a tech process too but very fast. They follow process but it does not get in the way like some of the other bigger groups.

All in all, I am very satisfied with this group and will run with them on other tracks further out from Michigan. My instructor was a guy who drove 08 350Z and was very good.
Sounds like a good time, but I have a beef with the heel-toe thing. While I think that heel-toe is an awesome skill to have, I do not think that it should impact what class you are in. If you were "racing", maybe. It can definitely be a safety concern if you are not careful - but should not make the difference b/w a novice and an intermediate group. I can get comfortable with intermediate vs. advanced. BTW, I cannot heel-toe with any degree of consistency or precision.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
mekatoka

The senior instructor's point was that I was not consistent with my shifting and I agree with him. Now, he did not make any comments about my driving otherwise it's just the shifting. He noted that when my shifts go wrong it affects other things. He also said that the heel-toe is a very basic thing that I needed to pick up to actually start on some of the advanced braking techniques etc.

Honestly, I knew this before hand. I just had been ignoring as I was doing "fine" but I guess fine didn't cut with them That did steer me in the right direction and I went out in happy hour and all I did was heel-toe. I can now say that at least I can do it for 80% of the time even if it means I am over-revving it.

I've also been practicing it on the street now.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by lbk16
I have done a couple, but it is WAY TOO FAR to drive for a couple hours of track time.
Agreed it's far. I am trying to save some weekend time for the family It looks like you get far more time on a test-n-tune. Also, I started looking for an Acadia, I'll try to rent a trailer and tow my Z to the events.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
sig11

Lee, I see you signed up for the 3 ***** event - cool! I will be happy to ride with you and give you some pointers. You can ride with me too.
You convinced me to go. I would definitely like a ride. I think I'm still pretty green about finding the proper line.

Sounds like a good time, but I have a beef with the heel-toe thing. While I think that heel-toe is an awesome skill to have, I do not think that it should impact what class you are in. If you were "racing", maybe. It can definitely be a safety concern if you are not careful - but should not make the difference b/w a novice and an intermediate group. I can get comfortable with intermediate vs. advanced. BTW, I cannot heel-toe with any degree of consistency or precision.
I really want to learn to heel-toe. The SRM on the 370 works just about perfectly but if I ever want to drive anything else I guess I will have to learn. It will be a bit uncomfortable for my oddly bending feet I'm afraid.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
AznSky

I learned heel toe from watching Initial D

seriously....
Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 PM
sig11

Initial D?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by sig11
You convinced me to go. I would definitely like a ride. I think I'm still pretty green about finding the proper line.
You will have a lot of fun with Lee. I learned a lot just by watching his line when I ride in his car. That's how I learned most of my driving at the track

A good idea for you is to buy a communicator, it goes for $85 but well worth the price. At 3Balls events there are no "instructors", there are advanced drivers giving you pointers. So, if you buy the device they can communicate to you better.

I am buying one myself as I think it will be helpful when I go to open track days and have experienced drivers riding in with me.

LINKY

Last edited by mekatoka; 09-01-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
AznSky

Initial D?
Only the best anime EVAR!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_D

It starts off with drifiting, but then gets more technical as the drivers evolve. I have all of them on my external hd if you want to watch

Man all this talking about tracking makes me wanna go so bad

Deepu that's a good link. I might have to ask for one for my bday
Old 09-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed! I can heel-toe "ok", but not 100% consistent every time. I do not think just based on that it should determine your run group. You can still be a helluva driver without it. You are saving a little time by doing it, but not much if any.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 PM
sig11

What an awesome day at Waterford. I got signed off to run solo and I was really flying by the last session. My instructor said my best lap was a 1:29 in that session. Really can't wait for Grattan on Saturday now.

I tried using an iPhone data logger but I may never figure out how to get the data back out of it so I can properly see it... and I screwed up and I don't think I got ANY video of my solo sessions. In all: bad day for technology, great day for driving.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 AM
mekatoka

What an awesome day at Waterford. I got signed off to run solo and I was really flying by the last session. My instructor said my best lap was a 1:29 in that session. Really can't wait for Grattan on Saturday now.

I tried using an iPhone data logger but I may never figure out how to get the data back out of it so I can properly see it... and I screwed up and I don't think I got ANY video of my solo sessions. In all: bad day for technology, great day for driving.
Nice job man! It totally sucks when you are having an awesome day and have something go wrong with the toys. I got a traqmate for my last track day at Autobahn and forgot to take my power cable. How dumb was that

When I attend instructor schools I never get signed off even if the instructor wants to do it. I try to take every bit of instruction I paid for On the flip side, I have found that it helps to go solo for a session after the instructor tells you something and then go back with the instructor. The reason for this is that when instructor is in car with you he/she will try to make you drive exactly the way they want. Sometimes, it helps to go out by ourselves and figure out a few things and then come back for more instruction. Ofcourse, this requires that you already have some experience at going solo.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 AM
sig11

I was caught off guard when they flagged me on to the track right on the grid time... I was low on space on the card so I was delaying starting it and it bit me.

I was totally shocked by how much of a difference there was without a passenger. If you think about it as shedding 150-200lbs though I suppose it makes sense.

Oh... I ran without VDC all but one session and I think that I hate it now. It IS pretty subtle but it does feel like it kicks in too early. I'll probably only use it in the rain from now on unless I forget to turn it off like my second session yesterday.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Brake woes

The newly rebuild Brembos worked pretty good for the first 3 sessions. I got used to the aggressive bite of the DTC-70 pads and was able to apply the correct amount of pressure to brake without the ABS kicking in. I was really happy about that.

However, they overheated on the 4 session.. Total fade, very little pedal pressure and I went off (safely) at the end of the long straight. Packed up my stuff and on the way out of the facility, one of the pads broke and I was using a backing plate as a brake pad (great for the rotors...) So I limped it home and barely used the brakes at all.

Found that the thread sealer in the bleeders is streamed down the caliper - leaking.. this happened last time too. This may have contributed to the fade if air was getting in there.

With all the issues I've had with these damn used/rebuilt calipers.. I'm throwing in the towel with them. Just ordered a StopTech front kit. Hopefully I'll get it in time for one more track day this year.

anyone want to buy a beat-to-sh!+ Brembo kit?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:08 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Fixxercask......I ended up getting my hands on some scrubbed R888's last week. They aren't too bad. No track time on them yet. 285's all the way around FTW .
Old 09-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Fixxxercask

285's all around. Nice. Let me know what you think of them compared to the others you have tried. Like I said, this is my first set of R-comps so I have no comparison to the others. I am going to try the NT-01's next time. I am planning on running TT with NASA next year. I think I will be running TTC, but to stay in that class I cannot run more than a 255 size tire. I am running that on the front now and 275 in the rear. I might jump to TTB and run 275s all around and run Hoosiers. My lap times now are very competitive for TTC so I am trying to stay in that class, but then again if I run Hoosiers and bump up to TTB people say that you pick up another 3-5 seconds over R-comps. We'll see. When are you gonna hit the track again?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Perhaps the R888 are cursed? I went out to shake a few things down at a local auto-x and broke the pivot ball in the trans on the first run............ First.....Fixxercask breaks his clutch.....Second...I brake a part within the trans. Do not like.........not too mention I got absolutely nothing to help set-up the new tire combo.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Fixxxercask

Man that sux. I figured some things would break when I started using R-comps, but not my clutch. I expected wheel bearings. Perhaps those tires are cursed.

I have heard of pivot ***** breaking before. I actually upgraded mine to a GTM chromoly one when I had my tranny out. By the way I got my car all back together on Friday and I already got my clutch broke in. It was nice and cool tonight and the car felt really good. Look on the bright side though, at least the pivot ***** are cheap, but it sucks you have to tear the tranny out to get to it. Are you going to replace your clutch or anything since it has to come out?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:25 AM
lbk16

I want to give a big thanks to Lee for letting me take a spin in the wet in his 370 at Grattan this Saturday. It was so wet that I managed to spin the 370 going straight with the stability control on. Crazy! Thanks again Lee!

Quick Reply: 2010 MI-350Z Track Days