Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

*2010 Zdayz North-Central Caravan* Thursday, May 20th

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
^^ Taking the above into account, I am open either way. I think if conditions are right, the group would have more fun on Route #1. Since Route #2 is longer than I thought and the time is basically the same, I lean to #1.

As for getting split up, the route stays on the same road until RT 28 in NC. We can assign three leaders and three groups. (If we have a large caravan.) The leaders will have radios and communicate together.

Each group follows a leader. The leaders will set the pace and try to space out the groups through the fun areas so we don't get bunched up and slow down the rear of the pack.

If we end up with a small group, two leaders will be fine. One in front one in middle.
I was planning on bringing radios, so this plan of yours is a good idea. I'm open to either one. I agree that if it's the same amount of time, we should take the shorter distance.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 AM
pulpz2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be bringing radios also.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:33 AM
mekatoka

How many folks are driving cars by themselves without a passenger? I don't have a passenger, been pestering my friend to go with me. It might be boring to drive 12 hrs by yourself.

This is my first time going with a caravan, I am excited about it
Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
I was planning on bringing radios, so this plan of yours is a good idea. I'm open to either one. I agree that if it's the same amount of time, we should take the shorter distance.
Originally Posted by pulpz2
I'll be bringing radios also.
That's great you're bringing radios. Are there any compatibility issues with radios of different brands? I'd assume if you're on the same channel, that they should work together. I was planning on buying a set from Walmart. I want one with decent range 25+ miles and headsets. I don't want to wreck reaching for a radio in the curves. LOL

Originally Posted by mekatoka
How many folks are driving cars by themselves without a passenger? I don't have a passenger, been pestering my friend to go with me. It might be boring to drive 12 hrs by yourself.

Bringing a friend:

Deepu, you will like the TSD event. This is Time, speed and Distance rally. It really helps to have a passenger for this event since it is hard for you to read the clues, navigate and use a stopwatch. (BTW: I recommend bringing a stop watch if you are entering the TSD.) If you end up not bringing your friend, I volunteer to be your navigator.

Your friend will have to negotiate for floor space in the cabin. LOL. I've paid the first night. The next two nights can be split up among the rest of you. So far, we have 4 in the cabin. (You, me, Rob and Lee) If they bring a tent, they could set it up in the back and hope FVR doesn't have a problem with it. The more we can stack in there, the cheaper it is for the 4 of you.

Caravaning:
This is not my first caravan, but my first one of this long of a distance. I hope everyone enjoys it. Whoever leads usually has a lot of responsibility so we may want to rotate that position around. The leader has to keep pace, try not to break up the group by weaving in and out of traffic, know his way there, judge good places for gas or rest stops, keep look out for dangers (like retread tire pieces in the road and potholes) and most importantly, they are the first to get clocked by the Police.

Videos
I will be bringing a 1.5TB USB drive to collect video and photos from everyone who will share. I am depending on those who have GoPro HD cameras to help me out with footage.

I may "buy" a HD video camera for the trip and return it after I get back. LOL If someone has a HD video camera that they would like to "rent" me for the week, I will pay a fair price. It has to be cheaper than a 15% restocking fee. (he-he)

Ultimately, I will assemble a video for ZdayZ. Last year, we had a drive-in movie night where we parked the cars and watched Talledaga Nights. I hope to edit this well and perhaps we can show this at next year's ZdayZ. I will invest in iMovie software for the Mac or Adobe Premiere for the PC (Or both and combine the strengths).

So any help I can get to make you a star is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I'd rather drive alone in my Z.

There shouldn't be any issues with the radios. As long as we can dial in the channels, it should work fine. I've done it with our local club when we go cruising in the back roads for a day.

I'm used to caravaning with a large group of cars, so I can volunteer to rotate through that if you want.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:38 PM
mekatoka

....Deepu, you will like the TSD event.
....I volunteer to be your navigator.
That sounds like fun, I doubt I'll get anyone to go with me. I'll be interested in signing up even if I be the last one in the event Thanks, that'll be great to have you as my partner for the event then.

...... The more we can stack in there, the cheaper it is for the 4 of you.
I'd pay more to have a bed, that's more important to me at the night than having to sleep on the floor or couch. I am a person who goes to camping in the day and sleeps in a hotel at the night

....I will be bringing a 1.5TB USB drive to collect video
Nice now I don't have to get a laptop

I may "buy" a HD video camera for the trip and return it after I get back. LOL If someone has a HD video camera that they would like to "rent" me for the week, I will pay a fair price. It has to be cheaper than a 15% restocking fee. (he-he)
I'll lend you my HD camcorder (Canon HFS100) and there is no fee or nothing as long as you don't damage it I'd appreciate if you can shoot some clips (a lil more than others ..lol) of my car in the trip.

I also have the portable 1080P camcorder that I'll use to shoot video from y car. I'll have both GoProHD (bumper cam) and Kodak-1080P (in-car)

I wonder if your 1.5 TB will be enough
Old 05-07-2010, 04:25 PM
pulpz2

I wont have a passenger. I'm actually looking forward to the down time in the car by myself.

May do the TSD as a passenger or driver if anyone is interested in partnering up.

I have a room at the lodge with two beds if anyone is interested in splitting the cost PM me. I think its around 100 bucks a night.

The two way radios work great for the caravan, and as Smooth says, as long as you're on the same channel you should be fine. FYI - In the mountains the radio range is really limited.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM
pulpz2

Caravan is a blast! As each day goes buy I'm getting really hyped about the whole weekend.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
pulpz2

Caravaning:
This is not my first caravan, but my first one of this long of a distance. I hope everyone enjoys it. Whoever leads usually has a lot of responsibility so we may want to rotate that position around. The leader has to keep pace, try not to break up the group by weaving in and out of traffic, know his way there, judge good places for gas or rest stops, keep look out for dangers (like retread tire pieces in the road and potholes) and most importantly, they are the first to get clocked by the Police.
We shouldn't have too much of a problem keeping everyone together with ten or so cars. When I've participated in "runs" in the past, we usually have a radio in the first car and the last car. It helps to have a passenger in the lead car as well. But on the freeway, and considering Z-Car drivers tend to be somewhat spirited/aggressive/engaged, I don't think we'll have any stragglers.

Now when we did the 2005 Caravan with twenty cars, once we were in Tennessee north of Knoxville, the lead cars become more spirited in driving the mountains, but we regrouped at the exit that had the giant crucifixes casting shadows on the Adult Stores. But that was mix of younger and older drivers. I'm guessing most of us in this group will probably more moderate (fun but responsible) in our driving style.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:07 PM
pulpz2

OP is updated with current info.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Phreakdout

Now when we did the 2005 Caravan with twenty cars, once we were in Tennessee north of Knoxville, the lead cars become more spirited in driving the mountains, but we regrouped at the exit that had the giant crucifixes casting shadows on the Adult Stores. But that was mix of younger and older drivers. I'm guessing most of us in this group will probably more moderate (fun but responsible) in our driving style.
Ha-ha. I know exactly where you are talking about. That is at the base of Mt. Jellico if I remember correctly. It's a good place to stop if needed. Large gas station with easy on and off.

That crucifix is really cheesey. Looks like it was made from corragate building material. But it's better than what I call the "Touchdown Jesus" statue 29 miles North of Cincinnati. Some day I'm going to kick a football through the uprights.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Phreakdout

That sounds like fun, I doubt I'll get anyone to go with me. I'll be interested in signing up even if I be the last one in the event Thanks, that'll be great to have you as my partner for the event then.

I'd pay more to have a bed, that's more important to me at the night than having to sleep on the floor or couch. I am a person who goes to camping in the day and sleeps in a hotel at the night

Nice now I don't have to get a laptop

I'll lend you my HD camcorder (Canon HFS100) and there is no fee or nothing as long as you don't damage it I'd appreciate if you can shoot some clips (a lil more than others ..lol) of my car in the trip.

I also have the portable 1080P camcorder that I'll use to shoot video from y car. I'll have both GoProHD (bumper cam) and Kodak-1080P (in-car)

I wonder if your 1.5 TB will be enough
Cabin: I'm sure that's not a problem.

Laptop / USB Drive: LOL - You're probably right. HD files take a ton of space. If it's a problem, I'll run to the closest Walmart and pickup another one for $130.

I have a small video cam. Kodak Zi8 which is like yours. It also shoots 1080P but the quality is no where near an actual video cam.

Thanks for the loan on the camera. I will take very good care of it. I'm planning to get a GoProHD for exterior (of the car) shots and use a good video cam for shots from the interior.

I plan to make a tripod style mount between the two head rests that will allow me to shoot what is behind me. Using the video out cables, I will feed them into the video in on the new Pioneer DVD Headunit. This way I can see what the camera sees from the dash. This will allow me to keep cars centered (using one hand) or angle for drive-by shots.

It should be interesting. I just pray there is no rain on this trip.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

We shouldn't have too much of a problem keeping everyone together with ten or so cars. When I've participated in "runs" in the past, we usually have a radio in the first car and the last car. It helps to have a passenger in the lead car as well. But on the freeway, and considering Z-Car drivers tend to be somewhat spirited/aggressive/engaged, I don't think we'll have any stragglers.

I remember that 20 car run. That was awesome.

I agree that the lead car should have a passenger calling out directions and what not. My passenger seat will have the famous rolling beer cooler.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
redmike_02

Here is our group rolling down from Cincy. We will also have radios to chat.

Redmike_02, 2005 350z, Cincinnati, OH
Push, 2008 Vette, Cincinnati, OH
Jesse Holman , 1993 240sx, Cincinnati, OH
Mi 35th, 2009 Jeep 4dr (beer pong stuff hauler), Cincinnati, OH
Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
pulpz2

Updated:

1. PulpZ, 2009 370Z, Dayton OH
2. FuszNissan, 2009 370Z, St. Louis MO
3. Mekatoka, 2008 350Z, Canton, MI
4. Phreakdout, 2004 350Z Roadster, Ypsilanti, MI
5. sig11, 2009, 2009 370Z, Ferndale, MI
6. StlRedrider, 2009 370Z, St. Louis, MO
7. SmoothZ, 2003 350Z, Twin Cities, MN
8. silverbullet Z, Twin Cities, MN
9. MyV6IsFast3r , 2004 350Z, Worthington, OH
10. ZkindaGuy, 2009 370Z, Ohio (MAYBE)
11. drivessidewayz, 2006 350Z, Ohio (MAYBE)
12. Sunset123, 240&300tt&370Z, and 6-8 others from ZROC (TENTATIVE)
13. Redmike_02, 2005 350z, Cincinnati, OH, and 3-4 others (non Z friends)

Could make for quite a caravan!
_________
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Phreakdout

Holy Crap!!!

This is turning into a parade! Phreakin' Awesome!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:49 AM
pulpz2

I've added maps to the original post. The format is PDF and should print landscape on 8.5 x 11. The files had to be compressed to meet the web site max file size limit so image quality is so-so. If you want the originals let me know and I can email them to you. There are six altogether, five in the OP and the sixth here:

EDit: Maps removed. Will revise with I-40 route as advised by the Phreak!

Last edited by pulpz2; 05-11-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 AM
pulpz2

Oh, and I took the liberty of routing us on th Gatlinburg bypass instead of thru town. If I remember, its like two-lane and stop and go.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM
pulpz2

Ha-ha. I know exactly where you are talking about. That is at the base of Mt. Jellico if I remember correctly. It's a good place to stop if needed. Large gas station with easy on and off.

That crucifix is really cheesey. Looks like it was made from corragate building material. But it's better than what I call the "Touchdown Jesus" statue 29 miles North of Cincinnati. Some day I'm going to kick a football through the uprights.

BTW this a MUST SEE in person. I shake my head everytime I go by. If they make a Ricky Bobby 2 This could be in it, and be like, Galactic Jesus.

Last edited by pulpz2; 05-11-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Phreakdout

I've added maps to the original post. The format is PDF and should print landscape on 8.5 x 11. The files had to be compressed to meet the web site max file size limit so image quality is so-so. If you want the originals let me know and I can email them to you. There are six altogether, five in the OP and the sixth here:
Good plan on the bypass.

Bad plan on getting off at Henley Street in Knoxville. There are dozens of red lights rolling through downtown not to mention Knoxville police all the way down 441 to Sevierville. There's no way the caravan would stay together if we rolled in the afternoon of a work day.

Suggest I40 East and get off at exit 407 and take 66 into Sevierville. It's a 4 lane road with fewer red lights. It rolls right into Sevierville and up onto 441 through Pigeon Forge. Mile wise it's probably slightly longer but it has to be faster with interstate speeds and 55 mph 4 lane roads.

You won't miss anything not taking Chapman Highway out of Knoxville.

Quick Reply: *2010 Zdayz North-Central Caravan* Thursday, May 20th