Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:56 PM
etx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah guys, take note!! We all gotta hit milan in the spring.

I put my Z into the garage for the winter last sunday.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:54 AM
mzack

Mzack - Ypsilanti
Old 12-08-2003, 05:25 PM
eddytsi

Yes!! can't wait til spring!!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 PM
MySunset350Z

spring is just around the corner....not really but a man can dream. i can smell the burning rubber already. i was actually thinking, we should get about 2 meets a month if not more. we should also start talking about what people have in mind for our get togethers. the obvious one that comes to mind is a track meet. and then after that we can also have a track meet.

we have the woodward dream cruise but thats towards the end of summer. 15 or so Z's cruising down woodward together. sick!! we can probably set it up to where we can get a good parking area and maybe bbq or something of that nature. all day fun (dont forget showing off) type of thing.

anyway..i've put in my .02 anyone else have any ideas? lets hear um.

1. MySunset350Z - Dearborn Heights
2. etx - Canton
3. Jspec350Z - West Bloomfield
4. mihalko1 - F Hills
5. Spartan1510 - Livonia
6. eddytsi - Sterling Heights
7. vrmac-Royal Oak
8. Thaddeus - Grass Lake(350zmotoring.com)
9. Mickey - Ann Arbor
10. Yancy - Sterling Heights
11. Archman350z - Novi
12. Matt - Sterling Hts
13. Mzack - Ypsilanti

Last edited by MySunset350Z; 12-08-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:52 AM
mzack

Talking

Speaking of the Woodward Dream Cruise, I met the president of the Detroit Z club last summer. Its a club for all Z models. He told me that they have an entire parking area dedicated for Zs. I will try an dig up the guys bis. card an post the info. He said they were trying to get a web site for the Detroit club.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:51 AM
MySunset350Z

if your talking about "robzarist" of the metro detroit z club, then dont bother.

he's no longer in detroit, and ever since he left, the club has died down. maybe i havent been kept in the loop, but i dont think there was more then 1 meet this past summer through that club which i went to. i got the feeling that the 350z wasnt all that welcome for some reason. i dont know...anyway thats that.

oh and that website has been "underway" since i bought my Z....(9months) so dont hold your breath...heh
Old 12-09-2003, 09:52 AM
mzack

Well, I guess we will have to form our own club here in Detroit. This list is a great point to start with.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Spartan1510

"form our own club"??? I've got a better idea. Lets get a bunch of us to go to the next Z club meeting together, and maybe numbers will make a difference.

I'm sure that we can get a solid group of people from here if we advertise right.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:03 PM
archman350z

Well, I'm all for that if someone can find out where this elusive club is hiding at. So far, I haven't heard anything of a Z club for SE Michigan. I'm going to start looking into starting a club myself if nothing comes along...
Old 12-10-2003, 05:13 AM
mzack

I think I lost the bis. card of the guy who runs the club> It looks like he may have moved out of Detroit based on what mysunset350z said. I say we keep getting this list together and for a group so that when a warm day (March 21) comes around we can have a meet and form our own club.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:06 PM
julian

you guys should go to an open track day. $110-150 and enough track time to satisfy anyone. i did gingerman and waterford this year and had a blast, even if i was driving a 110hp volvo wagon. ha!
Attached Thumbnails Detroit Area Z List-ging.jpg  
Old 12-10-2003, 06:08 PM
julian

nah, i don't feel out of place.
Attached Thumbnails Detroit Area Z List-ging2.jpg  
Old 12-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Jspec350z

If we have enough people we can rent any of the tracks you mentioned. I think waterford hills goes for like $300 a hour or something like that. I would love to get my car on that track. Sounds like a blast. I would also love to see like 20 Z's out at milan or lapeer that would be amazing.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:29 PM
MySunset350Z

hehe nice pics.

oh ya i forgot to mention that. we can rent out the track at a bunch of places, but im not sure as to how much it will cost. im postive its less then $150 per person. im pretty sure its actually 1 flat fee that we just divi up among the people that are going.

a buddy of mine had a ford mustand meet at norwalk in ohio this past summer. he said that each person paid $40. (not sure how many people though) norwalk is a pretty well know drap strip too, but i dont know if everyone is willing to drive 1.5 to 2hours to get there. if we do rent out a track for the whole day it would definately have to be at that place. if its good enough for tv and professional dragsters, then its good enough for us.

if we wont be renting out the place, then we should just stick to milan. a lot closer, and cheaper. $20 to race, $10 to watch. but you get what you pay for. track isnt as up to par as norwalk is, but good enough.

does anyone know of any places we can go to that have kinda of like a twisty and turny course that we can run? something the 350z would love...something i'd enjoy too. that would be a blast!!

i was hoping for 10 people on the list by summer time, but i've upped that goal to 20. the list hasnt been up too long and we already have more then 10. 20 Z's at a meet?!!??! Juicy.

i think im gonna send an email to the people in that other club. atleast the ones that i can contact. ill c what the deal is, and if anyone is interested with what we have planned.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:07 AM
archman350z

Well, guys, lets start getting some plans together for a meet as soon as the weather warms up! It doesn't have to be much...maybe we just all meet at a restaurant somewhere and go for a drive on a Saturday or Sunday...

If there's seriously enough interest, I would like to get a club together and get to the point of renting out tracks. I do Waterford Hills events with the local Porsche club so I can get all the info we need there. A friend belongs to FME (Ford Motorsports Enthusiasts) so I can also get info on renting Milan.

The only problem with renting race tracks is having enough instructors for the beginners. I am hoping to get my SCCA license this summer so that I will qualify for instruction, but I'm not sure how many other Z'ers will also qualify. Also for this reason, if a club does come about, I would like to include all Zs (300ZX, 240Z, 280Z) plus Skylines, G35s and 240SXs just to broaden the club (and interest) base.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:17 PM
Redfoot

1. MySunset350Z - Dearborn Heights
2. etx - Canton
3. Jspec350Z - West Bloomfield
4. mihalko1 - F Hills
5. Spartan1510 - Livonia
6. eddytsi - Sterling Heights
7. vrmac-Royal Oak
8. Thaddeus - Grass Lake(350zmotoring.com)
9. Mickey - Ann Arbor
10. Yancy - Sterling Heights
11. Archman350z - Novi
12. Matt - Sterling Hts
13. Mzack - Ypsilanti
14. Redfoot - Lapeer
Old 12-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Spartan1510

All Z's are welcome in my little world.

I'm completely up for a track day, and especially a road course type track!
Old 12-12-2003, 04:45 PM
julian

CGI motorsports does gingerman, Shelby Club does a variety of events including gingerman and waterford hills. The $100-150 is typical of events hosted by a club or driving school. and as mentioned the porsche club does stuff too.

It's always more fun to have different types of cars too, not just 10 Z's, and getting in on one of the already scheduled HPDE avoids having to find one weekend where 20 people's schedules will fit. my 2 cents anyway

http://www.cgimotorsports.com/drivingschedule.html
http://www.saac-mcr.com/tracks/
Old 12-13-2003, 09:09 AM
archman350z

Julian, I can see your point. However, I'm looking at the big picture here: the more clubs that can rent out tracks means that there will be more support for groups and organizations that own these tracks. I'm at the age now where I still like to go fast, but I also think it's completely stupid to do so on the street. And I'm all about retaining my American-given right to go racing. I'm very active in trying to get younger guys out to the race track or strip and prove their manhood there instead of on the street. The problem is that race track owners are getting more pressure from the towns and villages to shut down because of the noise, blah, blah, blah and stupid people are building houses next to these tracks and bitching about it. Clubs like the Rally Sport Region of PCA are getting screwed because they don't offer enough financial "influence" like other motorsports events. (i.e. most of RSR's events at Waterford were cancelled because of problems between the villiage of Waterford and the track owners). I don't expect politicians to understand the huge benefit that "track days" provide to the general driving public...their IQ is much too low.

Also, I was at a SpeedTrial event at Gingerman and wasn't very impressed with what went on there. There were people driving in the intermediate group that had no business being on a race track...and then guys from Chicago were getting into fights...that's just not the kind of stuff I would tolerate. In SpeedTrial's defense, they did handle the situation, but it really should have never happened in the first place. I dunno, I might try a CGI or Shelby club event and see what they are like...but so far clubs other than RSR-PCA just don't do it right.

A sub-idea that I had would be to initially start renting positions with other clubs at tracks. I think any club would be happy to have a block of dedicated spots at every event to help pay for the track, plus one could avoid all the phone calls and organizing associated with such events. If a Z club were to exist and rent out a track on its own, other makes and models would be welcome at any track event (as it is with any other club), so it wouldn't be boring. I've got some serious investigation ahead of me here, and, like I said, the biggest obstacle will be to get enough instructors...so it may not happen at all.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:20 PM
mzack

Thumbs up

I was at the gym in Ann Arbor today and spoke with a guy that has a silverstone and he knows "Rob Z Artist", that moved away. He said that Rob still comes back and does meets for all Zs. They did one a couple of months ago at Dick Scott on Michigan Ave by 275. This was a nissan sponsered event. I have this guys card. I plan to email him tonight. He is going to hook me up with the club that has all Zs in the area. The one that we hear is falling apart.

I will keep everyone posted. Hope to get contacts from them.

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List