Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Chicago and other northern owners...help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Wazmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago and other northern owners...help!

Hello neighbors of the North!

I am moving from Atlanta to Chicago at the end of the month and need some assistance on what to do with the Z. I have a base Z with some minor mods right now. I was wondering what people do with their Z once winter rolls around since I am born and raised in the South. Should I sell it down here and get something else? Should I try to brave the winter roads with it? I am new to this whole snow thing and the car hates rain, I can't imagine the slush y'all end up with.

Thank you all in advance!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 AM
drivessidewayz

Those of us with enough extra money buy a reliable dd, and those of us who simply don't want to drive the Z during the winter buy a winter beater. Another option, winter tires make a world of different while driving the Z in snow; I loved my Nokian Hakapellittas (yea, pretty sure that's spelled wrong, but whatever).
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM
ErkTheJerk73

Received 718 Likes on 427 Posts

if you have never driven in the snow, i suggest getting a car that can do it well. even with snow tires i think you would have a hard time. not trying to be personal, but just assuming
Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Only way to drive it is with winter tires, I've done it 3 years but I have a touring which has VDC so I cant speak for the base models.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Wazmo

I have driven in snow and ice before but not for an extended period of time or for a real purpose, more like messing around. I did though in a SUV and an AWD Saab, so the comfort factor was higher. My car is set up for the track and it still has the open diff. While I have confidence in my driving I really dont want to test the theory with my Z.
I have through about snow tires to solve the problem and will look into them. I just think that will only partially sove the issue at hand which is RWD, open diff, low, and build for warm summer days not cold northern adventures.
Thanks for the replies!! Hope to hear more.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I moved to Chicago from Dallas, TX 1.5 years ago and my Z was set up for autox. One of the first purchases I made upon my arrival was snow tires, and I suggest you to do the same. You won't be able to get around with summer tires if it snows and only with effort on all season tires. With that being said, my snow tires are stretched (225/45 on 8.5" and 235/45 on 9.5") so I'm not much better off than you.

Last year, there was a lot more snow and my car was relatively low (on Hotchkis springs) but I got around just fine with a few scrapes here and there. Hell, I even drove up to WI during heavy snow for an ice rally (autox on a frozen lake) and drove through a snowstorm to/from Nebraska. I've raised the car back to about stock height for this winter, though, so I should be better prepared this winter for snow height-wise.

If you end up getting a set of snow tires, maybe you can join me when I head to WI for ice rallies (autox on a frozen lake). If not, then we could still meet up at local autox and track events.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
original786

I have the exact same problem. I am moving to Chicago from ATL too but my Z is heavily modded with around 650hp. I have Mickey Thompson slicks on it (305s). I will be in Chicago for 6 years.

Is it worth it to bring it to Chicago or leave it in my garage in ATL for 6 years?

Btw..I will most likely be living in downtown chicago cuz I will be attending UIC. I also have a daily driver, which i am def bringing, just not sure about the Z

Any suggestions?!..
Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
One_Quick_Z

What I do with mine, is as soon as thanksgiving rolls around it goes on storage insurance and either stays in my garage and I start it every other week.... But now I just keep it at the father inlaws warehouse and start it ever two weeks and drive it around the warehouse...... and wont come out until late March early April

DAN
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by original786
I have the exact same problem. I am moving to Chicago from ATL too but my Z is heavily modded with around 650hp. I have Mickey Thompson slicks on it (305s). I will be in Chicago for 6 years.

Is it worth it to bring it to Chicago or leave it in my garage in ATL for 6 years?

Btw..I will most likely be living in downtown chicago cuz I will be attending UIC. I also have a daily driver, which i am def bringing, just not sure about the Z

Any suggestions?!..
No point in keeping a car in a garage for 6 years. Either bring it and store it during the winters or sell it.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by One_Quick_Z
What I do with mine, is as soon as thanksgiving rolls around it goes on storage insurance and either stays in my garage and I start it every other week.... But now I just keep it at the father inlaws warehouse and start it ever two weeks and drive it around the warehouse...... and wont come out until late March early April

DAN

just a word of advise...
you aren't doing your car any favors by starting it every other week. You are merely adding engine wear with additional cold starts and introducing additional moisture into the engine.

4-6 months of winter storage isn't that long of a time for a car to be store. Make sure your tank is full, pull your battery or throw a tender on it and leave the car alone till it's time to drive it.

To the OP, buy a 2nd car.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM
drivessidewayz

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Only way to drive it is with winter tires, I've done it 3 years but I have a touring which has VDC so I cant speak for the base models.
< Did it in a stock base model. Imo VDC, TCS, and ABS only hinder one's ability to drive a car anyway.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
One_Quick_Z

Really? I dont think that is the case with starting it every couple of weeks as far as engine wear, and letting the motor heat up will get rid of the moisture that has built up in it from sitting....So thanks for the advice but I am good.....

DAN
Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Zivman

Starting it is what introduces the moisture... but hey disregard good advice because you're good
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM
One_Quick_Z

Actually the moisture will accumulate either way if the car sits or it gets started, letting the car get up to running temp will get the condensate out of the system.

DAN
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by One_Quick_Z
Actually the moisture will accumulate either way if the car sits or it gets started, letting the car get up to running temp will get the condensate out of the system.

DAN
a byproduct of combustion is H2O... If you were starting it up say every other day, OK, but a start up every couple weeks doesn't do the car any good. every time you start it up, it is an additional cold start, putting excess wear on the motor. this is especially true during the cold winter months.

Your car, so do as you please, but don't blow off what I am saying like you know better.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I've heard the same thing about starting the car up instead of leaving it alone. I tend to agree with Ziv on this matter, only because he's sometimes correct.

I've also lived in the North since 1995 with a couple of Z's, and I've done enough reading to be camped out with the "store until ready to drive" people.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I've heard both but I honestly don't care. I don't ever plan on leaving any car of mine without driving it for long, regardless of weather.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Kuhan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zivman
just a word of advise...
you aren't doing your car any favors by starting it every other week. You are merely adding engine wear with additional cold starts and introducing additional moisture into the engine.

4-6 months of winter storage isn't that long of a time for a car to be store. Make sure your tank is full, pull your battery or throw a tender on it and leave the car alone till it's time to drive it.

+1. This is what I did as well for the last two winters.
I had a used oil analysis done after taken the car out of storage, and the analysis didn't show any difference vs the oil used during the summer months.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM
tazicon

Originally Posted by Zivman
To the OP, buy a 2nd car.

We had a winter beater as well as most people did in Colorado. The crap they put down on the roads sucks and will ruin your car. Best just to get a beater SUV and be done with it. Even in the winter there will be days you can pull your car out and drive it. May be few and far between but they will be there.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by Kuhan
+1. This is what I did as well for the last two winters.
I had a used oil analysis done after taken the car out of storage, and the analysis didn't show any difference vs the oil used during the summer months.
Did you do it the other way (frequent starts during winter hibernation) and compare? That could be an interesting comparison.

Quick Reply: Chicago and other northern owners...help!