Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

moving to columbus from los angeles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow03z
edit:re-read thread

Why are you living downtown?
There are tons of apartments in the new albany area.

Either way all the roads to a&f are large and heavily traveled and therefore always cleared of ice and snow. You won't have a problem driving there.

Good luck with your move and job!
cuz the new albany area seemed sooooooooo sleepy/dead.... i'm moving across the country all by myself, and i know no one in ohio..
a suburb of LA is one thing.. suburb in the middle of ohio is another... i need the hustle & bustle & stores & bars & **** of the downtown area.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Originally Posted by Brrcats
lol, spoke too soon, 7 degrees this morning.

****!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

damn censorship.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onedirtyz
cuz the new albany area seemed sooooooooo sleepy/dead.... i'm moving across the country all by myself, and i know no one in ohio..
a suburb of LA is one thing.. suburb in the middle of ohio is another... i need the hustle & bustle & stores & bars & **** of the downtown area.
I don't know about hustle and bustle of columbus... it's not LA. Not to mention driving from one side of town to the other is like half an hour compared to LA where you're looking at hours. It doesn't take long to get to the more interesting parts of town.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Brrcats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slow03z
I don't know about hustle and bustle of columbus... it's not LA. Not to mention driving from one side of town to the other is like half an hour compared to LA where you're looking at hours. It doesn't take long to get to the more interesting parts of town.
I agree, but theres a totally different culture to downtown/short north living then there is living in new albany. Not to mention the ease of logisitcs on the weekend if you live downtown. I'm contantly in a battle of finding someone to either take my drunk *** home or let me sleep on a couch. Worse comes to worse and you got yourself a $40 cab ride back home. Its just a lot easier if you can stumble home or have a $10 ride.

As long as he has quick access to 670, his commute from downtown will be a breeze.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:52 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

I'm not a he
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
ocdz

I agree, but theres a totally different culture to downtown/short north living then there is living in new albany. Not to mention the ease of logisitcs on the weekend if you live downtown.
As long as he has quick access to 670, his commute from downtown will be a breeze.
Agree on these points if your big in the bar/club/artsy scene. I'm not, so I don't worry a whole lot about that.

and I'm pretty sure this he is a she.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
ocdz

I'm not a he
i thought so
Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

and yeah I know there isn't too much hustle & bustle but I really liked the short north area.... My kinda stores & bars & unique art & whatnot. I really dont think new albany is my style.. My temp housing is in new Albany so we'll see. I've lined up a grip of apt viewings already so.. Yeah.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Brrcats

I'm not a he
well how you doin

lol

and yeah I know there isn't too much hustle & bustle but I really liked the short north area.... My kinda stores & bars & unique art & whatnot. I really dont think new albany is my style.. My temp housing is in new Albany so we'll see. I've lined up a grip of apt viewings already so.. Yeah.
agreed, its columbus, theres really not too much hustle and bustle anywhere. But like I said, as far as night life, contemporary atmosphere, etc. Short north/victorian village is a good place to be.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

ok so i spent the last two days driving around looking at apartments.... i expanded my search up to clintonville & down to grandview heights, because after a few viewings and chatting with some people i realized just how much more bang for the buck i can get just a few minutes outside of vic village or short north... found a ridiculously great place, under budget, in grandview heights, with a garage and lots of flat space to work on the car.... hope i get the place!!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

well how you doin

lol
lol, spoke too soon, 7 degrees this morning.

oh hi
Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Brrcats

ok so i spent the last two days driving around looking at apartments.... i expanded my search up to clintonville & down to grandview heights, because after a few viewings and chatting with some people i realized just how much more bang for the buck i can get just a few minutes outside of vic village or short north... found a ridiculously great place, under budget, in grandview heights, with a garage and lots of flat space to work on the car.... hope i get the place!!
agreed, grandview is actually quite awesome as well, a good mix of young adults and young adult families. I expect property values to increase in the next couple of years in that area as well due to its gaining popularity and the building of the grandview yard area.

oh hi
Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

thrilled that i got the grandview apartment. spent some time in the neighborhood yesterday, and i really liked the feeling of the place. families mixed with young professionals and a lot of cool/unique stores & restaurants & businesses.

i got a call from the truck driver that's transporting my car today... pretty hilarious.. the guy was telling me from the minute he loaded the z onto his hauler he's gotten countless questions and offers to buy it... every time he stops somewhere people gather around and try to figure out what it is (apparently they think it's gotta be a drift car) and he said he could've sold it a hundred times already LOL...... i'm flattered but i just need my baby to get here safe & sound! he said depending on the weather, he may be able to deliver on sunday... can't wait! i've only seen a handful of z's since being here, and only one was even slightly modified, just wheels.... guess mine's going to be a bit more unique here than it was in LA
Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM
ocdz

thrilled that i got the grandview apartment. spent some time in the neighborhood yesterday, and i really liked the feeling of the place. families mixed with young professionals and a lot of cool/unique stores & restaurants & businesses.

i got a call from the truck driver that's transporting my car today... pretty hilarious.. the guy was telling me from the minute he loaded the z onto his hauler he's gotten countless questions and offers to buy it... every time he stops somewhere people gather around and try to figure out what it is (apparently they think it's gotta be a drift car) and he said he could've sold it a hundred times already LOL...... i'm flattered but i just need my baby to get here safe & sound! he said depending on the weather, he may be able to deliver on sunday... can't wait! i've only seen a handful of z's since being here, and only one was even slightly modified, just wheels.... guess mine's going to be a bit more unique here than it was in LA
Weather has been in your favor so far!

Ya, it definitely will be unique. There are not a whole lot of modified Z's and most of them are not daily drivers around here. Unless the weather is great it's pretty rare to see any interesting rides. Nothing like LA that's for sure. This summer while I was there I was shocked to see the amount of stanced and exotic/modified cars everywhere.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Brrcats

congrat, its tough to find a good apartment with a big garage here. I've got a garage. but its so small that my passenger needs to get out of the car before I pull in, since I have to hug the right side so I can have enough room to open my drivers door.

needless to say theres no room to actually do any work on my car.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Shafes350Z

Default North In Ashland

Was going to say that if you are ever in need of better tires if the beater is not an option yet i have a set of stock wheels off my 04 z with plenty of meat left on them. Practically new that have been in my basement for the past 3 years collecting dust. I am looking for yet another set of aftermarket rims since my Axis rims spokes broke and almost broke of the hub the last time I was driving it. Could hook you up because they are doing me no good and don't plan on putting them back on ever. Just pm me if you need the set. Have all 4. Welcome to the wonderful weather of Ohio!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 AM
bajamike

Welcome to the area. You'll like Grandview. Good access to the freeway system as well to get to areas quickly. I like the Grandview feel. Don't know where you are specifically, but good selection of restaurants & food too. One of my favorites in the area is the Red Door Tavern. Nothing fancy about the decor, but I believe the best Reuben sandwhich in town! Get use to the Ohio State Buckeye feel when football season is in, especially at the Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

thanks guys! my apartment's right by pierce field in grandview heights.

my garage is pretty small/tight, but next to the garage there's a nice clean large flat area that i can use to work on the car.

i'm really really really looking forward to moving into the apartment.... this temp housing apartment is so bland and i feel like i'm living in someone else's house! my stuff's getting packed & loaded tomorrow in LA and it'll take up to two weeks to get here... can't waitttttt!!!!

if it doesn't snow on saturday i may try to make it to the ohio G club meeting https://www.facebook.com/events/220248714733865/

regarding tires/beater: so far so good..... yesterday morning was the first time i've ever driven in snow and admittedly it scared the crap out of me but the car handled it relatively well, all things considered.... just a little bit of loss of traction... not too bad. i *was* driving disgustingly slowly... yeah i was the driver going 20 in a 45 zone holding up a line of traffic and i haven't encountered any ice on the roads yet so.... i think i'm OK for now.. unless it gets really really effing cold/icy/snowy... i'm just crossing my fingers it's not gonna get any worse than this..
here's a pic i snapped yesterday morning before i got in the car..

oh yeah one question - it seems like this cold weather is doing something to the ebrake sensor (???). the brake light is staying on until i've been driving a few minutes.... i'm guessing this is normal, i *think* i remember it happening in the past when it dipped into the 30's in LA.. yay/nay?
Attached Thumbnails moving to columbus from los angeles!-424171_10101004406248633_1201258_62718410_874557715_n.jpg  
Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 AM
ocdz

i'm really really really looking forward to moving into the apartment.... this temp housing apartment is so bland and i feel like i'm living in someone else's house!
oh yeah one question - it seems like this cold weather is doing something to the ebrake sensor (???). the brake light is staying on until i've been driving a few minutes.... i'm guessing this is normal, i *think* i remember it happening in the past when it dipped into the 30's in LA.. yay/nay?
Looks like you live in the same apartments my friend lives in. Of course they all pretty much look the same.

I don't know about that ebrake thing, mine never did that. Although I don't use the parking brake in my truck for fear it may freeze and I won't be able to take it off. As long as it goes away I wouldn't worry about it.

Be careful with those volks!

Quick Reply: moving to columbus from los angeles!