Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

moving to columbus from los angeles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default moving to columbus from los angeles!

hey guys! i'm moving from los angeles to columbus, ohio, having recently accepted a great job offer. the move is going to happen within the next 3 weeks, and my z's going to be flat-bedded out there.

having never really driven in cold/bad weather, save for the occasional rainstorm/cold snap we get here in LA, i'm a little freaked out... eventually i want to get a beater for under $2k but until then my lowered, modded z, running on 19" volks with hangook high performance tires, is going to have to cut it.... yes i know, i should get winter tires but that's just not in the budget right now (and anyway, i'd rather spend that $$ on a beater)

can you guys tell me how bad the roads get? my commute will be from downtown columbus (or surrounding areas, haven't found a place yet) to new albany. seems like a pretty short commute especially since i'll be going against the flow of traffic. any tips on driving in ohio weather? or should i be worrying more about the salt?

also... shop recommendations will be appreciated!!! within the next few months (probably when it warms up) i'm going to need coilovers and possibly some other work done.. and i need a great shop i can trust with the job.

what kind of oil do you guys run in your z's in the wintertime? i can handle oil changes myself, i'm just not sure on the oil #.. right now run motul full synthetic 8100 5w30. i'm guessing 0w30 is what i need?

aaaaand of course, i'd love to meet z/g people in the area... i'm leaving a great group of car guys here, many who've i've become close friends with. let me know of local meetups/hangouts.

btw, not that it matters, but yes i'm a girl...
Old 01-13-2012, 10:14 AM
CRIDDA

Hello stranger. Best of luck with your new career.

Oh and the usual
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

lol hiya.. i know it's been literally years since i've started a thread... but i'm freaking out about my car and i know the best place to get advice is here!!!!! so help a girl out!!! lolololol. thanks for your well wishes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
CRIDDA

put some blizzarks on your stock rims for winter driving
Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

yeah no... no $$$ for new tires, just bought new rubber a couple months ago. and i'd rather save money for a beater, tbh.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 PM
350ZNISMO673

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed to Ohio in June also. I was planning to do the same thing in regards to buying a beater. Any help the Mid America Zs can provide is appreciated! Good luck with the move!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
EmpireDude
Vendor - Former Vendor

If you change your mind, I go to school in Columbus and have 06-08 stock rims with blizzaks (or if you still have stock 18's, I could give you a decent deal on just the tires) that I'm trying to unload because I picked up a truck for the winter.

Summer tires are rough in the snow and cold to be honest. Downtown also has good "main roads" but the side streets and alleys are a real pain. I got my lowered Z around, but you had to really work at it. They also kind of suck at plowing, at least where I am in downtown (Northern, the Ohio State University).

I run a 5w30 or 0w30 just because in the colder months, but I think most any oil you'd typically run will be ok, the others just warm up and drop in pressure faster from what I've seen.

As far as shops, what kind of work do you need done? I am more familiar with a shop here in Tipp City (north of Dayton) and hear good things about zerolift in Cleves (Cincinnati). I did my coils, lmk if you need a hand.

Glad to see another modded Z in Columbus though. I don't have my Z in Columbus now, but if you ever see this around it's me! And can you post pics of yours?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
ZSUNSUN

Welcome to Columbus OHIO area!!! (Im not in Columbus but in summer time I love driving around this area)

You better get better snow tire or beater soon! You will not able to go any place with what you got. We may have good winter so far, but you never know what weather will bring around here. Take our words, if your Z is only daily vehicle you have than consider it quick.

As for shop, try SlowMotion Motorsports in Sunbury, OH (They build my Z ) or Z Speedmotorsports (in Columbus)

Also check out and join OHIO G Club, great people to hang out with! Both Z & G, and I think few GT-R's and more.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

yes... first order of business is definitely getting a beater... i just need to get paid first!!! thanks for the shop recommendations!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

oh and i don't have ANY recent pix of the z.... modding has kinda been put on a back burner the last couple years... well except i got a new front bumper last year... so just imagine a 2006 pikes peak white touring with white TE37's with turquoise rays lug nuts, a totally abused amuse front bumper, lowered on tanabe gf210's, nismo cat back exhaust, and some other visual goodies like reverse/brake lightbulbs and tail light bulbs changed out, slotted & drilled rotors (i'm drawing a blank, i think they're stoptech), and some other stuff you can't see. so yeah.. that's my (recently neglected) baby..
Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Brrcats

Well welcome to the area, theres a handful of Z guys up here. I've just recently moved up to a C6Z, but still lurk.

You're going to have some trouble with those tires, especially if you're going to be driving to new albany from downtown. Highway speeds are going to end you up in a ditch most likely. I've been a fan of jeep cherokees as a winter beater, engines last forever and you can pick them up pretty cheap.

As for shops, I go to a place called IPS motorsports. They are top notch, and do great work. They've put a new clutch in my old Z, done work on my jeep, and will do work on my vette when it comes time. They have a really nice shop up near 23 and Polaris on the north side of town.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brrcats
Well welcome to the area, theres a handful of Z guys up here. I've just recently moved up to a C6Z, but still lurk.

You're going to have some trouble with those tires, especially if you're going to be driving to new albany from downtown. Highway speeds are going to end you up in a ditch most likely. I've been a fan of jeep cherokees as a winter beater, engines last forever and you can pick them up pretty cheap.

As for shops, I go to a place called IPS motorsports. They are top notch, and do great work. They've put a new clutch in my old Z, done work on my jeep, and will do work on my vette when it comes time. They have a really nice shop up near 23 and Polaris on the north side of town.
Welcome to Columbus! Like Brrcats said, only a handful of Z guys especially on here. Quite a large G35 crowd though which I usually follow on driver - Ohio G Club. Theres also ZROC which I consider "a bunch of old guys" but there are some good fellas in there like Robert who is trying to organize a huge Z meet for next summer.

Snow tires are NOT a must but all season tires are definitely needed. I drove my Z through one winter two years ago on all-season tires in northern ohio which is much worse than columbus weather wise. If you value your wheels I'd consider running a stock set or something else if it is daily. Salt wont be a huge problem if you wash your car. some roads downtown and on the southside are terrible. As far as the oil goes, yours is fine. 5w is rated for like -20 degrees which we rarely if ever see. I have a beater ranger now so I don't worry.

IPS is a good choice, pretty amazing shop and nice guys. Ohio G club will recommend slowmotion motorsports in Sunbury. They are a solid shop and do a lot of work on Z's and G's.

I've got some stock 18s on all-season rubber that sit in my garage.... I'll trade you for those te37s. lol

Last edited by ocdz; 01-16-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: oil?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

buahahaha no trades on my te's, thanks. i actually still have my stock 18s... damn now im thinking i should throw some all seasons or winters on there....... are there any relatively cheap but still good all season/winter tires?? ughhh i don't have time to do the research right now :/

thought of other things.... block heater? running full antifreeze?

i am definitely going to look for a beater the second i get up there. the company's putting me up in temp housing for 30 days, i'm hoping it's relatively close to new albany so i won't have to drive too much. i do NOT want to end up in a ditch... sheesh...
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

oh yeah... anyone need any OEM parts? exhaust, sways, springs, amber and clear corners (two sets).... i'll leave everything in my parents garage unless someone definitely wants something... all offers will be considered
Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM
ocdz

Originally Posted by onedirtyz
block heater? running full antifreeze?
no and no... its 45 degrees right now. was 20 yesterday which was about as cold as we've seen all year. you'll be fine with 50/50. You could run 70/30 if it makes you feel better but you really don't need it.

I have some goodyear eagle all seasons on my stock rears. They worked fine the one year I drove the Z in the winter. Just leave traction control on and you'll be fine. My truck is 2wd with no traction control or antilock brakes. No off's with it yet... knock on wood.

Don't worry about the ditch, I'd worry about the concrete median.

Since you're moving for a job in NA I have to ask is it a Limited or Abercrombie position?

edit: have any oem body parts besides the front bumper?

Last edited by ocdz; 01-16-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Originally Posted by slow03z
no and no... its 45 degrees right now. was 20 yesterday which was about as cold as we've seen all year. you'll be fine with 50/50. You could run 70/30 if it makes you feel better but you really don't need it.
yeah i've been following the weather there for the past couple weeks and haven't seen it drop below the high teens. good to know, thanks.
I have some goodyear eagle all seasons on my stock rears. They worked fine the one year I drove the Z in the winter. Just leave traction control on and you'll be fine. My truck is 2wd with no traction control or antilock brakes. No off's with it yet... knock on wood.
Don't worry about the ditch, I'd worry about the concrete median.
i really really really don't want to bring my stock wheels out and equip them with all weather or winter tires. for the cost of all that i can just get a beater... which is the first order of business. my goal is to find an apartment/converted house/whatever with a garage (that's my #1 priority... who cares about granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.. i need a garage!!), find a beater, and park the z for the winter ASAP. i just need to drive the z (carefully) until all that is figured out and i'm settled down.
Since you're moving for a job in NA I have to ask is it a Limited or Abercrombie position?
yup... a&f!
edit: have any oem body parts besides the front bumper?
haha i dont even have the oem bumper (there's a reason it was replaced ) but no... no other oem body parts unless you count the amber front corners a 'body part'...
Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
ocdz

edit:re-read thread

Why are you living downtown?
There are tons of apartments in the new albany area.

Either way all the roads to a&f are large and heavily traveled and therefore always cleared of ice and snow. You won't have a problem driving there.

Good luck with your move and job!

Last edited by ocdz; 01-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Brrcats

lol, spoke too soon, 7 degrees this morning.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM
EmpireDude
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by onedirtyz
buahahaha no trades on my te's, thanks. i actually still have my stock 18s... damn now im thinking i should throw some all seasons or winters on there....... are there any relatively cheap but still good all season/winter tires?? ughhh i don't have time to do the research right now :/

thought of other things.... block heater? running full antifreeze?

i am definitely going to look for a beater the second i get up there. the company's putting me up in temp housing for 30 days, i'm hoping it's relatively close to new albany so i won't have to drive too much. i do NOT want to end up in a ditch... sheesh...
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tire...ck-wheels.html

could give you a good deal on just tires. my buddy is buying my wheels.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

^^good to know but i'm reeeeeeeeally trying to avoid bringing out another set of wheels... but thanks!

Quick Reply: moving to columbus from los angeles!