Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

moving to columbus from los angeles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
MRRJP3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First welcome to Central Ohio feel free if you are a Facebook person to introduce yourself on Ohio G or ZROC pages and also the Ohio G Club forum is excellent for info. It's funny how things workout we lost one of our powerhouse cars to LA "Dal" and we have a nice looking Z come from LA. We got a lot going on this year, you will get a chance to meet a lot of good people.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice on Grandview, check out Jimmy V's sometime, I used to go there a lot till I moved to Worthington. Pats of Clintonville can be a **** hole so good job avoiding that bullet.

Welcome and be careful in the snow, very careful.

Im sure the car culture here is nothing like LA, but we got some good guys around here and some bad *** roads a little south (Hocking Hills). there is usueally a drive out there every year with the ZROC guys. Keep up on the forums and you'll see what all they offer.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
OCMan

Originally Posted by onedirtyz
hey guys! i'm moving from los angeles to columbus, ohio, having recently accepted a great job offer. the move is going to happen within the next 3 weeks, and my z's going to be flat-bedded out there.

having never really driven in cold/bad weather, save for the occasional rainstorm/cold snap we get here in LA, i'm a little freaked out... eventually i want to get a beater for under $2k but until then my lowered, modded z, running on 19" volks with hangook high performance tires, is going to have to cut it.... yes i know, i should get winter tires but that's just not in the budget right now (and anyway, i'd rather spend that $$ on a beater)

can you guys tell me how bad the roads get? my commute will be from downtown columbus (or surrounding areas, haven't found a place yet) to new albany. seems like a pretty short commute especially since i'll be going against the flow of traffic. any tips on driving in ohio weather? or should i be worrying more about the salt?

also... shop recommendations will be appreciated!!! within the next few months (probably when it warms up) i'm going to need coilovers and possibly some other work done.. and i need a great shop i can trust with the job.

what kind of oil do you guys run in your z's in the wintertime? i can handle oil changes myself, i'm just not sure on the oil #.. right now run motul full synthetic 8100 5w30. i'm guessing 0w30 is what i need?

aaaaand of course, i'd love to meet z/g people in the area... i'm leaving a great group of car guys here, many who've i've become close friends with. let me know of local meetups/hangouts.

btw, not that it matters, but yes i'm a girl...
lol...i'm pretty sure you'll be back in cali in 3 months

my company sent me to columbus (Easton) for a month working on Chase bank project. Midwest is
Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can't go back to cali yet... unless i want to pay back all my moving costs... which i don't. i'll be honest i miss home A LOT but this is the decision i've made and that's that....

i'm being careful driving... very very careful.... and it's gonna snow tonight which i'm freaked out about, but i'm gonna give myself a lot of time to get to work tomorrow, very very slowly LOL.

yeah i've joined up the ohio G club on fb.... i really wanted to go to that meeting on saturday but the snow scared me

Last edited by onedirtyz; 02-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM
TripleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a he
pics, or we don't believe you, lol, on a serious note welcome to the wonderful weather of Ohio, like others have said, this may not be LA but it is a cool place to live and there are a lot of good guys around with Z's, and G's.

Here is a pic of the one year I had to drive my Z, I think it was Winter 2009. Notice tow hook is in, they are not for show, they really do serve a purpose, even if it isn't a race car. lol

Now if it is real bad I can just drive the deuce and a half (6X6)

Last edited by TripleD; 02-16-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

ehhhh i'm over having to prove that i'm a girl... just believe me, i'm a girl LOL

ok that pic with the mountains of snow is scary.... i do believe i'll be investing in a second car come next winter. i was actually thinking about leasing a subie.... i've always realllllly liked the wrx..... and the weather here gives me a reason to get one, at least for 36 months or something.. we'll see.

i should probably put my tow hook in, yeah... the amuse front bumper kinda gets in the way though, you sort of have to force it up to screw the hook in and even then you can only get it through like half the thread.

also: ok i love your giant truck.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:38 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

OH i have a non-car question for you guys.... i'm doing some comparison shopping online for tv/internet packages (don't need a house phone)........ i'm kinda spoiled as i've always had all the premium channels with on demand & HD.... seems like WOW (i dont even know wtf this is) is rolling up higher $$$-wise than time warner. what're your experiences with both companies? also looks like comcast doesn't service the 43212 area?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 AM
bajamike

Typically, Time Warner has a bundled package for one year $99-$125 special. I realize you get a land line within the package. All the add ons go up from there. May want to try Dish Network? Plus you take it with you when you move.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OH i have a non-car question for you guys.... i'm doing some comparison shopping online for tv/internet packages (don't need a house phone)........ i'm kinda spoiled as i've always had all the premium channels with on demand & HD.... seems like WOW (i dont even know wtf this is) is rolling up higher $$$-wise than time warner. what're your experiences with both companies? also looks like comcast doesn't service the 43212 area?
I've had wow (wide open west) and time warner in the past. They are both similar. Time Warner has worse customer service. You will be able to haggle both companies on price because they will always do some sort of "promotion" for you if you tell them them other company offered a better deal. This has worked for me several times in the past. At the very least they will give you DVR service for the same price as standard cable.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:49 AM
CRIDDA

Get direct tv. If you do, let me know and I can give you my account # and we both get a $100 off for a year of service. I love my direct tv. They have more HD than anybody and have DVR. With their new dish, I have only had it go out one time when we had a tornado and it was only out for like 5 minutes tops.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

can i get hbo, showtime, & other premium channels with direct tv? i've never had direct tv... i babysat for a couple that had it and i COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO WORK IT... drove me crazy. i assume it's actually simple and i was just an idiot with the remote.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 AM
CRIDDA

can i get hbo, showtime, & other premium channels with direct tv? i've never had direct tv... i babysat for a couple that had it and i COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO WORK IT... drove me crazy. i assume it's actually simple and i was just an idiot with the remote.
YEP. You can get all of those. It is real simple to operate as well. Also DirecTv has more digital channels than all other. If you want to go this route, let me know before you activate and I can save you $100 for your 1st year service
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

ended up going with time warner cable.... sorry cridda!!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 PM
350ZNISMO673

onedirtyz, how's your transition from LA to OH? Any advice? I used to live in LA (South Bay), now in Hawaii and will be in OH in the summer. I think i'm going to have to some major beach withdrawals.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Brrcats

we have beaches, just the water isnt as pretty
Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
350ZNISMO673

And it's not beach weather year round like it is here.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Brrcats

sadly no, we've got two seasons in ohio, cold and shitty or hot and shitty
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 AM
kburg711

Originally Posted by Brrcats
Gotta love it
At least you're in central and not up by Cleveland! It's a lonely cold place up here
Old 03-29-2012, 03:56 PM
OCMan

Originally Posted by Brrcats
it's pretty much shitty all year round every year in the mid west.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by kburg711
Gotta love it
At least you're in central and not up by Cleveland! It's a lonely cold place up here
yeah, i spent a winter in ashtabula

i remember one night when i left my cherokee with no snow on the ground and woke up to it being gone under 4 ft of snow. completely gone. Never seen anything like it.