Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Syracuse NY and vicinity Z owners come forth!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
ZinMiami

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syracuse NY and vicinity Z owners come forth!

I work for a company here in Miami that is owned by a larger company out of Syracuse, NY. I have gotten and offer from my boss at corp to relocate to Syracuse for a fat promotion and raise.

I have been up there many times over the last 7 years, but for no more that 3 or 4 days for meetings and such. I have been there in winter so I know how the snow gets and the cold, etc, etc.

You folks that live up there, what can you tell me about living in the area year round since my visits have been short. What are the nice areas to live, etc?

Your input will be greatly appreciated. I have to make a decision within the next 2 weeks or so as to whether I accept or not.

HELP!
Old 08-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sucks... your life will be over as soon as you move there...
There is no social life there, and the overall feeling is depressed.
The only place where people are having fun is the University, so if you are up to hanging out with college kids, getting high and drunk and being happy with that, go for it. If you want something more out of life, DON'T GO. I am not living there currently, but have spent t five years there, I know what I am talking about.

P.S. you can forget about having a Z there...an STI with a rally package is more like it.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:55 PM
scottiej82

I live in Rochester, NY which is about an hour and a half away. There are things to do, but the Z scene isn't huge. There are some great sports in the area and if you live in between Syracuse and Rochester there are some great wineries and other scenic things to do. Also Roger Burdick Nissan is close by, thats where I got my Z. They have been nothing but the best to me and they're holding this years Z meet this weekend. If you're into the big city life in Miami it might not be for you, but I've been here for 25 years and I enjoy it.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 AM
ZinMiami

I am no longer into the kid scene or the wild nightlife as I am 45 yo now. My life is at a different place now. Now, I do enjoy going out with family for a nice meal and other family type entertainment. I don't need clubs on every corner.

That said I am used to the fact that Miami is a place where you have may entertainment choices for us and as any big city variety is prevalent in most things. I have many concerns about moving, but if I stay I will most likely be loosing my job in a year as I am the senior IT resource at our division but all strategic projects, functions and decisions are being moved to corporate. The local department will eventually be a skeleton crew with no need for a Senior Director of IT.

I know I can look for work here, but I have invested 7 years with this outfit, I know the game plan and the players. I am being offered a VP position with the benifits that go with it. Even in Miami those offers don't grow on trees.

Anyone else from that area? I welcome more feedback.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:17 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question should be placed here in the Regional Forums:

https://my350z.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Old 08-12-2005, 06:41 AM
WangDoodle

I grew up in central NY just west of Syracuse in a town called Skaneateles. I lived there all through high school and College (Clarkson) and then a few yeas after. In 1995 I moved to the Washington DC Metro area. I am also an IT professional (software Engineer). The reason I moved to VA was because the job market in Central NY was horrible. All my family still lives up there and tells me it's getting better, but it's not there yet. Make sure that what ever company you’re planning on going to up there is going to stay there for the long haul or you'll be moving again. There is not a lot of IT up there.

Syracuse is an industrial city, or at least it was. They still have a steel mill and Alcoa (Aluminum factory). Machine shops and fabrication are the main staples for the economy. They used to have IBM, GE, UTC Carrier, Dow Chemical, formerly Martin Marietta, etc. They all moved out. Since they moved out the "city" has a definite hollow feeling to it. It's mostly small industrial and commercial outfits there now.

The taxes in NY State can kill you. Be sure to factor that into you picture.

Like anywhere, NY is what you make of it when it comes to things to do. NY City is a three hour drive from Syracuse it you just gotta have some real city life. The best advice (given to me by a former army guy) is to adopt what ever hobbies are popular in the area. Don't move there thinking that your Scuba diving career will continue to flourish. Up there it's outdoor living. Camping, hiking, all types of skiing, boating, sailing, fishing, hunting, etc. Syracuse is very close to the Adirondack Park. That park accounts for almost a third of the state. If you like hunting, camping, and fishing the Adirondack Park (http://www.adirondack-park.net/ ) is for you. Miles and miles of unspoiled trees and lakes. If you've thought about tracking your Z then you should look into Watkins Glenn. Watkins Glenn is a well known race track that hosts a number of NASCAR and other major events as well as local club events and training courses.

One thing on weather that most people forget to mention about Syracuse and central NY in general; it's cloudy. It's cloudy there almost year round and it can get pretty depressing. When it's sunny it's nothing less than stunning, but mostly it's cloudy. My understanding is that it's the second most cloudy place in the U.S. just after Seattle. What I'm trying to say is... It's cloudy. If you're into fun in the sun, think twice.

Driving is Syracuse is pretty easy. Most people up there know how to drive and stay right. It might be all the crap weather, but you won't find too many really bad drivers (I know you know what I mean, I've driven in Florida). When it comes to snow and ice and your Z, my advice would be don't worry about it too much. Syracuse is just south of the snow belt so doesn't get pounded too badly. They don't get too much ice compared to more southerly areas, and they're very well equipped to deal with snow. Usually within hours of a big snow storm most roads will be drivable. You should definitely look into getting another set of wheels with winter only tires, or a front wheel drive winter rat (like an older civic, cheap and reliable). If your not use to driving is snow, that latter suggestion is the one for you. In VA we do get significant accumulations every now and then. Since I can drive in snow, I put winter wheels on my Z and drive it year round here with no problems. I've had it in NY a couple of times during big storms with no problems. Remember, 4-wheel and all-wheel drive helps ONLY when you accelerate. Given proper tires, the only real considerations for a Z in the snow are driver experience and ground clearance.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 AM
ZinMiami

WangDoodle,

Thanks a lot. Your input is very much appreciated. The company I am going to is my divisions current parent company and has been in Central NY for 40 years and is doing well. We have a national presence now so IT there is done for 600 loacations in 15 states.

It will be around for a bit.

Again thank you very much for your detailed info and all the links.

Regards..............
Old 08-12-2005, 11:26 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by King Tut
This question should be placed here in the Regional Forums:

https://my350z.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Thanks for your useful input, but I intended for this to be in general forum so I could get folks that may be from there but left for some reason. I wanted a varied point of view.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Sr. Panza

I don't think I can add much more useful info to what has already been said but my friend moved to Ithaca about 2 years ago from here in Los Angeles. She definitely took a long time to adjust to the new atmosphere, weather, etc. Just be sure you're willing to sacrifice what Miami has to offer for your new compensation.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:00 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by Sr. Panza
I don't think I can add much more useful info to what has already been said but my friend moved to Ithaca about 2 years ago from here in Los Angeles. She definitely took a long time to adjust to the new atmosphere, weather, etc. Just be sure you're willing to sacrifice what Miami has to offer for your new compensation.
I hear ya!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:48 PM
WangDoodle

Again thank you very much for your detailed info and all the links.
NP. Let me know if you do move there.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:06 PM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by WangDoodle
NP. Let me know if you do move there.
Will do