Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Philly guys- May I have a moment please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 AM
ErinFaulk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Philly guys- May I have a moment please

I was curious if any of you guys are dropped and live in the city or travel in and out on a daily basis?

I want to lower my car, but I am not sure if it would be a problem.

I am a careful driver; mindful of the roads, potholes, speed bumps, high driveways etc.

If you are dropped what are you dropped on (coilovers or just springs)? And how much of a drop is it?

I was going to go the springs route because of the price would it be necessary to go the coilover route or will stock shocks be ok?

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if I want to do this first or do Test pipes or HFC's. But its all getting done soon.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can see my picture thread. I have driven two days into Philly and parked here since I lowered my car. I didn't have a problem at all.

I can also get over speedbumps without scraping! woot.

ok, here is a gratuitous pic:

if you came to a meet you can check out how low my car is LOLOLS!

Last edited by Motormouth; 04-01-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by ErinFaulk
I was curious if any of you guys are dropped and live in the city or travel in and out on a daily basis?

I want to lower my car, but I am not sure if it would be a problem.

I am a careful driver; mindful of the roads, potholes, speed bumps, high driveways etc.

If you are dropped what are you dropped on (coilovers or just springs)? And how much of a drop is it?

I have coilovers. and it's pretty low. I would say about 2 inches in the front and 1 3/4 in the rear. maybe more. I stupidely did not measure the before height but you can see the difference in pictures

I was going to go the springs route because of the price would it be necessary to go the coilover route or will stock shocks be ok?
honestly, I had springs and Iwould not do them again. coilovers rule... the handling is so much better, and they are worth the price IMO. stock struts will only last 30k miles or so on lowered springs anyway.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if I want to do this first or do Test pipes or HFC's. But its all getting done soon.
I would do suspension first. so much more gratifying then a raspy exhaust and a tiny bit more power. I have also done the test pipe only route.

ok so to answer your questions with my op-eds My answers are in BOLD.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 AM
ErinFaulk

Thank you Jayson, for answering!!

What brand of coilovers do you have?

Lol I know I need to make it to a meet. When is the next one?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Motormouth
Banned

my name is Tom actually (long story...).

next meet is 4/12. I think you signed up on our board, you can always check there.

I have Stance AL+ coilovers, 12k/6k spring rates.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 AM
ErinFaulk

Originally Posted by Motormouth
my name is Tom actually (long story...).

next meet is 4/12. I think you signed up on our board, you can always check there.

I have Stance AL+ coilovers, 12k/6k spring rates.
LOL I didnt think your name was Jayson, you did tell me Tom before.

I will see if I can make it that Sunday.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 AM
BlackZ05

I'm abit lower then Motor i think, but i scrapped all over the place going to the Ikea meets last year. Couldnt pull in an out of the gas stations or go over the train tracks an there was even some nasty pot holes i felt like i broke things on. I'm on Tein Coil over Kit.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Motormouth
Banned

or it could be the 1 inch lower lip you have that also sticks out pretty far

I think my car is lower what rim&tire sizes do you have
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 AM
BlackZ05

19s i forget the tire size the wheels have been off for a long time now. Yeah it could be the lip haha, it is tucked with the tires on pretty good. I almost rub in the back an the front is almost as close.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:56 AM
ErinFaulk

Hmm. So tire size and wheel size makes a difference? I think my rears are 275/30/19 and 19 x 10.5

Should I have a problem with rubbing?

I was going to probably go with Teins since I read that its the closest feel to the stock suspension.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
BlackZ05

Originally Posted by ErinFaulk
Hmm. So tire size and wheel size makes a difference? I think my rears are 275/30/19 and 19 x 10.5

Should I have a problem with rubbing?

I was going to probably go with Teins since I read that its the closest feel to the stock suspension.
you should be fine if i remember correctly i'm 275/35/19 in the front an 295/35/19 in the back an i'm barely rubbin if i do. I think alot of the guys are running 275/30/19's no problem. My Teins are loud an noise in the car during the winter time idk if its common but they squeak aton when its cold out.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 AM
ErinFaulk

Originally Posted by BlackZ05
you should be fine if i remember correctly i'm 275/35/19 in the front an 295/35/19 in the back an i'm barely rubbin if i do. I think alot of the guys are running 275/30/19's no problem. My Teins are loud an noise in the car during the winter time idk if its common but they squeak aton when its cold out.
I was just going to ask about the winter. Can you raise the stance, or would you have to take them off and replace them with stock?

Sorry for all the questions, I am new at modding and still learning, lol
Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Motormouth
Banned

what tein setup were you looking at?

and a 275/30/19 will be fine even with an aggressive offset. that is skinny and I doubt you will rub even going pretty low.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
BlackZ05

I got the basic i just leave them at the same setting all winter but i put my stockers on.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
ErinFaulk

I was going to probably get the Tein S-Tech springs right now, and then upgrade the shocks at the mid-end of the summer probably Tokico D-specs
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Motormouth
Banned

oh just springs? if you aren't doing the install, I would just wait or buy the shocks now. double the labor to save 400 bucks or so seems pointless to me.

Ray just got the tokico Dspec damper/spring combo. he hasn't installed it yet though, looks nice.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 AM
ErinFaulk

Thanks for the advice Tom. I ended up ordering the Tokico DSpecs 9, and the Eibach Sportline Springs. I think the 1.2 inch drop would be nice. lol Lets see how long I can keep my exhaust on the bottom of my car.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Jedi007

i'm gonna jump in here with some questions... i'm up in the poconos where its completely unpractical to be a Z owner ... anyways, i'm on the fence with lowering it or not.... I'm thinking of going with something mild. my big concerns are 1. like the OP I worry about destroying my car on PennDOTs lovely road.. and 2. excessive tire wear from camber issues... have you guys tackled this problem or are you just winging it? I just hate blowin through tires.

-josh
Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Philly350z

Erin i have the tanabe spring and dspec shock setup and i live it and i drive in the city alot its ok if u have a certain route that u drive but if ur just crusing around the city watchout we have some really nasty potholes
Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Jedi007
i'm gonna jump in here with some questions... i'm up in the poconos where its completely unpractical to be a Z owner ... anyways, i'm on the fence with lowering it or not.... I'm thinking of going with something mild. my big concerns are 1. like the OP I worry about destroying my car on PennDOTs lovely road.. and 2. excessive tire wear from camber issues... have you guys tackled this problem or are you just winging it? I just hate blowin through tires.

-josh
depending on how low you are, camber won't be an issue. it varies from car to car, so you will just have to find out. and also I would recommend getting a 150 camber and toe kit, or be a baller and get the SPL parts for a tad bit more. this will allow you to be sure your rear camber/toe is where you want it.

it really is worth it IMO.

Quick Reply: Philly guys- May I have a moment please