Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

garaged for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 03:59 PM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default G's flatbed

Hey Gerald, what's up with this? I caught it over on ZChickz. I guess that is one what of getting around town in your Z.
Attached Thumbnails garaged for the winter-flatbed.jpg  
Old 12-08-2003, 05:03 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Blues

That was the only way I could get to putter around with my zee in winter either that or the SUV....I have been banned from driving in the Zee.

G
Old 12-08-2003, 05:31 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy I'll have Z withdrawls for sure.

I'll be putting my Z away for the winter as well. The snow, the salt, the basic winter yuckkkkk..........will be staying off that car.
Instead, she'll be resting comfortably on a very large carpet remnant...in the heated garage - where she belongs for now.

Attached Thumbnails garaged for the winter-tuckedaway1.gif  
Old 12-08-2003, 06:21 PM
ProjectZ

Originally posted by ProjectZ
The best i can do is let it sleep in the garage all night, and then in the mornin drive it about a mile to the train station. I do need to figure something out for those days i come back on the train and its covered in snow. Maybe get a cover or something.

Have a nice sleep Whitetrack

Vito.
After what happened to me on friday, this wont hold true anymore. In the process of finding a beater for the winter, and parking the Z.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:58 PM
jeff

Vito, have you thought of getting Blizzaks? The problem you had was mainly due to the RE040 tires.

If you have the choice though, I would definitely get a beater for winter. Better to keep the Z off the road with the abundance of idiots who *think* they know how to drive in the snow...

Last Friday on my street, two cars got stuck going up a slight grade. A cop pulled up and asked if they had had an accident. They told him they were just stuck, so he called for a DOT truck. The truck arrived, but had a little problem stopping and ran into the two cars. Another DOT truck had to come rescue the first. This all happened in a couple of inches of snow.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 AM
JimmysZ

Default What type of hybernation plans do you have for your car?

Lets get back on track with the original post and what everyones procedure is for laying up a vehicle for the winter. Curious to know what others are doing.

Is it better to change the oil before laying it up or after?

Why change the oil at all?

Heard someone say they drain the oil completely and leave it like this till spring. ?

Last season I left my battery in the car and started it once a month. Drove it out of the garage and let it run for 30 mins. Never took it out of the car. Therefore had no problems starting it in the spring after hybernation. Also dead spots in tires are less likely.

Some say to add fuel stabilizer like Stabil or something similiar for the long winter. ?

Cracking the windows? why?

Car cover... OFCOURSE!

Any other ideas, lets hear them!

Thanks...
Old 12-09-2003, 01:05 PM
whitetrack

JimmysZ

Changing the oil removes the acids that might be lingering if you haven't changed the oil in the past several months or more than 3K miles. The theory is that you want clean oil sitting in the pan and not something that is corrosive.

As far as opening the windows, that only applies if you pull the battery. If you don't lower the windows and then pull the battery with the door closed you run the risk of damaging the window, the trim or both. Remember, the window goes down when you open it and if the battery is disconnected and you open and close the door without the power to lower it, you end up with problems.

Everyone you ask will have a different answer on what to do and that usually depends on just how long they plan to leave the car alone. I am sure that if the weather goes to 40 or 50 during the winter I will back it out and wash it and let the engine run.

I am betting that there will be more days where you won't be able to drive vs. days where it is good enough to drive. That is why I decided to take off the insurance (but not comprehensive). I may be wrong but at least I cut my insurance bill down and with three other cars, I can use the savings. The added benefit, no pitted windshield or chipped front end and trust me, that is what happens here in Connecticut.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:57 PM
notlownf

Mine (although not a Z) is going into semi-retirement. I'm going to drive it if it's really nice but other than that it will stay in the garage. I have a couple projects planned for the winter months. I'll probably start it once a week.

Will it hurt the suspension to be unstrung for about a week? If I want to put the jack stands under the suspension where would I do it?

On a seperate note, I'm meeting Victor on the 14th, are you guys (Gerald, Greg, Jeff) coming?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:27 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default That would be the plan

Although I cannot make a 100% commitment, I am going to try and steal a couple of hours to meet up with you guys. And, depending on the wintry road idiots’ warning condition, I may or may not bring out the zee. Anyway, I plan to drop off zee baby for a tuck here and a tuck there, getting ready for the 2004 season.

Looking forward to seeing you guys.

G
Old 12-10-2003, 04:05 AM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it rains tomorrow (as they're predicting) and is clear during the day on Sunday (as they're also predicting) I will definitely bring my car. I haven't taken it out of the garage in a few weeks.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:12 PM
jeff

I plan on being there, but my Z can't make a firm commitment. It all depends on weather.

Gerald, I guess we could have a Pathfinder meet.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:46 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally posted by jeff
I plan on being there, but my Z can't make a firm commitment. It all depends on weather.

Gerald, I guess we could have a Pathfinder meet.
Free rides...anyone?? It has a 3.5 liter engine, you know......with 4 wheel drive capability........want to climb huge heaps of rocks anyone

The roads are too slushy & messy for my HRE(s), never mind the Zee

Hope to see ya
Old 12-10-2003, 04:54 PM
burnt

What/when/how/who and most imporantly, where?

This weekend may be my designated find a beater weekend so I dunno if I can go.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:23 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Sorry Jeff, for a moment there it almost flew over my head........don't tell me.......you have one too
Old 12-10-2003, 05:26 PM
jeff

No problem Gerald. Yes I do have one as well so we can share the rides.

Hope to see you Sunday.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:48 PM
whitetrack

Gerald/Jeff

Instead of making it a Pathfinder event, how about a 4 wheel drive event? I'll come in my Cherokee.

Chris, I'm planning on coming. Are you driving down in the G35? I hear you're coming down to pick up some wheels.

Last edited by whitetrack; 12-11-2003 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:14 PM
notlownf

No I'm driving the wifes Accord. I don't think I could fit a set of wheels in my car.

Yep I bought a set of wheels, I also sold a set, so I'm dropping A set of wheels off with Andy B and then picking up my new wheels from Spydr.

I bought a set of track wheels. I wanted to be a little different and I haven't seen any G's with track wheels yet. I almost ordered the Te-37's but I figured I would try the not-so-traveled route first.

Looking forward to Sunday

Chris
Old 12-13-2003, 08:09 AM
notlownf

I think we might have hijacked this thread. If any of you guys coming Sunday are interested in selling your Z tube, I'm looking for a couple. Send me a pm and we can discuss $$
Old 12-13-2003, 08:58 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Are all of you still planning for the trip, should it snow on Sunday?

Gerald
Old 12-13-2003, 09:33 AM
notlownf

Originally posted by 350Zzzz
Are all of you still planning for the trip, should it snow on Sunday?

Gerald

yes. If It snows I'm still coming. The snow will just make it more exciting

Quick Reply: garaged for the winter