Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Nightmare In Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 04:46 PM
ProjectZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare In Jersey

Today was the day from hell. I get this birght idea to drive my car to work instead of taking the train, wrong move #1. It starts snowing like a mother F'er, so then i get this other great idea, lets try to drive it home, wrong move #2. Get about half way home, and you guessed it stuck in the middle of Rt. 3 in NJ. About an hour goes by, sitting there wondering why i didnt buy the Murano, and here comes a tow truck. He wouldnt tow me home so he left me in a Burgerking parking lot on Rt. 17 charged me $60 for a mile worth of tow and left me there. Now im home, the cars there and i have to wait till tomorrow to get it towed home. I did learn 2 things from this though, the traction control on the Z aint worth a-dolla fifty and some jaw-breakers and The Z is a SUMMER CAR ONLY. Im gonna buy a beater now, and park the Z for the winter.

Vito.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:51 PM
havabooz

dont pay to tow it tom....the snow will be gone on sunday
Old 12-05-2003, 05:57 PM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the Z definitely sucks in snow. The good thing is that you did not get into an accident. As havabooz mentioned, the roads should be OK Sunday morning for you to be able to drive it home. I don't know about Jersey but here in CT it's supposed to be snowing all day tomorrow. If that's the case there, your car should be safe for the day.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:17 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default Sorry to hear about your nightmare Vito

I almost took the Zee out today, but changed my mind and took the Pathfinder instead. Even with the 4 x 4, I was still slip sliding away; trying to avoid stalled, stuck and out of control cars.

What tires do you have?

G
Old 12-05-2003, 06:21 PM
JonsilvZ

Default Re: Nightmare In Jersey

Originally posted by ProjectZ
Today was the day from hell. I get this birght idea to drive my car to work instead of taking the train, wrong move #1. It starts snowing like a mother F'er, so then i get this other great idea, lets try to drive it home, wrong move #2. Get about half way home, and you guessed it stuck in the middle of Rt. 3 in NJ. About an hour goes by, sitting there wondering why i didnt buy the Murano, and here comes a tow truck. He wouldnt tow me home so he left me in a Burgerking parking lot on Rt. 17 charged me $60 for a mile worth of tow and left me there. Now im home, the cars there and i have to wait till tomorrow to get it towed home. I did learn 2 things from this though, the traction control on the Z aint worth a-dolla fifty and some jaw-breakers and The Z is a SUMMER CAR ONLY. Im gonna buy a beater now, and park the Z for the winter.

Vito.

I know how it felt. I got stuck once last yr and learned a lesson. OEM tires are for summer. I never got stuck today driving home from work. My Michelin Pilot Sport A/S grip pretty good in the snow.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:31 AM
Kenyon

didnt any of you guys bother to watch the weather channel or news over the week? it was all over the news. "winter snowstorm watch in effect on friday and saturday". well anyway, i saw a Z and S2000 abandoned in the same parking lot today covered under all that snow. how often do you see that? it didnt even cross my mind to take the Z out this weekend. that badboy is chilling in the garage till this snow storm clears up.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:02 PM
ProjectZ

The Z was flat-beded home this mornin, and had it droped right in the garage. Im still running the stock tires that came on the 18's, i guess that was bad move #3. Time to get a beater, and put the Z to sleep for a few months. I guess i leard a lesson, the hard way but still learned.

Vito.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:33 PM
edubbzzz

Yeah, Driving home from work on FRIDAY when the snow started to fall was BIGG MISTAKE #1. I almost got creamed by a bus when the Z decided it wanted to take the three lane road and not stay in it's one lane. Well, the Z is my only car so i was on the phone with my LOCAL TIRE SHOP, they are ordering me a set of ?BLIZZAKS for me rear tires and i got some sand bags for the trunk and, ummm yeah tire chains for the HEAVY SHYT.

P.S. Makes yeah thin about getting a STI for next winter, have the Z and the STI for the summer and then just the STI for the winter!!!!

LaterZ,
Snow'd IN
Old 12-07-2003, 08:16 AM
rouxeny

Just to reiterate, don't drive your Z on stock REO's when there's even a hint of snow.

Not unless you LIKE paying high premiums.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:38 PM
krutoydude

Default Re: Nightmare In Jersey

Dude, I work next door to Burger King, at PC Warehouse. My car was there till 8PM on Friday, that's when I finished work. At 8 I cleaned snow off my windshield and drove it home (Exit 172 on GSP) with traction control off and trying to keep the car in second or third gear so tires don't spin so hard. One hill I had to go sideways for 1/4 mile but I still made sure I parked it home. Well, I guess Russian driving skills helped me to get my car home.

Originally posted by ProjectZ

Vito.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:41 PM
krutoydude

Oh, by the way during that day I drove the van to Exit 8A on NJ Turnpike and right at that exit Silverstone Z with NY license plates got stock in the snow and looked like it got in a little accident with road divider. Maybe someone from the forum?
Old 12-17-2003, 07:33 AM
xjerseyzfinestx

Default ...

i defiently learned my lesson and so did my father...the first winter storm that happen a couple weeks back... around 6 o clock pm me and my father cleaning the driveway and since he thinks he knows everything... he decides to make me move my car jus back it up... and ooo man ..i couldnt get it back up the driveway...so he gets in the car and he trys ... then he moves it even more back so he could accelerate more... and ends up sliding all the way to the bottom of the street...i was soo pissed off..by the way i have a base model...i ended up leaving it at duane read around my block.. since my driveway and my street is on a little incline... we had to get it on flat surface ...but my god it was such a pain... the next morning we had to shovel all the snow that was around the z.. and ended up finally taking it out of the spot and got it up to my driveway with no problem... i have a beater though(95 cherokee).. out of the past 3 weeks i drove my car about twice... for a couple minutes... when it was all clear..the z is a pu**y in snow...take it out when its either dry or rain is not a problem..
Old 12-20-2003, 01:05 PM
kanenj01

for those of you whom have taken you z's out in the snow, you guys are brave! my z doesnt even know what snow looks like, i was driving the crap-audi A6 on rt 3e and saw people slide from the top of the hill by giant stadium till the first turn and buncing off the wall.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:05 PM
vics350

My car doesn't see snow either but today was beautiful out and the roads are fairly clean here because of all the rain we had so I was able to go out and have a fun drive. It's nice to do that once in a while. Hopefully we'll have a short winter as I can't wait until next year. There are some great meets being planned and I can't wait to get together with everyone again.

Happy holidays to all.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:28 AM
ProjectZ

I picked up a buick for 500 to beat on everyday (shareing wtih my brother) since we both go into NYC in the mornin. I have to register the buick soon so i can start driving it and park the Z. Cant wait till next season, for the first big meet.

Vito.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:32 PM
JSE350z

sry to hear about the nightmare
Old 12-22-2003, 06:04 AM
fanatic6711

I live right off of the exit 8A on the Turnpike... but I'm a DB, not CS. I think I've seen that guy around though.... older guy? There's a few of the same cars around here, so idk..
Old 12-22-2003, 05:57 PM
ZPower

The Z is worth a crap in the snow, it's the tires that are the problem, not the car. Our stock tires are not all seasons, they are summer only. And the Traction control is worth a dollar fitty in the snow, no, it won't stop you from sliding or allow for snow driving, but it will give you as much traction with the stock tires as possible by cutting off throttle at the point of breaking traction. At least it works for me. Either snow tires or winter beater are a must. Chances are you will crash the Z on the stock tires. Hell, my car got sideways for no reason on a straightaway (ice-last 2-3 feet of snow storm in Boston), luckily, traffic was only moving at 5mph so people stopped in time. Winterbeater coming soon.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:30 AM
aspeedbuggy67

go buy a subaru for this weather and take the z out on nice days i love the Z but its just not as practical at my stage 2+ wrx. better strap on some snows on teh rear and start out in second. I have friends with z's and on those days they roll me with.

SCott
Old 01-07-2004, 04:59 PM
ZPower

WRX is ugly to me sorry (no offense). I think I'm getting snow tires this winter and probably a little Focus or small pickup for next winter.

Last edited by ZPower; 01-07-2004 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Nightmare In Jersey