Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

!!! court date for speeding ticket in 2 days!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:58 PM
resident25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
Since you're new at this here's the entire court process: you arrive early, sign the sign-in sheet and sit and wait and wait. When it's your turn to speak with the prosecutor make sure you are very polite and honest when you plead your case and tell him the facts about the incident. You want him to like you and get a good vibe from your demeanor so that he will help you. he may also ask how clean your driving record is as well. If he doesn't mention a plea deal option then try to suggest it yourself and inquire if you're eligible. depending on the circumstances (i.e. how fast you were speeding, anyone else involved or injured etc.) you may or may not be offered a break. but speaking with the prosecutor regardless will help your chances of getting out of there with no points. If the officer who pulled you over is there you may be able to talk to the officer before the prosecutor and cut a deal. If the officer is nervous about his case against you, he might let you off the hook. This just depends on your case, but at least ask.

After you speak with the prosecutor you'll sit down and wait again till everyone's gotten a chance to speak with the prosecutor. When your name gets called to go before the judge he'll rule on you and ask if you agree to the terms of your plea bargain if you pled guilty. Then he'll tell you the amount and ask you how you'd like to pay the charge (full amount or separate payments) Also bring cash cause some court houses don't accept check or credit. If you plead not guilty you will be given a trial date or you'll receive a summons in the mail with the trial date.

A likely and perfect scenario for you is that the prosecutor decides to cut you a break and lower the charge to careless driving which in NJ carries no points but costs like 400-500 bucks.

This is what will probably happen. Personally, I've gotten two speeding tickets that had 4 points each at separate times. Both, I got reduced to 2 points, but I had to pay more money for the ticket. The prosecutor will always help you out, it just depends on how much he wants to. They always want to shoot for a plea bargain so they don't have to do a trial that wastes time. What I did was take a defensive driving course online certified by NJ that automatically took 2 points off. I don't know if NY has a policy like this, but it is worth checking out. For NJ, I did the whole thing online in VERY little time, well worth the $40 to take the class.

P.S. I never hired a lawyer and I did fine, I'm not saying you shouldn't, just telling you my experience.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Sammzway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suffolk and Nassau county are the only places you can plea bargain. NYC doesn't do it nor do they care, you'll be guilty regardless of how far you drag the date. Judge won't even let you finish your story before he says GUILTY.

You can get a lawyer but there is a 50/50 chance it might get knocked down to a seat belt (depending on how well connected the lawyer is). If you get a lawyer now then you won't need to go to court, the lawyer will go and get dates for you and take care of the ticket (whatever the outcome may be). If you get a lawyer later then you're just doing all of his work (going to court to extend hearing date) and paying him to do nothing but see the judge on the day of your hearing.

If you ARE going to lawyer up then do it now.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
Since you're new at this here's the entire court process: you arrive early, sign the sign-in sheet and sit and wait and wait. When it's your turn to speak with the prosecutor make sure you are very polite and honest when you plead your case and tell him the facts about the incident. You want him to like you and get a good vibe from your demeanor so that he will help you. he may also ask how clean your driving record is as well. If he doesn't mention a plea deal option then try to suggest it yourself and inquire if you're eligible. depending on the circumstances (i.e. how fast you were speeding, anyone else involved or injured etc.) you may or may not be offered a break. but speaking with the prosecutor regardless will help your chances of getting out of there with no points. If the officer who pulled you over is there you may be able to talk to the officer before the prosecutor and cut a deal. If the officer is nervous about his case against you, he might let you off the hook. This just depends on your case, but at least ask.

After you speak with the prosecutor you'll sit down and wait again till everyone's gotten a chance to speak with the prosecutor. When your name gets called to go before the judge he'll rule on you and ask if you agree to the terms of your plea bargain if you pled guilty. Then he'll tell you the amount and ask you how you'd like to pay the charge (full amount or separate payments) Also bring cash cause some court houses don't accept check or credit. If you plead not guilty you will be given a trial date or you'll receive a summons in the mail with the trial date.

A likely and perfect scenario for you is that the prosecutor decides to cut you a break and lower the charge to careless driving which in NJ carries no points but costs like 400-500 bucks.
thanks man, this was very helpful. Now I'll know what to expect.

I hope NYC will be as good to me as NJ was to you

I just want to avoid points. Will update this thread tomorrow after I'm back.

Wish me luck guys. I'm goin in
Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
flecko28

in for results...good luck!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Legacy406

Received 3,290 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Ah man goes to show how little I go to Queens lol. Good luck tomorrow bro hope it works out for you.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM
SniperHunter

How'd it go?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM
NJVinny350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
How'd it go?
+1 Waiting on results.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
tquill

I would start by not posting details on a public forum. Another forum I used to frequent had more than one instance of cops bringing posts written by the offender on forums to court.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:24 PM
tquill

BTW I used a lawyer for my ticket, only cost 40 bucks. It's still pending, but dimissal rate is upwards of 80%.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:28 PM
themadhatterxxx

My 3 tickets in one traffic stop from June 2009 just got dismissed yesterday!

I hired a lawyer for $500.00

* Original Charge: Speeding 31 to 40 (8 pts),
Result: Dismissed
* Original Charge: Fail To Signal Lane Change (2 pts),
* Original Charge: Failed to present documents (0 pts),

like a bauss
Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 PM
floppymoppy1234

man... you guys are lucky... i had a speeding ticket on the LIE back in 2009 and went to court in july 2011

hired a lawyer $900

speeding...
11 points...
LOST

failed to signal...
2 points...
LOST

by the same cop

It was highway patrol and people told me they always show up and rarely lose... i got fwakeddddd

It was in queens by the way and the lawyer told me theres no plea bargains in queens you either lose or win the case
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 PM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Dam Steve that really suck.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 PM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by floppymoppy1234
man... you guys are lucky... i had a speeding ticket on the LIE back in 2009 and went to court in july 2011

hired a lawyer $900

speeding...
11 points...
LOST

failed to signal...
2 points...
LOST

by the same cop

It was highway patrol and people told me they always show up and rarely lose... i got fwakeddddd

It was in queens by the way and the lawyer told me theres no plea bargains in queens you either lose or win the case
Damn man....that really sucks

And so yeah, I went to court today. FAIL for me

Cliff notes below if you dont want to read

The cop showed up. I was greatly disapointed that he even showed up. But whatever, I wanted to get it over with.

Cop said his crap. I pled my case. Judge said, law is law. If there are no posted speed limits, its 30mph.

He then proceeded to say, that I had simply just made a mistake. He then went to check my driving record. Perfect record he says.

He lowered my fine, but KEPT the points! I was like ?!?!?!
But whatever, I just paid, and wanted to move on with my life. I went 18mph over the limit, so thats 4 points. Gotta take that defensive driving course now to remove those 4 points.

I went to drown my sorrows today by going to a water park (Hurricane Harbour)

Cliff notes:

-Judge said law is law. No speed limit sign = 30MPH
-Judge said I simply made a mistake, and saw my perfect driving record
-Judge lowered my fine, but kept the points
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Legacy406

Received 3,290 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Damn that sucks. They're pretty strict in NYC. I got an expired inspection sticker on the day it expired lol. I couldnt move my car for like a week because it was snowed in. I asked my dad if it was worth fighting and he told me to not even bother. They're crazy here.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 AM
scmtkings4

Yea it kinda sucked. Now my spotless record, has a dirty mark on it.

It ruined my day a bit

But i forgot about it a little when i went to the water park. it was HOTT yesterday

and just as bad today...

One question though. how do insurance companies work? If i take the defensive driving course, it will erase those 4 points. Will my rates stay the same as it was before?

And even though I will end up having 0 pts on my license, the speeding ticket will still be on my record. how does this play with insurance?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Navy561

i got one in ct last month
84 in 65

he only wrote down speeding but he pulled me over for lane change with no signal

he was like 5 cars back so he never clocked with radar im guessing

any suggestions...plead not guilty but havent got my date yet
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In NJ if you take a NJMVC approved defensive driving course you can remove 2 pts, but you can only take it once every 5 yrs. I know the course offered to Geico customers is an approved course. check with your insurance if they offer a course and see what's available for you to take with the NY DMV.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some insurance companies offer "ticket forgiveness" for the first violation, if you qualify or paid for that option.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:14 PM
scmtkings4

i see...

Well yeah the judge gave me an informational sheet for a AAA defensive driving course.

removes 4 points, and you can take it every 18 months I believe.

There is the option of a 6 hour class, or two 3 hour classes. And an online option.

Im either going to do the two 3 hours classes, or the online one. just gona look it up first tho