Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

It finally happened -- stopped for no front plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 AM
RocketCoffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm always looking for fellow Z drivers up here in northern wa, the majority of everyone seems to be focused around the sound.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:38 AM
DM4

I just do not understand this phobia about putting the front plate on a car. If it is required, put it on.

I have an '04 350 Roadster that has been modded with OZ wheels, RSR springs, NISMO sway bars, and a few other goodies. It also has the front plate installed.

I am taking deliver of an '11 BMW M3 convertible on Friday and it will have the front plate installed.

By the way, I am a retired police officer and during my career I had no hesitation writing tickets for missing front plates, tinted windows, and plastic coverings (tinted or clear) over the registration plates.

Quit being so neurotic and put the plate on.

Just to tell a funny story (me and my guys thought it was funny), I once had a traffic stop with a guy who was such a complete PIA that in addition to several other violations I also wrote him a ticket for having an obstructed high-beam indicator light. Yes, there is a specific statue prohibiting the obstruction of the high-beam indicator light.

Last edited by DM4; 01-22-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:12 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

I respect your decision to choose law enforcement as a career (I certainly couldn't do it), and I can understand writing a d-bag up for an obstructed high-beam indicator light if he's giving you a hard time; but when it comes to modifications, some people (myself included) can see even the OEM antenna as an eye-sore. So you can imagine how much a front license plate sticks out to people. I don't think they're being neurotic, I just think they like the clean look of not having one, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to drill holes in my bumper, aftermarket or not.

With that being said, it is the law, and people shouldn't be surprised when they get a ticket for not having a front plate, but I agree with other people in that a fine of $200 is retarded.

<<<<is glad GA doesn't have a front plate law

Last edited by abarclay; 01-22-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 AM
DM4

Originally Posted by abarclay
I respect your decision to choose law enforcement as a career (I certainly couldn't do it), and I can understand writing a d-bag up for an obstructed high-beam indicator light if he's giving you a hard time; but when it comes to modifications, some people (myself included) can see even the OEM antenna as an eye-sore. So you can imagine how much a front license plate sticks out to people. I don't think they're being neurotic, I just think they like the clean look of not having one, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to drill holes in my bumper, aftermarket or not.

With that being said, it is the law, and people shouldn't be surprised when they get a ticket for not having a front plate, but I agree with other people in that a fine of $200 is retarded.

<<<<is glad GA doesn't have a front plate law
Don't blame the police for the cost of the fine. The penalty is set by the state legislature. The police only enforce the laws.

I certainly understand people taking pride in the appearance of their cars. I have the short antenna on mine and I use the tow hook option to mount the front plate.

That being said, if your state requires a front plate and you refuse to mount it you can't fault the police for issuing a ticket for the violation. You made the choice to ignore the requirement so don't complain when you suffer the consequences. If you feel that strongly about it lobby your legislator to change the law.

For informational purposes:
1) Putting the front plate on the dashboard is also illegal. Most states require that the plate be mounted on the front of the car at specific minimum and maximum heights. There are also requirements that it be mounted horizontal, right-side-up, and be kept clear of dirt, obstructions, and other blurring debris and coverings.
2) It is illegal to have a license plate frame that covers any of the writing on the registration plate.
3) Telling the police the bracket broke, or was not delivered with the car, etc. does not work. Do you really think we are that naive, we have never purchased our own cars, and we live in some sheltered little world. You can tell that story and the cop may be looking to give you a break, but no one is believing that story.
4) We talk amongst ourselves and have formal and informal training seminars when new trends arrive.
5) You'll love this. We go to the movies. We use them as much for entertainment as we do for training. Some of the best training and enforcement tips and tricks I've learned came from watching films such as Boyz n the Hood, Juice, and The Fast and the Furious.

Last edited by DM4; 01-22-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:45 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DM4
Don't blame the police for the cost of the fine. The penalty is set by the state legislature. The police only enforce the laws.

I certainly understand people taking pride in the appearance of their cars. I have the short antenna on mine and I use the tow hook option to mount the front plate.

That being said, if your state requires a front plate and you refuse to mount it you can't fault the police for issuing a ticket for the violation. You made the choice to ignore the requirement so don't complain when you suffer the consequences. If you feel that strongly about it lobby your legislator to change the law.
Totally agree and I didn't mean to imply that I blame the police for the cost, it just seems a little unreasonable for the offense.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by DM4

For informational purposes:
1) Putting the front plate on the dashboard is also illegal. Most states require that the plate be mounted on the front of the car at specific minimum and maximum heights. There are also requirements that it be mounted horizontal, right-side-up, and be kept clear of dirt, obstructions, and other blurring debris and coverings.
2) It is illegal to have a license plate frame that covers any of the writing on the registration plate.
3) Telling the police the bracket broke, or was not delivered with the car, etc. does not work. Do you really think we are that naive, we have never purchased our own cars, and we live in some sheltered little world. You can tell that story and the cop may be looking to give you a break, but no one is believing that story.
4) We talk amongst ourselves and have formal and informal training seminars when new trends arrive.
5) You'll love this. We go to the movies. We use them as much for entertainment as we do for training. Some of the best training and enforcement tips and tricks I've learned came from watching films such as Boyz n the Hood, Juice, and The Fast and the Furious.
i actually bought mine off the show room floor with no front plate so not sure what u mean ive seen lots of cars w/o them from dealers, granted its a law and i should put it on but that **** is fugly and i think its worth it risking getting pulled over for not having one XD been pulled over 3 times for it and just warnings never been written up
Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Tatakai

If you feel that strongly about it lobby your legislator to change the law.
aka sit down and shut up, the law will never change.

front plate law is stupid, there's no need for it, except for the state to make more money.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:12 PM
DM4

Originally Posted by Tatakai

front plate law is stupid, there's no need for it, except for the state to make more money.
Maybe it is stupid, but if it required and you don't abide by the requirement, then don't complain when you get fined.

Then what about the guy that makes the argument that the rear plate is stupid and decides not to display it, because there is no need for it, except for the state to make money?

What do you do at work or at at school when your manager or instructor makes demands that you consider stupid? Do you abide by the requirement or just disregard it?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM
350LowLife

Originally Posted by Tatakai

There are quite a few laws the states make purely to increase revenue. And they usually have nothing to do with anything.

Rebel against stupidity!!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
350LowLife

Originally Posted by DM4
Maybe it is stupid, but if it required and you don't abide by the requirement, then don't complain when you get fined.

Then what about the guy that makes the argument that the rear plate is stupid and decides not to display it, because there is no need for it, except for the state to make money?

What do you do at work or at at school when your manager or instructor makes demands that you consider stupid? Do you abide by the requirement or just disregard it?
We can all agree that there is a valid reason for a rear plate. But really...what use is there for a front plate?

And at work or school if my manager or instructor requires me to do something stupid....I will flat out tell them " That's stupid, what's the reasoning?"

And don't even get me started on that click it or ticket crap. Or that my 13 inch wide tires extend beyond the side of my truck by 3 1/2 inches....or most other unusual or ridiculous statutes that have been passed by my states money mongers.

Last edited by 350LowLife; 01-22-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Tatakai

Originally Posted by DM4

im not complaining about getting fined, i was fined once and have put on a front plate ever since. im complaining about the lack of a reason for the law, all its good for is creating revenue for the state. there are other bigger problems that law enforcement should be worrying about other than taking 30 minutes of time writing people for stupid tickets that do NO harm to anyone at all.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
DM4

Originally Posted by 350LowLife
And at work or school if my manager or instructor requires me to do something stupid....I will flat out tell them " That's stupid, what's the reasoning?"

And don't even get me started on that click it or ticket crap. Or that my 13 inch wide tires extend beyond the side of my truck by 3 1/2 inches....
Hmmmm , I suspect that you are the guy that everyone picks on for no reason, that no one understands, that everyone is out to get, and you are smart and everyone is stupid and you know how to do everything better than everyone else. Yet you can't understand how all those others succeed and you don't. You kind of sound like the guy that received the ticket for the obstructed high-beam indicator light.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 PM
350LowLife

Originally Posted by DM4
Hmmmm , I suspect that you are the guy that everyone picks on for no reason, that no one understands, that everyone is out to get, and you are smart and everyone is stupid and you know how to do everything better than everyone else. Yet you can't understand how all those others succeed and you don't. You kind of sound like the guy that received the ticket for the obstructed high-beam indicator light.
Nope... you sir, are mistaken.....on all accounts.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by DM4
man your a ****en douche no wonder u got in law enforcement. Your prolly 5'4" 120 lbs gotta carry a gun and a badge and use your "authority" over people to make urself feel better. gtfo our local section if all you have to add is negativity to it. having an argument about laws and if there stupid or needed or not is one thing but u dont go around insulting and stereotyping him because he questions a stupid command, i did and do the same all the time if some one tells me to do something thats wrong or stupid or outrageous ill say something, im not going to just be a lemming and follow and line with the stupidity. Same thing with the front license plate when ive been pulled over for it i bring up the case that i have a nice car and i dont want to ruin the look with that fugly thing i have it in the car with me show them the plate and explain my case and theyve let me go everytime. granted they have been all nice and not Dbags like you probably were.

Last edited by ace32x; 01-22-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ace32x
man your a ****en douche no wonder u got in law enforcement. Your prolly 5'4" 120 lbs gotta carry a gun and a badge and use your "authority" over people to make urself feel better. gtfo our local section if all you have to add is negativity to it. having an argument about laws and if there stupid or needed or not is one thing but u dont go around insulting and stereotyping him because he questions a stupid command, i did and do the same all the time if some one tells me to do something thats wrong or stupid or outrageous ill say something im not going to just be a lemming and follow and line with the stupidity. Same thing with the front license plate when ive been pulled over for it i bring up the case that i have a nice car and i dont want to ruin the look with that fugly thing i have it in the car with me show them the plate and explain my case and theyve let me go everytime. granted they have been all nice and not Dbags like you probably were.
Wow.............tell us how you really feel.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 PM
RocketCoffin

I'm a firm believe in the punishment fitting the crime

How is a 214 dollar ticket for no front plate equivalent to going 25 over in a 60mph zone (which i got once)

One of those offenses certainly harms much more than other yet the punishment is the same

I've at the very least heard of a petition going around to get this over turned, we all no front plates help no one, including the po-po.

IF I was a cop I would enforce what I knew was right rather than just blindly doing whatever I was told without discretion.

Just because you have a badge that says you're a cop doesn't mean you have to be a dick like a cop. Be bigger than the title, stop dinging us poor a** college kids with ridiculous fines.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 AM
DM4

No one can force you to install the front plate; however if you don't you run the risk of being fined. You can argue that the cost of the fine is excessive; but he legislature sets the level of the fine for three purposes. The first is to encourage compliance to the law. Secondly, to punish those that do not comply. Thirdly, to raise revenue.

Ahhh, it's this third purpose that some of you believe is some deep seated, secret conspiracy. It is not. There needs to be a source of income for the municipalities, counties and states. Much of this money comes from taxes and fees; but a substantial third source, especially for municipalities, is from fines. Most property tax payers, myself include, would rather a larger chuck of the governments income was generated through fines rather than property taxes. And yes, at times, enforcement will be increased when a municipality is having budget problems. Big surprise, right.

NJ just eliminated bi-annual equipment inspections for passenger vehicles. This was done because the cost of the program was too high and it generated no income. Tickets were never issued for faulty equipment at the inspection stations. It was a money pit. When this was announced nearly every vehicle owner was happy. What was not advertised was that roadside inspection checkpoints would be dramatically increased. This is because tickets are issued at the inspection checkpoints for equipment violations, generating income for the municipality and the state. I can't imagine that there will be any leniency given at the checkpoints.

So, here's the trick. You will not get fined if you obey the law. If you think the law is unjust then you lobby your legislator, or join and work with an organization that lobbies for your cause of interest.

Just trying to help you guys out.

Last edited by DM4; 01-23-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 AM
DM4

Originally Posted by RocketCoffin

IF I was a cop I would enforce what I knew was right rather than just blindly doing whatever I was told without discretion.

Soooo, what you are saying is that if you were a cop and your supervisor instructed you to write tickets for equipment violations, including license plate violations, you would debate the merits of the violation as opposed to writing the ticket to the guy who refuses to display the front plate.

Refusing to follow a lawful order from a supervisor would subject you to disciplinary action. I do not know anyone on the job looking to risk their career and pension for many things, especially something as trivial as issuing equipment violation tickets.

Last edited by DM4; 01-23-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by DM4
Soooo, what you are saying is that if you were a cop and your supervisor instructed you to write tickets for equipment violations, including license plate violations, you would debate the merits of the violation as opposed to writing the ticket to the guy who refuses to display the front plate.

Refusing to follow a lawful order from a supervisor would subject you to disciplinary action. I do not know anyone on the job looking to risk their career and pension for many things, especially something as trivial as issuing equipment violation tickets.
yes ^ glad u understand finally
Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
DM4

Originally Posted by ace32x
yes ^ glad u understand finally

Now there is some sound decision making; risk the loss of a job and forfeiture of a pension for refusal to issue a traffic ticket.

Quick Reply: It finally happened -- stopped for no front plate