Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Scott Performance in Santa Clara

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005 | 03:07 PM
pisces9ca

Default Scott Performance in Santa Clara

Scott performance has a "true dual exhaust " with great dyno numbers of 10+ hp over NISMO, installed for about $850. Anybody tried them out? I see a couple of folk in NoCal aren't that hot for their products. What's the low down?
Old 01-05-2005 | 04:35 PM
mgl

Ted from Scott Performance came to one of the meets, he seems like a nice guy.

not too familiar with their products tho.
Old 01-05-2005 | 05:58 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-
Premier Member

the low down:

They can't even tell exactly what the hp will gain. They can't even tell how much weight you will save compare to stock. They try to sell me that one for me few months ago but i said no thanks. I went with Borla. On top of that, i don't even think Ted made that one. Some one made it and he resell it.

Ted convince me that they do the paint job IN HOUSE. They BS a lot about how hard to take out the center console, door panel and have to prime and sand..blah..blah.. and they charge $125/hours to do those task. So i said ok. Let do the center console..roll bar area and lower center console. Cost me $2800 for those paint job. Job delay more than a week. I missed 2 dealer appointment for car check up because of their delay, he said he will drop off the car at the dealer for me but he never did. Ted promises alot but hardly keep them.

Last month, i come back for another painting project and they want $3700 for the dash board, door panel. I am about to let them do again but accidently, i found out the shop that they contract out the job. Guess how much the body shop charge? only $2000 and they will take care ALL the prepping stuff and take out & put back the parts. This make me wonder on the first job, Ted being BS with me about how much work they have to put in for labor.

I don't have problem with the fact that Scott Performance send out the parts..but for god sake..just be honest by tell me they have to outsource those paiting job. They want to charge me $1700 for take out the door panel, dash board parts... etc

Just don't have the trust in Scott Performance anymore. Over price on labor and not being honest at all.

Last edited by Bubble; 01-05-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2005 | 06:57 PM
yobri
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Yikes... Good to know.
Old 01-05-2005 | 08:49 PM
WSchli1672

Thanks for the eye wakening Bubba. I had been referred to them till I got updated with LouZer, whatever, and a few others about Zcargarage and my contact has already been very very good with "Rob", which I'm in the process of planning on what THEY are going to do with my car.
Old 01-05-2005 | 10:37 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO
Premier Member

Yep. I was considering SP when I first started my modz but with all the horror stories I've heard...I'm SO GLAD I went with ZCarGarage!!!

Warren, you won't be disappointed with Rob and the gang. They're really easy to talk to and they know their $#!T. Make sure you get a ride on his APS TT Z!!! It's a definite MUST!!! When are you planning to go? I might stop by to get a few things done.

- James
Old 01-05-2005 | 10:43 PM
ZON

For what it's worth the exhaust was concieved by Ted and he has it custom built outside. Does anyone actually believe that a auto service shop builds exhausts. Most shops would not have the special pipe bending tools and such for that task. It doesn't matter anyway. I have heard the exhaust and driven Ted's 350Z roadster with the exhaust. It sounds very very good. As long as an after market exhaust doesn't loose HP then who cares. People want custom exhaust systems for the sound, and Ted's sounds awesome. To tell you the truth it is the best I've heard for the 350Z so far, and for the money. By the way you can tell just by looking at it that it is pretty light. Definately lighter than stock so who cares. True I do have relations with this shop but my opinion on this is not biased in any way. If I thought the system sucked I would either tell you that or I wouldn't say anything.

As for the other negetive remarks mentioned above I can't comment on what Bubble said of the paint finished interior pieces. Except to say the only thing I do know is that a lot of work does go into the prep work. I have no idea how much time it takes to remove those pieces from the car but I wouldn't pay 125 an hour even if it only took an hour. I wouldn't pay 3700 for that job either. (Sorry Ted but I have to validate myself, oddly enough, in your defense.)
When I fall out of love with my Borla then I will get Ted's exhaust. If the painted interior pieces were more reasonably priced then I might consider it because they do look damn good, that is if I had play money anyway, which I don't. Married with Children!
As for Ted I will say that he is a nice & friendly likeable man and he is talented. Has anyone seen the chopper he built?
Old 01-06-2005 | 07:54 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-
Premier Member

heheh, i see you edit your sig for this reply. BTW, are you the same Mike that quote me $300 for paiting the 2 smalll piece on the side then later Greg want to jack up to $600?

As for the exhaust, i think SP would have a better chance to sell it if they at least has some written down spec such as hp gain, weight different because i don't think anyone would spend out $850+ for an unknown product with lots of unknown specs from the guy that said he designs it.

Last edited by Bubble; 01-06-2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2005 | 08:24 AM
ZON

No I am not that Mike and I have nothing to do with the business. I just have a 350Z and I have known these guys most of my life. Good luck with your Z.
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:56 AM
KATZZRDSTR

i saw the specs of the dual exhaust. they were dyno sheets form a dyno jet. comparing the borla,nismo and the sp exhaust. the sp exhaust made a little more horsepower and alot more torque. 8 ft ibs to be exact. And it the best sounding z i have herd
Old 01-07-2005 | 06:23 PM
ZON

Originally posted by KATZZRDSTR
i saw the specs of the dual exhaust. they were dyno sheets form a dyno jet. comparing the borla,nismo and the sp exhaust. the sp exhaust made a little more horsepower and alot more torque. 8 ft ibs to be exact. And it the best sounding z i have herd
I think I remember hearing that. Well I definately heard the exhaust.
All this talk makes me want to go to SP and drive Ted's demo Z again. I think I need an exhaust FX fix.
One thing I like about the SP exhaust is it won't be mass produced, it's a great exhaust & everyone and their grandpa won't have one because they don't know about it.
Old 01-07-2005 | 09:15 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-
Premier Member

hehehe...few months ago, there are no info about that exhaust. I test drive and don't see the different much compare to the Borla they installed for me. Oh well... we all have our choice and SP will not be on my list again.
Old 01-07-2005 | 10:49 PM
WSchli1672

JameZ, planning on the 17th. Talking with Rob now by email and on phone. At present there's three Z's coming up together. A couple of my friends will be bringing theirs too. Rob said he would make sure the TT is there and we will have it hopefully all worked out to be begin that day. I am definitely looking forward to it, let it be a sunny day......
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:00 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO
Premier Member

Nice! What time are you planning to go? I might stop by just to hang out . BTW...tell him I said wassup! I might as well have him install my brakes while I'm over there .

- James
Old 01-07-2005 | 11:44 PM
ZON

Originally posted by Bubble
hehehe...few months ago, there are no info about that exhaust. I test drive and don't see the different much compare to the Borla they installed for me. Oh well... we all have our choice and SP will not be on my list again.
It's all about the sound, Bubba. Come on, tell me, tell everyone it sounds like crap. Do that and I know you are completely full of crap about everything you say. You know your full of crap, don't you?
Old 01-08-2005 | 12:53 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-
Premier Member

nah...i never said they sound like crap. I don't like it because few month ago, when i was at their shop:

1. Ted couldn't tell me how much hp it can gain
2. Ted couldn't tell me how much lighter compare to stock
3. I don't like the way they sound and you can't expect me to like it. You use Borla yourself too.

I end up bought Borla at SP and they installed for me. Very happy with Borla. I feel bad for SP since they have some one try to defend for them like a kid.
Old 01-08-2005 | 09:33 AM
ZON

So why are you complaining about the exhaust? You did not buy it and his shop installed for you a exhaust that you do like. I like my Borla too, ofcoarse. You know Danny installed my Borla back when he and Rob were at SP, Danny did a good job. The SP exhaust did not exist back then.

I don't know, you seem to complain about everything you had to do with SP. It makes me wonder where you are coming from. Anyone can come up with a few complaints here and there about any shop. Nothing can ever be perfect and cannot be expected to be. Now there is this person who complains about everything and goes so far as to completely shoot down a man's business on a popular related internet forum. I am convinced you got what you paid for and you have absolutely no basis for saying all of those negetives. Defend my friends? Till the day I die. Your just a complainer and I feel sorry for Rob if you become his customer. I like Rob.
Old 01-08-2005 | 10:21 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-
Premier Member

the facts about Ted still:

* he promised lots but couldn't deliver. (in my case) Keep my car for 2 weeks when orginialy were told should be done in 3 days.
* He wasn't HONEST as he should be when he told me they have IN HOUSE paiting.
* Quote me one price and when pick up car, want to jack up to another price. What kind of business conduct is this?
* he seem nice but bs a lot to about how hard he put in the work. For example, one time he told me he will hook me up for a VERY GOOD deal on rim and turn out, he get it from Wheelmax (keep in mind, he will have at least 30% off from retail price listing since he can fax in your shop permit) and the price if buy direct from Wheelmax is about few hundred cheaper. When i told him about it, he was like... "oh..i don't know"
* He quote me APS for $14K while to my friend only $11k. When i ask him about that, he said: "oh..because i didn't know if i can do some short cut in installation" What if my friend don't tell me about his quote and i bring my car in to install, i will have to pay $14k. This is not the first time he quote me stuff that he never done before and seem like i end up to pay for his learning time at $120/hour rate. is it FAIR? i don't think so.

Lied after lied, bs after bs and you expect me not to say anything about it? Money is not grown on tree. Don't forget, i spend nearly 5K at SP , i see how Ted conducts his business and in my opinion, they are just think their customer are stupid and they can bs all they can. If the customer know about it, then they are like... "oh.ok". I still talk to Ted nowadays but ask me to endorse for their business, the anwser still NO.
Old 01-11-2005 | 09:17 PM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

Z Car Garage Rules.... Just stop by and see the Amazing Z's they've built!!
Old 01-12-2005 | 08:54 PM
ZON

Attached Thumbnails Scott Performance in Santa Clara-ted4_1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Scott Performance in Santa Clara